• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
While Mourinho is arguably the best manager around would he really hang around for 5 years? Lets face is he is the right man for every club so why would he come here. It's possible I suppose that he is looking for a different type of challenge to the those he's previously had, but it hasn't been his modus opperandi to date.

When I look at Spurs I don't really see a five year project either, or at least I see us as being halfway there as long as we can manage to hold onto our best players. The next manager will not be faced with the squad building exercise that so many previous managers have faced.

I think you are being a little too pessimistic.

Did SAF or Wenger have a 5 year plan when they first signed? But they are still there. Those two clubs got the right man and have stuck with them, the yardstick being progress and success. How many big bucks signings (for the time) did they make. Rio Ferdinand alone was ?ú28m. Rooney was similar. Berbatov was ?ú31m. They would not have committed the finances if the manager was not to be trusted.

We are a rich club, and I think Levy is hesitant to commit big money unless he is comfortable it is being spent wisely. A big part of that comfort zone is do you trust the man in charge? Would you trust Redknapp with a ?ú25m+ signing? I don't think he has the abilities to deal with them properly. Our current mess is proof-positive.

For us to turn it around from here would require outher teams to do us favours - i.e. out of our hands

If we pull it off I'm sure Arry would take all the credit for himself and tell us how we had it all along and he never doubted the team.

Exactly, and hopefully that will be enough to see him land the england job and as far away from the lane as humanly possible

If we finish 4th, the players, manager and chairman deserve credit.

If we don't, the players, manager and chairman deserve criticism.

If we get 4th, the players, manager and chairman have performed to the minimum standard they should have. No better or worse - they will be praised/criticised accordingly.

Unless we win every single one of our 38 matches, then our finishing league position is down to other teams as well as our own.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You judge a Manager after all 38 games are played. Where ever we finish this season is where we will deserve to finish, and the Manager AND the players will get the credit/disdain from me at that point. Not before.

The final result is one thing, but not the only thing. The story of how you got there is something that can colour the result from positive to negative or vice versa.

The resources at hand, the opportunities taken, the opportunities missed, the decisions made.... It all forms the reason why you finished where you did - and often why you could have done better and didnt (or again, vice versa)

I think you are being a little too pessimistic.

Did SAF or Wenger have a 5 year plan when they first signed? But they are still there. Those two clubs got the right man and have stuck with them, the yardstick being progress and success. How many big bucks signings (for the time) did they make. Rio Ferdinand alone was ?ú28m. Rooney was similar. Berbatov was ?ú31m. They would not have committed the finances if the manager was not to be trusted.

We are a rich club, and I think Levy is hesitant to commit big money unless he is comfortable it is being spent wisely. A big part of that comfort zone is do you trust the man in charge? Would you trust Redknapp with a ?ú25m+ signing? I don't think he has the abilities to deal with them properly. Our current mess is proof-positive.

SAF and Wenger were at very different points in their career to where Mourinho is now when they joined their respective clubs. My point is we are too small for Mourinho.

I think he'll go down as one if not the greatest managers that ever lived but I just don't see his next move being to Spurs. I pray that I am wrong and he becomes the greatest Spurs manager in history but the chances are remote. I don't think it is pessimism, or defeatist to admit this.

Last edited:
So the way forward is:

1. Lose Redknapp, one way or another. Preferably with large compo, but how long will that take, if at all.

2. Hire The Right Man as manager. The most important cog in any football club 'machine' Him being experienced in the CL, experienced in the Premiership, experience of solidly competing and qualifying for the CL and competing in it, a good man manager and tactician, shrewd with it, a good communicator (no non-English speaking) and much experience with dealing with big bucks signings and big egos. All roads point to Mourhino. Levy needs to bust the bank, if necessary, to get this man. That is what we should initially splash the cash on.

3. Moyes? Rodgers? They don't tick many of those boxes.

4. Spend big on the right players. With Mourhino in charge, it would be the right time. Without that, he wouldn't join us anyway. With Mourhino in charge, we would dine at the top table for attracting the best players.

