• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
I absolutely agree we cannot be sure there was firm instruction, but I am giving Harry the benefit of the doubt in believing that he did instruct Bale and Lennon to really stake their positions and not (in essence) fudge about...another interesting thing to see, was how fluid the ball was in moving from defense to attack quickly. Both Modric and Sandro did an excellent job of hitting players quickly with fast, simple passing...I think there's no doubt that when Scotty plays, we gain a warrior but "sometimes" lose impetus as he holds the ball too long...

In fairness Bale looked quite ineffective on the left against Bolton a couple of times, when Boyata seemed to have him figured out. Our last goal also came from Bale driving through the middle and playing the through-ball to Adebayor.

Bale's also scored a good number of goals from central positions this season, and hit the bar recently from central and right-hand-side positions.

In fairness Bale looked quite ineffective on the left against Bolton a couple of times, when Boyata seemed to have him figured out. Our last goal also came from Bale driving through the middle and playing the through-ball to Adebayor.

Bale's also scored a good number of goals from central positions this season, and hit the bar recently from central and right-hand-side positions.

very true, nothing wrong with bale's roaming as long as he does it right and have good pass and movement in there

was watching man united against city and looking at the movemnet of all three wingers that played for united. had to chuckle to see EVERY single wide man for BOTH teams consistently drift infield to create space out wide

here is something else funny. a light trivia for this thread.

which of these teams play wingers that DONT drift infield.....

United
city
chelsea
arsenal
Liverpool
Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Harry Redknapp reacted dismissively on Friday to a report in the Daily Mail that claimed Emirates Marketing Project will make a ?ú40 million bid for Tottenham's Gareth Bale this summer.

Bale has enjoyed a fantastic season for Spurs, carving out a reputation as one of the most lethal left-sided attackers in Europe. His name has been linked to Barcelona and Real Madrid, but it was claimed on Friday that City would head the queue with a ?ú40 million approach.

Roberto Mancini attempted to bring some realism to the situation by predicting it would be hard to remove Bale from Tottenham this summer. And Redknapp was even more bemused by the report, pointing out that Spurs have become easy targets in the media.

"It's something to write about really isn't it?" Redknapp said in Friday's press conference. "I don't know why Tottenham should be seen as the club that's going to sell its best players.

"Are City going to sell [David] Silva? Are they going to sell [Vincent] Kompany? Are United going to sell [Wayne] Rooney? Are Chelsea, Arsenal... is [Robin] Van Persie going to go? I don't see why we should be labelled as the club that's going to sell its best assets.

"We're looking to build a team, not dismantle it. The chairman made a stance last year [with Luka Modric], we're looking to add to the group we've got and improve - not go backwards. If we go backwards we're going nowhere into mid-table mediocrity."

Discussion then switched to who Redknapp might bring in to bolster his Spurs squad this summer, with reports linking them to Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen. Redknapp appeared to hint that transfer targets will not be drawn up until Tottenham know if they will be in the Champions League next season.

"Nowhere really," Redknapp answered when asked what stage he was at with Vertonghen. "He's a player I've looked at, he's a good player, but we're not close to doing anything with anybody. We've not sat down and discussed transfer targets yet.

"We'll get the season out the way and then see where we're going."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/149292.html

Anyone got a problem with those quotes?

very true, nothing wrong with bale's roaming as long as he does it right and have good pass and movement in there

was watching man united against city and looking at the movemnet of all three wingers that played for united. had to chuckle to see EVERY single wide man for BOTH teams consistently drift infield to create space out wide

here is something else funny. a light trivia for this thread.

which of these teams play wingers that DONT drift infield.....

United
city
chelsea
arsenal
Liverpool
Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Absolutely, virtually no top teams currently play with two wingers playing on their 'correct' side. In fact I can't think of one (although I admit I don't watch much football outside of the PL).

Still, I think the issue with Bale and Lennon is that they're not as good at coming inside as they are bombing down their flanks. That's the problem. (Whereas that seems to be the natural game of Young, Nani, Ben Arfa, Nasri, Silva, Sturridge, Mata etc). In fact, with Bale I get annoyed when he a) plays on the right flank, and b) drops into deep central positions. I think he should play on the left, but have the license to a) drive infield from there with the ball, b) make diagonal runs in behind the defence without the ball, and c) drift inside without the ball if there is lots of space there (e.g. if we're counter-attacking). He shouldn't be coming deep at all IMO, and shouldn't be drifitng inside when the opposition is sitting deep and restricting space.

Against realy weak opposition e.g. home to Blackburn, I would still like us to play Bale at left-back and someone like Kranjcar at left-midfield. Or we need to have a right-sided option who naturally drifts more centrally ala Nani and Ben Arfa. Everyone wants Lennon and Bale to stick to their respective flanks, but against teams who are defending deep I don't think that's actually very useful.

Absolutely, virtually no top teams currently play with two wingers playing on their 'correct' side. In fact I can't think of one (although I admit I don't watch much football outside of the PL).

Still, I think the issue with Bale and Lennon is that they're not as good at coming inside as they are bombing down their flanks. That's the problem. (Whereas that seems to be the natural game of Young, Nani, Ben Arfa, Nasri, Silva, Sturridge, Mata etc). In fact, with Bale I get annoyed when he a) plays on the right flank, and b) drops into deep central positions. I think he should play on the left, but have the license to a) drive infield from there with the ball, b) make diagonal runs in behind the defence without the ball, and c) drift inside without the ball if there is lots of space there (e.g. if we're counter-attacking). He shouldn't be coming deep at all IMO, and shouldn't be drifitng inside when the opposition is sitting deep and restricting space.

