• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mateo Musacchio

They're only positive in comparison to Musacchio, I haven't looked at other CBs to say whether they're positive overall. For all you and I know, those scores could put them below Paul McShane and Titus Bramble. A tackles won rate of 1.85 p/g for example doesn't say positive or negative, it doesn't say anything as we don't know know what's good, what's bad and what's average.

So, in other words, stats like this are pointless and we can do without them.

Just like this little argument between you and kd. ;)

Sorry guys, I'll be sure to get back to discussing badgers and asking whether Bassong's still suspended ... :rolleyes:

Going back to this player ... sounds like a lot of change spent on him if we actually have put in a bid. However you have to back the manager in this instance ... how many times have we gone down the route of chasing the managers choice but end up going with a cheaper imitation. Too many to list.

Going back to this player ... sounds like a lot of change spent on him if we actually have put in a bid. However you have to back the manager in this instance ... how many times have we gone down the route of chasing the managers choice but end up going with a cheaper imitation. Too many to list.

but we never know when we sign a player what number choice they are. for every bid you hear about there 10 that you don't. I doubt this guy is Poch's first choice.
on the argument of backing the manager i don't think that should be a blind rule. because the manager was a defender is doesn't mean he every he's guaranteed to get it right. sometimes in fact being a ex player could be a hinderance as they judge everything on the conditions they played in and not as football is today.
ruud gullit and glen huddle for example are known to not get the best out of their players because they didn't know how to coach players of lesser ability that what they were when they played.
not saying thats the case here but they are other angles to consider. Poch is an intelligent manager for sure I know he's not ignorant but I'm just pointing out that just because he was a defender it doesn't automatically mean every defender he signs is definitely going to be a success

Last edited:
but we never know when we sign a player what number choice they are. for every bid you hear about there 10 that you don't. I doubt this guy is Poch's first choice.
on the argument of backing the manager i don't think that should be a blind rule. because the manager was a defender is doesn't mean he every he's guaranteed to get it right. sometimes in fact being a ex player could be a hinderance as they judge everything on the conditions they played in and not as football is today. ruud gullit and glen huddle for example are known to not get the best out of their players because they didn't know how to coach players of lesser ability that what they were when they played. not saying thats the case here but its another angle to consider.

It doesn't really matter whether he is first, second or third choice - or even more than that (and, by the way, none of us - including you - has a clue as to the answer, so your "doubt" is rather meaningless). What really matters is that Poch thinks that he is good enough for Spurs and what we want to become; that he will improve us; and that he is worth the money we are proposing to spend on him.

on the argument of backing the manager i don't think that should be a blind rule. because the manager was a defender is doesn't mean he every he's guaranteed to get it right. sometimes in fact being a ex player could be a hinderance as they judge everything on the conditions they played in and not as football is today.
ruud gullit and glen huddle for example are known to not get the best out of their players because they didn't know how to coach players of lesser ability that what they were when they played.
not saying thats the case here but they are other angles to consider.

I think you answered your second point with your first point ... we dont know if he is Pochs first choice or not. However to spend the reported fee for this chap would suggest that he would be high on a list.

I certainly dont think Levy would allow any of our managers to rule the roost completely or blindly, I dont think I have seen any signs of that. I was even shocked when we signed Crouch, but hey in the cold light of day it wasnt a bad signing.

I didnt suggest in any shape or form that due to Poch being a defender that he would get it right .... other wise we would have to employ four managers for four different types of player.

I do agree with other things to consider, but I think you can bet that Levy will consider a lot of things with a finer magnifying glass since last summers activity.

Whenever a player is speculated to sign on with big money there is always a risk associated with it, im sure between Levy, Poch and Franco we would have done quite well in minimising them risks if possible.

"Musacchio concedes only one free-kick per game and has picked up two yellow cards in league play so far, proving how in control of his tackling he is."

Sounds familiar. What condition are his knees in?

Interesting article on this rumour http://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.com/2014/08/musacchio-1198m-bid-complicated-by.html?:

He is an Argentinian who was voted Club Player of the Season in 2013/14 and is valued around £15 million (€18.79m) by Yillarreal.

Mauricio Pochettino has been linked with well over a dozen Argentinians since he took over, all to no avail. He knows La Liga well having spent eight years in Spain as a player and manager at RCD Espanyol (full name Reial Club Deportiu Espanyol de Barcelona). He has a sound knowledge of the league therefore and still has his home in Barcelona where he escapes to whenever he can.

So the theory goes they are both Argentinian, he knows him so Spurs need a centre-back, let's link them, that about sums the whole story up.

On the downside he has a contract until 2018 which for me makes it questionable if we would go after him and at 1.82m he is a little short, that's under 6 foot. His tackling and intercepting are good but like Vlad Chiriches he is weak in the air and you simply can't be weak in the air in the Premier League.

He may be fine with small strikers playing along the floor but anyone who goes aerial he would have a problem with and there are plenty of them in the Premier League. However reports suggest Pochettino is a fan and he is rated highly in Spain.

Our first game is against West Ham and in the Cup they simply figured out Chiriches was weak in the air and targeted him. Two knock downs later and we were out the Cup. It's a concern.

