• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
Here's a democratic solution for you - include an option to renew based on performances (where we finish, cup runs, etc.)

We do well = he's offered another 2 years (which he can turn down if he wants)

It's not democratic, it is a performance based incentive, it is also a terrible way of running a football club.

We could finish 4th next year and Redknapp could be the wrong man to take us forward or finish 6th and be the right man.

Exactly the same as the result of the Champions' League final has no bearing on his suitability now.

I doubt Levy cares much either way about winning a cup but even if he does it will be a little down his list of priorities.

It's a performance driven business, sadly. At least - for a club of our aspirations.

In addition - if he finishes 6th next year - it would be fair to say he isn't the right man to take us forward, as far as I'm concerned (same squad with a few improvements). Would you disagree?

Last edited:
In addition - if he finishes 6th next year - it would be fair to say he isn't the right man to take us forward, as far as I'm concerned (same squad with a few improvements). Would you disagree?

No, but he finished 4th this year

How ridiculous to suggest he should be sacked. Would you disagree?

ArcspacE said:
Perhaps Levy doesn't want to committ long-term contracts to a man who recently refused to comitt himself to us as much as many choose to blatantly ignore this point. i.e. keep it short and easy for now to avoid major disappointments on both parties.

I'm not ignoring this point, I have said that if Levy does not think that Redknapp is the man to take us forward, he should sack him and bring in someone who he thinks is. If the England manager vacancy has affected Redknapp's standing in the club, it should be dealt with now. I don't see how another year would change that. The last thing we need is a repeat of the Jol sacking.

I don't mean you. IIRC you voted "No"

But this thread is a fudging joke

Makes us look like gooners

But the thread has evolved beyond the knee-jerk title into some fairly enjoyable debates which address bigger issues as far as the club and manager are concerned.

Please, dad.

It's a performance driven business, sadly. At least - for a club of our aspirations.

That depends on what else happens. If I was chairman I would set fourth as the target for next season but there are too many variables and the league too competitive to say this is the only measure of whether Redknapp (or any other manager) is the right man to take us forwards.

I'm not ignoring this point, I have said that if Levy does not think that Redknapp is the man to take us forward, he should sack him and bring in someone who he thinks is. If the England manager vacancy has affected Redknapp's standing in the club, it should be dealt with now. I don't see how another year would change that. The last thing we need is a repeat of the Jol sacking.

So you believe sacking him now and appointing a new manager would cause less disruption than have him for (at least) one more season and judge from there onwards - all assuming Levy doesn't fully trust him.

So you believe sacking him now and appointing a new manager would cause less disruption than have him for (at least) one more season and judge from there onwards - all assuming Levy doesn't fully trust him.

We'd effectively be entering a self-imposed transitional season, and to me that just seems pointless.

When a club is singing from the same hymn sheet from top to bottom, that's when it is successful. When the manager has the respect of the players and board alike and everyone buys into that vision, clubs will be relatively successful more often than not.

He's either the right man for the club, and we then enter a strategy as a club for the next 3 years and beyond, building on Redknapp's strengths and allowing him to flourish and function and put his plans into place, or we let him go and bring someone else in who we do trust to implement some form of plan.

Keeping Redknapp if he didn't have the respect of the board would translate to the players and undermine their respect for him. It would then be all too easy for disharmony to foster and as soon as results don't go our way, rather than pull together the blame game would start and it will take longer to get out of the rut. But ignoring that, we wouldn't be able to put a plan in place. We'd be going from window to window, trying to patch up the squad as we go, with no clear definition of the strategy we are employing.

Milo is totally right in my view. Harry could be the wrong man now and should go, or he could be the right man next year even if he finishes 6th. But if it's deemed that he is the right man, then he should be backed. A new manager coming in with a pre-season to prepare and a balanced squad that needs only subtle improvements wouldn't cause disruption. More disruption would be caused from not fully trusting a manager and then letting him carry on into the season to see how he does, and then as soon as results go against us, get the feeling that the lack of trust was justified and then letting him go early. Which would be more likely to happen if they didn't trust him for sure.

I just don't see why you'd rather a club not really sure of where it wants to be heading in the medium to long term than a club that gets their man in place, backs him and works together on a clear strategy to attain their targets. Why would you want potential uncertainty? Why would you want questions being asked? Why would you want a lack of trust running through the club? It just makes no sense to me. Almost every successful club has trust and belief, and togetherness working down from the Chairman and the board, through the manager and on to the players. Almost every club failing to live up to expectations can be traced to not having that very same thing at some point in the chain.

I would also add it may be slightly different if we had a DOF in place, and maybe we could plan some sort of long term succession plan if it looked likely that a manager may leave. Transfer targets wouldn't have to be radically different and the general strategy could still be followed through.