5. Buy before the deadline. It should be wrapped up before the start of the window.

If you want the best for Spurs, and I mean be the best, then anything less won't do it. We are kidding ourselves if we think otherwise. We have been fudging about with lesser staff for a very long time, and it gets us nowhere except the usual crash and burn, like now, and the laughing stock yet again. If CL qualification and solidly competing in it is the aim, you won't do it with Redknapp and Saha.

Before Mourinho was the undisputed best manager in the world he was the manager of Porto (not one of the big leagues).

When he was given the opportunity at Chelsea he showed on a bigger stage exactly what he could do, until he is now in charge of the biggest club on the planet (arguably).

My point is, perhaps we dont need Mourinho, but 'the new Mourinho'.

Spot some talent, given them a chance and (all being well) reap the benefits of that.

Recent candidates popular with sections of this board are AVB, Rodgers and Martinez. Just because they havent "done it" on a grand scale to date doesnt mean they couldnt if given the chance.

Why not go for this more attainable option than the ready made fix?

SAF and Wenger were at very different points in their career to where Mourinho is now when they joined their respective clubs. My point is we are too small for Mourinho.

I really don't agree with that mate. THFC is a world-wide famous name. Just not the continued success to go with this. So cue Jose.....

I think he'll go down as one if not the greatest managers that ever lived but I just don't see his next move being to Spurs. I pray that I am wrong and he becomes the greatest Spurs manager in history but the chances are remote. I don't think it is pessimism, or defeatist to admit this.

I hope you are wrong too.

Over to Mr Levy........

Before Mourinho was the undisputed best manager in the world he was the manager of Porto (not one of the big leagues).

So was AVB, wasn't he?

When he was given the opportunity at Chelsea he showed on a bigger stage exactly what he could do, until he is now in charge of the biggest club on the planet (arguably).

Chelski took a risk on him and it worked. They also took a similar risk on AVB. It didn't work.

Agreed, but who?

Spot some talent, given them a chance and (all being well) reap the benefits of that.

Well, we did that with Ramos and look how far it got us.

Recent candidates popular with sections of this board are AVB, Rodgers and Martinez. Just because they havent "done it" on a grand scale to date doesnt mean they couldnt if given the chance.

Yes, but a RISK.

Why? Because its a risk. And it may take some time for a failed risk to show up. Thus more wasted time and money.

My point is go for the best now. Time to show the colour of our money.

I totally and utterly agree with that, as long as you get the right man in to allow that long-term risk.

Hire Mourhino. Give him 5 years. You know the man is a winner, so you entrust the clubs plying future to him. And big spending on players because you trust him to get the best, and the best out of them. Like the Mancs have done with SAF for 20 years now. But it must be the right man in the first place. SAF proved himself to be that man with them, and at that time he was afforded that luxury. You cannot do that now unless you want more Redknapp/Gross/Graham disasters.

Hire Mourhino. The right man with the right cv.

Fergie's CV wasn't exactly Mourinho. It was more like a Ramos.

I don't think there is a sure thing, and quite often it's about being the right man, at the right club, at the right time.

Fergie also inherited a team that hadn't finished outside of the top four for SEVEN years. First season he had them finishing 11th, taking over when they were low down the league (like Harry did with us, guiding us to 8th). Second season he had them finishing an excellent 2nd. The third season? They finished 11th. The fourth season? They finished 13th!

Patience is a virtue.....

There is every chance that if one of your candidates came in we'd finish 8th to 12th next season, even with the current personnel. It is entirely possible that the same Manager could have us winning the Premiership in six or seven years time. But would Spurs fans be prepared to wait, be patient and potentially take a few steps backwards before we make progress?

There is every chance that if one of your candidates came in we'd finish 8th to 12th next season, even with the current personnel. It is entirely possible that the same Manager could have us winning the Premiership in six or seven years time. But would Spurs fans be prepared to wait, be patient and potentially take a few steps backwards before we make progress?

