• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nabil Bentaleb

He did it several times today. Simple passes forward. That has nothing to do with who is playing next to him.

It has everything to do with what isn't happening around players in such situations. Look, I am not absolving him of blame, but the boy has been hung out to dry when work-shy, light-weight performances from the likes of Chadli and Eriksen have wholly contributed to our getting nothing from the game today. Far too often, our entire midfield was forced to go sideways or backwards because we simply didn't push on from inside-wide or FB positions.

I don't think he should be dropped, loaned out, fined, transferred, horse whipped, poisoned or anything like that, but, he is not the wunderkind some on here make him out to be. His passing and positional awareness being his most obvious flaws. I have read posts on here where people have crapped on about how the team should be built around him etc. He is just a player. Bentaleb is nothing special.

I was not referring to you at all mate, your opinion is clear and exactly that. I disagree and think the boy is future skipper material, but opinions are absolutely there to be shared without necessary agreement as we both know ;-)

I don't think he should be dropped, loaned out, fined, transferred, horse whipped, poisoned or anything like that, but, he is not the wunderkind some on here make him out to be. His passing and positional awareness being his most obvious flaws. I have read posts on here where people have crapped on about how the team should be built around him etc. He is just a player. Bentaleb is nothing special.

Spot on.

Said the very same yesterday but can't find the thread? Is an ok player no more.

nothing special? how many 20 year olds was the main midfielder in a top 5 PL side in the last decade?

He has been less effective end of last season, and poor so far, but to say the kid is nothing special is a bit overdone

Because of one game?
Did I say he didn't have potential
Did I say toss him away
o_O
No, I suppose you didn't say that. But, what kind of sign would it be for him to go from main man, to we don't think you're ready so we would like for you to go out on loan.

It would (and rightly so imo) tinkle him off. Bentaleb has more than anyone in our squad, bar Kane, earned the right to play for us.

It jus boggles my mind that alot of people suddenly don't see what the fuzz is about bentaleb..

As far as I'm concerned, we need to get him into form if we are to have any chance to fight for top four/five/six.

I disagree. I think that he is an excellent prospect and could be top draw if he fulfills his potential. But we need to remember that he is only 21 and entering his second full season in the first team. At that age and experience he will make mistakes and will have dips in form. If we are not prepared to accept that, we are going to struggle with bringing any players through from the academy.

Actually Maltese, I owe you a debt of thanks. You have, indeed, given me a bit of clarity and focus with regards to my initial question, 'what's the point'...as you rightly pointed out (and I acknowledged) the point is this IS a discussion forum where people MIGHT have a different opinion...

So rather than withdraw mine, I shall take your encouragement and air mine.

Bentaleb had a poor game. To hang him fort, to start waffling on about how 'knew it' or any of that sort of *******s, to pile in on a 21 year old playing alongside an unfamiliar partner, and to basically focalize him as the reason we lost today to simply suit an agenda is, in my most humble opinion, total and UTTER *******s!

Opinions on his performance today would, I suggest, be universal. To ignore the context behind it (and a couple of other mistakes from last season) is churlish, and the sort of troggy knee-jerking reaction I would expect from gooners or chavs after ONE game this season.

Before we prepare to loan him out and write him off, let's give it a little time shall we? He still has credit in the bank for the vast majority of supporters I know.

Thanks again, I would've not bothered saying any of that without your encouragement!
;)

I am so glad that I have made you see the light ;)

For the record I am neither calling for Bentaleb to be written off, hung, drawn or quartered and neither to be sent out on loan.

At the same time I do not seek excuses common denominators to explain his poor performance today or the fact that he has repeated the same schoolboy gaffe half a dozen times. I think he is a decent player, but unlike you do not think he's done anything yet to think he''s the cat's miao and far less that we will be building our future team around him. Indeed if we get someone like Bender and Alli continues his progress, I see Bentaleb as having a challenge on his hands to get a regular place on the team.

As you say, we have different opinions - which is the reason the board is so great to participate in...

I am so glad that I have made you see the light ;)

For the record I am neither calling for Bentaleb to be written off, hung, drawn or quartered and neither to be sent out on loan.

At the same time I do not seek excuses common denominators to explain his poor performance today or the fact that he has repeated the same schoolboy gaffe half a dozen times. I think he is a decent player, but unlike you do not think he's done anything yet to think he''s the cat's miao and far less that we will be building our future team around him. Indeed if we get someone like Bender and Alli continues his progress, I see Bentaleb as having a challenge on his hands to get a regular place on the team.

As you say, we have different opinions - which is the reason the board is so great to participate in...

Fair play Sir!
:)

I will take issue with your use of the word 'excuses' (I presume you meant me to see it as it remained in post). I would counter that in football, to view potential tactical musings as an 'excuse' is a massive, massive mistake; especially when we are talking about a kid.

