• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dempsey

Dempsey is a decent pro and he certainly has chipped in with some important goals but he is not top class, and to be playing CL footie regularly every player needs to be of a certain quality. He gives his all but sometimes that is just not enough, you need a bit of magic in the boots too. Levy and AVB need to decide the ambition of the club and sign players to meet that ambition. If they are happy enough to tread water around the top six for a few years while the stadium is built then fine, Dempsey is that level of player. If you want to break into the cartel at the top of the league then we probably need better than Dempsey.

I'd like him here next year, especially if we get CL.

We'll need a big squad next year, a very strong one, we know that. Dempsey is perfect for that, he works hard and chips in with important goals. He doesn't have to start every game but I have no doubt he is the sort to work hard to force himself into the team.

He has scored 10 goals this season and has 8 assists, not bad for a player some say is brick.

I wouldn't say he was brick, but sometimes you wonder if he is even on the pitch. He can be completely anonymous. He is okay, but like Dembele and Siggurdson, not a world beater.

I wouldn't say he was brick, but sometimes you wonder if he is even on the pitch. He can be completely anonymous. He is okay, but like Dembele and Sigurdsson, not a world beater.

I agree he is definitely not a world beater:lol: but he is not a bad player like so many seem to think.

I don't think a player can score 20+ goals a season while being brick.

OTOH, I do think that he doesn't fit us or other top 6 teams as a player, because most of his goals come from good positioning more than anything else - his touch and ball control aren't good enough to thrive in the limited space that the opposition gives us. He can't lead the line because he can't play with his back to goal, but he's not creative or visionary or possession-hungry enough to play behind the striker as an AM. The contrast in class between him and VdV is pretty shocking, and he doesn't consistently work hard enough to make up for that.

If we were made up of clever tikitaka midgets then we might be able to afford a rough finisher in the line-up, but we're already overstacked on the 'force and graft' front. What we need is actual technical class, brains, and ability on the ball.

He's not spectacular but he is efficient. Seems to score nothing but important goals.

Scored the winning goal for Spurs at Old Trafford, our first away win in there in what, 20 years? Huge result at the time. Then scores the injury time equalizer against United at WHL to keep CL hopes buoyant. Scores two important goals to give us hope at Basel. Scores key goals regularly for the US national side. Jets back from Honduras, willing and ready to go on short rest. He's got character.

But he's a Yank and there's a clear sense of chauvinism in Britain that Yanks can't play. It's guys like Dempsey, with their great attitude and fearlessness in big games that will put the World Cup in America's hands long, long before England ever get past a WC quarter final.

I respect Dempsey. All these tinkleant critics should stop slagging him off and let him get on with his job.

He's not spectacular but he is efficient. Seems to score nothing but important goals.

Scored the winning goal for Spurs at Old Trafford, our first away win in there in what, 20 years? Huge result at the time. Then scores the injury time equalizer against United at WHL to keep CL hopes buoyant. Scores two important goals to give us hope at Basel. Scores key goals regularly for the US national side. Jets back from Honduras, willing and ready to go on short rest. He's got character.

But he's a Yank and there's a clear sense of chauvinism in Britain that Yanks can't play. It's guys like Dempsey, with their great attitude and fearlessness in big games that will put the World Cup in America's hands long, long before England ever get past a WC quarter final.

I respect Dempsey. All these tinkleant critics should stop slagging him off and let him get on with his job.

wow bit of a chip on the shoulder there mate, do not think anyone has it in for the yanks, if football was the number 1 sport out there they would have won it already.

Dempsey aint bad but we need someone who can unlock a game, also feel berbs would have been better one to bring back because he can hold the ball up better then dempsey and that is something we need.

Still don't think AVB (or Dempsey possibly for that matter!) has figured out his best role yet. Personally, I would rather see him playing on the flanks than in the hole behind the striker.

PS - IMO he's worth keeping around just for the shirt sales and increased exposure in the US.

he scores important goals and not only against weak opposition. pretty good player, but underoptimized in AVB's setup.

Still don't think AVB (or Dempsey possibly for that matter!) has figured out his best role yet. Personally, I would rather see him playing on the flanks than in the hole behind the striker.

PS - IMO he's worth keeping around just for the shirt sales and increased exposure in the US.

I really doubt his best position is on the right flank. He seems at his best from the left or in a more central attacking role just behind a striker.

It's to his credit that even though the right flank isn't his best position he just gets on with his job and works his socks off doing the best he can out there.

The guy has 10 goals and 7 assists and most of the goals are important ones

The one commen about VDV than stood out for me was Fergies comment that he scores important goals e.g he doesn't score the 4th in a 4 nil win like Walcott for instance

I person all don think his all round play is great but you can't argue with his results

I guess if you compare him with our real rivals he is a lot better than Gervinho, and has scored more than Hazard, Oscar, Moses at Chelsea. He is better than anyone Liverpoo has in backup and has again significantly better results then the likes of Wellbeck or even Hernandez

I guess ultimately it he lacks qualities we would like to see but he Leary brings something. Just wish his overall footballing ability w as higher

I really doubt his best position is on the right flank. He seems at his best from the left or in a more central attacking role just behind a striker.

It's to his credit that even though the right flank isn't his best position he just gets on with his job and works his socks off doing the best he can out there.

On the flank he'd be better off in a 4-3-3. We just need that creative midfield general passing genius guy.

On the flank he'd be better off in a 4-3-3. We just need that creative midfield general passing genius guy.

Possibly, I just think that if a wide player plays on the side that leaves him on his best foot going down the outside (on the right for a right footed player) he should have the pace to actually get round the outside once in a while.

It's a lot easier cutting inside from the left onto a stronger right foot than to cut inside from the right onto a stronger right foot imo. I think players get neutralized just a little too easily when playing on their "traditional side", but without pace to get around the outside.

Possibly, I just think that if a wide player plays on the side that leaves him on his best foot going down the outside (on the right for a right footed player) he should have the pace to actually get round the outside once in a while.

It's a lot easier cutting inside from the left onto a stronger right foot than to cut inside from the right onto a stronger right foot imo. I think players get neutralized just a little too easily when playing on their "traditional side", but without pace to get around the outside.

I'm thinking a narrow 4-3-3 with Dempsey left.

Using our current squad:

-- Dempsey Ade Bale
-- Dembele Sandro Holtby
Rose Vertonghen Kaboul Walker
---------- Lloris

Subs: Friedel, Naughton, Caulker, Sig, Carroll, Lennon, Defoe

I'm thinking a narrow 4-3-3 with Dempsey left.

Using our current squad:

-- Dempsey Ade Bale
-- Dembele Sandro Holtby
Rose Vertonghen Kaboul Walker
---------- Lloris

Subs: Friedel, Naughton, Caulker, Sig, Carroll, Lennon, Defoe

Oh, I have no problems with Dempsey on the left in a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 or even a 4-4-x

Strange if true, especially as he's 30... we bought him off the back of one or two prolific seasons, where he played on the left and excelled at getting into goalscoring positions. Don't see why there should be any confusion as to where we play him, or whether we should consider playing him in the middle, when that is Holtby, Siggy and (arguably) Bale's best position.

Back