• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Huddlestone

I'm all for giving Hudd a chance but Basels pace terrifies me, it's not the right opposition for me

Its not like we werent overrun by them in the first leg - without Hudd too.

Personally I think they will sit back and defend it out.

What we have to think about is even if they score - nothing changes. So we may as well go all out

Probably his last game for us. i really don't see avb playing him in any of the upcoming fixtures in the league (bar injury to demble/carroll) shame really.

I really want us to find some way of accommodating him in our team this season but I feel it's a little too late. Lennon and Bale are fit, we need Hudd to pick them out with his accurate long balls, switching it to the other flank etc. or just releasing the early ball for an attack. He is the only player in our midfield capable of doing this just because of his technique alone. I really hope this isn't the last we see of him and we have him just for depth even next year when we go for a 3 in midfield tactic.

Fantastic pass for the 2-2 goal. Absolute beauty. To hit that, with no angle, over their fairly deep backline, from the half way line. That's just not supposed to happen. If that happened in football manager or a video game I would be complaining about the lack of realism.

Hope we keep using him when we need to open up stubborn teams or are desperate for a goal. Regardless of if he has a future with the club or not he keeps changing games for us when he comes on and we have no one better to do what he does.

Twitter / TomHuddlestone6: Apologies for today, was a great effort by the lads especially with 10men! Still a lot to play for, great, support as always

I also hope that Hudd gets more opportunities to play as his long range passing ability gives the team another dimension and could prove to be useful in unlocking stubborn defences at home which we have struggled with at times this season.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that AVB does rate Huddlestone but doesn't know where to actually fit him in. I mean you can't put him there instead of Parker because then we miss Parkers pressing and work rate. You can't play him instead of Dembele because he is one of our most important players. The only way you can fit him in is by playing a 4-3-3 but we don't have the players to play that and when we do, you can't just drop Siggy or Dempsey because they're even playing well or scoring goals. Like I said, I think it might be too late this season for him to force a starting position but he can still come off the bench and change games.

I have a feeling that AVB does rate Huddlestone but doesn't know where to actually fit him in. I mean you can't put him there instead of Parker because then we miss Parkers pressing and work rate. You can't play him instead of Dembele because he is one of our most important players. The only way you can fit him in is by playing a 4-3-3 but we don't have the players to play that and when we do, you can't just drop Siggy or Dempsey because they're even playing well or scoring goals. Like I said, I think it might be too late this season for him to force a starting position but he can still come off the bench and change games.

Dembele's pressing is good, and he wins just as many tackles as Parker. In games where we're likely to dominate in terms of possession and territory, I'm starting to doubt that we need both Parker and Dembele.

Dembele's pressing is good, and he wins just as many tackles as Parker. In games where we're likely to dominate in terms of possession and territory, I'm starting to doubt that we need both Parker and Dembele.

Would a Hudd/Dembele partnership work though. That is what I'm saying. We can't necessarily just play them two and hope it works this late in the season when everything is to play for when it comes to fourth place. The three together may work, but then we have to drop one of Dempsey/Sigurdsson/Lennon when all are fit.

Would a Hudd/Dembele partnership work though. That is what I'm saying. We can't necessarily just play them two and hope it works this late in the season when everything is to play for when it comes to fourth place. The three together may work, but then we have to drop one of Dempsey/Sigurdsson/Lennon when all are fit.

On paper I think it would work well - think they compliment each other better than Dembele and Parker do (who I think are actually very similar, although they might not seem it).

You could say that we can't necessarily keep playing Dembele and Parker this late in the season when it seems quite clear that when we do, we lack a passer in midfield. Especially if Holtby is dropped when Bale and / or Lennon return.

Really want to see Hudd/Dembele play together, i think they could work well. Though more realistically a Parker/Hudd with Dembele infront of them would be the best of all worlds.

On paper I think it would work well - think they compliment each other better than Dembele and Parker do (who I think are actually very similar, although they might not seem it).

You could say that we can't necessarily keep playing Dembele and Parker this late in the season when it seems quite clear that when we do, we lack a passer in midfield. Especially if Holtby is dropped when Bale and / or Lennon return.

Parker, Dembele and Sandro are all quite similar box-to-box midfielders who are much more likely to make a forward run with the ball than a defence splitting pass, like Hudd can.

AVB seems to be warming to Hudd and perhaps we'll see him rotating the CM personnel as he has with the CBs this season, as Carroll and Holtby also played well last night giving him plenty of options.

I would rather have Thudd than Carroll. Thats not to say Carroll is poor but he isnt that effective compared to Thudd - yesterday was a perfect example. Thudd came on and we looked like scoring - yes they stood off him but you can say that about a lot of cases in football eg Miereles goal against us.

The guy is an option and a bloody good one.

I would rather have Thudd than Carroll. Thats not to say Carroll is poor but he isnt that effective compared to Thudd - yesterday was a perfect example. Thudd came on and we looked like scoring - yes they stood off him but you can say that about a lot of cases in football eg Miereles goal against us.

The guy is an option and a bloody good one.

For me it depends on who they're playing next to. Carroll came on for Dembele, I think that's a good idea. Hudd can be very effective, but is at this best when he's primarily behind the ball in his deeper role where he can control the game. He's not great at making runs ahead of the ball or into congested space between the opposition midfield and back four.

If Hudd plays alongside Parker then one of them will have to make those forward runs and neither of them are comfortable with that. Carroll is much more comfortable in the tight spaces around the box and as he showed again yesterday he can also make some very creative good passes.

If on the other side it's Parker who's being replaced I agree that Huddlestone should be the natural choice, then Dembele can make the attacking runs and Hudd can primarily sit in the deeper role. Carroll is capable of playing that role as well, but for now I agree that Hudd seems better at it.

Back