• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

The big difference for me is that Poch put a passer in central midfield to get the ball forward quicker and looks to use possession/pressing a lot more aggressively.
For me that makes them very different managers. Add to that Poch's development of youth rather than reliance on the big fancy dan signings which AVB craved. The Poch way is more sustainable than AVB's. I think he is a better fit for our club despite his detractors. I also think Poch has much more class than AVB judging by the latter's recent shenanigans in Russia.

I understand Poch's attempt to go for a win and his annoyance at the performance but he must share the blame.
Acheampong showed the value of a conventional winger getting to the bye line and cutting the ball back or just putting the ball across early.
Yet, we had Townsend on right all night and Ericksen on left, thus neutralising, possibly our most influential player and calmest finisher. Why not change, at least for 10-15 mins?
We needed direct play when we went 2-1 down, how about using Rose to be energetic down the left flank instead of throwing on another right footed and promising but inexperienced youngster.

The persistence with inverted wingers is probably going to cause him more grief than the stubbornness with 4-2-3-1.
I know we some injuries and Levy sold him down the river without buying a proper striker but he does need to be flexible. Njie ain't a striker, I don't care what anyone says.

For me that makes them very different managers. Add to that Poch's development of youth rather than reliance on the big fancy dan signings which AVB craved. The Poch way is more sustainable than AVB's. I think he is a better fit for our club despite his detractors. I also think Poch has much more class than AVB judging by the latter's recent shenanigans in Russia.

I agree

I understand Poch's attempt to go for a win and his annoyance at the performance but he must share the blame.
Acheampong showed the value of a conventional winger getting to the bye line and cutting the ball back or just putting the ball across early.
Yet, we had Townsend on right all night and Ericksen on left, thus neutralising, possibly our most influential player and calmest finisher. Why not change, at least for 10-15 mins?
We needed direct play when we went 2-1 down, how about using Rose to be energetic down the left flank instead of throwing on another right footed and promising but inexperienced youngster.

The persistence with inverted wingers is probably going to cause him more grief than the stubbornness with 4-2-3-1.
I know we some injuries and Levy sold him down the river without buying a proper striker but he does need to be flexible. Njie ain't a striker, I don't care what anyone says.

Why is this one of the answers that people always bring up after a disappointing game?
If conventional wingers is the answer, how do you account for 99% of professional football managers disagreeing with you? And again stubbornness with the formation, I did not hear many people complaining about 4-2-3-1 after the City game, so why is it a problem after Anderlecht away?

The issue tonight was that the players started well, went ahead and then sat back. When Anderlecht upped their game, we could not do the same. It is very disappointing but this is a young side and they will make mistakes. We seem to accept that in theory and then forget it in the heat of the moment.

Young side, but one of our most experienced players was pants and was constantly giving the ball away or getting mugged. And as if that wasn't enough a player that professes to love the club, be a fan in a jersey, run through walls and all that cobblers won't defend.
It wasn't the youngsters or the manager that let us down last night.
That's the worst we have defended all season, because we didn't defend in the middle. It was like watching last season again.

The big difference for me is that Poch put a passer in central midfield to get the ball forward quicker and looks to use possession/pressing a lot more aggressively.

For me, there are some similarities between Poch and AVB. Both like atheletic players who work hard and play to a system. Both like to press. But I think Poch likes a bit more flair in his play. The main difference for me, is that with AVB when we won the ball back from pressing the first thought of the players was to retain possession, whereas with Poch, the first thought is to counter.

Poch has teeth! From The Grauniad

Mauricio Pochettino tore into his Tottenham Hotspur players after watching them surrender the lead and an early position of strength to lose 2-1 against Anderlecht in the Europa League, and accused them of losing focus.

Tottenham started the match well when Christian Eriksen scored in the fourth minute and the team created several other clear chances in a 10-minute burst at the outset. But they switched off to concede a dreadful equaliser to the Anderlecht full-back Guillaume Gillet from a set piece and, thereafter, allowed the tie to slide away from them.

Stefano Okaka, the one-cap Italy striker and one-time Fulham loanee, scored the winner and it came as no surprise, particularly to Pochettino who was furious.

“Angry, frustrated, disappointed – I don’t know which is the best word to describe me,” Pochettino said. “We need to realise that we need to compete in every game, in every single minute, in each different game, in each different competition.

“It’s difficult to say, ‘OK, 1-0 up, now I don’t put the effort in, I lose my focus.’ We need to be focused for 90 minutes, 95 minutes. If not, football is like this. The dynamics change quickly.

“We started very well. After 10 minutes, we are 1-0 up and we create two, three chances more. But when you concede the possibility to the opponent to come back into the game the way that we conceded here, the dynamic changes.

“It is not normal that we concede the chance that we concede. We lost our focus on the game and, after 10 minutes, the game changes completely. We need to learn. We are very young but we need to learn a lot. When you are the best team on the pitch after 10 minutes and you believe that you can win the game, you need to win the game. Your focus needs to be 200%. But when you lose your focus, it is difficult to come back.”

Tottenham are now third in Group J and Pochettino described the return tie against Anderlecht at White Hart Lane in two weeks’ time as “must win”. He added: “We’re under pressure but I am happy about that. We need to feel the pressure because here, we didn’t feel the pressure after 10 minutes and it seemed it was an easy game. Then 2-1 and we lose.”

And the return is officially a must win!

Good to hear this. He's absolutley right. We should have had that game buried by half time.

Why is this one of the answers that people always bring up after a disappointing game?
If conventional wingers is the answer, how do you account for 99% of professional football managers disagreeing with you? And again stubbornness with the formation, I did not hear many people complaining about 4-2-3-1 after the City game, so why is it a problem after Anderlecht away?

The issue tonight was that the players started well, went ahead and then sat back. When Anderlecht upped their game, we could not do the same. It is very disappointing but this is a young side and they will make mistakes. We seem to accept that in theory and then forget it in the heat of the moment.

Nail on head.

It's just me I guess and its not about assigning blame but establishing accountability and responsibility. I hate it when nobody but youth is at fault. Why care about the result then?

I don't think it was the youth at fault, far from it. I think all the youth acquitted themselves well enough. The problems were andros and dembelle. Dembelle I think got caught out to often and maybe playing back in Belgium affected him. Andros was just bad.

Our wide players (in a system that depends on them) failed yesterday, Davies, Tripper, Townsend & Lamela. No real surprise that 3 of those +NJie aren't really from our first 11 and Trippier/Townsend/NJie have had limited playing time this season.

Poch has made the squad smaller, but we are starting to see a significant gap between first 11 in most areas other than midfield (which is running out of options due to injuries)

I would agree and Poch is right to rattle a few cages.

I think we are in the situation now that we were in near the end of AVB's first season, everything is going swimmingly, progress is obvious, the future has promise

lets hope things don't go south as quickly as they did back then
Hmmmmm - I thought towards the end of Poch's first season we were starting to look horribly like a one Bale sized man team. Devoid of creativity with Bale Worldies winning us games.

I don't think it was the youth at fault, far from it. I think all the youth acquitted themselves well enough. The problems were andros and dembelle. Dembelle I think got caught out to often and maybe playing back in Belgium affected him. Andros was just bad.
I disagree. I thought Davies and Trippier were poor, N'Jie was poor, Lamela was poor. Townsend was also poor but no worse than any of those. I didn't think Dembele was that bad.

Back