• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Very damning, they clearly reflect his awful run of form since he last scored. Would be interesting to contrast with a similar period up to the last time he did manage to find the net.

Of course stats can be quite selective, presumably those exclude all non-PL games. He's been scoring for Denmark and in cup games, plus there was that superb disallowed goal on Saturday.

All players, even the very best, have dreadful runs, but he's now well overdue a turn in his fortunes.

What the hell has happened to this guy? I honestly believe he's our best player when in form, and the reason we played such good football last year was because he was on the top of his game.

I get it when players go through dry runs where maybe they don't score for a while, but this is something else. I lost count of how many times he gave the ball away on Saturday. Forget about how he didn't have a Son or Lamela running in behind to pick out in space, he was struggling with basic, simple passes.

The best football we've played under Poch has been when Eriksen, Alli and Lamela link up well with crisp, one touch pass and move football. With the other two struggling for fitness we really need Eriksen back in form as the football has been truly awful to watch recently.

I don't want to blame the signing of a new contract, but his form seems to have taken a similar trajectory to Bentaleb's when he did. Difference was we had several others who could replace Bentaleb when he went off the boil in the starting XI, are we sure that Winks is ready to make a step up to replace the guy who, with the possible exceptions of Modric and Van Der Vaart, has been quite easily our best playermaker of the last 20 odd years?

Of course stats can be quite selective, presumably those exclude all non-PL games. He's been scoring for Denmark and in cup games, plus there was that superb disallowed goal on Saturday.

All players, even the very best, have dreadful runs, but he's now well overdue a turn in his fortunes.
So far this season, the only goals that Eriksen has scored was a brace when we routed Gillingham 5-0 plus a brace against Kazakhstan and one against Armenia.

Otherwise, he's gone 1292 minutes without a goal in Premier or Europa League.

Eriksen's last EPL goal was the 3rd in our 3-0 win at home to Bournemouth, way back in March, which means the goalless run now stands at 18 games.

Such a pity he mistimed his run against the Spammers, as that would've been a lovely goal to end the barren run and perhaps see Eriksen's confidence / form return.

What the hell has happened to this guy? I honestly believe he's our best player when in form, and the reason we played such good football last year was because he was on the top of his game.

I get it when players go through dry runs where maybe they don't score for a while, but this is something else. I lost count of how many times he gave the ball away on Saturday. Forget about how he didn't have a Son or Lamela running in behind to pick out in space, he was struggling with basic, simple passes.

The best football we've played under Poch has been when Eriksen, Alli and Lamela link up well with crisp, one touch pass and move football. With the other two struggling for fitness we really need Eriksen back in form as the football has been truly awful to watch recently.

I don't want to blame the signing of a new contract, but his form seems to have taken a similar trajectory to Bentaleb's when he did. Difference was we had several others who could replace Bentaleb when he went off the boil in the starting XI, are we sure that Winks is ready to make a step up to replace the guy who, with the possible exceptions of Modric and Van Der Vaart, has been quite easily our best playermaker of the last 20 odd years?

It's not the contract

- part of it is luck, i.e. the disallowed goal, couple of times he has hit the bar.
- part of it is the constant changes in side/position
- part of it is the form of the players around him.

The last part is the piece people miss the most, Dele & Dembele have not been the players they were last season, add in the injuries to Kane & Lamela, not a lot of consistency.

Last season was the same, slow start, rotation of players till we settled to a first 11, then we kicked on.

It's not the contract

- part of it is luck, i.e. the disallowed goal, couple of times he has hit the bar.

The last part is the piece people miss the most, Dele & Dembele have not been the players they were last season, add in the injuries to Kane & Lamela, not a lot of consistency.

Last season was the same, slow start, rotation of players till we settled to a first 11, then we kicked on.

Very well summed up.

It's not the contract

All true, but you are missing the key thing here which is Eriksen has been fit all season and yet cannot seem to get the basics right

I gotta be honest while the above is an acceptable excuse for the inconsistencies of our team as a whole I think it is a pathetic excuse to try and justify Eriken's poor form. The fact that some of his team mates have been poor does not excuse him for the rubbish he has produced himself. What stops him from rising above the poor form of others?

