• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

But I'm sure all the players we signed Poch would have ok'd though?

The way I understood it, the manager and DOF put a "wanted" list together and then it's up to the DOF to get them. So these are Poch's players, they may not be his first choices but I'm sure they're still his players.

We need more width. I'd have Lennon on the right and consider dropping Lamela. I'd want Lennon to stay wide and get crosses in. I'd have Kane instead of Chadli, just behind Soldado. Eriksen can play from the left, cutting in whilst Rose attacks down the left wing as an attacking full back.

Without the width, we get too caught up in the centre, we are unable to spread the play and we don't have players in space often enough.

Chadli has been decent this season but I think Kane would score more goals.

We all want Lamela to succeed, he scored two great goals midweek, but we need width and as we have no attacking right full back, who is match ready, then we need to consider alternatives. Lennon is the only one that I can see from our options.

When I started reading I was concerned that you may want Ade on the end of the crosses.... The man who gets out jumped by a concrete post. However what you have described looks on paper to me like a balanced set up.... And we it's not far off the system that worked in the past with pace and directness on one side and guile and stealth on the other

Worryingly the first half today was as involved as I've seen Chadli, he cropped up everywhere. The second half he was invisible though. And Lamella takes 12 touches to run pretty much into a defender when he had plenty of passing options before hand !!! So frustrating watching him

Your suggestion may well be a good short term option

But I'm sure all the players we signed Poch would have ok'd though?

The way I understood it, the manager and DOF put a "wanted" list together and then it's up to the DOF to get them. So these are Poch's players, they may not be his first choices but I'm sure they're still his players.

If AVB is to be believed, he only wanted 4 of the 7 S Club 7 members we signed last season.

If AVB is to be believed, he only wanted 4 of the 7 S Club 7 members we signed last season.

Interesting, if that is true then it's not very clever! I have no problem with the DOF system in the way I described it, but if players are being bought that the manager doesn't rate then it's just ridiculous and seems ludicrous that a clearly intelligient person in Levy would want this?

I agree that we have players that the manager does not want. I think that this season will be spent identifying them and then they will be replaced.

We can get an idea about how Pochettino feels about working with a director responsible for recruitment by his reaction to Cortese's resignation at Southampton.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...it-following-Nicola-Corteses-resignation.html

Arsenal are the only top club I can think of without a director of football/sporting director/general manager and I do not know a Gooner who would not welcome their old one back with open arms. Can you think of another club without one?
Who tells Mourinho, Van Gaal, Rodgers, etc "these are the players you are getting"?
The DoF depends on excellent communication and a resonant philosophy between Head Coach and the DoF. If this isn't there then accountability is unclear and muddied. Perhaps, this what Levy wants as he gets to be "Teflon" in the background.
The Head Coach should select the DoF, so if PoCH wants Cortese, then Levy should get him. If results are still poor then both Head Coach and DoF are responsible, rather than blame each other.

Interesting, if that is true then it's not very clever! I have no problem with the DOF system in the way I described it, but if players are being bought that the manager doesn't rate then it's just ridiculous and seems ludicrous that a clearly intelligient person in Levy would want this?

That was a typo, it was actually just 3 he wanted, I believe it was Soldado, Paulinho and Capoue.

Perhaps he just wants a yes man. I'm just spitballing here.

But also wanted players we simply Couldn't attract or afford

Such as? If you are referring to Moutinho, I'm sure we could have have afforded the fee although the wages might have been a stumbling block it makes more sense to me to spend more wages on 1 very good/great player rather than two OK/mediocre players.

We could have if we had a wage bill and transfer budget to match. I don't think that they are getting value for money out of the market at the moment.

They did it in the right order. Got a decent manager. Made some decent signings. Won a whole host of trophies. Got CL every year. Built a stadium. Bought better players. Got a higher wage bill they can afford through CL and greater attendences.

Us on the other hand....oh yes and we got great value for money in the transfer market.

