• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Did a good job and stabilised things but I think after 4 tournaments it's right to try someone else out and I think he realised that. 4 tournaments is a lot in international football. We need to start building a team and style of play for the home euros in 2028.

This is not a snarky comment but an honest question... If Southgate stayed on and continued this form of maybe semifinal, final, quarters, beating all the lower ranked sides and maybe coming up short in the big games, but continued going deep in tournaments, Would you be happy/more than happy, satisfied with that? Or would there be a point when you could imagine getting frustrated?

That's an honest question, no right or wrong answers etc. Should we just chill out and accept that going deep is actually an achievement in itself and that not embarrassing ourselves like previous managers have makes it worth it, or should we take a risk and go through another 2 or 3 coaches and more than likely suffer some up and downs again trying to find a winning formula?

For the pro Southgate fans what do you think...?
Well its no different to Spurs really is it? Had good times getting to semis and finals with Poch, but couldn't get it over the line. So go for a change of direction and 'proven winners' in Jose and Conte and we are worse off. So here we are, back where we started trying to develop a young energetic team with a front foot manager again. Sometimes you don't appreciate what you had until some time afterwards - England's tournament results have never come close to being this good, and perhaps a different manager will get the team playing more attractive football but I'd wager we don't come as close to winning anything and if we don't regardless of the football, he will only be given so long before the 'It's time he won something narrative' begins because we have our 75th edition of the 'golden generation'.

As a side note have heard people talking about Klopp/Poch/Howe but the quality of international managers is pretty low and for managers in their prime its not really of interest and I would be shocked if it was any one of them....

He has done a great job with the squad, but it is time for him to move on and bring in someone (not sure who), who can get the best out if the players coming through.

Well its no different to Spurs really is it? Had good times getting to semis and finals with Poch, but couldn't get it over the line. So go for a change of direction and 'proven winners' in Jose and Conte and we are worse off. So here we are, back where we started trying to develop a young energetic team with a front foot manager again. Sometimes you don't appreciate what you had until some time afterwards - England's tournament results have never come close to being this good, and perhaps a different manager will get the team playing more attractive football but I'd wager we don't come as close to winning anything and if we don't regardless of the football, he will only be given so long before the 'It's time he won something narrative' begins because we have our 75th edition of the 'golden generation'.

As a side note have heard people talking about Klopp/Poch/Howe but the quality of international managers is pretty low and for managers in their prime its not really of interest and I would be shocked if it was any one of them....

My feelings mirror what I felt at the time when Jose and Conte got fired, I just want to enjoy the games again. Football is about enjoyment and whilst Southgate achieved better results than any England manager since 1966, the football was pretty dire to watch. It would be a lot different had we won the euros, I think almost everyone would want him to stay. He’s done a good job but I don’t think he’s done anything extraordinary or that other managers could have done, I’m not saying anyone could have done it, but there are better managers out there IMO. We don’t have any divine right to win anything but with the players we have, we’re in with a shout of winning things and we would absolutely be one of the favourites for the next World Cup along with Spain, Germany, Argentina etc. anything can happen in knockout football, I accept we could bring in a new manager and go out in the group stages, my only mandate is I want to enjoy the football.

I've always been very competitive in any game I play irrespective of my skill and chance of winning, but losing isn't the end of the world to me. I really don't get why people get so worked up about not winning a game or competion in which they are not playing a part in, I think a spectator should enjoy what they see and accept the result whatever, I do the lottery every week if I don't win it will not ruin my life or make it pointless neither will the result of any sporting contest, it just a game. Be dissapointed with loss and move on have a far happier life

My feelings mirror what I felt at the time when Jose and Conte got fired, I just want to enjoy the games again. Football is about enjoyment and whilst Southgate achieved better results than any England manager since 1966, the football was pretty dire to watch. It would be a lot different had we won the euros, I think almost everyone would want him to stay. He’s done a good job but I don’t think he’s done anything extraordinary or that other managers could have done, I’m not saying anyone could have done it, but there are better managers out there IMO. We don’t have any divine right to win anything but with the players we have, we’re in with a shout of winning things and we would absolutely be one of the favourites for the next World Cup along with Spain, Germany, Argentina etc. anything can happen in knockout football, I accept we could bring in a new manager and go out in the group stages, my only mandate is I want to enjoy the football.

Exactly where I am. Weirdly or not, as I got older I take things alot more on face value than this feeling that I have to 100% be behind something out of sentimentality or just because, England falls into that for me, I like to enjoy what I get behind or spend time on and if I don't I block it out, with England I stopped enjoying it a whilst back because I don't find it that exciting, the footballs none too exciting and 9/10 especially out side tournaments I struggle to watch and often turn it off, in fact I turned a few off this Euros. For me thats not entitlement because I don't expect it for me, its not played for me, but its just an example of where I am with it as a spectacle and thats fine, loads of other stuff to get my teeth into, probably why I am overly optimistic with Ange because I at least enjoy the journey.

Whilst I agree there is better managers out there, those that actually want to be in international football? The quality is low, there is no great desire for the very good/great club managers to manage internationally until the twilight years of their career in general. Keep hearing the 'this is nothing no other manager should have done' because of the players at his disposal, so why haven't they? Football management is about a lot more than just playing the game on paper, especially at international level for a team like England where there are egos everywhere. Eriksen and Capello had a better squad of players than we do now, why couldn't they manage a semi final in a tournament between them? It's just the same shhhhh different day when it comes to England fans talking about an England manager and how all of us know what we should be doing that apparently every England manager doesn't.

