• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

Yeah. Needs to be more cynical and controlled when he does it... But that will come with more experience.
Sad reading so many on here effectively condoning a more cynical approach. Whether under the nose of the referee or behind his back, kicking a man when he's down is not just ugly, it's also cowardly. The last thing I'd want to see is us turning into a Leeds of the 1970s.

Sad reading so many on here effectively condoning a more cynical approach. Whether under the nose of the referee or behind his back, kicking a man when he's down is not just ugly, it's also cowardly. The last thing I'd want to see is us turning into a Leeds of the 1970s.

This made my day! I think we have fair way to go before Dele turns into Norman Hunter!

It's just youthful petulance - nothing that Poch will not stamp on if/when 'the boy' gets above himself.

Last edited:
The thing to remember here is that players are dirty constantly on the pitch. We just don't see all of it. I don't mind it as long as he doesn't get sent off.

Pochettino said: "He's a little bit naughty but it's good. I like it. I was like that. I was naughty like him. I was sent off a lot in my career. At Espanyol, in 10 years or 11 years, I had 13 or 14 red cards. It was a record. He played the whole second half with a yellow card. He's clever. like me. Always my first action was a yellow card, and then I played better, I always played better with a yellow card than without a yellow card."

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...e-me-says-tottenham-boss-mauricio-pochettino?
This reply was spot on:

Richard Adrooster5 hours ago
Pochettino and the young Spurs side have deservedly won a lot of respect with the football public in general this season. I'm not sure that their cause is helped however by encouraging the team to be petulant, let alone condoning them racking up the cards for kicking the opposition.

Personally, while the misty-eyed notions of honour and sportsmanship are cute, I couldn't really care less about how we win, so long as we're winning.

Yes, I would love to see us win 'the right way', but we have been far too soft for far too long and I personally welcome this bite.

In terms of 'morals in football', I place a much higher value on playing style than sportsmanship. If we were playing dour football and cheating our way to victory it might be a bit more problematic, but provided we are playing good football and winning, I am not bothered about these little incidents.

They probably help win the mental battle as well (see: Costa).

Personally, while the misty-eyed notions of honour and sportsmanship are cute, I couldn't really care less about how we win, so long as we're winning.

Yes, I would love to see us win 'the right way', but we have been far too soft for far too long and I personally welcome this bite.

In terms of 'morals in football', I place a much higher value on playing style than sportsmanship. If we were playing dour football and cheating our way to victory it might be a bit more problematic, but provided we are playing good football and winning, I am not bothered about these little incidents.

They probably help win the mental battle as well (see: Costa).
It really does not need to be a choice between cynicism on the one hand and sportsmanship on the other. I like the way we play at the moment, in their faces, competing fiercely for the ball, but thankfully by and large there's an absence of cynicism. I'm not so naive as to believe it doesn't play a part, but to advocate cynicism as a strategy for winning games, no thanks.

It really does not need to be a choice between cynicism on the one hand and sportsmanship on the other. I like the way we play at the moment, in their faces, competing fiercely for the ball, but thankfully by and large there's an absence of cynicism. I'm not so naive as to believe it doesn't play a part, but to advocate cynicism as a strategy for winning games, no thanks.
Yeah that's a fair POV, and one I largely subscribe to.

I have just grown up watching numerous successful teams incorporating 'unsportsmanlike behaviour' into a winning strategy with green eyes, and am content for us to play a little dirty to win games. (I have been a fan since the late-90s and thus have seen basically zero Spurs success, which probably fuels this viewpoint).

As you said though, when it becomes a strategy for winning in itself, it becomes a bit deplorable.

Dele Alli (19) has scored as many goals as Steven Gerrard , Frank Lampard and Paul Scholes scored in total before the age of 20.
And there are still 8 games left this season before he turns 20

I do think a bit too much is being of this.

He was stupid to do it in a scenario that was obvious - he probably thought it was disguised, so that is where his naivety is evident.

Through the course of a game lots of niggly little things happen - toes being stood on, knees and elbows into muscles etc
These are just part of a physical game.

I suspect Alli was getting a bit back for treatment he has received.

I don't want to see the likes of John Terry or other scumbag actions, but a bit of niggle is fine. Alli was on the line for me - maybe slightly over

I do think a bit too much is being of this.

He was stupid to do it in a scenario that was obvious - he probably thought it was disguised, so that is where his naivety is evident.

Through the course of a game lots of niggly little things happen - toes being stood on, knees and elbows into muscles etc
These are just part of a physical game.

I suspect Alli was getting a bit back for treatment he has received.

I don't want to see the likes of John Terry or other scumbag actions, but a bit of niggle is fine. Alli was on the line for me - maybe slightly over

This is why I seldom want youngsters becoming regulars for us. Their lack of inexperience and maturity to handle when being provoked will cost us games. Just imagine if Alli was shown the red card against Fiorentina, we could have lost the game. Hope Pochettino and the experienced players will teach Alli a thing or two.

Why are visions of Ronaldo winking at a Portuguese team-mate after getting Rooney sent off suddenly appearing in my mind?

The main difference being that Alli is more likely to be the winker if he pays for England in Euro 2016.

Great display from him today. Unlucky not to get a goal.

He faded towards the end, but he was industrious and probably the best player on the pitch.

Great display from him today. Unlucky not to get a goal.

He faded towards the end, but he was industrious and probably the best player on the pitch.

Certainly quality wise he was

What happened with him and Cabaye again? Everyone stood up where I was so I missed it

Ah
Yeah I was in row 10 behind that goal so it was kinda I front of me but everyone stood up and I was trying to get my nephew up

Back