• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
He seems to have no respect at all for the Spurs fans. Strange considering our club is the only one of stature to have ever employed him.

He needs to realise that we are ambitious and won't settle for finishing a bit higher than we did when we were brick and Alan Sugar grumbled about giving the manager a couple of quid to go and get a new striker.

Not doing himself any favours at all.

Well he is trying to do himself favours. But he's not playing to the Tottenham fans, he's playing to the media and his potential new employers. As usual he is trying to protect his reputation and insulate himself from everything going tits up here. This is the start of his campaign to convince them that he's done some type of miracle job with a 'mid table side'.

Well he is trying to do himself favours. But he's not playing to the Tottenham fans, he's playing to the media and his potential new employers. As usual he is trying to protect his reputation and insulate himself from everything going tits up here. This is the start of his campaign to convince them that he's done some type of miracle job with a 'mid table side'.

The end of the campaign being the bit where he leaves for England and we struggle to get new players in because his old farts are clogging up the wage bill. We then dip a few places only for him to point and say "See, I told you - I raised their level sooooooo high".

I think even he has the intelligence to realise that he's on dodgy ground there with our recent form.

It wouldn't be the 1st time he has rolled out that stat when things aren't going too well.

I would have thought he had the intelligence to not say what he has. Can't imagine Levy will be happy with that quote.

But that's not in line with the noises we've made previously about 30m bids in Spain, etc. Even Arry's said the chairman would be willing to spend for the right man/men.

There are good strikers out there who we can afford and wouldn't send us into liquidation. Llorente is one those, so is Remy, etc. Look even at Cisse - a mediocre signing (fee-wise) from a mediocre club. For me management has to shield some of the blame for that - no two ways about it.

Opting for semi-retired crocks while Everton took a punt on a striker from the SPL who's been scoring virtually a goal / a game is very frustrating, considering we essentially freed their wage structure for that in many ways.

You make it sound like you go into a shop and buy a quality player off the shelf

It wouldn't be the 1st time he has rolled out that stat when things aren't going too well.

I would have thought he had the intelligence to not say what he has. Can't imagine Levy will be happy with that quote.

Levy can't do anything. Redknapp knows Levy isn't gonna sack him now. Levy would be on a hiding to nothing from the media. And the club would miss out on their pay out from the FA in a few months.

Other teams seem to make it look that simple.

Newcastles buying (value for money wise) has been sensational the last couple of seasons.

Arsenal get players in regularly.

As do poorer teams like Everton.

Even Wigan know what they want, Moses and Maloney came in and fit the system perfectly.

We are the only team I can think of that make buying a player such hard work.

Which grates somewhat to then have the manager sounding off about good quality players he "looked at" but never moved for.

The end of the campaign being the bit where he leaves for England and we struggle to get new players in because his old farts are clogging up the wage bill. We then dip a few places only for him to point and say "See, I told you - I raised their level sooooooo high".

He has raised our level high. He took over when we were bottom of the league and we finished 9th. I absolutely agree that it wasn't tough to do because the sqaud we had was clearly too good to be fighting relegation and therefore I never really bought into the hoopla about what a great job he did.

However!

That pre-season we buy Bassong, Crouch, and the Kyle brothers. A centre back with potential, a decent but sometimes laughing stock target man with a poor goalscoring record, and two players that wouldn't play for us that season. And what happened? We fudging finish 4th.

We finished 9th before that pre season. Behind Fulham, Everton, Villa. Next to West Ham. Just above Emirates Marketing Project. Emirates Marketing Project then went and spent hundreds of millions on the likes of Robinho, Tevez, Adebayor, Barry, Lescott, Toure, Zabaleta, Bridge, De Jong etc etc. Offering obscene wages in the process. Did they finish above us? Did they fudge!

Do people realise how massive of an acheivement that was? Do people realise our resources were actually not that much greater than Villa's, or even West Ham who were offering more wages than us. Certainly not more than Liverpool. And absolutely not more than Emirates Marketing Project, who blew us out of the water. Harry is well and truly a victim of his own success. The performances he extracted out of the likes of Assou-Ekotto, Bassong, Kaboul, Huddlestone, Modric, Bale and Pavyluchenko was the best of their career. None of those players had performed in the Premier League to that level until Harry came along. He not only got them performing, he got them beating Emirates Marketing Project in their own stadium in order to finish ahead of them and their oil money.

