• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Disagree that Eriksen is getting a bye, if you go back through this thread you'll see several of his most ardent supporters have been losing patience with him. However I'll concede that others. myself included, are still prepared to cut him some slack and here's why:

• he is way more talented on the ball than certain AMs I could mention
  • unlike the Paulinhos of this world he NEVER fails to put in a stint
  • even when having a stinker he still manages to create precious chances as well as providing the crucial link between defence and attack, as he did on Saturday
  • he is our only really creative player, without him many more of our attacks would go sideways and/or backwards. Much of his work is in picking out intelligent short passes through the defence into the path of runners. This part of his game is less conspicuous therefore tends to go unnoticed / unappreciated
  • he is enduring a long run of poor form but he has done it for us often enough in the past and will undoubtedly do so again in the future

I will mention that one thing I desperately want him to do a lot more often (to the point of getting bloody tinkled off when he doesn't) is to play slide rule passes behind the defense, instead of trying to constantly loft it in all the time.

Well i think one day CCV may become better than Vertonghen...but i'm not going to use that to select him ahead of Vertonghen to play at the Bridge this Saturday...

I am inclined to disagree. I have been judging him on a match by match basis. I thought he was very good against the Goons last week but very poor yesterday. I distinctly remember him impressing in his first match after signing a new contract but generally he has been poor this season. The fact that I am calling it as I see it after each match does not make him the whipping boy.

And for the record you are right most of the team were poor for large periods yesterday, but the difference is most of those players have a lot more good games than Eriksen

Today he looked good, very good.

It did help that Swansea were brick, but he played well, as did the whole team

Whom knew that he had the towering centre forward header in his locker? For a moment I thought it was Bobby Smith or Big Chiv.

I still think he tried to force it a bit too much, but he definitely grew into his skin after his first goal.
Yeah. In the first half I thought his touch and passing was not great but hopefully those goals will instill some much needed confidence.

In terms of vision he is still seeing the early passes when a lot of his team mates are holding the ball too long, but his execution is still well off. And some of these attempted passes are not that hard to make, but he is missing his intended target or putting the wrong weight on it. He was better than this before so it is in him to fix this.

I thought he played well today. The thing about Eriksen is that he's not quick and not flash but knits things together and picks out passes.

If we had more intelligence and running ability in our forward players Eriksen would shine more. He's a decent player and we'd miss him if he wasn't here.

Yeah. In the first half I thought his touch and passing was not great but hopefully those goals will instill some much needed confidence.

In terms of vision he is still seeing the early passes when a lot of his team mates are holding the ball too long, but his execution is still well off. And some of these attempted passes are not that hard to make, but he is missing his intended target or putting the wrong weight on it. He was better than this before so it is in him to fix this.

It might be confidence - if it is, then three goals in two games will definitely have pepped him up. I agree that he sees those passes more than a lot of others - the only other players I can think of with that vision in the side are Dele (who translates it into give-and-gos, more than anything) and Lamela (who plays through-balls along the floor a lot more than Eriksen). I hope we got a step closer to helping him do a lot more of that today.

I thought he played well today. The thing about Eriksen is that he's not quick and not flash but knits things together and picks out passes.

If we had more intelligence and running ability in our forward players Eriksen would shine more. He's a decent player and we'd miss him if he wasn't here.

Sorry mate have to disagree. Yes, he was OK but we have a lot of smart running in and around him, it is just he is not seeing passes/passing nearly as well as he can. I think he often delays too long due to confidence issues, furthermore his decision making has been curious (at Chelski last week he elected to shoo again from outside the box when a pass inside puts Kane - I think was Hazza- one on one)...I hope the goals give him confidence, but he should be better IMO.

It might be confidence - if it is, then three goals in two games will definitely have pepped him up. I agree that he sees those passes more than a lot of others - the only other players I can think of with that vision in the side are Dele (who translates it into give-and-gos, more than anything) and Lamela (who plays through-balls along the floor a lot more than Eriksen). I hope we got a step closer to helping him do a lot more of that today.

A very fair appraisal IMO.

he has been better lately, but the way he attacked the header for his goal still tinkled me off, everything about it was wrong

He's scared of the ball. I have been watching this very closely and he pulls out of so many heading duels it isn't funny. He's very good at too. Often it's just a matter of just not quite getting to the contest in time etc.

He's scared of the ball. I have been watching this very closely and he pulls out of so many heading duels it isn't funny. He's very good at too. Often it's just a matter of just not quite getting to the contest in time etc.

he turned his back on an open goal, yes the game was over but i'm not confident he'd behave differently at 0-0

Back