• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

To be fair I think it was a pretty small minority overall who were so anti Sherwood (both on this board and others).... It was just that they tended to be a rather voiciferous small minority.

I think most on here appreciated the job that Sherwood did for half a season in getting us an extremely good number of points per game as well as improving the dull as dishwater spectacle that our games had become.

You may be right about it being a minority. But boy were they vociferous and abusive. It was horrible to read.

Football forums do not represent real life. Redknapp got a good reception when he returned to WHL this season, if you believed some of the people on here, most Spurs fans detest him. It's hardly like Sherwood was getting stick from our own fans at games like say Pardew is getting now for example.

Fair comments. I just don't get why so many Spurs supporters need to be so rude to our players/mangers. T'interweb is some kind of weird and wonderful parallel universe that relates to life, but not quite as we know it.

The criticism of Sherwood was just a reflection of changing cultural phenomena of instant access social media where everything is sensationalized and Sherwood ultimately brought it on himself by playing his media sessions like a panto performer and pulling stunts like inviting a fan into the dug out to wear his gullet.

He turned Spurs into a total circus which was for the benefit of his mates in the media but ultimately wasn't good for Timmy himself as if it wasn't for his behaviour I think his win ratio would have won him:

* a second season at least by Levy
* a grudging acceptance by even those who didn't like him personally
* patience from the players

I think you're far closer to the truth than we might want to admit there mate...

Don't think I've seen this anywhere. It's ITK, but interesting none the less. Especially the part about Vertonghen and Fazio:

trix:

Some bits and pieces I was told yesterday (originally posted at the end of September)

I had a decent convo yesterday with my man on all things Poch and Saints. I have already put a couple of bits up and was going to post the rest yesterday but then thought it was best to wait until all the post match hysteria had settled.

Anywho, Poch was thoroughly p*ss*d after the WBA game. Had all the players in for an absolute rollicking, and told them all they needed to sort themselves out because he was here to win, and he would not put up with players who did not feel the same way. It has become very apparent to him that training and match day attitudes are very different in some of the players. They have been excellent in training and have taken to his methods and ideology very well. It doesn't make sense that come match day so many of them just revert to their old ways and style of play. Andros is very much his biggest frustration in this respect.

I have said all along that Poch doesn't fancy him at all and doesn't think he fits in how he wants to play, but apparently he has upped his game in training, but come match day just forgets/ignores everything he has been asked to do. Poch has seen enough in training to think he can cut it, but he needs to turn that into match form very soon because he is still very close to being pushed out of the door the way things stand.

The players were told very bluntly that if any of them thought they were better than his philosophy, they were not. He has been told he has full control over who plays and who doesn't and those not in his plans will be transferred, or left to rot. Levy has told him he will be given time to get the squad to where he wants. Whether that is just typical vote of confidence stuff who knows, but that is what he was told last week.

Jan

Was not happy at being left out of the Prem starting 11's. He has NOT kicked up a fuss, and has NOT thrown his toys out of the pram. His main concerns are regarding his Belgian position and he knows he needs to be playing at at least Prem level regularly to get in what is a very competitive Belgian side. He almost missed out playing in the WC because of last season and hardly playing at CB. Poch had him in last week and explained it was simply a case of not wanting to play Fazio with another relatively inexperienced CB so split him and Kaboul just to get Faz settled. He will be first choice to play with Eunice as long as he is playing well. Verts understood and was very happy with this. Whether this has anything to do with his contract situation I have no idea.

Kaboul

Daws and Sandro were both very popular within the dressing room, and there were a few murmurs from other players being heard around the place bringing things down a notch. Kabs was the one who stood up in front of them all and told them all to stop whining and that they needed to pull together. Players move etc etc, Spurs carry on and get stronger. It as very well received by the players as he is obviously very well respected. Defended Poch's position, and yet also came across as one of the lads, hence the final tick for him getting the armband.

KO time yesterday I have mentioned elsewhere, Sky over ruled the Met bizarrely.

