• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Huddlestone

He has about 7 PL goals EVER, he has not been out for 2 years. The you tube is the one that goes in every 5 years. As someone posted BAE has scored from longe range, so has Walker, Danny Riose has a better shots per goals record.

I really wish his shot was as good as you say, we could do with it, but don't hold your breath. If he starts scoring , then I will say fair enough you were right - if however he continues to not score,I think some fans will continue to say, he has a great shot.

Having a good goal scoring record doesn't mean you have a good shot - it's about getting in goal scoring positions. Positions Huddlestone doesn't find himself in very often due to the role he plays for the team.

How many other central midfielders that play as deep as Huddlestone scores lots of goals? I can't think of many other players that have scored as many long range goals either.

Well Benny can strike a ball really well.

Huddlestone has struck a fair few beauties. Just from the video posted above:

Emirates Marketing Project away
Fulham away
Dinamo Zagreb home
Sunderland home
Bolton home
Arsenal home

There have been a few other goals. He is by no means a prolific scorer of these long rangers, but you have to remember a few other long range digs which have tested the keeper and resulted in goals ie. in the 4-4 v the scum when Bent score. I'm just thinking off the top of my head, but I think it's scandalous to suggest Huddlestone has a poor shot. His technique is incredible when he catches a hold of one.

I wouldn't agree with that either. Any player shooting from the distances Ekotto and Huddlestone shoot from are going to hit a few wide.

This is exactly what i'm getting at. These guys are making out as thought every long ranger that Gerrard, Lampard (the deflection king), Alonso, Scholes etc take goes in.

Granted you have the likes of Juninho (lyon) and Cristiano who strike the ball incredibly to score a fair few, but by in large a lot of these guys will miss way more than they score from these shots.

Colin, a more accurate way of reading it would be rather than looking at the number of goals he's scored over seasons, to look at how many he has scored out of the long range pot shots in comparison to the other top players who are renowned for this. A stat that will be impossible to get.

Ekotto does have a good shot on him.

Ah, but here's the thing and exactly the reason I put it in there... We have evidence of Walker, Verts, Bassong, Gallas and a host of other players being able to strike a ball from distance to great effect (not necessarily in a Spurs shirt). What is it then that makes people think that Huddlestone is such wonderful striker of the ball?

I don't disagree that a good number of our players can hit a beautiful strike on their day, but people on this board seem to think that Huddlestone is Glen Hoddle's afro'd love child and it simply isn't true.

I like him as a player and his long range passing is second to none, but the fact is that it doesn't matter how well he connects with a ball and it doesn't matter if it can break the net or not if he is rarely able to direct it at the goal. I would suggest that Huddlestone averages at least two chances per 90 minutes and yet he scores once every 15 games on average... Just don't get the adulation for his shooting, personally I think he has dined out on his goal against Zagreb for a long time.

This is exactly what i'm getting at. These guys are making out as thought every long ranger that Gerrard, Lampard (the deflection king), Alonso, Scholes etc take goes in.

I'm sure if we can somehow compare shots per goal stats on Gerrard, Lampard. and Hudd the difference would be staggering. One wonder strike per season (2 in BAE's case) is not enough to proclaim someone a great shooter, imv.

I don't have those stats - if someone has access would be great. But Gerrard and Lampard's goal returns per season is a good starting point

Ah, but here's the thing and exactly the reason I put it in there... We have evidence of Walker, Verts, Bassong, Gallas and a host of other players being able to strike a ball from distance to great effect (not necessarily in a Spurs shirt). What is it then that makes people think that Huddlestone is such wonderful striker of the ball?

I don't disagree that a good number of our players can hit a beautiful strike on their day, but people on this board seem to think that Huddlestone is Glen Hoddle's afro'd love child and it simply isn't true.

I like him as a player and his long range passing is second to none, but the fact is that it doesn't matter how well he connects with a ball and it doesn't matter if it can break the net or not if he is rarely able to direct it at the goal. I would suggest that Huddlestone averages at least two chances per 90 minutes and yet he scores once every 15 games on average... Just don't get the adulation for his shooting, personally I think he has dined out on his goal against Zagreb for a long time.

You're right, almost any player can hit a one wonder strike (see Edman).

But Huddlestone has hit a lot of 20+ yard strikes. More than the vast majority of players.

VDV would have lots of shots from outside the area, but how many did he actually score? Does this mean he has a bad shot? In fact VDV scores from just 10% of his shots, does that mean he was poor at shooting? When he played for us Darren Bent scored with about 20% of his shots. I'm I supposed to conclude from that that Darren Bent has a better shot the VDV? gonads he does.

Shooting from distance is a hard skill. Shooting from distance when it comes from second phase play is even harder, as you have little time to control the ball and have to get the shot off quickly.

This place is really weird at times. i mean i've made my opinion of Huddlestone known quite clearly on here for a while now but to say he's not that good at shooting is simply ridiculous. The guy has the best shooting technique i've seen for a long time and his accuracy level in terms of shooting on target is exellent.

I don't have those stats - if someone has access would be great. But Gerrard and Lampard's goal returns per season is a good starting point

So? I bet Defoe will outscore Kaboul this year too. Doesn't prove a thing if Gerrard and Lampard play almost as 2nd strikers in comparison to Huddlestone.

Now I'm arguing Huddlestone's corner, it will be said that they exaggerate how good he is.

VDV would have lots of shots from outside the area, but how many did he actually score? Does this mean he has a bad shot? In fact VDV scores from just 10% of his shots, does that mean he was poor at shooting? When he played for us Darren Bent scored with about 20% of his shots. I'm I supposed to conclude from that that Darren Bent has a better shot the VDV? gonads he does.

In that case - Bent has a twice as good conversion rate than VdV from distance (assuming those stats indicate shots from outside the box)

This place is really weird at times. i mean i've made my opinion of Huddlestone known quite clearly on here for a while now but to say he's not that good at shooting is simply ridiculous. The guy has the best shooting technique i've seen for a long time and his accuracy level in terms of shooting on target is exellent.

Thank you.

Back