• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

It wasn't just on this board, the witch hunt against Sherwood was rampant all over the Spurs forums. I think a lot of people didn't like Tim even before he became manager, and they just loved the chance to rip him to shreds.

When supporters of the club start critisizing the manager/coach because he's of a 'lower class', you know the world has gone mad.

As for the initial bit of your post, like I said, the excuses for not spending during that period immediately after CL qualification were many and varied, including the 'Doing a Ridsdale' bit. But just don't try to paint that reality as 'backing a manager so hard that we're suffering for it now': that is patently not the case, and that is giving ENIC undue credit.

You're in danger of putting words in to peoples mouths there Dubai.

With everybody else rushing to push up their own stadiums while we struggled to go anywhere with our own for all these years, I expect the boost from the new stadium won't be as revolutionary as a lot of people here expect it to be. We will likely end up in about the same position relative to everyone else and all their own shiny new stadiums/stadium expansions (Etihad expansion, new Stamford Bridge, Anfield expansion + already existing Emirates and OT). Not saying it won't lead to increased spending, but a lot of the superiority we would formerly have enjoyed is now dissipating into mild competitive advantages at best and an even playing field with all the others at worst.

As for the initial bit of your post, like I said, the excuses for not spending during that period immediately after CL qualification were many and varied, including the 'Doing a Ridsdale' bit. But just don't try to paint that reality as 'backing a manager so hard that we're suffering for it now': that is patently not the case, and that is giving ENIC undue credit.

There isn't an excuse there are the cold hard facts of why we didn't spend bigger in the CL season:

* majority of our clubs players were on contracts where they got large bonuses or fee installments were payable to their previous clubs if we qualified for CL. The TV and prize money for the CL we received that season pretty much went entirely on paying for this and nothing was left over.

* smaller stadium capacity and particularly smaller corporate facilities meant CL match days weren't the massive wind fall for us as they are for Man U and Arsenal.

* as I've said we couldn't increase our wage capacity because of one scrape through the qualifying rounds of the CL.

There was no increased spending power the club had due to that Champions League run.

When supporters of the club start critisizing the manager/coach because he's of a 'lower class', you know the world has gone mad.

The criticism of Sherwood was just a reflection of changing cultural phenomena of instant access social media where everything is sensationalized and Sherwood ultimately brought it on himself by playing his media sessions like a panto performer and pulling stunts like inviting a fan into the dug out to wear his gullet.

He turned Spurs into a total circus which was for the benefit of his mates in the media but ultimately wasn't good for Timmy himself as if it wasn't for his behaviour I think his win ratio would have won him:

* a second season at least by Levy
* a grudging acceptance by even those who didn't like him personally
* patience from the players

I think it's to do with being a big gobsh!te; and you know it.

Oh and TS mentioning ref DID get a mention, though how many mentions do you want?
Again if he and Redknapp weren't such gobsh!tes, do you honestly believe they would get such vitriol?

Even those who don't/didn't like AVB would at least say he wasn't an attention-seeking gobsh!te, and that in itself means people like him garner more respect generally than the other two

No no, I totally get why people don't like them, just don't see the need to constantly have a go at them every day considering they both had good records, especially the former who managed our most successful season in years.

Oh you're right, one poster mentioned. If he said something negative it would have got 50 mentions.

Funny you mention AVB cos it's quite clear you can't let go of the fact that he's not our manager anymore. Managers with **** results get sacked, no matter how impressive they may be interviews or even if he's dubbed "the next Mourinho" just because he's Portugese and managed Porto :D

Last edited:
Fact is, we have four winnable games coming up in the next few weeks - three of them at home and then Villa away.
If we win all four, then we'll be about where we should be all things considered. If we lose any of these games, then the players are going to start coming under enormous pressure (quite rightly). For me, we've dingdonged about firing too many managers over recent years, and although he wasn't my first choice, i take the view that Poch can't be judged until the end of two seasons. The whole league is all over the place at the moment - Liverpool look pretty poor, Arsenal not much better and United can be one extreme or the other. We just need a run of three or so league wins on the bounce and things will look better and the next four games (Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Villa, Stoke, Hull and Everton) should all be seen as winnable games.
For me, the Capoue/Mason central pairing isn't the way forward - i know Mason had a pretty good game on Saturday, but i think we need something else there. I've really liked the look of Stambouli so far - I'd like to see him play in the league ASAP.

