• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

It Evens Itself Out Over A Season - The Ref's A ****

Who is the worst recent Premier League referee?

• Howard "Red" Webb

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Chris "What a Foy" Foy

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Mark "Emotional" Clattenburg

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Mike "Give us a Clue" Dean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uriah "Two Tickets to the UR Show" Rennie

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Mike "Beachball" Jones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A.N.Other

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters
Would never see a rugby player behaving like footballers do towards refs.

Don't like rugby at all but when it comes to physical contact they really get on with it - none of this play acting, rolling on the ground rubbish you see more and more this days.

It appears in this country you have to have some sort of campaign to have players do things that would just be good sense to the rest of us. In the game against 'pool i think this worked for us, are you really going to endear the referee by swearing at him?

Although it just should not be allowed to happen. State at the start of the season that swearing at the referee is a bookable offence, and then stand by that booking players who do it. Mic up the ref and record it, so they can go over it again if any of the players feel their cards were unwarranted.

Would love for this to be the first step towards the referee's mic being played live on tv, so you have more idea what is going on and what his decisions are for.

It appears in this country you have to have some sort of campaign to have players do things that would just be good sense to the rest of us. In the game against 'pool i think this worked for us, are you really going to endear the referee by swearing at him?

Although it just should not be allowed to happen. State at the start of the season that swearing at the referee is a bookable offence, and then stand by that booking players who do it. Mic up the ref and record it, so they can go over it again if any of the players feel their cards were unwarranted.

Would love for this to be the first step towards the referee's mic being played live on tv, so you have more idea what is going on and what his decisions are for.

This is a good question. Does swearing actually help a team?
When you see a hound of angry players descending on the ref bitching about some decision I actually think it does affect things. ManU 'work' the ref over constantly. Every time it's a different player just so they won't get booked, and lets face it until the FA and the ref's stamp down on it it won't change.

They could change the whole thing in 2-3 week if they wanted. Just bring in a rule that no one, neither players nor managers, are allowed talk to the officials unless they are directly asked to approach by the ref. Anyone who breaches this is booked and it can be done retrospectively on video evidence. I'm fairly sure that teams would stop sharpish if they enforced this strictly. In other sports they respect the ref but in football they don't. This must change.

It's a strange one, referees are much more likely to penalise visual dissent than they are verbal. Throw the ball down or make a "spectacles gesture" and you'll get booked, but effing and blinding at the referee appears much more likely to be tolerated.

It's a strange one, referees are much more likely to penalise visual dissent than they are verbal. Throw the ball down or make a "spectacles gesture" and you'll get booked, but effing and blinding at the referee appears much more likely to be tolerated.

I fricken love that picture of Kaboul.. :ross:

And yeah, i've played for many years and still do here in Norway and we always get cards for abusive language or for constantly being in the refs ear.
Haha, as kids we even got sent off for it. While I find players swearing at and abusing the ref intolerable to watch, it's just another way of trying to gain an advantage in the "modern" game of football.

I saw a clip yesterday at TV2PL, where they pointed out that the inventors of diving for a penalty was in fact Arsenal, or more specifically Robert Pires. I don't know if they can back that up, but it shows to how great lengths players and teams are willing to ruin the game to win it. And that Pires is a horrible human being. Then they showed Spurs-Saudi Sportswashing Machine from 94/95, where players who got tackled just got up and were happy just to get the freekick. The problem is that is actually gives a distinct advantage, there are not many "great" teams the last decade who aren't known for diving, cheating, surrounding and harassing the ref for decisions. Barca, RM, Arsenal, Man Utd, every Italian team, the list goes on. Add to that some skill, a strong captain and a manager not reluctant to harass the brick out of referees in the media afterwards, and you had a trophy-challenging team. The only problem for "them" is that nowadays almost everybody does it, so the effect is diminishing and watered out - apart from on Howard Webb.

There is so much more money than backbone involved in today's football, and while everybody remember the winner, few remember the way they won it. Everybody harps on about the "Invincibles", but few (apart from us of course) remember or even care about that the fact that it's also the most dirty, cheating, filthy and despicable team ever to grace English turfs.

It comes down to respect towards the ref, imho - much like in virtually every other sport.

