• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Improvements necessary for next season

Pirate55

The Last Man Standing 17/18
While I think all of us are delighted with third place and a guaranteed place in next seasons Champions League, there is undoubtedly still significant room for improvement if we are to continue our upward trend. Here are some areas I believe we need to address (in no particular order):

1. Last 10 minutes of games. If only we had had a better end to games we would now be Champions. Indeed, if games had ended after 80 minutes, I calculate we would now be Champions. Points we lost in the last 10 minutes include Leicester (h) -1, Leicester (a) -2, Arsenal (h) -2, Arsenal (a) -2, WBA (h) -2, Chelsea (a) -2, Stoke (h) -2. Those games alone cost us 13 points. Only (iirc) Watford (a) and Emirates Marketing Project (a) did we turn draws into wins in that period (so +4) Overall -9 points. However it also gave Leicester an extra 3 points. So we are the "80 minute" Champions. We need to close off games better next season and also score winning goals more often in that crucial period.

2. Conversion of chances into goals. I believe we created the highest number of chances of any team in the EPL. However, we lost out to Emirates Marketing Project on the highest goals scored. The number of shots we had which were inaccurate was huge. I recall so many going well over the bar or well wide. We really need to improve our shooting accuracy next season.

3. Free Kicks Eriksen was poor with his free kicks this season. I think he only scored two all year and that was in the same game (against Swansea away). He didn't look particularly confident when taking them and I certainly had no real feeling that he was going to convert any. Most were pretty poor efforts in reality. This is a surprise from a guy who has a reputation for being one of Europe's best free kick takers. He really needs to improve on this next season

4. Corners. Our poor corners have been a bugbear of mine for some time. The number of times we hit the first man is totally unacceptable. Why we don't position someone in front of their first man so that he can flick it on if it goes short is totally beyond my comprehension as it such an easy remedy. We have strong aerial power in Toby, Jan, Harry and Erik and we really need to make more of corners next season. Similarly, we need to concentrate more on defensive corners as we conceded some key goals from these this season (Chelsea first goal), WBA (equaliser) and Leicester (winner) immediately spring to mind. These need to be cut out next season.

5.Substitutions. I think Poch's substitutions have been poor this year. His reading of the game in play doesnt seem terribly cute to me and he often makes the wrong subs at the wrong time. I know this is a subjective view and everyone can have different opinions on this, but generally Poch leaves his first sub until after 60 minutes no matter how the game is going and often gives other subs far too little time to have any meaningful impact. Admittedly options from the bench have been a limiting factor (and one that might have been addressed in January) but I also think he needs to try and improve his reading of a game while it is going on.

6. Players Attitudes. Can players please do less of "talking the talk" and more of "walking the walk". Posting pictures of lions and (Verts and others) saying how much the players know how important derbies are to fans and how important it is to win derbies for bragging rights. Unfortunately, they let us down badly in key games, notably Arsenal (home and away), Chelsea (away) West Ham (away) - to say nothing of that last game debacle against Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Shameful and they turned pride into shame far too easily - this must improve next season.

7. Supporters. While our away support has been magnificent (as usual) or home support has left a lot to be desired on occasions. Lets have some new and better songs and chants next season and leave out the gratuitous goading of other fans (at least until after we have won the game!). It is unnecessary and unneeded and often gets opponents to raise their games. We could take a leaf out of Leicester's home support. Lets all try and improve on that next season and get behind the team at all times.

8. Transfers. As well as we have done this season, we need some quality players in key areas to ensure that there is both adequate competition for places and there is no drop off in quality when we need to bring in squad players. Some must go to make room, but in my opinion, we need another quality CF, AM, and DM at the very least if we are to make a fist of competing on all fronts again next season with all the challenges of the CL not allowing any room for experiments.