But Harry is an old-school manager and therefore is responsible overall for the football side of the club, top to bottom. He decides who are transfer targets will be, he decides the coaching structure, he decides which academy players are looking like they are going to make it and maybe deserve a chance to train with the first team, plus a million other things. It would all fall ultimately on him. And I just fail to see the logic in leaving all of that up in the air while we wait to see how he does next season.

He will not change as a manager. He will be who he is, for better or worse. I believe personally that he suits us, but that's just me. But he will not change. He could have an extremely lucky season where we get second because we get last minute winners in 15 games of the season. We could have a terribly unlucky season where we have injuries to Bale, Lennon, Modric and VDV at the same time for 6 months, finish 8th, and have 10 non-offside goals chalked off for offside. Or we could be swapping 4th and 5th position with Arsenal all season, where the margins were so fine, and we get a lucky referee call on the last day that gets us 4th or we have a bad call against us where we end up 5th. But either way, whatever happens, he would not be different as a manager. He would have either been the right man or the wrong man.

But creating that uncertainty and imposing it upon ourselves would just be mad IMO.

Potential uncertaintly - you said it. He has a contract for next season as far as I'm concerned.

The rest is speculation really.

Not signing a new contract would have negligible impact on our season, imv - as opposed to failing to hold on to key players and making the right transfers. The rest comes down to getting the right recipe on the field. I know the counter-argument is = getting the right players somehow depends on Redknapp's contract length but I simply cannot buy into that logic. If that is true and Levy didn't trust him for the last 3 years - he won't trust him now either.

A transition season is inevitable, imv - the sooner we accept that, the softer the confidence / expectaions blow would be.

This is where I disagree with you.

Based on next year's performance he can be (by all means possible) offered a new deal.

I tend to think the effect of a lack of contract hanging over Harry will be one of two extremes
1) Harry thinks "fudge you too" and drops the ball like in Feb/Mar
or 2) Harry thinks "Ill show you" and plays a blinder

Obviously Im hoping for the latter, not sure which it might be though

When has the idea of allowing the manager's contract to run down at a top club ever happened? It just doesn't.

But in terms of non-caretaker positions, this never happens. The uncertainty is too great. It would be a negative, just like it was this year. Just like it was for Fergie. For Blanc.

Even if you couldn't say it would definitely be a negative, why put us in the position of taking the risk? Certainly no actual good comes from carrying on like this, but a lot of bad potentially could.

Barcelona and Guardiola disagree

Of course a player considers stability when deciding which club to join. That does not mean that it is the only factor, wages, whether it will help them further their career, the amount that they will play, whether the teams style of play suits them, potential for winning things and whether it seems like a pleasant working environment must also come into play. But to deny that it is a factor is arguing for the sake of it.

Of course a player looks for stability, over the next 2-3 seasons anyway I expect, but that need not be tied to the manager.

It seems more and more common for players to have as much of a relationship with the hierachy/board as they do the manager.

Just as it is not at all uncommon for players to outlast managers at clubs.

I think the stability a player looks for is a good contract and the knowledge of where they stand with the club/board (as opposed to manager, who are often transient)

Football Manager is a stat based football simulation. All players are graded on various skills (pace, flair, stamina, strength, technique and loads more). You buy and sell in order to create a winning team. Since it's so easy to judge players and of course the simplicity of buying/selling, many now see themselves as more qualified than those that actually do this in real life.

Christ, I can see the problems that causes! Obviously, until they develop a computer game which can accurately convey the psychological profile of each player/manager, and the various mental shifts which occur during a season, this game is wholly inaccurate. Stats without context in full color it sounds like...oh dear...

Another opinion posted as fact.

I'm sorry, but the anti-harry phalanx are not doing themselves any favours by effectively bull bricking their arguments across

The VERY real truth

In which case, the VERY real truth is that Mancini, Mourinho, Guardiola, Ferguson and Wenger were also found wanting

That is just as factually correct as your statement. People make mistakes.

That's a VERY VERY real truth

"The anti-Harry phalanx"...listen to yourself. It's all black and white is it? Behave man!
"trumping"...OK, can you explain to me what happened between Feb 22nd and the middle of April?
I could double your list of managers, there again I'd rather discuss the topic at hand...Harry.
"trumping their arguments across..." you're fantastic southstand, because it is wholly obvious you yourself never flimflam anyone!

Now, teach me a lesson, teach me something I don't know (being that I am a trumper -you've called me that several times without basis) and answer my question with something a little more substantial than either "not worth it 'cos you're anti-harry" or "people make mistakes"...

But if Levy is willing to back him, and willing to let Harry build a dynasty here, then Harry should stay. There should be no half way house with this though. It's the future of our club and it's important to be on a clear, consistent path so we all know where we are heading.

Genuine question...what would define the building of a dynasty here? What signings would you expect a manager of Harry's calibre to make/be supported making?

Back