• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
Well done. You have worn me down and worn me out.

Is that how they teach engineers to behave. Be futile, be immature and when all else fails, falsely accuse the person of "fabricating the evidence". You must be really be pleased with yourself.

BTW Just lke all your other assumptions about me - you are wrong. I have two honours degrees from Cambridge University and am a qualified professional. But no not an astronaut - Ill leave you to fly up in your own little world where there are rainbows in the sky all day long. You seem happiest there. If you are happy anywhere.

Which degrees?

Is that how they teach engineers to behave. Be futile, be immature and when all else fails, falsely accuse the person of "fabricating the evidence". You must be really be pleased with yourself.

BTW Just lke all your other assumptions about me - you are wrong. I have two honours degrees from Cambridge University and am a qualified professional. But no not an astronaut - Ill leave you to fly up in your own little world where there are rainbows in the sky all day long. You seem happiest there. If you are happy anywhere.

and I have 3 degrees, when will I see you again?

and the humility, breeding and good manners to accept when I am wrong, and admit to when I have misunderstood something. I received my education whilst serving in the army, and whilst it didn't cost me whatever it cost your parents to put you through university, I did the entire qualification in 16 months, and not need 3/4 years to be babied through the process. Honours? so, seconds then............ people who get firsts always make sure they distinguish themselves from 2nds.
Two degrees, and not engineering. Probably something really tossy like music then, I'd guess, or Byzantine art. Degrees where you don't have to be particularly clever, just be able to remember large amounts of drivel and regurgitate it on paper. Unlike an engineeering degree, where you actually have to grasp concepts, have the intelligence to manipilate theorums, and work accurately within boundaries to produce working results. As opposed to a degree in the arts, where you just need to spell your name and remember a few facts about your subject and write a load of gonads about them for a few 3 hour exams.
Clearly it wasn't English, given the paucity of your spelling, understanding of etymology and grasp of the English language. Maybe I'm being unfair, and that English isn't your first language, if thats the case then its understandable.

But you are right, I am happiest in the sky all day long. Sadly I have my feet rooted firmly on the ground.

OK
thats my smartarse phase over, and from an engineering standpoint - one never likes to waste an opportunity to ridicule arts graduates, particularly pompous ones.

This is clearly a misunderstanding over semantics, and a stupid waste of both of our times, so it would be better for us both to get on with supporting our club in the way that we both see fit, and accept that over this issue, ie HR (remember what this was about, before you turned it into an educational tinkling contest?) we will have to accept that we don't share the same views.

So you can graduate from Cambridge with two honours degrees without being able to spell succinct or inane correctly?

This country is knackered! Or.........

Jesus frikkin' Christ, I've actually forgotten what this thread was about in the first place!!!

yawn.jpg

Harry vindicated?

New Study Vindicates Harry RedknappÔÇÖs Europa League Rotation Policy

• New study demonstrates player fatigue is distorting European football
  • Clear performance deficit suffered by teams playing after only two daysÔÇÖ recovery
  • Domestic title and European qualification outcomes affected
  • Study author, Raymond Verheijen, calls for mandatory three-day gap between matches

ÔÇÿthe fact that Spurs are still well placed to qualify for the Champions League is absolutely down to Harry RedknappÔÇÖs refusal to play his first team in the Europa League,ÔÇÖ he continues.

The new study, which incorporates top tier league, Champions League and Europa League matches across seven countries and ten seasons, offers emphatic proof that teams playing every three days are substantially disadvantaged by player fatigue, and for the first time quantifies this disadvantage across a season.

To restore fair play, its author, Raymond Verheijen, is calling upon national leagues, associations and international federations to make a three-day gap between matches mandatory in all fixture scheduling.

Across the study, teams playing after just two daysÔÇÖ recovery against teams who had enjoyed at least a three-day gap were found to be 39% less likely to win at home and 42% less likely to win away.

Where both teams had just two daysÔÇÖ rest, the away team suffered more, showing a 26% reduced likelihood of victory.

In terms of league points lost, teams playing on the Saturday following a Wednesday night Champions League fixture were found to reap 0.55 points less than average, and teams playing on Sunday following a Thursday night Europa League match were 0.41 points per game worse off.

