• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Huddlestone

I said it can be used as a good starting point - since most of time both of those players arrive from the middle of the park and strike from distance. I don't recall Lampard and Gerrard scoring many tap-ins over the last 4-5 years but a good few crackers instead.

I don't need to prove anything with those stats - Huddlestone's own numbers speak for themselves. 7-8 crackers in as many seasons. I'm sure any Gerrard or Lampard Youtube fanboy compilation would include just as many over 1 season alone. So to have in mentioned him that bracket is considerably off the mark, imv

You've still not proved a thing. I highly doubt Gerrard and Lampard scored that many crackers a season. If they scored 2 a season from range I'd be impressed. And even then, another variable is how many more games have they played, or how many more shots have they had?

Yeah, it's funny, but when I get drawn into these arguments I'm rarely frothing at the mouth and stamping my feet, I just feel there is too much hyperbole thrown about. I certainly feel it's the case with Tom. He:

- Is the greatest passer in the team
- Has the greatest technique in the team
- Lifts most of his shots
- Needs better compsure

Joey brought up a good point about second phase. A player like Zokora I expect to run onto a ball with his body open and scream one to the heavens, but I would expect a player like Tom, with his level of understanding, to shape himself better. A lot of his goals that look sensational look that way as they are rising so hard.

Now this is something I cannot understand about footballers. They train every day, yet it sometimes seems like they never even tried it before when it comes to attempting a long distance shot.

What Huddlestone does, he does brilliantly but there's simply too long a wait between his rare flashes of genius.

If he can become a more consistent goalscorer, he would be not only an automatic starter for Spurs but for England too.

In the meantime, he's a great asset to the squad and can play a key role in the Premier League when other players are rested or out injured and in our Cup Competitions.

Defoe has looked sharp this season - including his England games (in fact he was looking good already since January but overlooked for Saha in most games which was shocking)

Huddlestrone is not a good long range shooter - rather someone who can thump a cracker once/twice a season as opposed to a consistent return of let's say 6-10 goals/ season.

Name me 1 player who has scored 6-10 crackers in a season from outside the box.

You've still not proved a thing. I highly doubt Gerrard and Lampard scored that many crackers a season. If they scored 2 a season from range I'd be impressed. And even then, another variable is how many more games have they played, or how many more shots have they had?

Not sure if serious

Defoe has looked sharp this season - including his England games (in fact he was looking good already since January but overlooked for Saha in most games which was shocking)

Huddlestrone is not a good long range shooter - rather someone who can thump a cracker once/twice a season as opposed to a consistent return of let's say 6-10 goals/ season.

Who on Gods green earth scores 6-10 long range stunners a season bar maybe Ronaldo?

Crackers and from outside the box are mutually inclusive - i.e. long range shot = a shot from outside the box

Lampard and Gerrard are 2 names which spring to mind initially - the names you mentioned earlier

Pires is another name from recent past,

Ashely Young has lovely technique from the recent crop of players

Yaya Toure

Crackers and from outside the box are mutually inclusive - i.e. long range shot = a shot from outside the box

Lampard and Gerrard are 2 names which spring to mind initially - the names you mentioned earlier

Pires is another name from recent past,

Ashely Young has lovely technique from the recent crop of players

Yaya Toure

Mate none of that ever happened?

lampard and Gerrard scoring 6-10 long rangers a season? hmmm no. At best MAYBE 3 and i don't even think they did that.

Pires? long rangers? pardon? what? hello?

young again maybe 2 a season if that...and those are curlers not thunderbolts. He only scores curlers.

Yaya long rangers? what? where? who did it? when and why?

6-10 is a fairyland figure, but the more pertinent question is how many shots do players take from outside the box and what are their respective conversion rates... Which I suspect is a question that only someone truly devoid of a social life will ever be able to answer for us, so we might as well all go and have a brew.

Having a good goal scoring record doesn't mean you have a good shot - it's about getting in goal scoring positions. Positions Huddlestone doesn't find himself in very often due to the role he plays for the team.

How many other central midfielders that play as deep as Huddlestone scores lots of goals? I can't think of many other players that have scored as many long range goals either.

This is the crux of the whole argument surely? Comparing goal scoring stats and Hudd to Lampard and gerrard is just ridiculous as they don't play in the same positions, comparing AM's / 2nd strikers on occassions with a holding DM !!!

Good work UKSB and DM you've saved me a hell of a lot of time debating this point !

Mate none of that ever happened?

lampard and Gerrard scoring 6-10 long rangers a season? hmmm no. At best MAYBE 3 and i don't even think they did that.

Pires? long rangers? pardon? what? hello?

young again maybe 2 a season if that...and those are curlers not thunderbolts. He only scores curlers.

Yaya long rangers? what? where? who did it? when and why?

I already explained that any shot from outside the box is considered a long range effort.

Toure has a great shot from distance - I can recall Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Stoke as 2 outstanding strikes but there were definitely another 2-3 from last season

Young scored 2 against us alone and 2 against Arse in the 8-2 - that is 4 from what I can recall

Last edited:
I already explained that any shot from outside the box is considered a long range effort.

