• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Coronavirus

What does testing and the success of it look like? People are attributing it to the success of Germany etc but more than likely that its the lockdown that keeps their figures low.

Testing now is flawed so how good was it at the start and is it worth it when:

- You can have it but not show
- Not have it, test, wait days for your results, contracts, spread and then comeback negative result
- Have it, wait days for results, spread it, test positive.

Another stick to bash the brits with but its proving more and more that the idea of testing sounds better than it is because people are using it as some kind of yardstick but there are now proven stats to attribute to testing negative or otherwise that makes it a success of failure.

No deaths in care homes versus 22k deaths in care homes, according to that article.

Do you actually think we've managed this thing well in Britain?

I think we have done somethings well and other things not so well but its been globally recognised and proven daily that testing is not full proof and those that have small death tolls have done so because of early and entire lock downs. Its proven in that Korea and Germany lifted their restrictions and there was a spike straight away.

No deaths in care homes versus 22k deaths in care homes, according to that article.

Do you actually think we've managed this thing well in Britain?

Are you sure ALL them deaths (22k) are all down to Covid? there are many deaths in care homes year on year and for lots of complaints.

What's the average life expectancy in a care home? How much life was saved?
How about 1k-odd cases, and 4 deaths then, since I know you view anyone no longer of employable age as immediately expendable. That seems quite successful to me.

Still we'll have "world beating" tracing by June.

What's the average life expectancy in a care home? How much life was saved?

I don't think it's really so straightforward. Not everyone in a care home is at death's door. In high dependency units there is probably quite a low life expectancy. Yet someone in a residential care home, who needs care with day to day living but does not have an acute medical condition, may live there for several years. Likewise someone in a nursing home with low to medium dependency, or with dementia etc., can live for several years (albeit horribly so in the latter example). They may still be generally weaker and more medically vulnerable than those not in care homes and therefore more susceptible to the virus if not properly shielded from it, but not necessarily in the "oh, they were old/infirm and going to die anyway" category.

Are you sure ALL them deaths (22k) are all down to Covid? there are many deaths in care homes year on year and for lots of complaints.
No I'm not, but even if it's half of that, then compared to zero it's still brick.

And we're not the only country who've fudged that up either (Canada, forum favourite Sweden), but I can't see how anyone can look at other results in countries, even those with far less capability to deal with something like this (Greece), and think our efforts have been anything other than a complete balls up from the start.

No I'm not, but even if it's half of that, then compared to zero it's still brick.

And we're not the only country who've fudged that up either (Canada, forum favourite Sweden), but I can't see how anyone can look at other results in countries, even those with far less capability to deal with something like this (Greece), and think our efforts have been anything other than a complete balls up from the start.

Fair enough and of course you are entitled to your opinion:), to be honest most of the " NEWS"/"FACTS" that some people quote ( not saying you are one of them) depend on what paper they favour and their own political stance.

However there is no doubt that Covid situation is a mess but its so easy for some ( again not saying you do) to slag of the party/leader they oppose. Its a mess and ALL countrys have to decide what is the best way of dealing with it, i dare say when (IF) this is over there will be mistakes seen made by ALL leaders and ALL countrys.

I don't think it's really so straightforward. Not everyone in a care home is at death's door. In high dependency units there is probably quite a low life expectancy. Yet someone in a residential care home, who needs care with day to day living but does not have an acute medical condition, may live there for several years. Likewise someone in a nursing home with low to medium dependency, or with dementia etc., can live for several years (albeit horribly so in the latter example). They may still be generally weaker and more medically vulnerable than those not in care homes and therefore more susceptible to the virus if not properly shielded from it, but not necessarily in the "oh, they were old/infirm and going to die anyway" category.
They were definitely all going to die.

Another stick to bash the brits with.
So never mind about about 15,000 avoidable deaths in our care homes we have absolutely nothing to learn from Hong Kong. Is that it??

Come on man, think about what you just said.

Testing may be flawed but it appears to have been a very important weapon in the strategy deployed from the outset by Hong Kong in their care homes. Surely we have SOMETHING to learn from that, no?

Testing may be flawed but it appears to have been a very important weapon in the strategy deployed from the outset by Hong Kong in their care homes. Surely we have SOMETHING to learn from that, no?

Yeh that complete shutdown early stops people getting the cases.

You make it sound like HK had the number of cases that America had but managed to save the lives of those in care homes by testing. That is rubbish and a flawed argument.

HK had 1000 cases with 96% recover rate, had nothing to do with testing.

Back