Reports suggest we have put in a bid for £11.98 million (€15m) and it was rejected. The stories coming out of Spain are that the player wants to leave and Villerreal suggest his agent will have to drop his cut for a deal at our price, Musacchio economic rights are partly owned by his agent. Their president has insisted on full payment in the past and we usually pay in instalments with add-ons so one more hurdle in negotiations.

Musacchio is a non-home grown player and we have our full quota of them still we would have to sell before we could buy him. Scneiderlin will be late if it happens at all which will mean Sandro leaving late. A deal could still be done though is all parties can reach a compromise deal.

In Argentina there seems to be another problem surrounding him between Villarreal and River Plate over his economic rights which must surely have an affect on any future transfer.

Gabriel Casazza is a football journalist who writes for, among others, the River Plate website and he tells us the story (which I have translated online but you'll get the gist).

"Musacchio is about to be transferred to Tottenham for £15.16 million (€19m). River Plate receive 35% £5.31 million (€6.65m), however Musacchio's economic rights are at issue.
"There is an ongoing case against Villarreal by River Plate for breach of contract when he sold percentages of juveniles. Musacchio was not on the list but Villarreal had a clause in his favour to switch to two players (one was Musacchio).
"The other never made his debut at Villarreal, some were free and that caused a financial loss to the Spanish team. There is an action for which any transfer Musacchio you must first go through court to decide accordingly."

The economic rights issue would need to be sorted before any transfer as Spurs would require full economic rights. Under Premier League rules you are not allowed third party ownership so if there is a case for third party economic ownership signing him could still be problematic.
Oh dear, didn't see that before
No wonder transfers take a while sometimes

So, in other words, stats like this are pointless and we can do without them.

Just like this little argument between you and kd. ;)

Stats are not pointless, but without context they are misleading and downright dangerous.
Statistic is a tool, like a wrench. Used correctly for its specific task, it is very handy. However, if you try to use it for something it was not designed to do, like deer hunting, you might find it difficult. And you'll starve.

Stats are not pointless, but without context they are misleading and downright dangerous.
Statistic is a tool, like a wrench. Used correctly for its specific task, it is very handy. However, if you try to use it for something it was not designed to do, like deer hunting, you might find it difficult. And you'll starve.

Yep. As I said, stats like this are pointless. ;)

Why are they pointless? It was a comparison between two players, an observation, what you take away from it is up to you. But as I've said before, whenever someone posts stats in favour of the popular opinion they're usually well received, on the flip side if they oppose that same opinion then all we get is pages off "stats are pointless" and "booooo!".

Why are they pointless? It was a comparison between two players, an observation, what you take away from it is up to you. But as I've said before, whenever someone posts stats in favour of the popular opinion they're usually well received, on the flip side if they oppose that same opinion then all we get is pages off "stats are pointless" and "booooo!".

They are pointless because they lack any context.

Italian source Calcio News claim Musacchio is a step away from joining Tottenham Hotspur and is due in London in the next few hours.

In a bizarre and entirely unexpected change in policy, Tottenham Hotspur have set out this summer with the intent of addressing the problems in their squad via a series of well-planned additions.

A real left-back has arrived, with Premier League experience no less, along with an extra keeper to ensure a 43-year-old is not one injury away from being first choice.

England U21 centre-back Eric Dier looks a canny addition at £4m and he should help ease Michael Dawson’s long-delayed exit from the club through to its conclusion.

With these issues addressed, Spurs now appear to be in the hunt for bigger game, with big-money moves for Southampton’s Morgan Schneiderlin and Villarreal’s Mateo Musacchio reportedly on the cards.

The former is familiar as an excellent Premier League midfielder, but less is known about the 23-year-old Argentine, so what could Spurs expect from Musacchio if he signed?

Firstly, and perhaps most importantly to worried Lilywhites fans, he would be a partner for Jan Vertonghen rather a replacement, with Musacchio a right-sided centre-back.

The Argentine was key to Villarreal’s excellent showing in their first season back in La Liga, helping them finish six with, appropriately, the sixth best defensive record in the league.

Musacchio’s key strength is in reading the play and making interceptions – he made the most of any player in La Liga last season with 108 in 32 appearances.

This is well-suited to Mauricio Pochettino’s high line system, where defenders have to be able to step and cut off passes through to strikers running through on goal, or be left stranded halfway up the pitch.

The 23-year-old is less adept in the air, and isn’t jet-heeled, but has an all-round game to mark him out as among the best young defenders in Europe.

All of which begs the question, should Champions League clubs be eyeing up Musacchio, especially as Barcelona were reportedly interested in him before signing Jeremy Mathieu?

If Spurs put together a deal for between £16m and £21m, the price-tags being bandied around gossip columns at the moment, there could end up being a fair few clubs in the Premier League and elsewhere kicking themselves in a couple of seasons time.

Facing perhaps their toughest challenge in years to barge into the Premier League’s top four, Spurs are 3/1 to claim a Champions League spot, a price that might start to look generous if they land Musacchio and Schneiderlin.

http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/prem...acchio-europes-elite-missing-trick,59251.html

Back