This season, Celtic have fared 0.94 pts per game worse after Europa League fixtures than in other weeks. In the 2010/11 season, StuttgartÔÇÖs form after their elimination from the Europa League improved by 1.08 pts per game, and they rose from bottom of the table to finish 12th.

The study also focused upon 71,251 goals and when they were scored during games. In parallel with winning less and losing more after just two recovery days, teams scored 0.52 fewer goals per game, scored 0.3 goals less in the final third and conceded 0.45 more goals than average in the final half hour.

Verheijen, world footballÔÇÖs foremost authority on player periodisation, has witnessed the effects of insufficient recovery throughout his career, in terms of both performance and player injury rates. The study now underlines what he knew to be true, that full recovery is not possible in just two days.

ÔÇÿThe results are clear,ÔÇÖ comments Verheijen, ÔÇÿon the basis of this evidence, I donÔÇÖt see how the gameÔÇÖs authorities can continue to ask teams to play twice in three days. It is simply not fair play.ÔÇÖ

He contends, however, that this need not create issues for footballÔÇÖs governing bodies. ÔÇÿThere is a lot of debate at the moment about player fatigue and injuries due to too many fixtures. The problem is not the number of fixtures, but the scheduling. The differences in performance between teams after a three and a six-day gap are almost imperceptible. In Portugal, for example, where the FA offers clubs involved in Europe the chance to play on Friday or Monday to allow full recovery, this effect does not exist.ÔÇÖ

Verheijen continues, ÔÇÿonly two days recovery does not automatically mean a bad result, but most bad results can be explained by only two recovery days.ÔÇÖ

ÔÇÿLook at the Premiership teamsÔÇÖ attempts to qualify for the last 16 of the Champions League this season. The eight worst results all came after two-day gaps: Manchester CityÔÇÖs away defeats to both Bayern Munich and Napoli, Manchester UnitedÔÇÖs home draws against Basel and Benfica, ChelseaÔÇÖs away draw with Genk and defeat to Leverkusen and ArsenalÔÇÖs draws with Dortmund and Marseille.ÔÇÖ

The outspoken Verheijen has worked alongside Guus Hiddink, dingdong Advocaat and Frank Rijkaard at the last three World Cups and three European Championships, as a consultant for Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project, Barcelona, Zenit St. Petersburg and Feyenoord, and until recently worked alongside Gary Speed to elevate Wales into FIFA rankingÔÇÖs top 50 nations.

Last year, Verheijen joined forces with Guus Hiddink to launch the World Football Academy, an institute dedicated to bringing the worldÔÇÖs best coaches and professionals to the doorstep of football people at all levels of the game.

For full details of the study, visit: www.worldfootballacademy.com

PR

all sounds like a lot of hot air to me - if you rotate well there's no reason why you can't incorporate a prolonged stint in Europe as well having a good domestic season, after all how do the top teams in the CL do it year after year ?

that said the 19 games required to reach the Europa League final is quite a joke, i personally think this competition would benefit from being straight knock out - even still if we had played the group games with a little more purpose there is no reason we shouldn't have really got through in to the knock out stages, all it required was 2 or 3 more senior players involved and im sure we could have advanced without it effecting our league form

if you can't get used to a league campaign + EL how are you ever expected to cope when you're in the CL ?

Last edited:
Haven't checked this out but I thought all OUR league games WERE played a minimum of three days after Europa ties, usually on the Sunday following the Thursday.

So a new rule like this, sensible though it is, would not particularly benefit us.

Real problem is too many games, period.

The author talks about the Manchester team's poor CL results after "two-day gaps" for games when they played on the 3rd day after their previous match. So I think by a "three-day gap" he means 3 consecutive days when the players aren't involved in a match - ie. if you play on Thursday, you wouldn't play on Fri, Sat or Sun, but could play on Monday.

In answer to the thread title: No!

We have had a poor method of rotation because:

a) we don't have a reserve league anymore for recently injured or out-of-favour players to get back to match fitness before being put back 'in the deep end'
b) Harry is a poor rotator mainly because he doesn't have a ready made back-up system when he finds a first-choice one that works

He might have a point but what can anyone do.
There's 7 days in a week. He proposes a 3 day gap between games. That would only work with a 8 day week.