Toure has a great shot from distance - I can recall Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Stoke as 2 outstanding strikes but there were definitely another 2-3.\

Young scored 2 against us alone and 2 against Arse in the 8-2 - that is 4 from what I can recall

Young scored 2 long range efforts against us? really? And against Arsenal too?

I think your making stuff up now. Your argument is sounding more like your opinion than a well-reasoned debate. Like Wookie said, I don't think any of us will prove it in terms of just how good Tom's shooting is accuracy wise in comparison to other players because I would hope none of us are that sad.

Who on Gods green earth scores 6-10 long range stunners a season bar maybe Ronaldo?

I think perpective is lacking in this. on several levels actually

positioning on the pitch
starting position in the starting 11
number of attempts a season
defensive responsibilities
the actual number of times people score long range efforts

to use lampard and gerrard..both players who at the time of scoring many played behind the main strikers.......to beat a player that plays at the BASE and say that player cant shoot..? I dont undertsand how that works personally

I think also people that have actually played football at some point or coached it at some point (both of those allowances should technically cover 99% of us) should be able to see that Thudd is extremely technical on the strike. so he can shoot

finishing though is another matter (which accounts for significantly more than half of gerards and lampards goals)....a whole different skill set and we wont know until Thudd is regularly put into that situation to show he can finish

I think perpective is lacking in this. on several levels actually

positioning on the pitch
starting position in the starting 11
number of attempts a season
defensive responsibilities
the actual number of times people score long range efforts

to use lampard and gerrard..both players who at the time of scoring many played behind the main strikers.......to beat a player that plays at the BASE and say that player cant shoot..? I dont undertsand how that works personally

I think also people that have actually played football at some point or coached it at some point (both of those allowances should technically cover 99% of us) should be able to see that Thudd is extremely technical on the strike. so he can shoot

finishing though is another matter (which accounts for significantly more than half of gerards and lampards goals)....a whole different skill set and we wont know until Thudd is regularly put into that situation to show he can finish

Stop copying what i've been trying to say unsuccessfully over the last few pages.

Here some PL only stats - from the OS

These are goals only - NOT SHOTS

from range = from outside the box (at least that is how I read those stats on the graphics)

Hudd - 8 goals / 125 games (1 in 15.6 games) - 100% from outside the box = 8/8 (total goals) goals from range - 1 in 1 goals

Young - 37 goals / 204 games (1 in 5.5 games) - 32% from outside the box - 12/37 (total goals) from range - 1 in 3 goals

Scholes - 108 goals / 468 appearances (1 in 4.3 games) - 22% from range - 24/108 (total goals) from range - 1 in 4.5 goals

Gerrard - 89 goals / 401 appearances (1 in 4.5 games) - 28% goals from range - 25/89 (total goals) from range - 1 in 3.56 goals

Lampard - 152 goals / 525 appearances (1 in 3.4 games) - 21% goals from range - 32/152 (total goals) from range - 1 in 4.75 goals

Last edited:
Stop copying what i've been trying to say unsuccessfully over the last few pages.

i just thought there was stength in numbers. sometimes these things need a posse!!!

but seriously its amazing to think this is being consdiered or evaluated in such a manner

using a local spammers method of debating by exaggertaing a point then reversing back to normality.....you could say that rasiak is a much better shooter than vertonghen

Young scored 2 long range efforts against us? really? And against Arsenal too?

I think your making stuff up now. Your argument is sounding more like your opinion than a well-reasoned debate. Like Wookie said, I don't think any of us will prove it in terms of just how good Tom's shooting is accuracy wise in comparison to other players because I would hope none of us are that sad.

He scored 2 great curlers against Arse (8:2 crackdown) - check the highlights (they were almost identical)

Definitely scored a similar one against us at the Lane (3:1 defeat). I think his second one was also from distance - but not 100% sure

No one (as far as I can tell) is arguing is shot 'strength' or 'technique' - more to do with accuracy and goal conversion

Last edited:
Hudd - 8 goals / 125 games (1 in 15.6 games) - 100% from outside the box = 8/8 (total goals) goals from range - 1 in 1 goals

Young - 37 goals / 204 games (1 in 5.5 games) - 32% from outside the box - 12/37 (total goals) from range - 1 in 3 goals

Scholes - 108 goals / 468 appearances (1 in 4.3 games) - 22% from range - 24/108 (total goals) from range - 1 in 4.5 goals

Gerrard - 89 goals / 401 appearances (1 in 4.5 games) - 28% goals from range - 25/89 (total goals) from range - 1 in 3.56 goals

Lampard - 152 goals / 525 appearances (1 in 3.4 games) - 21% goals from range - 32/152 (total goals) from range - 1 in 4.75 goals

interesting figures...and yet so much lateral perspecive missing in these

young..an attacker , support striker, winger..takes set pieces
scholes (in early career) and attacking midfield played, played behind the striker and took setpieces (not a lot though)
gerrard:- see young
Lampard:- see young and gerrard
Tom Huddlestone :- started out as a CENTRE BACK and moved into a DEFESIVE MIDFIELD POSITION and A HOLDER

then divide those long distance scoring ratio's by the number of szeasons each plaer has played...how on earth can they be hitting 6 to 10 long range efforts a SEASON ???!!!

Back