Against realy weak opposition e.g. home to Blackburn, I would still like us to play Bale at left-back and someone like Kranjcar at left-midfield. Or we need to have a right-sided option who naturally drifts more centrally ala Nani and Ben Arfa. Everyone wants Lennon and Bale to stick to their respective flanks, but against teams who are defending deep I don't think that's actually very useful.

Very much agreed. Everyone seemed to be saying that Harry playing Bale on the right is some weird, maverick style tactical plan that Harry has come up with that no other manager would dare to try because they all know how stupid it is...very strange considering almost every club does something similar at times.

Against teams that are sitting deep, it's not going to be easy for them to beat 2 men and cross to a crowded penalty area, so it's worth them coming inside and trying to find space that way. But people see them coming inside and think that's the reason we are losing. But we may well have been failing to break teams down anyway even with Bale and Lennon on the flanks. Maybe the reason we were losing wasn't because of that at all but for something completely different. Our absolute worst performance of the bad run we had Bale and Lennon playing and we looked very poor.

Agree with all that. He could be as effective as (dare i say) cole/pieres if starting from lb with an intelligent lm.(quite poss kranc/pienaar/modric) Maybe as bale matures and hopefully learns as a player he might become a lethal roamer, but at the moment seems to be doing that for the sake of it or because HR has told him to roam without actually knowing how/when to do it effectively.

One thing everyone knows is, knock it too him on the left with space and just the full back in front of him and the end result is ugly for the full back.

i suppose that is where this all started 'everyone knew', doubled teamed him so he looked for another way. Still turning on the afterburners on the wing 4/5 times a game would yield goals/great chances, for sure.

Harry Redknapp reacted dismissively on Friday to a report in the Daily Mail that claimed Emirates Marketing Project will make a ?ú40 million bid for Tottenham's Gareth Bale this summer.

Bale has enjoyed a fantastic season for Spurs, carving out a reputation as one of the most lethal left-sided attackers in Europe. His name has been linked to Barcelona and Real Madrid, but it was claimed on Friday that City would head the queue with a ?ú40 million approach.

Roberto Mancini attempted to bring some realism to the situation by predicting it would be hard to remove Bale from Tottenham this summer. And Redknapp was even more bemused by the report, pointing out that Spurs have become easy targets in the media.

"It's something to write about really isn't it?" Redknapp said in Friday's press conference. "I don't know why Tottenham should be seen as the club that's going to sell its best players.

"Are City going to sell [David] Silva? Are they going to sell [Vincent] Kompany? Are United going to sell [Wayne] Rooney? Are Chelsea, Arsenal... is [Robin] Van Persie going to go? I don't see why we should be labelled as the club that's going to sell its best assets.

"We're looking to build a team, not dismantle it. The chairman made a stance last year [with Luka Modric], we're looking to add to the group we've got and improve - not go backwards. If we go backwards we're going nowhere into mid-table mediocrity."

Discussion then switched to who Redknapp might bring in to bolster his Spurs squad this summer, with reports linking them to Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen. Redknapp appeared to hint that transfer targets will not be drawn up until Tottenham know if they will be in the Champions League next season.

"Nowhere really," Redknapp answered when asked what stage he was at with Vertonghen. "He's a player I've looked at, he's a good player, but we're not close to doing anything with anybody. We've not sat down and discussed transfer targets yet.

Nope - good robust defence and fighting talk!

Finally a Harry interview I can clap my hands at! Well done Harry.

Well he should have at least sneaked a sarky comment in when he got too arsenal and RVP

Why Did Harry Settle For A Draw?

We were losing so he was about to bring on Defoe.

We then get a penalty and score so he tells Defoe to sit sown

Much later in the match he brings on Parker for VDV

Can someone tell me after watching that match why Harry settled for a draw?

Because that is how it looked to me

Because he is that sort of manager/coach he has no real tactics he just likes to mix things up and hope something comes off.

Also think it is pretty clear that he now has some sort of problem with defoe, i mean at the start of the season it looked like defoe and adebayor were having a decent partnership.

I honestly cannot answer that one. He must have known that City had won? if so it did not matter if we lost or drew as we was still above Saudi Sportswashing Machine. We needed Defoe's long range boots today. If there is one thing Villa are pretty good at is sitting back on a lead and wasting time. They have the most draws in the whole league.

Oh my GHod

Ok I am going to say this once and once only because it seems that some people on here are utterly fudgein clueless.

By bringing on Parker you allowed Modric, Lennon AND BALE further upfield to support Ade. You also allowed one of Kaboul and Gallas more upfield. Not to mention walker.

So HE DID NOT SETTLE FOR A fudgeIN DRAW. He changed a formation to be more attacking WITH ONLY TEN MEN

Disgraceful coaching from Harry. fudging idiot.

Just got found out for what he is.

He can spot a decent player and put his arm round them but that is it. He admitted himself that he thinks most of football is about just getting good players onto the pitch, while that obviously helps if you want to get to THE NEXT fudging LEVEL you need someone better then that.

Drop this fudging clown and quick levy, he did it to jol for less in my opinon.

Oh my GHod

Ok I am going to say this once and once only because it seems that some people on here are utterly fudgein clueless.

By bringing on Parker you allowed Modric, Lennon AND BALE further upfield to support Ade. You also allowed one of Kaboul and Gallas more upfield. Not to mention walker.

So HE DID NOT SETTLE FOR A fudgeIN DRAW. He changed a formation to be more attacking WITH ONLY TEN MEN

Bale did not have his shooting boots on today all his shots were wrong one of those days for him. Modric and lennon are not pure goal scoreres, we needed a goal.

Back