• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

- It's not the same, because RA & Mansour are active owners (they could chose not to be), I'll be fudging surprised if Lewis get's more than a quarterly briefing document with a few KPIs on Spurs.
- Tottenham's commercial growth over the last 15 years has exceeded every club bar United from a percentage perspective, so yeah, he's actually very good at that.

That's not the point, though. Jonathan Liew even describes him as an 'absentee owner'.

But he *is* the owner, An assertion which you took exception to. He's not wrong about that.

Re: Commercial income, see here -

If I were describing a commercial genius, it would probably be Ed Woodward or John Henry. Not necessarily Daniel Levy, although he's done a better job than Kroenke - but his late arrival to the sleeve sponsorship game and his bungling of naming rights are highlights of where he's gone wrong, too.

Really?

- Lampard had what a season in the Championship and was an ex player
- Ole fudged up at Cardiff, had manged Molde and was an ex player

As a starter

Martinez and Potter have actually made a season in the PL
Martinez has been a manger for 14 years, with 3 PL clubs & Belgium

Truth is the only reason OGS & Lampard even had their CV looked at was the "ex-player" qualification

Not saying I want either but clearly they would be a step up from a Lampard/Ole type appointment (same as Arteta)

Ole has managed in the PL. Ole won more at Molde than Martinez and Potter managed at Wigan and..Ostersunds, respectively.

They are not steps up, even accounting for the 'ex-player' aspect.

Ole has managed in the PL. Ole won more at Molde than Martinez and Potter managed at Wigan and..Ostersunds, respectively.

They are not steps up, even accounting for the 'ex-player' aspect.

Ole lasted 9 months in the PL and managed to get Cardiff relegated, so Potter already has him beat
Martinez has 14 years of managerial experience, 3 PL clubs and won the FA cup with Wigan, surely you are not comparing that to Ole's whatever at Molde?

Ole, Lampard, Arteta are ex player appointments with zero credentials for the clubs they got ..

Again, I'm not a fan of either Potter or Martinez but they are clearly more qualified.

Ole lasted 9 months in the PL and managed to get Cardiff relegated, so Potter already has him beat
Martinez has 14 years of managerial experience, 3 PL clubs and won the FA cup with Wigan, surely you are not comparing that to Ole's whatever at Molde?

Ole, Lampard, Arteta are ex player appointments with zero credentials for the clubs they got ..

Again, I'm not a fan of either Potter or Martinez but they are clearly more qualified.
If we end up going from Pochettino to Martinez within two years then I think even you would have to seriously question the decisions made by the man at the top!

Not commercial - look at that graph again, and note where the majority of income comes from. 1) CL football (which Poch is responsible for), 2) TV revenue growth (which Levy has nothing to do with), 3) matchday revenue increase from being at Wembley (which was a consequence of knocking WHL down).

I linked the commercial income graph up above. While our growth from the lowest base of the top six has been substantial, as a rate of growth, it's matched by Liverpool and United, and in absolute terms is still lower than those two plus Chelsea plus City.

Great? No. Bad? No. Genius-like? Defo no, unless 'better than Kroenke' counts as being a genius.

If we end up going from Pochettino to Martinez within two years then I think even you would have to seriously question the decisions made by the man at the top!

I'd agree, but that wasn't the argument

- it was supporters cheering bricky journalist for crying down managers (who I don't want) but are clearly more qualified than the amateurs that other top clubs hired but they don't have the balls to call them out on.

What is spot on mate?

- Joe Lewis is the owner? this is the type of brick that supporters say, a reporter should know better, Lewis owns a company that owns a company that owns ENIC that owns Spurs (and I may have missed out one), Lewis is not "the owner" in any normal measure.
- The best he can do to highlight how bad we are is to mention our Under 23's lost to City, come on mate, I'm quite sure you and twenty others on this board (including me) could do better re things wrong at club.
- ESL, again to push that in seems a fudging stretch
- Covid has affected Spurs? no brick, is that different from any other club at all? (notice Inter in sell mode despite winning their league and being in CL)
- Let's be clear ETH, Potter or Martinez will ALL be better appointments than United made with OGS, Chelsea with Lampard, Scum with Arteta but the media won't say that, they will play the small club brick and Spurs fans will lap it up

And again, Levy knows nothing about football? come on, he may not be a football tactician but I'm pretty fudging sure he knows more about football than some fudging history grad who never played any sport at any real level or been involved with any sporting body but is writing click bait articles.

