• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I've come to this discussion late. Hadn't realised that it had become the "Farewell from Tottenham Hotspur, Tim Sherwood" thread. ;)

But since that seems to be the topic at hand, my two cents worth:

When Sherwood was first appointed, I was fully prepared to support him - despite reservations about his lack of experience (and qualifications).

And, in the league at least, he did a decent job in terms of points gained. But contrary to how some claim to have enjoyed the football his team played, I hated it. We scored more goals than we had done under AVB, certainly. But it wasn't good football. It didn't excite me. It was chaotic; headless; haphazard; and entirely lacking in harmony, with no balance between defence and attack. There was no discernible pattern of play; no evident route map to future progress as a team and a club. It was no more enjoyable to watch, as far as I was concerned, than the yawn fest that AVB too often served up - though for different reasons. If anything, it felt to me that we had regressed even further.

But maybe I could have stomached another season to see if Sherwood could grow as a manager, and his team with him, if it hadn't been for his off field persona. I could forgive the occasional gob****e outburst. But when it became routine (and clear that Sherwood revelled in the attention), I couldn't bear it any longer. The constant public ****ging off of players; the repeated shifting of any blame away from himself; the breathtaking arrogance......it genuinely made my skin crawl to see and hear him interviewed.

So come May, I couldn't wait to see him out. Whatever the (too small sample size to be useful) stats say, we're a much healthier and happier club now that he is.

Good post. Also witness his conduct and compare it to Gary Monk another novice who was appointed last year. Monk results weren't overall a patch of Sherwood's but who do you remember generally (even if not a Spurs fan) and why?

Last edited:
Maybe a better chance, but I believe Levy is a results driven man more than anything, there may have been other factors at play for all of the managers he has canned, but AVB, Redknapp, Ramos, Jol and Sherwood were all sacked because of results ulitamely.

=D>tickle my balls with a feather mate. I really don't want to be sucked back into the unfathomable maelstrom that was the Sherwood thread. I still have the scars from last time.

Three home games coming up, really got to try and aim for the three wins to hopefully build confidence and momentum.

I agree. I will cry endlessly if we fail to beat Saudi Sportswashing Machine after the way we played vs City away; It would be too typical of Tottenham and MoPo just has to stamp that out and get some consistency in how we play (I believe we might be starting to so that[-o<)

I'm not, mate. Like I said, I agreed with the rest of your post, but that statement itself was jarring and (imo) deserved to be challenged.

the trouble i have Dubai is that you didn't actually challenge the point i was making in your reply, you just dismissed the point out of hand and polarized my opinion with your own edited version of what i said.

Why exactly did Poch feel Kaboul and Fazio would be a good match up against Aguero? i really don't get the logical thinking behind that decision at all.

Why exactly did Poch feel Kaboul and Fazio would be a good match up against Aguero? i really don't get the logical thinking behind that decision at all.

Well, someone even said its 'not fair' paying Kaboul against Emirates Marketing Project/aguero. So then you have a problem because then the captaincy thing is a factor/handicap, and one entirely of our own doing. Some say the captaincy thing is overrated, but lets face it, its not ideal to drop your captain for the big games. Its in those games you need him for leadership when the chips are down, etc. There is often talk in here about lack of leadership on the park as it is. You can drop Kaboul for early Europa games, no problem. But against Top4 sides, to then sit him on the bench because basically he isn't good enough, then I think you open a can of worms and its even embarrassing. No idea why he was chosen as captain, so maybe it was indeed related to player unrest/revolt. Either way, with Daws leaving, Poch had the opportunity to choose his own guy.

Fazio was hailed as a great signing by Poch a few weeks back.

Now, if you are talking specifically about the balance of those two playing together then you may have a point, but still...

Last edited:
someone else mentioned that both both Kaboul and Fazio would have been at Spurs during the international break and that it's possible that they were both worked on with the manager with the City game in mind - not out of the realms of possibility that - coupled with the fact Vertonghen had played two games within the week leading up to the game.

I think the question of whether Verts should've started is a good one on paper but sadly, as we saw, he got turned inside out by the pocket rocket anyway. Onwards I suppose...

the trouble i have Dubai is that you didn't actually challenge the point i was making in your reply, you just dismissed the point out of hand and polarized my opinion with your own edited version of what i said.

Again, I'm a bit befuddled by that accusation. In your own words, we stopped buying young players and focused on the here and now (i.e, backing the manager, an equivalence you yourself put forward) and are now suffering for that largesse. I pointed out as gently as I could (given the mood that grips me when I talk about this particular topic) that we didn't 'back the manager' at all during the four years you held up as an example of us doing so, and that attempting to equate our current low with backing the managers we've had is just disingenuous.

