• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

The profit is there the same way the house that I own but I do not live in and let out makes only a very small profit(major roof work and a new kitchen in last 2 years) I keep a hold of it and put back money into it because the market over time will always rise and when I sell in 10 years to fund my retirement I will sell for a huge profit. I am not making a profit now but it is the when I want to sell because of the rising market value so I only have to keep it in reasonable shape to rent out.

And that is exactly why private ownership of football clubs is just wrong.

Given that it is allowed, we couldn't be in much better hands.

Currently most successful clubs are bankrolled - either by some gauche new money types or their state.

I'm pretty sure the successful German clubs are run the same way as we are (with regard to profit and investment).

yet theyre not successful. which German side on "our level" has won a European cup or done anything of note on the big stage?

we saw that Southampton played some decent stuff, so let's see if he can turn us into a bigger, better and richer version of that.

I'm all for giving someone time, and i think as he's here, Poch is that someone, but the 'let's hope he can bring to us what he did with Southampton' line is off mark in my view given that Southampton are better now than they were last season, and that's having sold their best 3-4 players!

yet theyre not successful. which German side on "our level" has won a European cup or done anything of note on the big stage?

In the big one:

Ajax in 95, Dortmund in 97 and Porto in 2003.

Every other one in the last two decades have gone to the Spanish two, Bayern, the privately bankrolled Italian clubs and United and Liverpool (and Chelsea <- scum).

The Europa League is more diverse:

Sevilla, Atletico, some tinpot outfit called Shaktar Donetsk from Ukraine, Zenit and CSKA Moscow from that other Mickey Mouse league, Valencia, Porto, Feyenoord, Galatasaray, Schalke, Liverscum and Chelscum.

I'm all for giving someone time, and i think as he's here, Poch is that someone, but the 'let's hope he can bring to us what he did with Southampton' line is off mark in my view given that Southampton are better now than they were last season, and that's having sold their best 3-4 players!

You could be right, but a lot of the Southampton players were very vocal in their support of Poch, crediting his methods for their improvement. There was certainly a style and an identity to their play. I'd like a manager to be able to implement that here, we are in dire need of it.

I'm tired of false dawns. Let's accept that we are quite average, we have wasted the Bale money, and just start again with a good young coach.

and how many of those are making profit or not bankrolled.

Dortmund were in huge debt, not sure how much they've cleared. Porto make their own money through buying and selling (but that seems to be very much frowned upon here. Naughty chairman, selling our best players). Sevilla and Valencia also sell to fund new purchases. Feyenoord and Ajax have dropped considerably in standard since then, but they too survive by selling off their best players,

Do good managers need time? Not advocating getting rid of pouch, but the thought occurred to me that wenger didn't need time nor did Jose, did Rafa? SAF ok yeah but that was a long time ago and who remembers how they played (honest question because I have no idea) a little closer to home Harry done alright pretty much form the off as did Tim.

Rodgers ... Well how's he doing without Suarez?

Do good managers need time? Not advocating getting rid of pouch, but the thought occurred to me that wenger didn't need time nor did Jose, did Rafa? SAF ok yeah but that was a long time ago and who remembers how they played (honest question because I have no idea) a little closer to home Harry done alright pretty much form the off as did Tim.

Rodgers ... Well how's he doing without Suarez?

You could be right. However, I'd suggest that the best results we've had with managers in recent years are those who have came in on the back of others really losing the fans, with expectations really low. Ramos followed Jol, Jol didn't lose the fans and expectations of Ramos were high -- he did badly.

Harry came in on the back of 2 points from 8 games. Expectations couldn't get much lower. He did the best of all.

Sherwood came in after it became apparent that the players we signed with the Bale money just weren't that good. He got decent results, and not much was expected.

Let's lower our expectations of Poch for this season, and maybe he can sort this sh1t out.

You could be right. However, I'd suggest that the best results we've had with managers in recent years are those who have came in on the back of others really losing the fans, with expectations really low. Ramos followed Jol, Jol didn't lose the fans and expectations of Ramos were high -- he did badly.

Harry came in on the back of 2 points from 8 games. Expectations couldn't get much lower. He did the best of all.

Sherwood came in after it became apparent that the players we signed with the Bale money just weren't that good. He got decent results, and not much was expected.

Let's lower our expectations of Poch for this season, and maybe he can sort this sh1t out.

How low should our Expectations go? 12-8? 14-10th? I think we should be better than that, The question I asked was really meant for someone to put my mind at rest, and say actually yes good managers do need time, here is X he came good after a season. Here is XY he came good after 3seasons, preferably within English football.

SAF don't count as he is clearly an outliner in every sense.

How low should our Expectations go? 12-8? 14-10th? I think we should be better than that, The question I asked was really meant for someone to put my mind at rest, and say actually yes good managers do need time, here is X he came good after a season. Here is XY he came good after 3seasons, preferably within English football.

All of the managers that you named came into clubs with decent squads and were given lots of money to spend. I think that the money is the difference between our performance and theirs not the choice of manager.

All of the managers that you named came into clubs with decent squads and were given lots of money to spend. I think that the money is the difference between our performance and theirs not the choice of manager.

Does that count for Harry as well?

Just thinking, maybe good manigerial fit would have been a better way to word it, rather than good manager.

I'm probably in the minority here but I think our squad is good.

Honestly, I don't know many. Took Klopp a couple of years at Dortmund before they won the league. But then he won a cup in his first season iirc.

Honestly, I don't know many. Took Klopp a couple of years at Dortmund before they won the league. But then he won a cup in his first season iirc.

Again another honest question as I don't know, did he establish the style in the first season? How long in to the season?

I think that it a massive assumption. A more likely reason for the make up of our current squad is the money that we have available for signings and wages.

Out of interest, can you name a club with an all controlling manager which you think we should be emulating?

I already named SOF, Mourinho, Wenger, LVG above. Almost all successful managers I am aware of in this country have the final (and crucial) say on all matters transfer related. Certainly they have to live within financial criteria dictated by the board, but it is inconceivable to me that the managers listed would be dictated to by a committee on who they should buy or sell. Still less that they would live with players foisted on them. Look what happened when Abramavitch foised Shevchenko and Torres on managers. That didnt work out too well as I recall.

Again another honest question as I don't know, did he establish the style in the first season? How long in to the season?

I don't know mate, I don't really follow them that closely. One of the other posters would probably have a better idea.

Back