Let me write the article for him

- We have taken too long to hire replacement manager (his only valid point)
- The media "updates" (e.g. Conte/Poch is close) were a fudge up
- The DoF move should have been done earlier if that was the plan
- Hitchens should be focused on selling/releasing the deadwood now
- The naming rights needs to be sorted to allow funds for new manager

See legitimate criticisms, not one truth plus the old tired narratives, flimflam that's just made up and huge stretches
What bozo is pointing to the ESL as a reason our club is badly run? By definition, the other 5 PL clubs (the ones that beat us to trophies) that were in it, must be badly run too?

And I'm good with your view re ambition/timing

People like Liew can write a real article, potshots at under 23s, Lamela, Levy's "football knowledge" are all brick/petty statements that completely negate any real view.

We know nothing re Conte not working out, what I would say is 3 years ago, Conte wouldn't have taken the call (so what does that say?), and he couldn't make up his mind in the article if getting Conte or not getting Conte was the problem.

The problem with the article is his points are anecdotal (being kind)

- Do I agree that swapping from Jol -> Ramos -> Harry -> AVB -> Poch -> Jose seems to be "lurching" with no real plan? = seems so
- Big problem? = that timeline is a 16 year almost constant improvement in club results/revenue/profile = so why isn't it working?
- I could say Chelsea's strategy is crazy (what manager haven't they hired?) but they get results with it = so you (and as reporter with any kind of training should know) need to temper it

Chelsea invest money. So they can afford to lurch to the next best available manager, buy him the player he tells them he needs and win. We don't have that luxury. We need to build a culture that can be our competitive advantage against more monied clubs.

I really think Poch will be looked back in in a few years in the light he deserves. I appreciate you don't think he deserves some of the praise he gets, or don't think the club should have backed him. But I think his achievements were ridiculous. I think just as there not really an example of a manager turning around that decline, I also don't see another example of one who delivered such consistent over-performance as Poch did, off the back of so few resources. When the issue was clearly he hadn't had any signings for 18 months, then got 3, two of whom were injured. I completely agree with @Finney Is Back here. 3 months of declining performance (dealing with circumstances way out of his control for the previous 2 years) and he was gone. He earnt way more than that. So there haven't been many examples of it? So what? To Dare is To do! There also aren't many more managers like him, crazy enough to turn down Real Madrid to stay at Spurs. He really could have been our SAF.

I think for so long we needed to figure out how we could compete against more money, and he was the way. Now, it seems like Levy is stepping back again from the football side, which is good. Maybe this will finally be the time we have a DOF figure in post for long enough to build something over the long term that helps us compete. There's been a swing from manager to manager but also a swing from how important a DOF seems to be, versus Levy deciding to do it. Pleat, Arnesen, Commoli, Levy, Baldini, Sherwood, Levy with a bit of Mitchell and Hitchen. Now Paratici.

I actually sympathise with Levy a bit here. Arnesen not his fault. Commoli I guess paid for his job with the Ramos recommendation. Baldini - was he really just a deals guy rather than a real DOF? Then Sherwood, then Levy really taking back the reigns once we had Poch, and giving him more control. I understand why those decisions were made. But we really need to decide now - are we going to genuinely trust a DOF? Are we going to allow them to build something over the long term? If so, I think we could have a decent chance. But Levy himself absolutely needed to get out of the way. And 'time will tell' whether we needed to waste 2 years getting to this point, rather than just trusting Poch more. Because clearly Paratici wasn't the plan when appointing Jose. Which means it was a royal balls up.

I honestly think when Levy does his memoirs, he'll admit sacking Poch was a mistake, and his decision to go with Paratici now is an admission that the last 2 years stemmed from that mistake. He is effectively paying the price for his poor decisions in the same way Commoli did, and getting out of the way.

Chelsea invest money. So they can afford to lurch to the next best available manager, buy him the player he tells them he needs and win. We don't have that luxury. We need to build a culture that can be our competitive advantage against more monied clubs.