He is absolutely, 100% right when he says we have never had it so good. We are only up there because of good management. The other teams have a far bigger budget than us. We have good players in the squad largely because Harry improved them to perform to that level, or because Harry has signed them. We are punching well above our weight and the only reason people think that isn't the case is because we have spent the last 2 years playing some of the best football and having some of the best times as Spurs fans we have seen for decades.

Yes, Jol got us two 5th place finishes, but that was a different Premier League. It was a time where there was no Emirates Marketing Project money, it was a time where Liverpool were winning the Champions League under Benitez, and it was a time where Saudi Sportswashing Machine were a laughing stock. We were clearly best of the rest then. Now, there are 5, if not 6 teams that should really be finishing above us based on finances and clout with wages. We should be in and around the upper mid-table with Sunderland, Villa and Everton. But we've pulled away.

Jumping from 9th to 4th with the type of signings we made was such a huge acheivement that has spoilt a lot of fans. Harry is absolutely right. I like what he is saying, because it should take the pressure off the players. I disagreed with him saying we could win the league because it puts the pressure on, when we would have to have serious luck to go injury free and have a shot at donig so. The players are snatching at shots right now, and their passing isn't as crisp. They need to know that they can fail in order to loosen up again. Harry's comments aren't going to stop them trying, but it's good to be reminded that we are actually playing well above where we realistically should be, rather than be seen as failures that have fudged up a title challenge.

Other teams seem to make it look that simple.

Newcastles buying (value for money wise) has been sensational the last couple of seasons.

Arsenal get players in regularly.

As do poorer teams like Everton.

Even Wigan know what they want, Moses and Maloney came in and fit the system perfectly.

We are the only team I can think of that make buying a player such hard work.

Which grates somewhat to then have the manager sounding off about good quality players he "looked at" but never moved for.

Come on man... Friedel, Walker, Gallas, Kaboul, Sandro, Parker and Adebayor - all important players that have played a part in getting us to where we are this season, and all at good value. Comparing our transfer policy to that of Wigan and Everton is madness, our resources and requirements are completely different.

And leaving us with over-aged cloggers on the wage bill? Like who? Nelsen is until the end of the season, and Saha can be shifted too. Gallas has been brilliant for us when fit, but can also be released at the end of this year. Friedel can stay another year, but if we sign a younger keeper he won't have any shortage of takers. Ummmm....who else?

Harry inherited a fantastic squad that was lost. His greatest achievement was getting them all back on the same page and buying Palacios.

Problem is, as the team has achieved Harry hasnt raised his game to match.

Whichever way you look at it, Harry is responsible. He is the manager after all.

Since it is obvious my argument didn't come through I'll rephrase it.

It doesn't matter to me, I do not see it as relevant, what he has done in his management of the team, what results he has got by deploying this or that tactic or making this or that sub. I do not see this as the main source of the club's current problems. His handling of the media situation on the other hand has ruined our run-in. And yes, of course he is responsible for that.

Edit: Let's add to that even; I think the tactics that Harry used in the part of the season where things have gone down the drain would have worked if the players weren't all thinking 'Harry is leaving, abandon ship!"
His tactical flaws and so on? They would still have won us games because our players would have had their heads in place.

Last edited:
Harry inherited a fantastic squad that was lost. His greatest achievement was getting them all back on the same page and buying Palacios.

Exagerration... Jenas and Zokora as first-choice central midfielders. Bent, Pav and Frazier Campbell as the only strikers. Of course there was a lot of talent in the squad, but it certainly wasn't fantastic.

The team has achieved because of Harry! We got to the CL for the first time because of him! We were challenging for the title because of him! We've gone through a bad run of 8 games, but that doesn't discount everyhting that's happened before!