MS also mentioned elsewhere, was very close to being agreed at £18mil prior to his WC call up. He gets back and the price is £27mil. All because of how much Yanited and Pool paid for Shaw and Lalanna.

Expect us very much in for Rodriguez and another ST in January.

Remember this was all pre yesterdays match, maybe some of it has sunk in

update: Oh and expect to see more kids bumped to the first team squad before too long even the really young ones. even the u18's have been told if they are good enough they will play.

Hope this is true.

As I've said before I think there's something fundamentally a bit wrong about the attitude at the club. I think some conflict and friction could do us good and I hope anyone not 100% up for the job will be shipped out.

Not sure if it's getting enough attention, but Poch is relying quite heavily on younger and settling players. The only properly experienced player currently performing for us week in week out is Lloris. I think we'll benefit long term from the game time given to players like Rose, Dier, Bentaleb, Mason, Capoue, Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli etc.

Fair comments. I just don't get why so many Spurs supporters need to be so rude to our players/mangers. T'interweb is some kind of weird and wonderful parallel universe that relates to life, but not quite as we know it.

Plus a large number of posts on football forums are posted to get a reaction.

You may be right about it being a minority. But boy were they vociferous and abusive. It was horrible to read.

The most vehement and proud anti-Sherwood-ite owns and runs this website, so it is no wonder the minority were so vocal.

Personally I did not like Sherwood's lack of class, nor his media gurning, but I tried to stifle my feelings whilst results went our way... but as soon as he made some decisions I didn't agree with it was too easy to see him as a geezer-dun-well. He really was the Anti-Boas.

The most vehement and proud anti-Sherwood-ite owns and runs this website, so it is no wonder the minority were so vocal.

Personally I did not like Sherwood's lack of class, nor his media gurning, but I tried to stifle my feelings whilst results went our way... but as soon as he made some decisions I didn't agree with it was too easy to see him as a geezer-dun-well. He really was the Anti-Boas.

But it just wasn't on here. didn't spend much time on here during that time. Probably just as well :) It was sooo many sites, and I didn't like it all.

We even have a smiley in his honour:

:tim:

Just like with Harry though, his personality traits completely eclipse whatever he achieves as a manager.

What's wrong with that? It's amazing the way he charmed some fans on this board to the point where they backed him endlessley no matter how poor the results got towards the end.

If the rumours are true about dl backing poch, gd the sooner some of the players wake up to the new regime the better.

It's taking a while for Pochs method to show themselves and funnily enough I'd have thought we'd be more solid defensively before developing our attacking play.

However on current form our forwards look better than our defence but then I guess part of that is down to the Fwds not being as aggressive in assisting the defence as they should be. Really hoping to see stambouli in the team soon, think his tenacious defensiveness is something Capoue lacks. Mason looks good at the moment but the whole midfield needs to work harder Eriksen and Chadli and Lamela included. I actually think Lamela needs a rest up in the league, Kane should come in on current form.

The criticism of Sherwood was just a reflection of changing cultural phenomena of instant access social media where everything is sensationalized and Sherwood ultimately brought it on himself by playing his media sessions like a panto performer and pulling stunts like inviting a fan into the dug out to wear his gullet.

He turned Spurs into a total circus which was for the benefit of his mates in the media but ultimately wasn't good for Timmy himself as if it wasn't for his behaviour I think his win ratio would have won him:

* a second season at least by Levy
* a grudging acceptance by even those who didn't like him personally
* patience from the players

Fantastic summing up imo.

I was prejudiced against his appointment for coaching/managerial reasons, though I had heard he was an a-hole and a snake previously.
Sadly, he showed himself to be an a-hole and generally was another who wanted to pass the buck when things didn't go well and always blame others.
He was a coward as well (see his sitting in the stands at Liverpool and saying "he didn't think he could do anything to change things on the touchline, whilst he constantly questioned how much balls the players themselves had).

I suspect it's his conduct (not the results) that is stopping him from getting further jobs.

