• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Emmanuel Adebayor - Officially gone \o/

Re: Adebayor

Last season one of the massive problems was we had two recognised strikers in Ade and Defoe....and all our goals came from a maruading midfielder in Bale. We have now got in Soldado and Lamela (arguably another marauding midfielder), but in essance we have 4 strikers. All of these guys give us something different, Bobby is a poacher, Ade is a tall target man, JD is quick and nippy with a terrific shot and Lamela seems to be a creative forward that can fashion a goal.

Personally I'd like to see how a partnership with Ade and Soldado would work in a 4-4-2, Andros/Azza whipping them from the right and Erik/Nacer in from the left and Eriksen sat behind the front two with either Paulie or the Beast playing a defensive midfielder role infront of the back four.

I really think the midfield is the strength of our team. It's bad enough that one Dembele, Sandro or Capoue will be on the bench as AVB will play two of them as holders, then you've got 7 players (Lennon, Townsend, Chadli, Holbty, Eriksen, Lamela and Sig) competing for the 3 that will play behind Soldado. We just can't afford to sacrifice another one of those just to incorporate Ade who is just too unrealiable and enigmatic.

Talking the talk is one thing, walking the walk is another. No doubt an on form Ade offers the team something it lacks, height, and if AVB can get the team passing this year now that Bale has gone I think we could see a return of the old Ade. But probably not in the league until he can prove to AVB he is on form.

Europa and cup games are his best options at the moment, just hope he turns up. And with a few players with something to prove we should be a lot more competitive in Europa league games.

Talking the talk is one thing, walking the walk is another. No doubt an on form Ade offers the team something it lacks, height, and if AVB can get the team passing this year now that Bale has gone I think we could see a return of the old Ade. But probably not in the league until he can prove to AVB he is on form.

Europa and cup games are his best options at the moment, just hope he turns up. And with a few players with something to prove we should be a lot more competitive in Europa league games.

Offer him a start against Tromso away in late November, that should answer a few questions ;)

Wow I wish some of you guys were my boss. I could put in subpar performances at work all year and still get the benefit of the doubt :p

Suffice to say I am one of those people who thought he was complete and utter ****e last season and would have been happy to see him leave if we had a third striker to replace him with. However he is still here and more importantly he is probably currently our highest paid player. So as we did not sell him I think it would be foolhardy to have him in the squad earning north of £80k a week and not utilise him. So yes, I expect to see him in a Spurs shirt sometime this season, and sooner rather than later.

All players have good seasons and bad. Ade's first with us was good, his second bad. Maybe, just maybe he's due another really good one. So let's just give him the chance shall we? If he flops again then for sure, get rid come January, but if he comes good again, well,

WHAHEY!!!

I think Ade has been given a very unfair ride.

He was brilliant in his first season with us and was on more than one occasion 'unplayable' Do you remember how much we feared playing against Emirates Marketing Project without him as he was on loan and therefore unavailable?

Last season it took all Summer for him to sign permanently which meant that he had no pre-season whatsoever and by the time he joined us in late August he was not only 6 weeks behind the rest of the squad but also had a new Manager playing a different system and with different tactics.

I don't think the protracted negotiations were down to Ade's wage demands - we all know Levy will haggle over a penny.

Then Defoe hit the ground running which meant Ade could only get a couple of sub appearances. From memory he then picked up an injury (as a result of playing without a proper pre-season) and only returned against Arsenal where he was fantastic for 17 minutes before his moment of madness which resulted in a 3 game suspension and during the time Defoe scored goals.

After Christmas he went to the African Cup of Nations and by the time he returned he couldnt get a run of games until the end of the season when he started to look decent again scoring goals in March, April and May.

Obvioulsy he's had a similar Summer for personal reasons and will need time to bed back into the team and squad. I really dont buy the 'he doesn't care' tripe that is lazily banded around. The players seem to like him - if he wasnt putting his weight in they wouldn't respond to him at all and thats never been the case.