New Study Vindicates Harry Redknapp’s Europa League Rotation Policy

• New study demonstrates player fatigue is distorting European football
  • Clear performance deficit suffered by teams playing after only two days’ recovery
  • Domestic title and European qualification outcomes affected
  • Study author, Raymond Verheijen, calls for mandatory three-day gap between matches

‘the fact that Spurs are still well placed to qualify for the Champions League is absolutely down to Harry Redknapp’s refusal to play his first team in the Europa League,’ he continues.

The new study, which incorporates top tier league, Champions League and Europa League matches across seven countries and ten seasons, offers emphatic proof that teams playing every three days are substantially disadvantaged by player fatigue, and for the first time quantifies this disadvantage across a season.

To restore fair play, its author, Raymond Verheijen, is calling upon national leagues, associations and international federations to make a three-day gap between matches mandatory in all fixture scheduling.

Across the study, teams playing after just two days’ recovery against teams who had enjoyed at least a three-day gap were found to be 39% less likely to win at home and 42% less likely to win away.

Where both teams had just two days’ rest, the away team suffered more, showing a 26% reduced likelihood of victory.

In terms of league points lost, teams playing on the Saturday following a Wednesday night Champions League fixture were found to reap 0.55 points less than average, and teams playing on Sunday following a Thursday night Europa League match were 0.41 points per game worse off.

This season, Celtic have fared 0.94 pts per game worse after Europa League fixtures than in other weeks. In the 2010/11 season, Stuttgart’s form after their elimination from the Europa League improved by 1.08 pts per game, and they rose from bottom of the table to finish 12th.

The study also focused upon 71,251 goals and when they were scored during games. In parallel with winning less and losing more after just two recovery days, teams scored 0.52 fewer goals per game, scored 0.3 goals less in the final third and conceded 0.45 more goals than average in the final half hour.

Verheijen, world football’s foremost authority on player periodisation, has witnessed the effects of insufficient recovery throughout his career, in terms of both performance and player injury rates. The study now underlines what he knew to be true, that full recovery is not possible in just two days.

‘The results are clear,’ comments Verheijen, ‘on the basis of this evidence, I don’t see how the game’s authorities can continue to ask teams to play twice in three days. It is simply not fair play.’

He contends, however, that this need not create issues for football’s governing bodies. ‘There is a lot of debate at the moment about player fatigue and injuries due to too many fixtures. The problem is not the number of fixtures, but the scheduling. The differences in performance between teams after a three and a six-day gap are almost imperceptible. In Portugal, for example, where the FA offers clubs involved in Europe the chance to play on Friday or Monday to allow full recovery, this effect does not exist.’

Verheijen continues, ‘only two days recovery does not automatically mean a bad result, but most bad results can be explained by only two recovery days.’‘Look at the Premiership teams’ attempts to qualify for the last 16 of the Champions League this season. The eight worst results all came after two-day gaps: Emirates Marketing Project’s away defeats to both Bayern Munich and Napoli, Manchester United’s home draws against Basel and Benfica, Chelsea’s away draw with Genk and defeat to Leverkusen and Arsenal’s draws with Dortmund and Marseille.’

The outspoken Verheijen has worked alongside Guus Hiddink, dingdong Advocaat and Frank Rijkaard at the last three World Cups and three European Championships, as a consultant for Chelsea, Emirates Marketing Project, Barcelona, Zenit St. Petersburg and Feyenoord, and until recently worked alongside Gary Speed to elevate Wales into FIFA ranking’s top 50 nations.

Last year, Verheijen joined forces with Guus Hiddink to launch the World Football Academy, an institute dedicated to bringing the world’s best coaches and professionals to the doorstep of football people at all levels of the game.

For full details of the study, visit: www.worldfootballacademy.com

PR

I'm most interested in the part in bold, but I have fixed it for him.

Verheijen continues, ‘only two days recovery does not automatically mean a bad result, but most bad results can be used as an excuse by only two recovery days.

I'm most interested in the part in bold, but I have fixed it for him.

Verheijen continues, ‘only two days recovery does not automatically mean a bad result, but most bad results can be used as an excuse by only two recovery days.

His statistical analysis would suggest otherwise. Unless you're arguing that teams go into such games more prepared or 'willing' to lose, because they know they'll have that as an excuse?

It's pretty clear we need to move to an 8 day week with 3 days off per week:

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Footballday
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Footballday

Back