• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Huddlestone

I seriously doubt he's forgotten how to kick a football.

He knows how to kick a football, his technique is still there.

There was a moment at the second half in the second half where be played a curling pass out to Naughton with the outside of his right foot that sums him up. Naughton was completely behind the play, there were other passes on but Hudd decided to play the completely wrong ball, a beautiful pass but the wrong one.

Aside from the fitness/slowness issues he just doesn't have the brains /vision /football intelligence to play the right pass or control the play in midfield. Similarly his defensive position has always been poor.

He's 26 now and if he's hasn't learned by now he never will. Personally I think he reckons his technical ability is all he needs and that he isn't exactly the type to go try improve himself.

Aside from the fitness/slowness issues he just doesn't have the brains /vision /football intelligence to play the right pass or control the play in midfield. Similarly his defensive position has always been poor.

It was his brains/vision/intelligence that switched the play and lead to the equaliser against Man Utd - something that had been sorely lacking until his introduction.

It was his brains/vision/intelligence that switched the play and lead to the equaliser against Man Utd - something that had been sorely lacking until his introduction.

It was a cross towards the back post into a crowded penalty area? It was speculative, he didn't exactly pick anyone out.

Scara was quite obviously talking about the pass leading up to the cross, not the cross itself.

A cross isn't really "switching play".

Rasping shots.......when on target.

He has an appalling shot, unless in your definition of a good shot, it does not have to be on target or ever beat the goalie . 7 PL goals in 7 years says it all. There is the Spure hype about Hudd and then there are the facts.

With shooting it is harder to cloud the truth . It surely isn difficult ton argue that someone who has a terrible scoring recored over mnay years has a good shot?

With passing it is less tangeble, so easierfor the issie to have fog, but again surely if he was such a great passer, he would get more than 2 assists a season? BAE is a better passer, his pass against Leeds was probably more effective and better than any from Hudd over his 7 seasons at the club.

Hudd has a good square pass to an unmarked player. he is less good at the more difficult forward pass, especially if it is required to have the perfect weight on it as Bae had to on Sunday.

I don't know how you can use the "assist" stat as a term of passing ability.

Do you consider Luka Modric a good passer of the ball? he got 21 assists in 4 years at the club. Averaging 5 assists a season which is just poor. It's why I don't care for stats. Huddlestone, just like Modric helped get moves started, whether that was passing to a winger quickly for them to whip it in and for us to score or whatever.

He has an appalling shot, unless in your definition of a good shot, it does not have to be on target or ever beat the goalie . 7 PL goals in 7 years says it all. There is the Spure hype about Hudd and then there are the facts.

With shooting it is harder to cloud the truth . It surely isn difficult ton argue that someone who has a terrible scoring recored over mnay years has a good shot?

With passing it is less tangeble, so easierfor the issie to have fog, but again surely if he was such a great passer, he would get more than 2 assists a season? BAE is a better passer, his pass against Leeds was probably more effective and better than any from Hudd over his 7 seasons at the club.

Hudd has a good square pass to an unmarked player. he is less good at the more difficult forward pass, especially if it is required to have the perfect weight on it as Bae had to on Sunday.

First 2 paras spot on, second 2 a bit silly IMO. Passing and assists have very little interrelation, Huddlestone is an excellent long-range passer, but his agility affects his ability to get off passes under pressure (especially short ones). Deep CM is not a position where many assists will come from, more where the pass preceding the assist will be made. For example Modric was a genius and a brilliant passer, yet he got barely any assists/goals. If only the second and third assists (ie. the two passes before the assist) were recorded, that would be very interesting.

Do you consider Luka Modric a good passer of the ball? he got 21 assists in 4 years at the club. Averaging 5 assists a season which is just poor. It's why I don't care for stats. Huddlestone, just like Modric helped get moves started, whether that was passing to a winger quickly for them to whip it in and for us to score or whatever.

Got there ahead of me! Spot on.

Huddlestone's passing ability isn't on the same planet as Modric I hope that is not the argument. Honestly, Huddlestone is probably the most overrated player to wear a Spurs shirt in my lifetime. For as much brick that Jenas gets he has had more impact games than Huddlestone

I don't know how you can ignore the assist when assessing a midfielders passing ability. If he was the wonderful passer some think, do you not think, he would try and gets assist or set up chances?

Do you not think that over 7 seasons, his " wonderful ability to pass " would not have led to chances set up and goals scored. BAE is bloody LB yet he has produced some great passes. No one has gone round saying to Hudd , " we only want you to pass square to unmarked players on the wings " whatever happens don't use your amazing passing to set up chances ".

Yes he has been a deep lying midfielder, but he still should have had a lot more goals and assists, not saying 20 assist and 20 goals a season, but more than 1 goals and 2 assists.

The passing he does, the square one to unmarked players, is easier and has less degree of difficulty.

Sorry , but it is just to easy to say stats don't count, when they go against youe argument. It can be said they don't tell the whole picture, but they are not irrelevant . Tangible evidence is always worth more than hearsay

Huddlestone's passing ability isn't on the same planet as Modric I hope that is not the argument. Honestly, Huddlestone is probably the most overrated player to wear a Spurs shirt in my lifetime. For as much brick that Jenas gets he has had more impact games than Huddlestone

I would argue that in terms if technique, their passing ability is actually quite similar, but that Modric just applies that ability more intelligently than Huddlestone.

Have always been a major fan of Huddlestone's, but this ankle injury does seem to have affected him in a big way.

Would like to see him loaned out rather than sold, as if he can recover with game-time and return to the form shown when we qualified for the CL, I believe he's an asset to any side.

Sadly think that last bit might be wishful thinking on my part though. And in his current state he is of little worth to us, and in fact of the two, retaining Livermore is preferable as things stand.

I would argue that in terms if technique, their passing ability is actually quite similar, but that Modric just applies that ability more intelligently than Huddlestone.

Have always been a major fan of Huddlestone's, but this ankle injury does seem to have affected him in a big way.

Would like to see him loaned out rather than sold, as if he can recover with game-time and return to the form shown when we qualified for the CL, I believe he's an asset to any side.

Sadly think that last bit might be wishful thinking on my part though. And in his current state he is of little worth to us, and in fact of the two, retaining Livermore is preferable as things stand.

Good post I actually agree with most of the points you have made. I think we should loan him out to a side where he can play regularly but for the reason to drive his transfer fee up if he can prove match fitness. I just don't think he fits into our side anymore especially with his obvious lack of mobility after his ankle injury

I too think Huddlestone's overall passing is overrated... I think he's great at long, floated diagonal balls to the wings, but I think he's no better than average at those kind of hard, incisive passes along the ground that (e.g.) Ekotto and Carrick excel at (IMO).

Plus, as alluded to, he is pretty poor at making space for himself when being pressed.

Will never tire of watching this ..

[video=youtube;YlOKoEdmIBY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlOKoEdmIBY[/video]

Good example; he dummies three men out of the game, bursts through at their back 4 and our two strikers...are in no position to receive a killer pass on goal, so Hudd passes back/square and it all fizzles out.

Then a poster claims "Thudd is good at passing sideways..."

Claims of a "tight quad" day before the transfer madness begins. I fear it is goodbye to Hudd. Hopefully a decent team picks him up. I actually think he would do well in the Bundesliga if given a chance.

Back