• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dominic Solanke

I would always tend to mostly ignore friendly games when assessing something like that. The 'men' he is playing against would typically be playing with very little physicality in friendly games.
Depends on the team and the country
I don’t think you get playing teams who are mid season in Asia

The law of averages suggest we will succeed with a big money transfer at some point. Hopefully now!

Im not super impressed with this possible signing. But I will say this, we need a player up front. This is the market price wise for someone who got a fair few goals.

Ange has gone on about attitude and wanting to play for us so I am assuming he has ticked all these boxes. he is moving on and up in his career. and if his link up play works for our system its not all about goals output. We need to get more from our Wide forwards.

So not jumping up and down. But it could really work in our team then I am all for it.

Guess we will see, not convinced at all.

I don't see how he's worth anywhere near the price paid after one good PL season.

Hope he proves all us doubters wrong

I don't get how you don't rate Richarlison but then you rate Solanke. A player I would like to see at Spurs is Mateta as I think there is a player in there but he is 27 and last season may have been an anomaly.

I did say I’m in the undecided camp when it comes to Solanke so I’m a bit puzzled as to how you’ve interpreted that as I rate him 😊 I’m neither thrilled nor upset that we’re signing him.

I feel like you're problem with Richy is potentially more of a problem with the system - Ange wants a striker who is active in the box finishing cutbacks and crosses, most of our goals are going to be tap ins or headers. With inverted FBs there's no space for Son to cut in and bang them in and it's unlikely Udogie / Porro are going to do that on their weaker foot and the 9 is meant to be finding space / hassling defenders not scoring worldies out of nowhere.

Whoever we bring in is going to be assigned this role unless Ange completely changes his approach, which is why Solanke fits the bill. Even if he doesn't score, the defenders know they have been in a game as he is physical and one of the best in terms of pressing - I think this is more important to the manager than say the occasional Zlatan-esque wondergoal.

My point would be to perhaps be open about changing your opinion based on new developments and developing a further understanding of what we're trying to do. I bet if you stated your case to Ange himself ie "he only scores tap ins" he wouldn't see the problem with that, goals count as goals and outside of that there's a lot that a player does in a set up like we have. If you're set on your initial views on a player you're just looking to confirm your bias. Same with Werner, he isn't going to score sumptuous finishes after beating 4 players but he repeatedly beats players and puts in balls that are difficult to deal with, which is kind of our bread and butter. If you or whoever always reckoned he's toss because of some Paddy power banter then okay, whatever, but probably worth looking at how his skillset fits the system. The manager hasn't brought him in as some kind of joke or attempt to wind up the supporters.

I just prefer strikers who create a little more than Richarlison does. It may be that he Ange’s system reasonably well but you can’t rely on a system solely unless you’re peak Barcelona from 2008-2015. You need a plan B and I don’t think Richarlison is the type of player to create, he’s more of a battering ram. I’m not even against keeping him as an option, just not to start. I also think people have short memories, he was pretty woeful in front of goal in the first couple of months of last season. I’m perfectly capable of changing my mind about a player, I wasn’t a big fan of Danny Rose until Poch got hold of him, he became one of my favourite players of that era.

The law of averages suggest we will succeed with a big money transfer at some point. Hopefully now!
We've not signed a decent CF since Berbatov 18 years ago. Law of averages really leaning in our favour with this one then

I just prefer strikers who create a little more than Richarlison does. It may be that he Ange’s system reasonably well but you can’t rely on a system solely unless you’re peak Barcelona from 2008-2015. You need a plan B and I don’t think Richarlison is the type of player to create, he’s more of a battering ram. I’m not even against keeping him as an option, just not to start. I also think people have short memories, he was pretty woeful in front of goal in the first couple of months of last season. I’m perfectly capable of changing my mind about a player, I wasn’t a big fan of Danny Rose until Poch got hold of him, he became one of my favourite players of that era.
Anges system is about chance creation
I know we have have had this discussion loads but what you want you aint getting with this manager
And I agree a richy was poor in front of goal then it turned out he was injured. Had the op and he was scoring every game
Then he got injured again and that’s the worry for me

I hope he starts well, scores, impresses and gets the fans behind him and supporting him.
He's not the big fancy name we all wanted, but he can do a job and hopefully will have a good start which builds his confidence.
It's a big step up.

Anges system is about chance creation
I know we have have had this discussion loads but what you want you aint getting with this manager
And I agree a richy was poor in front of goal then it turned out he was injured. Had the op and he was scoring every game
Then he got injured again and that’s the worry for me

I think “every game is a stretch”. He was on a hot streak but you’re acting like he was scoring every game like Messi. As @Bishop alluded to, Ange hasn’t ever managed world class players so whilst I’m still all in on Ange, his ability to discern a top player from an average-ok player is still very much open to debate. Hence being interested in players like Connor Gallagher.

I think “every game is a stretch”. He was on a hot streak but you’re acting like he was scoring every game like Messi. As @Bishop alluded to, Ange hasn’t ever managed world class players so whilst I’m still all in on Ange, his ability to discern a top player from an average-ok player is still very much open to debate. Hence being interested in players like Connor Gallagher.
I'll be honest with you all .. I think our naive defence play will be our downfall this season ... post man pat needs to address this ASAP.

He scored 11 in 12 didnt he before getting injured?
And your judging Ange on the basis of a pusher we might sign? That’s odd
I’d say his ability to judge a player is far greater than the average fan on a forum. It’s his living and he has managed to get to the very top at it despite starting in a country where the game is so far behind many other sports

Back