Results dictate everything, it's why Mourinho gets so many top jobs despite being a complete ****. I suspect chairmen are more worried about Sherwood's pedigree than his gob, people forget chairmen aren't football forum posters who analyse and scrutinise every minutiae of every comment a manager makes and attach more importance to it than results on the pitch.

I didn't want want us to keep Sherwood, but it more to do with his lack of experience than his tv interviews.

I think had he behaved in a different manner he may have had a better chance of keeping the job and would definitley have had more chance of being employed elsewhere.

I think had he behaved in a different manner he may have had a better chance of keeping the job and would definitley have had more chance of being employed elsewhere.

Maybe a better chance, but I believe Levy is a results driven man more than anything, there may have been other factors at play for all of the managers he has canned, but AVB, Redknapp, Ramos, Jol and Sherwood were all sacked because of results ulitamely.

Three home games coming up, really got to try and aim for the three wins to hopefully build confidence and momentum.

I've come to this discussion late. Hadn't realised that it had become the "Farewell from Tottenham Hotspur, Tim Sherwood" thread. ;)

But since that seems to be the topic at hand, my two cents worth:

When Sherwood was first appointed, I was fully prepared to support him - despite reservations about his lack of experience (and qualifications).

And, in the league at least, he did a decent job in terms of points gained. But contrary to how some claim to have enjoyed the football his team played, I hated it. We scored more goals than we had done under AVB, certainly. But it wasn't good football. It didn't excite me. It was chaotic; headless; haphazard; and entirely lacking in harmony, with no balance between defence and attack. There was no discernible pattern of play; no evident route map to future progress as a team and a club. It was no more enjoyable to watch, as far as I was concerned, than the yawn fest that AVB too often served up - though for different reasons. If anything, it felt to me that we had regressed even further.

But maybe I could have stomached another season to see if Sherwood could grow as a manager, and his team with him, if it hadn't been for his off field persona. I could forgive the occasional gob****e outburst. But when it became routine (and clear that Sherwood revelled in the attention), I couldn't bear it any longer. The constant public ****ging off of players; the repeated shifting of any blame away from himself; the breathtaking arrogance......it genuinely made my skin crawl to see and hear him interviewed.

So come May, I couldn't wait to see him out. Whatever the (too small sample size to be useful) stats say, we're a much healthier and happier club now that he is.

As we are talking about other managers - This was interesting:

QPR forward Adel Taarabt has hit back at manager Harry Redknapp over claims that he is overweight and unfit to play.

Redknapp launched an attack on the Morocco international after QPR's 3-2 defeat to Liverpool on Sunday, claiming Taarabt was "not fit to play football".

"I can't keep protecting people who don't want to run about and train, who are about three stone overweight,” added Redknapp.

But Taarabt has deepened the rift with his manager by claiming that Redknapp does not even regularly take training sessions, and then posing shirtless in a photoshoot in order to deny the suggestion he is out of shape.

"I am a professional - this is not about retaliation, this is about protecting my reputation," Taarabt said in the Daily Mail.

"I played in that reserve game for 90 minutes and if he didn't think I was running he could have taken me off. Maybe I didn't perform like I could because it was a reserve team game and I was protecting myself.

"My job is to create, bring goals to the team. Maybe he expects me to make more tackles. I am not this type of player. I can only get fitness playing Premier League. You can train six or seven hours, but you won't be fit."

Taarabt has made three appearances for the club this season after finishing the last campaign on loan at AC Milan, and has no qualms about criticising the way in which the under-pressure Redknapp is managing the team.

"The training sessions aren't the same standard as Milan, or what I would expect under another manager," he said.

"They are not as intense, the players aren't as motivated. It is the same as we used to do at Tottenham years ago. When we played West Ham he told the players "you're not fit, you're not this, you're not that".

"I said 'but the problem is we don't have any plan in the game, we don't know how to press as a team’. It's not about just running around, you need to play with your brain.

"After West Ham he said all of the team is not fit. After Liverpool, because the performance was so good, he said everything was perfect. What, in one week, he changed the fitness? Impossible."

Back