9. Results against our key rivals. Our results against those around us this season has not been good enough. Leicester (d and l), Arsenal (d and d), Emirates Marketing Project (w and w), Chelsea (d and d), Man Utd (l and w). Only Emirates Marketing Project where we were exceptional, did the results properly reflect the way the games went. We really need to improve on this next season. Thank GHod, Saudi Sportswashing Machine are no longer a problem!!!!

10. Winning mentality. Last, but certainly not least, is the need for us to develop a winning mentality. Going back to point 1, we need to play right up to the final whistle and make sure next season we turn draws into wins in the final 10 minutes next season. I don't know if this is a fitness or mentality thing, but it certainly needs to be addressed if we are to be successful. My one concern on this issue is whether Poch is inspiring or experienced enough. He hasn't won anything as a manager and it is not yet proven whether he has that final missing ingredient? Is he a winning manager? As Napoleon said, give me lucky generals every time. We seem to have continued to be sexy under Poch even though so many other aspects of our game have improved. Every time we could have gone top (even for a few hours) we blew it. Every time we could have put pressure on Leicester, we blew it. We needed a win at Chelsea and even at 2 goals up, we blew it. We only needed a draw to finish second and above Arsenal against an already relegated Saudi Sportswashing Machine, who only had ten men for most to the second half, and we blew it. Next season we really need not to blow it!!!!

COYS.

Re 'talking the talk and walking the walk,' Not sure it's fair to blame the players here. So often it's down to the interviewer craftily putting words into their mouths. Questions are phrased in such a way the player has little option but agree, then it's reported as an unprompted comment.

As to Harry's lions tweet, that came back to bite him big time, doubt he'll be doing anything like that again in a hurry.

Re 'talking the talk and walking the walk,' Not sure it's fair to blame the players here. So often it's down to the interviewer craftily putting words into their mouths. Questions are phrased in such a way the player has little option but agree, then it's reported as an unprompted comment.

As to Harry's lions tweet, that came back to bite him big time, doubt he'll be doing anything like that again in a hurry.

I'm sure most of what they say/tweet is club-scripted anyway.
And when they go solo (as presumably the lion-tweet was) - well, better off just talking the scripted-talk.

Unfortunately, I noticed too many players coming on before big games and saying things like "we know how important it is to the fans" only to let us down badly. Verts was the most recent one to do this before the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game, saying how the players knew how much the fans wanted to finish above Arsenal...and then they put in a really abject performance. Personally, I would rather they just deliver rather than give us false optimism they really appreciate how important it is to us.

Yes I too wish they wouldn't do that, it's guaranteed to turn out the opposite of what they say. But when confronted with interviewers deliberately setting them up, how else are they supposed to react?

If you remember Poch got into all sorts of trouble for what he said about finishing / not finishing above the Arse. Whatever they say, they cannot win.

With regard to Corner and Free Kicks

We scored from set pieces more times than any other team in the League

WrotCZx.png

And its pretty comparable with the other big leagues.

eLfLYBS.png

4NYd1IJ.png

79Qq1CZ.png

Teams just dont score as often from set pieces as you think. You just see other teams scoring selectively from them on motd and see us not scoring from them most of the time and think we have a problem.

I agree with the assessment of our home support. Although it's hard to measure the impact that supporters can have on their teams on match day, I think it's safe to say that a lack of support doesn't create the right atmosphere for our players. This is especially true when we face bottom-table teams at WHL. Granted, I've only been able to watch games on TV so I'm just hearing what the mics placed around the stadium pick up, but in some of the matches, the support is simply too quiet. The expectation that the team delivers first with the fans following is incorrect IMO. I think our support needs to get behind the team as soon as the first whistle goes off, and maintain it to create a positive atmosphere for our players, maybe create more sense of urgency. We have a tendency to become complacent against some teams and that can possibly trickle down from the fans to the players.

If by half-time the performance is brick like in the Sherwood days, then by all means the fans can let the players/staff know what they think.