Hard to know what impact he can make as 3rd choice but there are far worse players we could have (and have had) who have been 1st or second choice over the years!

I think Ade has been given a very unfair ride.

He was brilliant in his first season with us and was on more than one occasion 'unplayable' Do you remember how much we feared playing against Emirates Marketing Project without him as he was on loan and therefore unavailable?

Last season it took all Summer for him to sign permanently which meant that he had no pre-season whatsoever and by the time he joined us in late August he was not only 6 weeks behind the rest of the squad but also had a new Manager playing a different system and with different tactics.

I don't think the protracted negotiations were down to Ade's wage demands - we all know Levy will haggle over a penny.

Then Defoe hit the ground running which meant Ade could only get a couple of sub appearances. From memory he then picked up an injury (as a result of playing without a proper pre-season) and only returned against Arsenal where he was fantastic for 17 minutes before his moment of madness which resulted in a 3 game suspension and during the time Defoe scored goals.

After Christmas he went to the African Cup of Nations and by the time he returned he couldnt get a run of games until the end of the season when he started to look decent again scoring goals in March, April and May.

Obvioulsy he's had a similar Summer for personal reasons and will need time to bed back into the team and squad. I really dont buy the 'he doesn't care' tripe that is lazily banded around. The players seem to like him - if he wasnt putting his weight in they wouldn't respond to him at all and thats never been the case.

Hard to know what impact he can make as 3rd choice but there are far worse players we could have (and have had) who have been 1st or second choice over the years!
You kinda said everything I've been thinking there, thank you.

Suffice to say I am one of those people who thought he was complete and utter ****e last season and would have been happy to see him leave if we had a third striker to replace him with. However he is still here and more importantly he is probably currently our highest paid player. So as we did not sell him I think it would be foolhardy to have him in the squad earning north of £80k a week and not utilise him. So yes, I expect to see him in a Spurs shirt sometime this season, and sooner rather than later.

Don't get me wrong, he could turn out to be a vital squad player, especially in the cups. I just don't want him in the starting lineup in the league and in big cup games.
I defintely don't wanna see us playing 4-4-2 and sacrificing a midfielder for him. We've seen him have one good season for us, but even then he's still not the finished article, hence why we splashed out so much on Soldado.

Wanted us to sell Adebayor earlier. But considering our lack of goals so far, don't mind having him around. Maybe he will work harder to win back his place. He has no other choice now since no one want to buy him.

Quality player when in form.. I know it's been a while, but he ended last season well and I still maintain that he and Soldado could be an excellent strike duo against weaker opposition..

true that he is a good player but these unfortunate turn of events - injuries, family and national football team issues all in the same year - hope its past him and he is fully focused on the season ahead. don't think he'll feature that much though given that we have a wealth of talent in the midifeld all waiting to be played.

Well we're stuck with him for for the foreseeable future so we really need to try to use him wisely in some of the cup matches. And if he keeps up or improves on his end of season form then Robert's your father's brother. We'll have the player we though we bought back and I'll happy with that.

All players have good seasons and bad. Ade's first with us was good, his second bad. Maybe, just maybe he's due another really good one. So let's just give him the chance shall we? If he flops again then for sure, get rid come January, but if he comes good again, well,

No one is ever due anything. This is like the gambler's fallacy, where the gambler will think "I've lost the past 10 but I'm bound to win this next one". Maybe this is Benzema's mentality when playing for France...
Whether he's motivated and puts the work in will determine future success. I do agree that we should give him a chance and if he shows promise, I'm sure that the support will build like a tidal wave. We really could use the firepower up front.

Have I missed something? what has happened (other than a poor season last year) that makes the majority not want to see him play for us again?

Have I missed something? what has happened (other than a poor season last year) that makes the majority not want to see him play for us again?

This, a fit and motivated Adebayor is a quality forward. Anyone that thinks we've 'moved on' or that he's not good enough is making a mistake IMHO. Luckily though, those folk don't get to select the team.

Back