• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

He could do Dembele's role as utility midfield sub?

At nearly 30 though I think he's maybe too old for a Poch midfield.
I think that seriously underrates Milner. He would be worth a starting place in our team ahead of almost any of the players in the midfield, but the most likely role for him would be starting as our wide right or left midfielder to replace Townsend/Lamela or Chadli.

I think we need cover for Mason, more than for Bentaleb (which Stambouli is).

Milner isn't assertive or forward-looking enough for the more advanced of the two IMO.

I'd be happy to let Alli and Winks shoot it out in pre-season to be Mason's understudy, with the other going out on loan.

I don't think Stambouli is good enough for where we want to be unfortunately. I also think that you (again) underrate Milner. He can be very forward looking (as he has shown for City on a number of occasions when he has come on with them looking to turn around a losing position or a draw into a win)

Don't let the fact that City often use him as a defensive wide option when they are looking to close a game out, or the fact that Milner is a disciplined player fool you into thinking that he isn't a creative player.

I also disagree that 29 is too old for our midfield. In fact I think that the one thing our midfield severely lacks is some leadership and experience.

Don't think we'll get Milner. City would be a bit mad to get rid and he's probably on huge wages already and coming on a free he will probably be asking for substantial stuff despite his age. Struggle to see how we would get him ahead of other clubs with more money and better results (at the moment).

Would be a good signing though and I think he'd fit in really nicely.

I think we need cover for Mason, more than for Bentaleb (which Stambouli is).

Milner isn't assertive or forward-looking enough for the more advanced of the two IMO.

I'd be happy to let Alli and Winks shoot it out in pre-season to be Mason's understudy, with the other going out on loan.

Winks? I dont think so. I think the next stage of his development will be to go out on loan somewhere to get some experience. Alli doesnt seem to be in the Mason mould.

I think Poch will be looking to strengthen this position in the summer, this has been Masons first full season, same with Bentaleb, there is every chance they will suffer a dip in performance levels next season. Stambouli was the start in rebuilding this area, yes he is more of a back up anyway, imo Poch will be going all out to get someone else in, someone who is ready to slot straight in. McCarthy at Everton has been heavily linked, apparently Mitchell rates him, and of course there is a slim chance with Schneiderlin

I would be surprised if we got milner as well, however we have 2 choices in this window

Go and strengthen with stambouli type purchases. 8mil 50:50 shots
Go for Milner, Schneirderlin, Depay type purchases who are a step up but less likely to come, and rely on Pritchard Ali Yedlin to fill in the spaces left by departures if we dont get them.

Im completely on the fence, dont want somebody unproven to replace the current players, but i think we cant expect to go next year with less experience, even if the experienced players have been poor this year (generally)

I would be surprised if we got milner as well, however we have 2 choices in this window

Go and strengthen with stambouli type purchases. 8mil 50:50 shots
Go for Milner, Schneirderlin, Depay type purchases who are a step up but less likely to come, and rely on Pritchard Ali Yedlin to fill in the spaces left by departures if we dont get them.

Im completely on the fence, dont want somebody unproven to replace the current players, but i think we cant expect to go next year with less experience, even if the experienced players have been poor this year (generally)

In a way we will go into next season with more experience regardless of what we do. None of the more experienced players that are likely to be shipped out come the summer have actually made much of a positive contribution thanks to that experience (and ability) this season. The youngsters that have been playing so well this season will be a year older with a lot more experience. If someone like Pritchard, Alli or Winks replaces the currently more experienced backup players we lose no experience in our starting 11. And it's not like we have experienced players coming off the bench making much of a difference anyway.

I do think we need a range of targets. Absolutely have some top level targets like Schneiderlin and Depay, then some easier to get cheaper options if those first choice targets don't come off. Unless we think some of the youngsters are better options for us than those.

In a way we will go into next season with more experience regardless of what we do. None of the more experienced players that are likely to be shipped out come the summer have actually made much of a positive contribution thanks to that experience (and ability) this season. The youngsters that have been playing so well this season will be a year older with a lot more experience. If someone like Pritchard, Alli or Winks replaces the currently more experienced backup players we lose no experience in our starting 11. And it's not like we have experienced players coming off the bench making much of a difference anyway.

I do think we need a range of targets. Absolutely have some top level targets like Schneiderlin and Depay, then some easier to get cheaper options if those first choice targets don't come off. Unless we think some of the youngsters are better options for us than those.

I think we invest in 2-3 quality buys, i.e. not mid tier buys at mid tier prices, if you can buy a Modric/Eriksen/Berbatov/VDV quality at mid tier prices (which we have done before), then go for it.

Truly mid tier quality, e.g. Reid at West Ham (yes, not option now, just example) makes no sense for me, go with Alli/Pritchard/etc instead.

Realistically the summer will be mostly outgoing, = Holtby/Lennon/Paulinho/Soldado/Ade/Lamela/Vlad/Kaboul all likely gone with the maximum impact of 1 first team spot

I think we invest in 2-3 quality buys, i.e. not mid tier buys at mid tier prices, if you can buy a Modric/Eriksen/Berbatov/VDV quality at mid tier prices (which we have done before), then go for it.