No no, I totally get why people don't like them, just don't see the need to constantly have a go at them every day considering they both had good records, especially the former who managed our most successful season in years.

Oh you're right, one poster mentioned. If he said something negative it would have got 50 mentions.

Funny you mention AVB cos it's quite clear you can't let go of the fact that he's not our manager anymore. Managers with **** results get sacked, no matter how impressive they may be interviews or even if he's dubbed "the next Mourinho" just because he's Portugese and managed Porto :D

I only mentioned AVB because he was recent; you can easily swap him for Jol, Ramos, Hoddle etc.

Of course all managers get sacked after sh!t results; just like Harry did.
The difference between Harry and the others is that the others weren't..well you know that already ;-)

Don't think I've seen this anywhere. It's ITK, but interesting none the less. Especially the part about Vertonghen and Fazio:

trix:

Some bits and pieces I was told yesterday (originally posted at the end of September)

I had a decent convo yesterday with my man on all things Poch and Saints. I have already put a couple of bits up and was going to post the rest yesterday but then thought it was best to wait until all the post match hysteria had settled.

Anywho, Poch was thoroughly p*ss*d after the WBA game. Had all the players in for an absolute rollicking, and told them all they needed to sort themselves out because he was here to win, and he would not put up with players who did not feel the same way. It has become very apparent to him that training and match day attitudes are very different in some of the players. They have been excellent in training and have taken to his methods and ideology very well. It doesn't make sense that come match day so many of them just revert to their old ways and style of play. Andros is very much his biggest frustration in this respect.

I have said all along that Poch doesn't fancy him at all and doesn't think he fits in how he wants to play, but apparently he has upped his game in training, but come match day just forgets/ignores everything he has been asked to do. Poch has seen enough in training to think he can cut it, but he needs to turn that into match form very soon because he is still very close to being pushed out of the door the way things stand.

The players were told very bluntly that if any of them thought they were better than his philosophy, they were not. He has been told he has full control over who plays and who doesn't and those not in his plans will be transferred, or left to rot. Levy has told him he will be given time to get the squad to where he wants. Whether that is just typical vote of confidence stuff who knows, but that is what he was told last week.

Jan

Was not happy at being left out of the Prem starting 11's. He has NOT kicked up a fuss, and has NOT thrown his toys out of the pram. His main concerns are regarding his Belgian position and he knows he needs to be playing at at least Prem level regularly to get in what is a very competitive Belgian side. He almost missed out playing in the WC because of last season and hardly playing at CB. Poch had him in last week and explained it was simply a case of not wanting to play Fazio with another relatively inexperienced CB so split him and Kaboul just to get Faz settled. He will be first choice to play with Eunice as long as he is playing well. Verts understood and was very happy with this. Whether this has anything to do with his contract situation I have no idea.

Kaboul

Daws and Sandro were both very popular within the dressing room, and there were a few murmurs from other players being heard around the place bringing things down a notch. Kabs was the one who stood up in front of them all and told them all to stop whining and that they needed to pull together. Players move etc etc, Spurs carry on and get stronger. It as very well received by the players as he is obviously very well respected. Defended Poch's position, and yet also came across as one of the lads, hence the final tick for him getting the armband.

KO time yesterday I have mentioned elsewhere, Sky over ruled the Met bizarrely.

MS also mentioned elsewhere, was very close to being agreed at £18mil prior to his WC call up. He gets back and the price is £27mil. All because of how much Yanited and Pool paid for Shaw and Lalanna.

Expect us very much in for Rodriguez and another ST in January.