I really think Poch will be looked back in in a few years in the light he deserves. I appreciate you don't think he deserves some of the praise he gets, or don't think the club should have backed him. But I think his achievements were ridiculous. I think just as there not really an example of a manager turning around that decline, I also don't see another example of one who delivered such consistent over-performance as Poch did, off the back of so few resources. When the issue was clearly he hadn't had any signings for 18 months, then got 3, two of whom were injured. I completely agree with @Finney Is Back here. 3 months of declining performance (dealing with circumstances way out of his control for the previous 2 years) and he was gone. He earnt way more than that. So there haven't been many examples of it? So what? To Dare is To do! There also aren't many more managers like him, crazy enough to turn down Real Madrid to stay at Spurs. He really could have been our SAF.

I think for so long we needed to figure out how we could compete against more money, and he was the way. Now, it seems like Levy is stepping back again from the football side, which is good. Maybe this will finally be the time we have a DOF figure in post for long enough to build something over the long term that helps us compete. There's been a swing from manager to manager but also a swing from how important a DOF seems to be, versus Levy deciding to do it. Pleat, Arnesen, Commoli, Levy, Baldini, Sherwood, Levy with a bit of Mitchell and Hitchen. Now Paratici.

I actually sympathise with Levy a bit here. Arnesen not his fault. Commoli I guess paid for his job with the Ramos recommendation. Baldini - was he really just a deals guy rather than a real DOF? Then Sherwood, then Levy really taking back the reigns once we had Poch, and giving him more control. I understand why those decisions were made. But we really need to decide now - are we going to genuinely trust a DOF? Are we going to allow them to build something over the long term? If so, I think we could have a decent chance. But Levy himself absolutely needed to get out of the way. And 'time will tell' whether we needed to waste 2 years getting to this point, rather than just trusting Poch more. Because clearly Paratici wasn't the plan when appointing Jose. Which means it was a royal balls up.

I honestly think when Levy does his memoirs, he'll admit sacking Poch was a mistake, and his decision to go with Paratici now is an admission that the last 2 years stemmed from that mistake. He is effectively paying the price for his poor decisions in the same way Commoli did, and getting out of the way.

Sorry when did he turn down real madrid?

Sorry when did he turn down real madrid?

I'm not going to get into a debate about this, because no one will ever be able to show you a quote from Perez saying they wanted him, or Poch declining the approach. It will also take an acceptance that clubs use PR and media contacts to drive their agendas and apply pressure in negotiations.

In 2018, the job was Poch's if he wanted it. He didn't go for it. He very easily could have. The Madrid machine ramped up the pressure for a few days, and then it died as quickly as it began when Poch made it clear he wasn't going.

I'm not going to get into a debate about this, because no one will ever be able to show you a quote from Perez saying they wanted him, or Poch declining the approach. It will also take an acceptance that clubs use PR and media contacts to drive their agendas and apply pressure in negotiations.

In 2018, the job was Poch's if he wanted it. He didn't go for it. He very easily could have. The Madrid machine ramped up the pressure for a few days, and then it died as quickly as it began when Poch made it clear he wasn't going.

I'm pretty sure poch has said that he turned down real Madrid to build something at spurs. Saying that it was hard to turn down real Madrid.

I would say it was a year of declining performances. After we beat Utd second Trafford away. Next game was Watford and we were shocking and never looked the same again.

Aiden Mulally head of Business Development at Tottenham...

Yes, it's a multi use stadium, with NFL being one of the main uses. How the fudge does this equate to ENIC buying Tottenham only as a means to an end to get an NFL franchise??

That's a bit of a disingenuous take. Ole took over a Cardiff that were pretty much already doomed. To claim he relegated them is unfair.

It was a silly job for him to take as an inexperienced coach. He redeemed himself with his title win with Molde which is an impressive feat considering it was their first ever title. That is at the very least as impressive as Potter at Ostersunds (achievements I rate as well).

While Ole has benefited from his attachment to United he is actually a young coach who has done well in lesser leagues and a comparable manager to Potter.

I'd agree, but that wasn't the argument

- it was supporters cheering bricky journalist for crying down managers (who I don't want) but are clearly more qualified than the amateurs that other top clubs hired but they don't have the balls to call them out on.
So because some other clubs have employed brick managers we should embrace hiring a brick manager ourselves?

Back