I remember in the mid to late 90s and early 00s when we had a brick team it did not stop Ginola, Carr and dare I say Campbell excelling amongst the mediocrity. And by the way when Sissoko plays poorly no one defends him by saying it is because his team mates are not playing well. Maybe I would have a bit more sympathy for Eriksen if being on £70K-£75K a week he was capable of taking a fecking corner that can beat the first man.

This is not my being anti Eriksen this is just me judging a player who is supposed to be one of our most talented creative players at the club who is simply not delivering. And it is not like he has been hampered with injuries and suspension the way Dele, Lamela and Dembele have been.

Last edited:
Have to agree with NaijaSpurs, when you see some the comments about other players after one bad game it's difficult to see how eriksen is getting so many excuses.He's not better than paulinho at the moment.

I think he's regressed over the last 2-3 seasons and it seems to be linked to his "barnet". We should have seen the warning signs with Rooney.
Hair weave = performance nose dive

And he's been cack for a lot longer than this season, he's been poor since at least February.

That bit I disagree with. He picked up a lot of assists in the second half of last season. Only Ozil beat him in the final tally because of it.

You'd have thought especially as he'd had a rest because Denmark weren't at Euro 2016 and he had a full season to prepare though, he'd have started the season well. The City game is the only really impressive one that he's had, sadly.

That bit I disagree with. He picked up a lot of assists in the second half of last season. Only Ozil beat him in the final tally because of it.

You'd have thought especially as he'd had a rest because Denmark weren't at Euro 2016 and he had a full season to prepare though, he'd have started the season well. The City game is the only really impressive one that he's had, sadly.

Didnt he leave international duty early due to an injury???

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...mark-friendly-with-minor-injury-a3394306.html

It's not the contract

And part of it is Eriksen's own poor form. I believe an in form Eriksen would do better than this despite the factors you mention.

But I do believe he will turn it around. And I'm not really worried by the lack of consistency. He's a 24 year old attacking midfielder who builds a lot of his game around goals and assists. Inconsistency should be expected.

The differ
Have to agree with NaijaSpurs, when you see some the comments about other players after one bad game it's difficult to see how eriksen is getting so many excuses.He's not better than paulinho at the moment.

The big difference being that Eriksen has been quality prior to this barren run so people (like myself) are willing to give him a bit more room for manoeuvre. I for one also give a bit more space to players who try to move the ball forward, they are likely to be affected most and show up most by poor runs of form.

The differ

The big difference being that Eriksen has been quality prior to this barren run so people (like myself) are willing to give him a bit more room for manoeuvre. I for one also give a bit more space to players who try to move the ball forward, they are likely to be affected most and show up most by poor runs of form.
The moose, wanyama, Dier and Walker all been quality. Yet one or a couple of poor games and they get stick.
Eriksen seems to have a line of people ready to make excuses for him.
Generally I don't criticise players, but his slump has been going on to long to ignore.

The moose, wanyama, Dier and Walker all been quality. Yet one or a couple of poor games and they get stick.
Eriksen seems to have a line of people ready to make excuses for him.
Generally I don't criticise players, but his slump has been going on to long to ignore.

There is a difference between getting stick after a bad game (even Harry has got that) and getting called out as being poor over a prolonged period and getting a fan build up of abuse. I personally haven't seen any of the 4 you mentioned getting a prolonged calling out (I certainly haven't). Maybe they have but I also note that none of them are attacking players looking to 'make things happen' - a type of player I like to give extra leniency to as alluded to in my previous post.and hence maybe why Eriksen gets cotton-wooled a bit.

I'm just second guessing as personally I've had no issue with those u mention above and I have no real issue with Eriksen - he still works hard and is trying but is just out of form. Unfortunately the best way out of form is to be on the pitch and to get some goals/assists. I wonder, do the knockers actually want him to be left out? Looking at Saturdays team I'm not sure we can afford that at the moment. Maybe a rest when everyone is fit.

