• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

I'd love to see some data to support that less chances are created with inverted wingers than conventional ones. If you could find some, you might just convince me that you are right.
The 'fair test' of this would be to take a the same players and see results playing both ways for a significant chunk of the season, ideally for a whole season each. This is difficult to do, if not impossible, then all you can do is compare what is happening in general or has happened. Redknapp essentially employed conventional wingers, albeit you might say they were in top form, and our goals, style and, more importantly results, I expect were better.
I haven't got actual stats, but it seems more logical based on what I surmise.
Another way might be to count how many goals are scored and how the chance was made, for all teams, say this season?

I was comparing the use of numbers not managers. 99% was made up, my 100 % was also made up, what's that got to do with managers?
Where did I say which system I prefer?

So because the obvious exaggeration was exaggerated the point isn't valid?

Are you not saying that you prefer a system with traditional/non-inverted wingers?

The 'fair test' of this would be to take a the same players and see results playing both ways for a significant chunk of the season, ideally for a whole season each. This is difficult to do, if not impossible, then all you can do is compare what is happening in general or has happened. Redknapp essentially employed conventional wingers, albeit you might say they were in top form, and our goals, style and, more importantly results, I expect were better.
Another way might be to count how many goals are scored and how the chance was made, for all teams, say this season?

You might say the quality of players under Redknapp was a bigger factor. You might...

Stats have been made for how often teams score from crosses, it's not very often.

I think you should disregard AVB's first season as he was able to play one of the world's top players in the form of his life. So compare AVB' second season and Tim's few months in charge, with Poch. While the points per game ratio was better, when we faced the top 4 we were smashed out of sight. That could not continue if we want to progress in the long term. Poch has arrested this and is building the team that he wants. We are harder to beat. We have lost one league game all season. We have a very good defensive record and it is being built on solid footings whereas with Tim and AVB it felt like it was built on sand. Our resilience coupled with the age of the team makes the building process feel more sustainable. That's why I have faith in Poch and I believe the points will come especially when we get the likes of Son, bentaleb and mason back from injury.

I don't see how Bale's 21 league goals for AVB that season is any different than the 21 Bale got last year.
We conceded more in the league last season than the two seasons before.

Ultimately I'm not saying we should get rid of Poch. Its just interesting how everyone is behind him. The media reckon we are in good form based on the City result. Its interesting how results are viewed differently when there is no agenda against a manager.

Shows the difference in expectation levels.

Poch's record in the last 13 games is worse than AVB's last 13 and Sherwood's last 13.

Oh come on!!!! It shows the difference in circumstances. Look, construct whatever alternate reality you wish, the fact remains that only the willfully obstreperous would deny seeing the wholesale changes Poch has initiated and executed from the back of our club to front.

I don't see how Bale's 21 league goals for AVB that season is any different than the 21 Bale got last year.

Ultimately I'm not saying we should get rid of Poch. Its just interesting how everyone is behind him. The media reckon we are in good form based on the City result. Its interesting how results are viewed differently when there is no agenda against a manager.

They are behind him mate because he has a pan and structure. AVB looked to have one too, and it was to include our younger players as well. I believe that he messed himself up in the end.

Fair play and extra Kudos to Poch for handling the media and not inviting extra pressure from that quarters imo.

That's a shame. I disagree that all you can do is observe what is happening now to what has happened in the past. Observation is just about the worst way of testing this because it is so susceptible to bias. If you took a large enough sample size you could easily compare chances created ang goals scored for teams playing with conventional and inverted wingers. If you are right the first should be creating and scoring more.

On the Redknapp point, he was not adverse to playing with inverted wingers and at our best under him Bale, VDV and Lennon frequently swapped positions. We also had plenty of games under Redknapp where we struggled to breakdown teams that came for a point and he had the massive advantage of having a couple of world class players at his disposal.

4 wins in 13 games this season.
AVB got 8 wins in his last 13 games before he was sacked.

Pochettino has really himself to blame for our current poor form. It was really stupid of Pochettino and Levy to start this season with only Kane as the recognized striker. We are now being affected badly by that decision. Kane has not looked like scoring a goal all season. Thought his goal against ManCity will get his goal scoring form back but that has not been the case. He has wasted too many easy chances that came his away. Maybe he is being affected by that second season syndrome. Not sure we can afford to wait for him to get back his goal scoring form. I think Pochettino needs to convert someone like Lamela into a striker to solve our goal scoring problems.

I don't want to take this off topic, but you do realise there are very big differences between what Kane achieved and Bale don't you? For a start Bale had already shown himself to be a special player under Redknapp whilst Kane hadn't even established himself in the starting 11 under either AVB or Tim. Regarding defensive resilience I am talking about so far this season. People are behind him because of what he is doing in terms of building a young team which is very special. He has also spanked some big teams along the way. How can you not see that?

Last edited:
Cant be beaten versus cant score to win games. It could go either ways, and i am expecting that as we throw more resources into attack, we will concede more goals.
I would be more worried if we were not creating chances. We are but just need to be more clinical in front of goal. We also need to increase our striker options.

i thought he was great in the beginning few games of the season but now that there is a slight dip in form i think that we should be looking at another manager that can do the job without having any dip especially as poch has been totally backed by levy in the market.

Pochettino has really himself to blame for our current poor form. It was really stupid of Pochettino and Levy to start this season with only Kane as the recognized striker. We are now being affected badly by that decision. Kane has not looked like scoring a goal all season. Thought his goal against ManCity will get his goal scoring form back but that has not been the case. He has wasted too many easy chances that came his away. Maybe he is being affected by that second season syndrome. Not sure we can afford to wait for him to get back his goal scoring form. I think Pochettino needs to convert someone like Lamela into a striker to solve our goal scoring problems.

You were saying?

Were 3 points off 3rd and 4th. Of the teams actually expected to maintain a top 4 challenge throughout the season we're 4th. We're undefeated in the league in our last 9.

We've done this with considerable injury problems and with our star striker off form in front of goal. And with a fairly tough fixture list. And we've definitely been unlucky in more games than we've had luck on our side imo at least.

Your definition of ""off form"" is very wide I think...

Were 3 points off 3rd and 4th. Of the teams actually expected to maintain a top 4 challenge throughout the season we're 4th. We're undefeated in the league in our last 9.

We've done this with considerable injury problems and with our star striker off form in front of goal. And with a fairly tough fixture list. And we've definitely been unlucky in more games than we've had luck on our side imo at least.

Your definition of ""off form"" is very wide I think...

Applause for your valiant effort to illuminate common sense, alas I fear these issues become less about truth and ore about intransigence...

Back