As long as I could see progress being made, see ideas bedding in etc I would be sold and would be well prepared to wait.

Cant vouch for anyone else but I suspect the answer is no for the majority in reality

Why? Because its a risk. And it may take some time for a failed risk to show up. Thus more wasted time and money.

My point is go for the best now. Time to show the colour of our money.

Any appointment is a risk, even Mourinho. A man who is used to working with unlimited resource compared to his peers could well struggle with 'the colour of our money', because, despite your ideas of our wealth - we just cant compete financially.

So it falls into a risk/reward situation, at which point the low outlay on a young up and comer potentially paying off might trump the huge outlay (and crippling fall out) of spending gazillions on a "right now" manager.

Some risks pay off, some dont. Because Ramos flopped it by no means we should never take that chance again.

More so - the Chairman has nothing to do with tactics, team selection and general inadequate formations

He does if he put the blocker on certain players that the Manager needed, or when certain tactics had to be employed to try and paper over cracks caused by inadequate squad depth due to the demand to lower the wage bill.

All is speculation. The other thing is there is a very fine line between success and failure in the eyes of the fans (narrow minded ones anyway).

Two performances practically identical. One sees Spurs score 3 goals. One sees Spurs miss 3 sitters. The first performance is hailed as a great one, the second has a disaster and tactically inadequate. In reality both performances from a TEAM view are practically identical and the failing to score is NOTHING to do with tactics. If it's the same player fudging up weekly (read Ekotto or Walker) then you can blame the Manager for continuing to pick them. But if it's player that has made hardly any mistakes (Friedel) that makes one and costs the team a point or three? It's hard to blame the Manager.

The final result is one thing, but not the only thing. The story of how you got there is something that can colour the result from positive to negative or vice versa.

The resources at hand, the opportunities taken, the opportunities missed, the decisions made.... It all forms the reason why you finished where you did - and often why you could have done better and didnt (or again, vice versa)

All I know is nothing remains constant. Anyone who thinks a team can keep improving year in, year out or at least maintain a level of performance is an unrealistic idiot and extremely symptomatic of today's "I want all right now!" society.

Cant believe people think that Ramos was ever going to be the next Mourinho. His CV shows himself as being a journeyman manager, similar to our Harry. He spend 1 or 2 years at a aclub then moved on without really ever doing anything. He struck it lucky with Sevilla in that their DoF assembled a decent squad for him

As long as I could see progress being made, see ideas bedding in etc I would be sold and would be well prepared to wait.

Cant vouch for anyone else but I suspect the answer is no for the majority in reality

But unless you are working at the club you can't? Everything else is just public words in the wind. As I said, there is every chance we could go backwards for a few YEARS under a new manager whilst the unseen foundations were laid behind the scenes. How patient would you be if AVB came in and we finished 11th next year, and then 13th the year after for example?

Got it in one.

Too many Spurs fans - like me - have been waiting far too long already. Sick of waiting in fact. So now its time for the fast track route IMHO. Many will agree with me. Some no doubt won't.

Cant believe people think that Ramos was ever going to be the next Mourinho. His CV shows himself as being a journeyman manager, similar to our Harry. He spend 1 or 2 years at a aclub then moved on without really ever doing anything. He struck it lucky with Sevilla in that their DoF assembled a decent squad for him

Really don't like this style of thinking, that something must always be one person's fault. Blame must be apportioned or credit given 100% to one person.

I'm sure Ramos did have help building a good squad. But to say that their success was all down to the DOF and he had nothing to do with it is surely ridiculous. Just like it's not all Harry's fault, or all Harry's good work for our success or failure. Everyone plays a part.

Exactly. AVB would be my choice definitely. Did it with Porto, yes he failed at Chelsea, but has a point to prove and will have learnt from his mistakes. Failure at one club doesn't immediately make him a bad manager, look at Brian Clough with Leeds, sometimes it just doesn't work.

Back