• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
The view from the Harry-GHod-supporters seems to be that everyone not that impressed by him is a gloryhunting teenager; from what I've seen on this forum and other forums that's not the case - usually there are more reflections about the whole Redknapp-pacage from our "camp".

But since my impression about those very pro-Redknapp is that they seems to be the same that looks at Modrics goals and assist-stats and think he's rather mediocre, and only judge our league-performance based on the table and thinks it's pretty triffic - so maybe it goes both ways.

Indeed, makes me laugh. Yes, I'd love Modders to score a few more goals, but his quality is absolutely beyond question, and if we lose him, we will find out the hard way how important he has been to us the last three seasons. I actually believe he is 100% irreplaceable, and that we would actually have to change the way we play were we to sell him.

He constructed himself as the people's choice and then kept stoking the fire.

Very easy to brush off - 'not interested at the moment, have a job, fudge off'.

Instead of

'Would love to, would lie if I said no, triffic honour, would be a hard choice, would have to think very hard, this would be my team, etc,'

I'll go one further...he could've actually ASKED his copious media friends to keep the cacophony DOWN so as he could FOCUS on his job....oh, sorry, I must be "trumping" again...

"The anti-Harry phalanx"...listen to yourself. It's all black and white is it? Behave man!
"trumping"...OK, can you explain to me what happened between Feb 22nd and the middle of April?
I could double your list of managers, there again I'd rather discuss the topic at hand...Harry.
"trumping their arguments across..." you're fantastic southstand, because it is wholly obvious you yourself never flimflam anyone!

Now, teach me a lesson, teach me something I don't know (being that I am a trumper -you've called me that several times without basis) and answer my question with something a little more substantial than either "not worth it 'cos you're anti-harry" or "people make mistakes"...

Ok, here is the VERY real truth:

4th. 5th. 4th

I can list dates too. A slight longer range though, rather than basing an entire season on the blip.

10th September - 11th February

Zzzzzzzzz

Ok, here is the VERY real truth:

4th. 5th. 4th

I can list dates too. A slight longer range though, rather than basing an entire season on the blip.

10th September - 11th February

Zzzzzzzzz

Let me ask you another question (even though you obviously find this so boring that you cannot stop yourself chipping in) and let's see if you flimflam your way through that one like you did this one...do you, in your heart of hearts, believe that Harry will ever be able to compete for more than one trophy at a time? And would you ever, in your heart of hearts, acknowledge that Harry is not perfection on a stick? Simple questions, see if you can avoid answering those too...BTW, delight you're happy with 5th given the squad we had season before last. You're a better, more intelligent and more evolved man than I...but you knew that already LOL.

Trophy - Yes of course. We were 1 game away from winning the FA cup this season

Perfection - Of course not. I never said he was. I just won't be calling for the head of a manager that gives us regular champions league football. That is ridiculous. By that rationale, Fergie and Wenger should be sacked.

Perhaps you should review the early years of Ferguson at United. Or the last 7 years of Wenger's reign.

In the style of the very best politician, I'll respond with a question in response to yours, when has he ever had an opportunity to?

West Ham and Pompey spring to mind, he had time and funds to really leave a legacy behind and build something special.

Dynasty is relative, isnt it? Neither of those teams were going to be left at the top of the table, but IMO leaving a dynasty at either could have consisted of leaving a fully formed academy, the team comfortably midtable and/or competing for europe, an exciting squad (relatively) and embedded identity on the team.

Trophy - Yes of course. We were 1 game away from winning the FA cup this season

Perfection - Of course not. I never said he was. I just won't be calling for the head of a manager that gives us regular champions league football. That is ridiculous. By that rationale, Fergie and Wenger should be sacked.

Perhaps you should review the early years of Ferguson at United. Or the last 7 years of Wenger's reign.

I am NOT necessarily calling for his head.
What I have CONSISTENTLY done, for the last two seasons, is criticize him when he is not focussing on his job. I have always said Harry does two things better than just about any manager bar SAF; man-manages his squad and squad rotation. When we came 4th, he was superb in getting Niko and Eidur to come through at vital times, he also man-managed Gomes to allow him to basically make three of the best saves I have seen in 40 years as a supporter against the goons and chavski. Last season, due to the trial preparations, he took his eye off the ball and was not especially engaged. He did not rotate the squad as well and he did not man-manage like the season before. This season, same thing...the moment the FA sacked Capello, his head went and he was not focussed. I am also very, very scared of his own PERSONAL transfer desires/policy, and am happy Levy has a system in place that sees us getting the likes of Vertonghen and (hopefully) the Remys of this world, rather than the Bellamys.

You talk about Fergie, he developed a side built around youth. Harry, regardless of opinions, is not doing that...again, looked like he was with the UEFA Cup squad (which I thought was brilliant personally as I thought come Jan/feb, he'll have some youngsters he can pitch in) then we came to those months and not a sign of Carroll/Smith, etc, etc...I applaud him for seeing that Livermore is a total asset.

Again, like every supporter, I appreciate both what he has done and what he CAN do...but I am not blind to where his true loyalties lie mate, and sad to say, they aren't with us. No different to most of the players I suppose thus perhaps I shouldn't expect so much, but again, like many of us, I want to believe that this affable "geezer" is for real, when the truth is NONE of us would buy a used car from him.

p.s. I would be fine being "wrong" "a trumper", etc, etc, but I will not waver on the fact that Levy is not happy right now, and that a lot rides on Saturday with regards to where this club will be going in the summer/whether we can close out players we've been onto, etc, etc...again, let's hope it's all academic and that the "right" stuff happens eh? Come on Bayern.