Truly mid tier quality, e.g. Reid at West Ham (yes, not option now, just example) makes no sense for me, go with Alli/Pritchard/etc instead.

Realistically the summer will be mostly outgoing, = Holtby/Lennon/Paulinho/Soldado/Ade/Lamela/Vlad/Kaboul all likely gone with the maximum impact of 1 first team spot

Think we will / should keep Lamela unless we can get 17mil + for him (which wont happen)

This is the problem we have is identifying early the best player we can get, its the same every year. Schneiderlin, Reid type players are realistically going to have us as 2nd choice behind a CL club. Its why we are forced to do business late as either you go and get a Tier 4 player who Tier 1 and 2 clubs wont want or we hold out for Tier 3 players who may be wanted by Tiers 1 and 2. Do you go early and get less quality or hold on late on the chance of getting a better player.

Tier 1 - Barca Real
Tier 2 - Arsenal
Tier 3 - Us
Tier 4 - Mid tabled teams across europe, or younger potential

I think that seriously underrates Milner. He would be worth a starting place in our team ahead of almost any of the players in the midfield, but the most likely role for him would be starting as our wide right or left midfielder to replace Townsend/Lamela or Chadli.

I don't think Stambouli is good enough for where we want to be unfortunately. I also think that you (again) underrate Milner. He can be very forward looking (as he has shown for City on a number of occasions when he has come on with them looking to turn around a losing position or a draw into a win)

Don't let the fact that City often use him as a defensive wide option when they are looking to close a game out, or the fact that Milner is a disciplined player fool you into thinking that he isn't a creative player.

I also disagree that 29 is too old for our midfield. In fact I think that the one thing our midfield severely lacks is some leadership and experience.

I hate Milner as a player.

To me he sums up everything that is wrong with English football. The only thing he excels at is that he tries-hard. He has mediocre-to-poor technique, zero creativity and no physical attributes. He's been a 'utility' substitute for a decade because he's not been good enough to establish himself in a position. Like Scott Parker, but worse.

On the positive, this parody (https://twitter.com/boringmilner) is the funniest thing on twitter since the Dark Pav

To me he sums up everything that is wrong with English football. The only thing he excels at is that he tries-hard. He has mediocre-to-poor technique, zero creativity and no physical attributes. He's been a 'utility' substitute for a decade because he's not been good enough to establish himself in a position. Like Scott Parker, but worse.

On the positive, this parody (https://twitter.com/boringmilner) is the funniest thing on twitter since the Dark Pav

its not a parody though, isnt that James Milners own account

Agreed that this should be our goal. Just saying that we need a backup plan too.

I think you're underestimating him.

He's failed to establish himself as a definite first choice for a title challenging (and winning) team. He clearly managed to establish himself for a smaller PL team.

Most our first choice players for as long as I can remember would struggle to make themselves first choice in any position for this Emirates Marketing Project side.

We could use a Scott Parker...

I liked Parker, but im not sure he would suit our current team as he would often dwell on the ball - i think maybe Davids would be a better fit for what you want (?) hard in the tackle but also quick to pass the ball on to team mates

Hmmmm - this coming from the guy who spent the whole of pre season and the opening quarter of this season bigging up the worst senior player I have ever seen play for Spurs (Capoue)

With that sort of endorsement for Milner above from you, I am now even more convinced that he is exactly what we need!

Milner clearly has better technique than either Townsend of Lamela and he is hugely more disciplined in his positioning and adhering to his defensive responsibilities than Chadli.

As for him being a 'utility substitute for 10 years'.... I think that is probably about as true as the point you made a short while ago that hardly hardly any teams play with a big centre forward these days.

In his four full years at Emirates Marketing Project Milner has made 41, 36, 35 and 44 appearances with 31 so far this season. This for a team who have won 2 league titles, 1 FA Cup and 1 League Cup. We do not have a single midfielder who would be a regular starter in their team.
In his two years at Villa before that he made 43 and 49 appearances
In his two years at Saudi Sportswashing Machine before that he made 53 and 32 appearances.
The year before that he made 40 appearances (split between Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Villa).
The year before that he made 44 appearances for Saudi Sportswashing Machine
That's 11 years I have gone back there for you.
He also has 53 caps for England.

Manuel Pellegrini described Milner as "the most complete English player in the modern game"

But of course the true reality is that he sums up everything that is wrong with English football! o_O

As soon as i saw that you was back posting i just knew the post would be ripping in to something Gutter Boy had posted :D

Milner is top drawer and that whisk be highlighted more in a different aide where he would be more obvious as a focal point

He himself said his favored position would be behind the striker unless I remember incorrectly but I think his versatility and engine as well as experience would make him a fantastic signing for us.

A bit of an England spacegoat for some reason but when used in the right system as we've seen with city he'd be a quality addition.

Good post there Finney, quite how Gutterboy thinks Milner has no physical attributes is beyond me

Don't have hate for Milner, but also never been sold on him. And every time I see City's lineup I think "how the fudge does Milner get in this team"

I do think he has played the utility role, the workhorse in a side of more talented players (and the very best sides do need that type of player)

I just don't think we need that specifically, his experience/versatility would be useful, but he is neither the pure DM or attacking RW option I think that are obvious midfield gaps right now.

Back