Our fans as a general rule over rate our squad, it is decent with a sprinkling of very good but nothing particularly special that has other big nations fearing us. Bellingham we talk up so much when he still has much developing to do - right now he looks like a more marketable version of prime Dele, he comes up with some special moments but isn't 'world class' which I've seen many label him as. If we ever get to a semi final that is a job well done, but to do it so consistently in knock out football is extremely good going - of course, winning one is the ultimate hurdle but we have been consistently knocking at the door which we haven't before, and is no easy task no matter who you are.

Agree, would be great to watch England playing with a real verve but like I said this parallels Spurs and what was being said when Ange took over how we just want to enjoy watching our club play and for a couple of years people will continue to go along with that. But there will be a point when the majority will no longer just be accepting of decent football, and will start demanding trophies again....

They just said on the radio that they believe Eddie Howe would be open to an offer should it come his way

Poch would be bar far the best candidate. But I'd be pretty happy with Howe too. He's a decent progressive coach with a bit of bite about him.

The rest (Dyce, Lampard, Gerrard) are too horrendous to think about.

Whilst I agree there is better managers out there, those that actually want to be in international football? The quality is low, there is no great desire for the very good/great club managers to manage internationally until the twilight years of their career in general. Keep hearing the 'this is nothing no other manager should have done' because of the players at his disposal, so why haven't they? Football management is about a lot more than just playing the game on paper, especially at international level for a team like England where there are egos everywhere. Eriksen and Capello had a better squad of players than we do now, why couldn't they manage a semi final in a tournament between them? It's just the same shhhhh different day when it comes to England fans talking about an England manager and how all of us know what we should be doing that apparently every England manager doesn't.

Our fans as a general rule over rate our squad, it is decent with a sprinkling of very good but nothing particularly special that has other big nations fearing us. Bellingham we talk up so much when he still has much developing to do - right now he looks like a more marketable version of prime Dele, he comes up with some special moments but isn't 'world class' which I've seen many label him as. If we ever get to a semi final that is a job well done, but to do it so consistently in knock out football is extremely good going - of course, winning one is the ultimate hurdle but we have been consistently knocking at the door which we haven't before, and is no easy task no matter who you are.

Agree, would be great to watch England playing with a real verve but like I said this parallels Spurs and what was being said when Ange took over how we just want to enjoy watching our club play and for a couple of years people will continue to go along with that. But there will be a point when the majority will no longer just be accepting of decent football, and will start demanding trophies again....

I agree with alot of this BUT the overhyping of players does not explain away the fact we didn't play any of them in their desired or more effective role in the tournament, heck we were experimenting with TAA in midfield into the second game. I am ok with a better Dele Alli (an analogy I agree with BTW) but then you have to play a system and style that benefits both him and for that matter Kane. As I said earlier Foden is another that suffered from the same fate, you want him attacking the box and causing chaos not picking the ball up 40 yards from his own goal all game, hence I have major sympathy for him (not least playing him on the left to shoehorn others.

Alas its done anyway, Southgate had his go, he did well and we now have to move on seemingly

You don’t necessarily have to go for a big name. You mentioned Ange, I don’t think his name would have been on the top of many Spurs fans’ next manager list before we hired him other than Tommysvr. Just someone who has a progressive style of play and believes in a different concept of football to safety first managers like Southgate or Jose. I’m not sure I agree that Sven and Capello had a better group of players. We still have flaws now just as we did back then but I feel a key difference is we have more players that play abroad in different leagues and have had great success. I think the players we have now are technically better than we have had in the past. One other factor to mention, Southgate has benefited from fortunate draws in competitions, Euro 2020 being at home in every single game bar the quarter final whilst every other team had to travel around Europe for different games, last minute wonder goals when he was tactically outthought.

I definitely agree we overrate our players. I don’t think we should have been outright favourites for this tournament. However, we were definitely in the top 5 IMO. Think you’re being harsh on Bellingham, he wouldn’t have got a move to Real Madrid and made such an immediate impact if he wasn’t a special player. Yes he’s not the finished article but he seems to enjoy the big moments more so than Harry Kane for example who shrinks from them.

Regarding trophies, we’re not in any position to be demanding trophies. Your point would be stronger had Southgate won something and people still not being happy, but when you play negative football and don’t win then it’s not going to win you many fans. I’d bet most England fans would rather win play crap football than lose playing pretty football but I’d prefer taking a chance and potentially reaching a semi or a final and being good to watch rather than reaching a final and being boring to watch.

I agree with alot of this BUT the overhyping of players does not explain away the fact we didn't play any of them in their desired or more effective role in the tournament, heck we were experimenting with TAA in midfield into the second game. I am ok with a better Dele Alli (an analogy I agree with BTW) but then you have to play a system and style that benefits both him and for that matter Kane. As I said earlier Foden is another that suffered from the same fate, you want him attacking the box and causing chaos not picking the ball up 40 yards from his own goal all game, hence I have major sympathy for him (not least playing him on the left to shoehorn others.

Alas its done anyway, Southgate had his go, he did well and we now have to move on seemingly

Yep, playing our best players out of position is another pet peeve of mine. Playing an overly defensive side in the Euro 2020 final. Being too loyal to players like Harry Maguire who no doubt would have started every game in this tournament if he wasn’t injured.

Oh I agree, there are selections I would have done differently but at the same time I'm also aware that there is a lot more to it when you're actually in the hotseat that you have to consider way beyond what we would comprehend or see. Yeah, hopefully the FA comes up with a decent appointment to improve on Southgate's good work....

Back