And before people say it, I'm not saying that we shouldn't care about the bad run because of the previous success. I'm just saying that when we judge Redknapp as a manger, everything he's done has to be taken into account, not just the last 8 f*cking games!

Last edited:
Come on man... Friedel, Walker, Gallas, Kaboul, Sandro, Parker and Adebayor - all important players that have played a part in getting us to where we are this season, and all at good value. Comparing our transfer policy to that of Wigan and Everton is madness, our resources and requirements are completely different.

The comparison is simple, other teams get what they need as best they can. We dont.

How long have we needed a new CB? Cover for either flank? A bloody striker!

And how many have joined the league that would have comlimented our team/squad very well and didnt even cost the earth?

In all probability Levy is to blame as well. AS A CLUB we suck at getting transfers done.

Was it really that great? Jenas and Zokora as midfield options. Bent and Frazier Campbell as strikers. Other than that, the likes of Gomes, BAE, Bale, Pavyluchenko, Modric and Huddlestone had never played to the level they did under Harry. So many players have potential in this league, Harry got our squad all to play to theirs, and that's what makes him a great manager. A lot of them could have failed so easily. He then added to it, mostly with quality. He got Lennon scoring goals and being more dangerous and consistent than he's ever been. He has gotten us to the level where the clubs we need to be better than can spend 100M in the summer, and we simply can't match it. That's why he hasn't 'stepped up' further than his already fantastic acheivements. He's done so much and people have turned on him because of a bad run of form. Nothing he says in the interview is false. People need to actually read the whole thing because they are taking one quote (that is completely true!) out of context to attack him. It's really quite sad.

Exagerration... Jenas and Zokora as first-choice central midfielders. Bent, Pav and Frazier Campbell as the only strikers. Of course there was a lot of talent in the squad, but it certainly wasn't fantastic.

The team has achieved because of Harry! We got to the CL for the first time because of him! We were challenging for the title because of him! We've gone through a bad run of 8 games, but that doesn't discount everyhting that's happened before!

And before people say it, I'm not saying that we shouldn't care about the bad run because of the previous success. I'm just saying that when we judge Redknapp as a manger, everything he's done has to be taken into account, not just the last 8 f*cking games!

regarding the strikers, ok, he inherited Bent, Pav, and Campbell, but he will be leaving us with Defoe and Saha. Its not good is it?

(VDV is an attacking midfielder)

The comparison is simple, other teams get what they need as best they can. We dont.

How long have we needed a new CB? Cover for either flank? A bloody striker!

And how many have joined the league that would have comlimented our team/squad very well and didnt even cost the earth?

In all probability Levy is to blame as well. AS A CLUB we suck at getting transfers done.

Needed a reliable keeper to replace the eccentric Gomes - got Friedel.
Needed an experienced CB to play alongside Dawson / Kaboul when Ledley's out - got Gallas.
Needed some extra steel in midfield as Palacios went downhill - got Sandro and Parker.
Needed a quality all-round striker, which don't exactly grow on trees, and certainly not cheap ones - got Adebayor.

I agree that we need cover for Lennon, but let's not act as if we haven't been getting good players in the positions required at all.

Was it really that great? Jenas and Zokora as midfield options. Bent and Frazier Campbell as strikers. Other than that, the likes of Gomes, BAE, Bale, Pavyluchenko, Modric and Huddlestone had never played to the level they did under Harry. So many players have potential in this league, Harry got our squad all to play to theirs, and that's what makes him a great manager. A lot of them could have failed so easily. He then added to it, mostly with quality. He got Lennon scoring goals and being more dangerous and consistent than he's ever been. He has gotten us to the level where the clubs we need to be better than can spend 100M in the summer, and we simply can't match it. That's why he hasn't 'stepped up' further than his already fantastic acheivements. He's done so much and people have turned on him because of a bad run of form. Nothing he says in the interview is false. People need to actually read the whole thing because they are taking one quote (that is completely true!) out of context to attack him. It's really quite sad.

Baggy faced piece of brick c*nt.

Can't leave a minute too soon.

He is so fudging small time and amateurish in his transparent expectation downgrade attempt it's fudging embarrassing.

Get out of N17 you mug.

Back