Look, it is that false equivalence you put forward between (supposedly) backing the managers we've had over the last few years and the state we're in now that was utterly jarring and deserved to be challenged. If you'd just mentioned that our current problem is a lack of talented young players of the calibre of Bale and Modric, then that's fine and like I said, I'd actually somewhat agree with you on that point. But to go from there to equating our current lack of supremely talented young players with the backing given to 'Arry and AVB is, again, patently false given that there was little if any 'backing' given to them at all by our higher-ups, for various supposed reasons, some somewhat legitimate, some much less so. You can't say we bought fewer young players under AVB and Harry when we barely bought any of the players those managers wanted.

I personally thought other then the penalty, Fazio looked good. Especially considering it was his Prem debut against the Champions.

I think Poch is starting to sort out our attack, we create nice chances in the box, at times we pass well and the movement. Just got to do it consistently, and probably with an upgrade at centre forward.

Defensively, not great, but done well at times (away to Partizan and Arsenal). We might need an upgrade at centre half too.

Overall, there are some signs of progress. With how sh1te everyone is outside the top 2, we could still yet have a very good season.

someone else mentioned that both both Kaboul and Fazio would have been at Spurs during the international break and that it's possible that they were both worked on with the manager with the City game in mind - not out of the realms of possibility that - coupled with the fact Vertonghen had played two games within the week leading up to the game.

Solid point. Two weeks on the training ground working and preparing or just throw someone in "off the plane from an international"...

I think the question of whether Verts should've started is a good one on paper but sadly, as we saw, he got turned inside out by the pocket rocket anyway. Onwards I suppose...

Yeah. The form Aguero was in very few central defenders in the world would have been able to deal with him, nevermind our squad. Vertonghen looked no more capable of dealing with him.

I personally thought other then the penalty, Fazio looked good. Especially considering it was his Prem debut against the Champions.

Agreed. Even isolated up against Navas he did well. Has looked promising so far, hope he gets more starts after his suspension.

Again, I'm a bit befuddled by that accusation. In your own words, we stopped buying young players and focused on the here and now (i.e, backing the manager, an equivalence you yourself put forward) and are now suffering for that largesse. I pointed out as gently as I could (given the mood that grips me when I talk about this particular topic) that we didn't 'back the manager' at all during the four years you held up as an example of us doing so, and that attempting to equate our current low with backing the managers we've had is just disingenuous.

Look, it is that false equivalence you put forward between (supposedly) backing the managers we've had over the last few years and the state we're in now that was utterly jarring and deserved to be challenged. If you'd just mentioned that our current problem is a lack of talented young players of the calibre of Bale and Modric, then that's fine and like I said, I'd actually somewhat agree with you on that point. But to go from there to equating our current lack of supremely talented young players with the backing given to 'Arry and AVB is, again, patently false given that there was little if any 'backing' given to them at all by our higher-ups, for various supposed reasons, some somewhat legitimate, some much less so. You can't say we bought fewer young players under AVB and Harry when we barely bought any of the players those managers wanted.

Im on my phone so forgive my breifness...

I was refering solely to Redknapps time at the club, not AVBs. Redknapp wanted experienced players and that is what he got, he isn't a manager concerned with buying players for the future as he's not going to benefit. During that time, 3.5 seasons (?) we stopped buying potential Bale/Modrics and have been playing catch up since - we're now back on that path and hopefully some of the signings we make under the new setup will bare fruits. I never said we backed the managers to the hilt (which is what you implied) nor was i trying to absolve ENIC of any blame for the situation (as you said) - afterall it would have been well within Levy's remit to keep a DoF of sorts on board during Redknapps time and given the task of continuing to look for players for the future - he didn't and when Redknapp was sacked and Bale/Modric moved on, King retiring and the recent short term signings fizzled out we were left with a squad full of holes and lacking in top level quality.

Im not interested in blaming/pointing the finger - im just calling the situation as i see it and putting forward why i think we are where we are.

We keep breaking even as a club. The money that becomes available keeps getting spent in the transfer market. Are you asking for investments to be made by the owners?

There were clear cut obvious changes in transfer policy under Redknapp compared to the reigns that came before and after his time at the club. Who decided on those transfers if not the manager?

Head coach Mauricio Pochettino accepts Tottenham are going through a “very tough period”, but believes something special is in the offing – with silverware not too far away.