Last edited:
I'd say that he left West Ham in reasonable shape and was responsible for blooding some of the young players that came through the excellent youth Set Up at that time People like Carrick and Joe Cole come to mind. Pompey were left in bad shape financially but he did win them a trophy and get them into Europe. Popular opinion holds harry responsible for there subsequent implosion but I'd have thought that the chairman and board of directors were responsible if they let him run riot with the funds.

West Ham and Pompey spring to mind, he had time and funds to really leave a legacy behind and build something special.

Dynasty is relative, isnt it? Neither of those teams were going to be left at the top of the table, but IMO leaving a dynasty at either could have consisted of leaving a fully formed academy, the team comfortably midtable and/or competing for europe, an exciting squad (relatively) and embedded identity on the team.

I would further suggest that close scrutiny of the clubs Harry has been at, versus how he left them equipped, is actually scary stuff, and further reason that we should be thankful the chairman has a handle on the situation (runs for cover from moonlit's scathing sword of criticism!)...

I am NOT necessarily calling for his head.
What I have CONSISTENTLY done, for the last two seasons, is criticize him when he is not focussing on his job. I have always said Harry does two things better than just about any manager bar SAF; man-manages his squad and squad rotation. When we came 4th, he was superb in getting Niko and Eidur to come through at vital times, he also man-managed Gomes to allow him to basically make three of the best saves I have seen in 40 years as a supporter against the goons and chavski. Last season, due to the trial preparations, he took his eye off the ball and was not especially engaged. He did not rotate the squad as well and he did not man-manage like the season before. This season, same thing...the moment the FA sacked Capello, his head went and he was not focussed. I am also very, very scared of his own PERSONAL transfer desires/policy, and am happy Levy has a system in place that sees us getting the likes of Vertonghen and (hopefully) the Remys of this world, rather than the Bellamys.

You talk about Fergie, he developed a side built around youth. Harry, regardless of opinions, is not doing that...again, looked like he was with the UEFA Cup squad (which I thought was brilliant personally as I thought come Jan/feb, he'll have some youngsters he can pitch in) then we came to those months and not a sign of Carroll/Smith, etc, etc...I applaud him for seeing that Livermore is a total asset.

Again, like every supporter, I appreciate both what he has done and what he CAN do...but I am not blind to where his true loyalties lie mate, and sad to say, they aren't with us. No different to most of the players I suppose thus perhaps I shouldn't expect so much, but again, like many of us, I want to believe that this affable "geezer" is for real, when the truth is NONE of us would buy a used car from him.

p.s. I would be fine being "wrong" "a trumper", etc, etc, but I will not waver on the fact that Levy is not happy right now, and that a lot rides on Saturday with regards to where this club will be going in the summer/whether we can close out players we've been onto, etc, etc...again, let's hope it's all academic and that the "right" stuff happens eh? Come on Bayern.

Up the Spurs

I've no idea, I think very few recent managers can, aside from Ferguson, Wenger and Mourhino. Mancicni possibly could but we'll have to wait and see on that one. Did Brian Clough leave a Dynasty at Notts Forest??

He "lived" a dynasty...champions and twice European Cup winners...Cloughie's biggest problem was he stayed too long and should've eased out about 5 years earlier...B TW, was anyone here up there when he got one of his few wins that seasons against us? WHat a shocking day! Even Robert Rosario scored! I remember it was such a brick goal half of us were laughing!

He "lived" a dynasty...champions and twice European Cup winners...Cloughie's biggest problem was he stayed too long and should've eased out about 5 years earlier...B TW, was anyone here up there when he got one of his few wins that seasons against us? WHat a shocking day! Even Robert Rosario scored! I remember it was such a brick goal half of us were laughing!

He absolutely lived a dynasty but left them relegated and with a poor squad.

So you believe sacking him now and appointing a new manager would cause less disruption than have him for (at least) one more season and judge from there onwards - all assuming Levy doesn't fully trust him.

I think that a chairman should have a strategy the club and appoint a manager who can help him achieve this. If the chairman loses faith in his manager's ability to meet the strategy he should replace him. If the chairman supports his manager then he should back him. I think that uncertainty makes both of their jobs harder and the club less likely to succeed.

This is not unique to football, this is just good leadership. The difference with football is that having seasons gives you only a limited time to make changes when they will cause the minimum disruption. The transfer window exacerbates this.

If (and it is a big if) Levy has lost faith in Redknapp then I think that he should be replaced now. Personally, I would be amazed if Levy was unhappy with two fourth and a fifth placed finish over the last three seasons.

I would hope that Levy makes decisions based on long term trends and objectives rather than a period of form over part of the season. Statistics tell us less, the smaller amount that you study.

In the Premier League to correlation between final league position and the wage bill is very close. There are five clubs that have bigger wage bills than us. This season we finished comfortably above two clubs that have spent over ?ú100m on transfers in the last year and a half. When you look at our achievements against what we spend over the last few years, we are massively over achieving. That does not mean that it was not disappointing to fail to hold onto third but I would hope that Levy looks at the over all trend rather than a dip within it.

I've no idea, I think very few recent managers can, aside from Ferguson, Wenger and Mourhino. Mancicni possibly could but we'll have to wait and see on that one. Did Brian Clough leave a Dynasty at Notts Forest??

So you want to press me but dont really have a view yourself? :twisted:

If pushed I would say that no, I dont think Harry can build a dynasty.

Im not convinced he can truly fullfill the potential at the club in the short term, despite being a "short term" manager by his nature.

Back