Just rewatched our 3rd goal from Saturday. Lovely little pass from CE to Son. Small acorns and all that but he was in there pitching at least which is good enough for me. Lets not forget he could have walked away from the Arsenal game with 2 assists. Its not always your own play which dictates whether you get an assist or not.

Certainly not having a go at you Benny_Lad.
Your points echo my feelings a lot.
We can't drop him there's no replacement.
It just frustrates the he'll out of me reading about players getting rubbished for poor displays occasionally yet eriksen is getting a bye for doing it repeatedly.
Irony is, if Eriksen was getting pelters I'd being defending him.

Certainly not having a go at you Benny_Lad.
Your points echo my feelings a lot.
We can't drop him there's no replacement.
It just frustrates the he'll out of me reading about players getting rubbished for poor displays occasionally yet eriksen is getting a bye for doing it repeatedly.
Irony is, if Eriksen was getting pelters I'd being defending him.

Disagree that Eriksen is getting a bye, if you go back through this thread you'll see several of his most ardent supporters have been losing patience with him. However I'll concede that others. myself included, are still prepared to cut him some slack and here's why:

• he is way more talented on the ball than certain AMs I could mention
  • unlike the Paulinhos of this world he NEVER fails to put in a stint
  • even when having a stinker he still manages to create precious chances as well as providing the crucial link between defence and attack, as he did on Saturday
  • he is our only really creative player, without him many more of our attacks would go sideways and/or backwards. Much of his work is in picking out intelligent short passes through the defence into the path of runners. This part of his game is less conspicuous therefore tends to go unnoticed / unappreciated
  • he is enduring a long run of poor form but he has done it for us often enough in the past and will undoubtedly do so again in the future

Last edited:
Disagree that Eriksen is getting a bye, if you go back through this thread you'll see several of his most ardent supporters have been losing patience with him. However I'll concede that others. myself included, are still prepared to cut him some slack and here's why:

• he is way more talented on the ball than certain AMs I could mention
  • unlike the Paulinhos of this world he NEVER fails to put in a stint
  • even when having a stinker he still manages to create precious chances as well as providing the crucial link between defence and attack, as he did on Saturday
  • he is our only really creative player, without him many more of our attacks would go sideways and/or backwards. Much of his work is in picking out intelligent short passes through the defence into the path of runners. This part of his game is less conspicuous therefore tends to go unnoticed / unappreciated
  • he is enduring a long run of poor form but he has done it for us often enough in the past and will undoubtedly do so again in the future
And not only that, he's human as well.

I gotta be honest while the above is an acceptable excuse for the inconsistencies of our team as a whole I think it is a pathetic excuse to try and justify Eriken's poor form. The fact that some of his team mates have been poor does not excuse him for the rubbish he has produced himself. What stops him from rising above the poor form of others?

I remember in the mid to late 90s and early 00s when we had a bricke team it did not stop Ginola, Carr and dare I say Campbell excelling amongst the mediocrity. And by the way when Sissoko plays poorly no one defends him by saying it is because his team mates are not playing well. Maybe I would have a bit more sympathy for Eriksen if being on £70K-£75K a week he was capable of taking a fecking corner that can beat the first man.

This is not my being anti Eriksen this is just me judging a player who is supposed to be one of our most talented creative players at the club who is simply not delivering. And it is not like he has been hampered with injuries and suspension the way Dele, Lamela and Dembele have been.

Naija, I'm not totally excusing his form (which has dipped), my point was it is a part of a broader problem that includes the team.

Eriksen in Spurs plays a team role (as vs. Denmark where he is main guy), he looks best when intelligent players work with him (e.g. last season when the pivot of Eriksen/Lamela/Dele was moving, switching, passing quickly).

For what its worth, I actually think Eriksen is more consistent than Ginola & Carr, who yes excelled amongst mediocrity (Christ we have come some way), but also had a lot of invisible games.

Back