The past few seasons have been turbulent at White Hart Lane, thanks in no small part to the club’s frantic search for a return to the Champions League. Harry Redknapp departed little more than a year on from taking Spurs to the quarter-final stage of the competition, while successors Andre Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood paid for their inability to secure qualification.

Pochettino, though, is not under the same pressure to secure immediate Champions League football, with the five-year deal handed to him in the summer by chairman Daniel Levy highlighting a longer-term focus.

“I have enjoyed my four months at Tottenham,” Pochettino said, despite Saturday’s 4-1 defeat at Emirates Marketing Project. “We knew when we signed for Tottenham that we expected a tough period.

“We are in a very tough period in the club, but when you arrive to a club with big potential like Tottenham, a big club, and have the possibility to build something important, this is a very good challenge for us.

“I enjoy, but I try to enjoy it more than I am. I am aware of the results.”

Pochettino is confident that the players’ mentality is slowly coming into line with his philosophy, while they are also beginning to reach the fitness levels expected of them.

It took up to six months to achieve that at former club Southampton – a side he led to their best-ever Barclays Premier League finish last term – and the Argentinian reckons the “club have moved on a lot” since his summer arrival.

“It’s impossible for me to speak about previous managers, the previous philosophies, previous ideas,” Pochettino said. “Two seasons ago, Gareth Bale was here and the club sold him for £100million – now he is not here, there’s no Luka Modric and I don’t know. You have a different challenge or different target or objective.

“Now it is different. The club is different – the club takes another way. I have a clear idea from the club, from the board, and I agree and we need to build something special and Tottenham want to build something special.

“No better, no worse than before – different. We need time and to work hard and it is for that I am here.”

It is work Pochettino is convinced will bring with it trophies. The 2008 League Cup was Spurs’ most recent success, but they are fighting it out on four fronts this season, including the Europa League – a competition they continue on Thursday evening with a Group C encounter at home to Asteras Tripolis.

“I am sure that in the end we achieve something important,” Pochettino said.

“Maybe in six months, maybe in one year, or maybe in two years.

“But I am sure that the club, in the end, will achieve a very important trophy.”

worldsoccertalk.com/2014/10/22/mauricio-pochettino-says-spurs-are-on-right-track/

Head coach Mauricio Pochettino accepts Tottenham are going through a “very tough period”, but believes something special is in the offing – with silverware not too far away.

The past few seasons have been turbulent at White Hart Lane, thanks in no small part to the club’s frantic search for a return to the Champions League. Harry Redknapp departed little more than a year on from taking Spurs to the quarter-final stage of the competition, while successors Andre Villas-Boas and Tim Sherwood paid for their inability to secure qualification.

Pochettino, though, is not under the same pressure to secure immediate Champions League football, with the five-year deal handed to him in the summer by chairman Daniel Levy highlighting a longer-term focus.

“I have enjoyed my four months at Tottenham,” Pochettino said, despite Saturday’s 4-1 defeat at Emirates Marketing Project. “We knew when we signed for Tottenham that we expected a tough period.

“We are in a very tough period in the club, but when you arrive to a club with big potential like Tottenham, a big club, and have the possibility to build something important, this is a very good challenge for us.

“I enjoy, but I try to enjoy it more than I am. I am aware of the results.”

Pochettino is confident that the players’ mentality is slowly coming into line with his philosophy, while they are also beginning to reach the fitness levels expected of them.

It took up to six months to achieve that at former club Southampton – a side he led to their best-ever Barclays Premier League finish last term – and the Argentinian reckons the “club have moved on a lot” since his summer arrival.

“It’s impossible for me to speak about previous managers, the previous philosophies, previous ideas,” Pochettino said. “Two seasons ago, Gareth Bale was here and the club sold him for £100million – now he is not here, there’s no Luka Modric and I don’t know. You have a different challenge or different target or objective.

“Now it is different. The club is different – the club takes another way. I have a clear idea from the club, from the board, and I agree and we need to build something special and Tottenham want to build something special.

“No better, no worse than before – different. We need time and to work hard and it is for that I am here.”

It is work Pochettino is convinced will bring with it trophies. The 2008 League Cup was Spurs’ most recent success, but they are fighting it out on four fronts this season, including the Europa League – a competition they continue on Thursday evening with a Group C encounter at home to Asteras Tripolis.

“I am sure that in the end we achieve something important,” Pochettino said.

“Maybe in six months, maybe in one year, or maybe in two years.

“But I am sure that the club, in the end, will achieve a very important trophy.”

worldsoccertalk.com/2014/10/22/mauricio-pochettino-says-spurs-are-on-right-track/

Forgive me If I'm not entirely convinced by that sentence.

Back