Remember this was all pre yesterdays match, maybe some of it has sunk in

update: Oh and expect to see more kids bumped to the first team squad before too long even the really young ones. even the u18's have been told if they are good enough they will play.

Coming out of the telegraph originally

http://www.thetottenhamway.com/2014/10/05/senior-spurs-players-unhappy-mauricio-pochettinos-tactics/

So, some of our senior players are already unhappy with the new manager lol. I wonder who?? My money would be on Ade, Vertonghen and Eriksen, as the lad doesn't seem all that enthusiastic at the moment. Especially the last two games where he has been subbed off with time still to play.

Two days prior:

Who: Trix
Where: COYS
When: 3rd October

Expect the media rumours of dressing room unrest, and horrible training methods to start surfacing. Daniel has given the thumbs up to start upsetting players and agents. Mauricio is being backed to the hilt with who he wants out, and they will be told shape up, ship out, or rot.

Two days prior:

Who: Trix
Where: COYS
When: 3rd October

Expect the media rumours of dressing room unrest, and horrible training methods to start surfacing. Daniel has given the thumbs up to start upsetting players and agents. Mauricio is being backed to the hilt with who he wants out, and they will be told shape up, ship out, or rot.

Absolutely love this. Kinda begs the question as to why it's taken this long for DL to back a manager to this extent, but I absolutely love that he is now doing it.

I also must say, there's a real stench coming from the direction of some of our players. I don't know who exactly they are, but there seems to be a lot of murmurs of unrest and whining about various things. It never felt like it used to be this way. I guess with the old British core departing at various times it's hurt the team spirit a bit. MASSIVE props to Kaboul.

will avb ever write a book about his time at spurs ? (how long can a gag order be enforced?)

i think there will be some juicy revelations considering the totally different approach we switched bale for the maginificent seven

It wasn't just on this board, the witch hunt against Sherwood was rampant all over the Spurs forums. I think a lot of people didn't like Tim even before he became manager, and they just loved the chance to rip him to shreds.

To be fair I think it was a pretty small minority overall who were so anti Sherwood (both on this board and others).... It was just that they tended to be a rather voiciferous small minority.

I think most on here appreciated the job that Sherwood did for half a season in getting us an extremely good number of points per game as well as improving the dull as dishwater spectacle that our games had become.

do you know who i think is causing probs behind the scenes???.....the Belgians. Inconsistent on the pitch, full of negativity off it. Watch this space

do you know who i think is causing probs behind the scenes???.....the Belgians. Inconsistent on the pitch, full of negativity off it. Watch this space

Hmmmm - Dembele's recent comments were quite positive I thought and Chadli has been an ever present. That only leaves Vertonghen. I wasn't really particularly happy about him not starting against Emirates Marketing Project - especially after a good performance against Arsenal and a clean sheet against Southampton.

All the other Spurs managers have records even worse than Mauricio Pochettino's:

Christian Gross Swz 43.59%
George Graham Sco 42.96%
Glenn Hoddle Eng 42.70%
David Pleat Eng 42.42%
Caretaker Managers Eng 41.67%
Jacques Santini Fra 39.39%
Juande Ramos Esp 39.05%
Ossie Ardiles Arg 38.27%

So why did you leave them off your chart? Talk about slicing the data to paint a particularly p155 poor picture of Pock

Football forums do not represent real life. Redknapp got a good reception when he returned to WHL this season, if you believed some of the people on here, most Spurs fans detest him. It's hardly like Sherwood was getting stick from our own fans at games like say Pardew is getting now for example.

Last edited:
the way forward for Poch could be with the younger players.......full of energy, willing to follow/learn, prepared to run through brick walls for the boss. Hopefully Levy is patient (fans too)

You're in danger of putting words in to peoples mouths there Dubai.

We stopped signing young players with potential and focused on the there and then for nearly four years (ie backed the manager) - great in the moment but now we don't have the next Bale/Modric coming through meaning we don't have any WC players to elevate us above our position.

I'm not, mate. Like I said, I agreed with the rest of your post, but that statement itself was jarring and (imo) deserved to be challenged.

Back