Such as? If you are referring to Moutinho, I'm sure we could have have afforded the fee although the wages might have been a stumbling block it makes more sense to me to spend more wages on 1 very good/great player rather than two OK/mediocre players.

Two players I know he wanted were Hulk and Moutinho who are both on £100k plus and went for massive fees

I believe he wanted the Portuguese left back at Madrid whose name I can't remember and agin he would have cost more than we simply can afford

Is hard because we have more resources then Hull or Swansea, I guess Everton are the closet I could say. Anyway these clubs do not need to change the entire squads every few years as we do. Which is what I thought the whole point of the director of football was. You did not need to change your squad when you got a new manager because that manager would suit the players and vice versa.
This is the main flaw in the DoF strategy. Players are to remain and bring stability when the Manager moves or is sacked.
But if the strategy/tactics the Manager was trying to instill failed, hence he got the chop, then the new Manager is entitled to change the tactics/ strategy, right?
But the players were brought in to play the old way, now the dilemma is that "old Dogs have to learn new tricks" or be sold and surely new players to suit have to be recruited.
So how does the DoF bring stability?

Last edited:
Two players I know he wanted were Hulk and Moutinho who are both on £100k plus and went for massive fees

I believe he wanted the Portuguese left back at Madrid whose name I can't remember and agin he would have cost more than we simply can afford

We were close to signing Moutinho. We also allegedly put £30m+ bids for Aguero, unless it was some sort of publicity stunt. Hulk I agree would have been far too much.

I dont think we can talk when theyve been in the CL for the last 15-16 years. This is what I mean by us 'berating' other teams when in actual fact we would have loved the success they have had...

Theyre not perfect but we are far far FAR behind them.

They have a higher ceiling than us through, sadly, being a bigger club - but make no mistake they suffer from the same problems that we do in terms of squad balance and that's with the holy grail of one man over seeing everything.

DoF / one man it's a stupid thing to get hung up on because there is no set route to success. People want a spacegoat and for our fanbase it's the evil DoF undermiming everyone in his wake - seemingly on a mission to tear the club apart from within

I dont think we can talk when theyve been in the CL for the last 15-16 years. This is what I mean by us 'berating' other teams when in actual fact we would have loved the success they have had...

Theyre not perfect but we are far far FAR behind them.

Exactly. Some deluded Spurs fans STILL think Wenger is a dummy despite all the success he has brought them.

I would have loved to watch the calibre of the players he has brought to their club performing at the Lane week in week out. To say otherwise, shows a complete lack of footballing intelligence relegated to partisan nitpicking.

How low should our Expectations go? 12-8? 14-10th? I think we should be better than that, The question I asked was really meant for someone to put my mind at rest, and say actually yes good managers do need time, here is X he came good after a season. Here is XY he came good after 3seasons, preferably within English football.

SAF don't count as he is clearly an outliner in every sense.
Well Harry came good after 30 seasons, when he got the Spurs job without a DoF!:lol:

I don't know an Arsenal fan who doesn't wish that they still had Dein overseeing their transfer activity.

Good point - it's funny, since Wenger has truly been the single main man in charge over there it coincided with them falling away from being title challengers and having the same glaring weaknessess in their squad year after year

DubaiSpur =D>

I seem to remember the club stating "we shall not look to a summer of major upheaval, but rather to strengthen in key positions" and now we're in the middle our worst start to a season since 2008/09 with a squad still as flummoxing as last season, still unable to find a settled starting XI and with no fight.

Our current squad on paper is pretty impressive, when looking at our transfers of last year purely in context they were impressive, bar Soldado (who already was one), they all were rising stars....and maybe there in lies the problem. The last time we bought a world class player was Van der Vaart, that was the only time we bought a player and any trepidations for the season seemed to disappear, just hasn't happened since.

In all our system works but only to a certain point, as seen in the past (2008) when done on mass it falls apart with terrible consequences for the immediate season.

As my next door neighbour said to me once "If you have strong reserves then you have a weak 1st team", he maybe 82 but he has a very good point and for me it sums up Tottenham Hotspur right now....or at least is the tip of the iceberg.

Back