Teams just dont score as often from set pieces as you think. You just see other teams scoring selectively from them on motd and see us not scoring from them most of the time and think we have a problem.
Thanks Modders. We're top of the league, and all whilst hitting the first man with 75% of our corners and freekicks. Imagine how many goals we'd get if we kicked the ball 6 inches higher.

1) Talk is cheap.

2) Don't demean past Spurs sides by claiming to be mentally stronger or better than them, when you're not.

3) Translate your undoubtedly brilliant skills into really finishing teams off when they're on the ropes.

4) Stop being mentally weak bottlers by demanding the best from each other, and savagely rounding on anyone who shows a lack of effort. Mistakes - acceptable, everyone's human. Consistent mistakes - well, sometimes it can't be avoided, work-arounds have to be found. Lack of effort and commitment - no mercy, no leniency, ostracise anyone of that sort for even the smallest slip. Poch can yell until his nose goes red, it won't make an iota of difference if the players are more interested in being 'nice to each other' (as Sherwood put it) than finishing above Arsenal or *not* bottling it - it has to come from within the dressing room.

5) For GHod's sake, talk is f*cking cheap. 'Oh, we're mentally a different side now', 'we're lions in the hunt', blah, blah, blah, blew up in everyone's faces when it turned out you were nothing of the sort. You are talented enough to outplay any side in the league and in Europe - you work hard enough to able to outrun any team when you're in the mood. These are your strengths.

Mental toughness, however, is definitely not one of them, and never has been. Until you acquire that strength, stop tweeting/shouting about it.

WrotCZx.png

eLfLYBS.png

4NYd1IJ.png

79Qq1CZ.png

Agreed that those are interesting stats. However, I would like to be reminded of the supposed 17 goals we scored from set pieces this season in the league and indeed who scored them.

from what I remember:
Stoke (h) -Dier (corner)
City (h) - Alderweireld (FK)
Swansea (a) - Eriksen 2x (FK)
WHU (h) - Alderweireld (corner)
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (h) - Dier (corner)
Swansea (h) - Rose (corner), Chadli (corner)
Arse (h) - Alderweireld (corner)
Man Utd - Alderweireld (FK)
WBA (h) - Dawson OG (FK)

and I guess, that Kane v City and Dembele v Sunderland were counted too.

That's still only 11 plus 2 and some of those are dodgy counts - eg own goals are counted separately and Rose - really?

WrotCZx.png

eLfLYBS.png

4NYd1IJ.png

79Qq1CZ.png

Great table.
Interesting to note we only scored 2 on counter attack. Top of the list in England were Leicester(which makes sense) & Emirates Marketing Project with 5 goals.
Although we dominate possession as a rule I would still expect us to score more counter-attack goals? Dortmund play in a similar style and managed 10. Perhaps its the individual leagues/styles but I think that's a really low figure and one that could be improved on.
Look at Saudi Sportswashing Machine with 4 - I've no doubt we contributed at least 50% of that figure last Sunday!

wow, we come 3rd and people have a list as long as my fudging arm ....

simple

- continue to improve individually and as a team (even half the improvement between Poch season 1 & 2 would be significant)
- improve the bench/plan B options
- Better focus on cups

wow, we come 3rd and people have a list as long as my fudgeing arm ....

simple

- continue to improve individually and as a team (even half the improvement between Poch season 1 & 2 would be significant)
- improve the bench/plan B options
- Better focus on cups

I agree with all that and especially the bit in bold.

I posted this in another thread, but to get to the next level as a team, we have to win more home games. This is the bedrock of a successful team, be it the league or Europe.

I'm not sure why we are better away from home than at home. I think it's partly tactical and partly the nervousness of our home support.

I posted this in another thread, but to get to the next level as a team, we have to win more home games. This is the bedrock of a successful team, be it the league or Europe.

I'm not sure why we are better away from home than at home. I think it's partly tactical and partly the nervousness of our home support.
Can't we just all blame Ryan Mason?

Back