• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Discussion Thread

Re: Transfer Rumours

It's a shame no one remembers when we were racking up the clean sheets then, it was half a season ago though so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Maybe our defenders have just lost all ability to defend in that time, that's the only possible explanation. We best go buy some new ones.

Ahhh the Dawson Vertonghen partnership....those were the days.

He battering rammed this backheel right to de Guzman, the final angle is the best

[video=youtube;Sy0XsoBHKpg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy0XsoBHKpg[/video]

This one wasn't bad either, same combo

[video=youtube;wFgqXerbPMg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFgqXerbPMg[/video]

Do you see any redeeming qualities in him or do you think that he really is as cartoonishly one dimensional as you are making out?

Milo what am i making out? i haven't exaggerated anything or made him out to be anything. I said he's got good heading ability and has a good shot on him but i feel he's one of those battering ram strikers who 9 times out of 10 will blast the shot rather then finesse. I didn't like that about Defoe and i actually think Defoe has better movement (well more mobile at least). I don't think he's in the same league as lukaku in terms of actual ability imo.

Having watched Lukaku a lot more this season I've grown to be quite disappointed. His hold up play is average and with his back to goal his touch is awful. But he is still young, I did say all last season and beginning of this that Lukaku is better than Benteke, but I'm starting to believe it isn't true.

Having watched Lukaku a lot more this season I've grown to be quite disappointed. His hold up play is average and with his back to goal his touch is awful. But he is still young, I did say all last season and beginning of this that Lukaku is better than Benteke, but I'm starting to believe it isn't true.

This may be down to sample size but all of the Belgian posters on another forum I visit all rate Benteke higher currently. There is a 2.5 year age difference though so perhaps Lukaku will usurp him in time.

Up front options in the PL are

Benteke
Lukaku
Bony
Michu
Remy

In order how would you rate them? Is Kane worth keeping? Is he as good as say Connor wickham?

For the record I'm not desperate to get rid of Soldado still. It's not an area I'm panicked by. I'm looking forward to see how these players will fare as a cohesive unit if a manager can get that to happen.

Areas we must strengthen for me is a left back, and either a creative central midfielder ala modric, Carrick. Or a creative attacking midfielder ala Konoplyanka, griezmann

For me what makes Lukaku a fantastic target if we think we can get him is that he's both PL proven and experienced thus ready to perform straight away yet he also has tremendous potential, could become world class one day. That's a rare combination.

Wouldn't mind Michy, Bony, or Benteke either though. Not sold on Remy for us, wouldn't be terrible and if we sell Soldado we could probably do a lot worse.

Up front options in the PL are

Benteke
Lukaku
Bony
Michu
Remy

In order how would you rate them? Is Kane worth keeping? Is he as good as say Connor wickham?

IMO ...in terms of who would suit us

1) Lukaku
2) Remy
3) Benteke

4) Michu
5) Bony

i think Benteke is probably a better player than Remy overall but Remy would suit us more. Either way i would take any of the top 3 and i wouldn't want us to go near the other 2.

I'd like to keep Capoue, think there is a lot more to come from him. He is a good passed and I think can be someone who can bring the ball forward from the back and turn into a good box to box player. Has a good engine.

Milo what am i making out? i haven't exaggerated anything or made him out to be anything. I said he's got good heading ability and has a good shot on him but i feel he's one of those battering ram strikers who 9 times out of 10 will blast the shot rather then finesse. I didn't like that about Defoe and i actually think Defoe has better movement (well more mobile at least). I don't think he's in the same league as lukaku in terms of actual ability imo.

There's no need to be so defensive, I'm not having a go. Your posts just read like you were exaggerating how bad you thought he was.

I think there are areas we need to improve on ahead of the forward line, like in defence.

His goal yesterday when he placed the shot deliberately through the keeper? That had a lot of finesse and composure about it!

His goal yesterday when he placed the shot deliberately through the keeper? That had a lot of finesse and composure about it!

and Defoe had goals which didn't involve him blasting it....Peter crouch used to sometimes perform some of the silkiest skills and control whilst also scoring bicycle kick goals.....Giafranco Zola sometimes scored headed goals etc etc etc etc.

IMO ...in terms of who would suit us

1) Lukaku
2) Remy
3) Benteke

4) Michu
5) Bony

i think Benteke is probably a better player than Remy overall but Remy would suit us more. Either way i would take any of the top 3 and i wouldn't want us to go near the other 2.

In terms of suiting us more, I'm not sue what our style next year might be. Depends on the new gaffer (I hope)

For me, the only major work needed on the squad is in defence.

Upfront Kane looks like he is going to be a good Premiership striker with an eye for goal, so keep him, I think you always need these "grew up with the club" players in and around the team, even if they're not top quality. its what Fergie had in his teams, he always mixed a few Phil Nevilles, Nicky Butts, John O'Sheas and Tom Cleverleys in and amongst the top class players.

Kane can definitely do us a job. I'd say keep him and then see what manager comes in and what style he wants to play, then for me you probably keep Ade and if Soldado can't be redeemed (I think he needs a very particular style of play to thrive), then sell and get an Ade mk 2 and for me forward positions are ok, even if you play two upfront as Shaq Coulhirst can cover.

Midfield we are completely overloaded with loads of players.

Defence just needs butchering on the other hand! We need to be brutal!

and Defoe had goals which didn't involve him blasting it....Peter crouch used to sometimes perform some of the silkiest skills and control whilst also scoring bicycle kick goals.....Giafranco Zola sometimes scored headed goals etc etc etc etc.

Yeah, but look at Drogba, you could probably describe him as a "battering ram" type forward, but he was amazingly effective and he was capable of the odd skilful goal too in and amongst the powerful headers and hard hit shots.

Just because Bony's main strength is his physical play doesn't make him one dimensional. He's no Andy Carroll.

Back