I think a challenge would do him some good TBH, further, I think a challenge would do any class player good. Let's revisit what he matures into in a couple of years. We've all seen 20-21 year olds with talent blip in their first couple of seasons before becoming worldies...we shall see. I think he has 'it' and I think he will prove it (hopefully in our shirt). I think Alli is a top-drawer talent for sure. Not seen enough of Bender to call it, further, he is unproven in the Prem. I'd be up for the challenge.
Onwards we go...

I think Bentaleb came up against a very good Utd press. They closed down well. We are talking about world class players in almost all positions under one of the most intelligent coaches around. Plus our team had a ridiculous schedule this week including this kid. Stop with the knee jerking and let the season develop.

nothing special? how many 20 year olds was the main midfielder in a top 5 PL side in the last decade?

He has been less effective end of last season, and poor so far, but to say the kid is nothing special is a bit overdone

I'd argue, right now, to say he IS special is overdone.

Today was a stark demonstration of why bentaleb would benefit from having an experienced defensive midfield partner. One that he can learn off and one to say "calm down" when he is being sloppy. We have to look at the people who are working on the transfers and wonder how has it got to the point that we are having to shoe horn a young centre back into a defensive midfield role against one of the top sides in Europe. Any one watching spurs at the end of last season knew that there were 2 critical areas that needed strengthening in midfield and up front. Yet having played The first game of the season we are still waiting and we place too much expectation on our youngsters to carry the team.

Today was a stark demonstration of why bentaleb would benefit from having an experienced defensive midfield partner. One that he can learn off and one to say "calm down" when he is being sloppy. We have to look at the people who are working on the transfers and wonder how has it got to the point that we are having to shoe horn a young centre back into a defensive midfield role against one of the top sides in Europe. Any one watching spurs at the end of last season knew that there were 2 critical areas that needed strengthening in midfield and up front. Yet having played The first game of the season we are still waiting and we place too much expectation on our youngsters to carry the team.

I think that we are in danger of entering groupthink territory here

I think that we are in danger of entering groupthink territory here
Sorry mate what does that mean? My view is that Bentaleb and the team are not to blame for today's result but our clubs inability to get its transfer business sorted before the start of the season.

I disagree. I think that he is an excellent prospect and could be top draw if he fulfills his potential. But we need to remember that he is only 21 and entering his second full season in the first team. At that age and experience he will make mistakes and will have dips in form. If we are not prepared to accept that, we are going to struggle with bringing any players through from the academy.
I regard bentaleb very highly. But today he made a series of mistakes,he was having a bad game and there was no one out there to help him out, take some pressure off him. He needs to be supported as do all our youngsters otherwise they will be burnt out. The last thing they need are the supporters getting on their backs.

Sorry mate what does that mean? My view is that Bentaleb and the team are not to blame for today's result but our clubs inability to get its transfer business sorted before the start of the season.

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people, in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome. Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation of alternative viewpoints, by actively suppressing dissenting viewpoints, and by isolating themselves from outside influences.​

Sadly, we always knew today would see
I think Bentaleb came up against a very good Utd press. They closed down well. We are talking about world class players in almost all positions under one of the most intelligent coaches around. Plus our team had a ridiculous schedule this week including this kid. Stop with the knee jerking and let the season develop.

Agreed.

Further...

...I think (and to repeat a point I made elsewhere on the boards) it's very hard for young midfielders getting pressed by the likes of Schneiderlin to be on their game unless everyone is on theirs; that is how big games are won I am sure we'd all agree. And when we simply aren't getting forward into spaces quickly enough, when coverage is not there, or when defenders all chase the same spot, then problems will occur. In fact, the more I look at Bentaleb's thoroughly errant pass which gave the ball away, the more I see two additional phases of play which could've snuffed the danger out but didn't due to various mistakes.

Sadly, we always knew today would see

Agreed.

Further...

...I think (and to repeat a point I made elsewhere on the boards) it's very hard for young midfielders getting pressed by the likes of Schneiderlin to be on their game unless everyone is on theirs; that is how big games are won I am sure we'd all agree. And when we simply aren't getting forward into spaces quickly enough, when coverage is not there, or when defenders all chase the same spot, then problems will occur. In fact, the more I look at Bentaleb's thoroughly errant pass which gave the ball away, the more I see two additional phases of play which could've snuffed the danger out but didn't due to various mistakes.
I think we have to be careful not to see things that are not there. Bentaleb was not "pressed" into mistakes today. He was just sloppy perhaps overawed by the game or just not match ready.

Big fan of Bentaleb and he was bad today. That was an awful pass and he did it a few times. No excuses.
What I don't understand though why he didn't play between the Man U midfield into space for the FB to run onto. It seems something we as a team are incapable of doing yet after the goal Man U did it all the time.

The question is WHY was he the main midfielder? Because of his superior talent and potential, or because he was the best of a mediocre lot? And was he the reason we finished 5th, or did it have to do with what the rest of the team did too?

Back