Verbal abuse and provocation have no place in football, nor in anything which involves competition amogst semi-intelligent mammals

Respect is fine and im all for it but when you get Referees like Mr Howard Webb and Mr Chris Foy its extremely difficult to have any respect for them. When they continually cost us games and points etc imagine what a player thinks? What do we think?

So true, no consistency anywhere.

Wave an imaginary yellow card, easy booking all day. Managers get all touchy feely about this is just bad. Surround the referee to try to convince him to send someone off? Nope, that's fine.

Kick the ball away, yellow card if the ref isn't blind. Pick the ball up, jog 5-10 feet away from the situation and the throw the ball high into the air behind you. Perfectly fine. Stand in front of the ball and stop any chance of taking a quick free kick. Perfectly fine.

Absolutely no consistency when it comes to dissent towards the referee. Some players get booked for what other players can do 10 times during a different game without even a warning.

Frustrating and a sign of just how seemingly little the FA care about consistency.

I'm still not convinced about the Suarez kick. Infuriated me at the time, but I don't think the replays are clear cut. Although Phil Thompson said that he probably got the benefit of the doubt there probably means that a sending off and season long ban would be correct with how biased Thompson was.

I thought the Skrtel tackle was an easy red card all day tackle. Can only assume that Oliver either didn't see it properly or just bottled it. Those are the kinds of tackles refs have been punishing all season. Ridiculous tackles and should have been sent off. I really hate those scummy cowardly tackles and the way people make them sound manly, brave or committed just makes it worse. Absolutely nothing brave about going in like that with zero chance of getting hurt yourself, but a very good chance of hurting the opponent.

Sorry Richie, that was clearly intentional. The ball was still above their heads when he kicked him and Parker is in the way, its never going to drop down onto his foot. I don't understand why he's given a yellow card. Surely if he's seen it, it has to be a red?

I've been impressed by Oliver before. Some strange decisions today but overall, I think he's a very good ref. Hope we get him for more games in the future.

come on... on what evidence can you assume that kick is "clearly intentional." suarez is a clam, but he's also an extremely competitive striker, fired up to score on his return to the side. he nudges parker as parker jumps for the ball and is anticipating that nudge causing parker to miss his header and for the ball to fall to him. its poorly timed, dangerous play, but its not by any means intentional violence. suarez has a history of petulance and cynicism, but not violence. he'd much rather score a goal there than commit a foul//kick parker.

that Suarez one is pretty bad, had Parker not been there would Suarez have timed his volley the same? I don't think there's 9 year olds who would time a volley that badly.

I still cannot believe Caroll left the stadium without at least a yellow to his name, what a horrible twunt

come on... on what evidence can you assume that kick is "clearly intentional." suarez is a clam, but he's also an extremely competitive striker, fired up to score on his return to the side. he nudges parker as parker jumps for the ball and is anticipating that nudge causing parker to miss his header and for the ball to fall to him. its poorly timed, dangerous play, but its not by any means intentional violence. suarez has a history of petulance and cynicism, but not violence. he'd much rather score a goal there than commit a foul//kick parker.

he pushes parker - looks up at the ball briefly (where he would have realized he had no hope of connecting with the ball the way it was dropping/speed etc) and then looks straight at him before kicking him

Does biting someone count as violence?

-He nudges Parker.
-Looks up at the ball, where anyone who plays football at his level (or anyone that plays football) will know that ball isn't going to come down in the time he swings his leg
-Ball is above both of their heads. Parker is also directly underneath the ball. The ball isn't going to sink down through Parker's body.
-The way he kicks it there, he'd absolutely sky the ball.
-As you yourself said, he was fired up. And he's the kind of player who will do anything to get ahead. I don't think he's actually a racist but he was trying to provoke Evra. I don't think he actually enjoys human flesh, yet he's gone in for the bite before. I don't believe he thinks he can take Dawson yet he's kicked him when he was down before. There's a gif floating around of him sliding in dangerously, injuring the other player and then rolling around trying to get the other player sent off. This is the idiot who handballs it and then claims King did. Or the idiot who claimed for a handball when a keeper picked the ball up in his area.

Back