• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Thought he was much better yesterday. Probably the best I've seen him this season (I've missed a few games though).

Much more aggressive, pressed harder, passed better and was more involved. As someone mentioned; could it have something to do with our change of formation? He also ran 12,7 km yesterday, more than any other player on the pitch. I don't think it's a coincidence that both Eriksen and us as a team played better yesterday. He's vital to us, IMO.

A lot better yesterday, he has not been playing well ( but he is not the only one who has not). As others have said when he plays at his best we are a far better team and we should hope that he can return to his best.

He was better yesterday for sure but for me the reason I would replace him isn't a reason based on form. My thoughts on him have been this way for the last 18 months really but I feel that his mobility and ability to really press and track is not up to say the standard of Lamela/Son when they are on it and all the coaching in the world won't change that. It is just is what it is, he is fairly lightweight and slow by comparison to the other players around him and quite often I feel that he is the weak link defensively once we have lost the ball.

Once we lose the ball then fairly often he is a passenger in a side desperately trying to get the ball back within a determined period of time. So when you compare that with the mobility, pace and movement of say the Liverpool three of Mane, Firmino and Coutinho then you can clearly see the difference. The other issue is that whilst Son and Lamela have the ability to beat a player one on one (happens rarely I know), Eriksen cannot do that and relies on his ability to thread balls and pick the pass which is becoming ever more difficult for us when teams pack the central zone. All of those three at Liverpool plus Origi, Lallana and Sturridge have the ability to beat a player with skill and nous and it is what makes them incredibly dangerous with their movement.

I don't think his form has been helped by the loss of Kane who obviously plays the CF position so well allied to the fact that none of the players who have played with him in the three have been particularly good on a consistent basis either but there are certain things within his overall package that just cannot be changed and it isn't anyone's fault but I'm it does hinder us as an overall unit and as I have said in the transfer thread, paying big money for Isco isn't the answer because you are getting more of the same. We need a dynamic, quick and very fit player in there and despite his negatives, its one of the reasons why I would have been delighted with Zaha because of his willingness to just forever take people on.

his mobility and ability to really press and track is not up to say the standard of Lamela/Son when they are on it and all the coaching in the world won't change that. It is just is what it is, he is fairly ...slow by comparison to the other players around him and quite often I feel that he is the weak link defensively once we have lost the ball.
He is very fast. Often he will sprint upfield with great pace, skipping along from back to front and back again like Alistair Brownlee's brother.
He cuts off passing lanes rather than tackling. It is not as telegenic as Lamela's diving in. See Michael Carrick.
He usually wins furthest run' and 'most interceptions'.

He is very fast. Often he will sprint upfield with great pace, skipping along from back to front and back again like Alistair Brownlee's brother.
He cuts off passing lanes rather than tackling. It is not as telegenic as Lamela's diving in. See Michael Carrick.
He usually wins furthest run' and 'most interceptions'.
He does cut off lanes, but I feel now that teams know he isn't going to tackle they have time to play round him. He needs to tackle occasionally to keep them 9n their toes.

You can have a player who'll unlock a defence (whether it's by dribbling or passing), or you can have a grafter who presses like a maniac. To have one guy do both is the sign of a top top t'riffic player, e.g. Modric or Hazard (when on form). Our Christian's very much the former, but that's not to say he doesn't put the yards in. And his interception stats are very good.

Besides which, we'd be less "Spurs" without him. Audere est facere and all that. When we're playing well, I see Eriksen as a sort of attacking pivot, the glue that binds Kane, Alli and Lamela together.

You can have a player who'll unlock a defence (whether it's by dribbling or passing), or you can have a grafter who presses like a maniac. To have one guy do both is the sign of a top top t'riffic player, e.g. Modric or Hazard (when on form). Our Christian's very much the former, but that's not to say he doesn't put the yards in. And his interception stats are very good.

Besides which, we'd be less "Spurs" without him. Audere est facere and all that. When we're playing well, I see Eriksen as a sort of attacking pivot, the glue that binds Kane, Alli and Lamela together.

I agree, but I'd point out that Eriksen actually is capable of doing both - he grafts extremely well and he can (when on form) unlock defenses. It's what makes him potentially WC for me - I've accepted that he won't ever be as devastatingly effectual for us as Ozil currently is for Arsenal, but that isn't because of any limitation of his either technically or tactically. In my view, Eriksen's right up there with Ozil on both counts. The difference is that Ozil, when not on the ball, just drifts around looking for space a lot of the time - it's what allows him to be a second or two ahead of play when compared to most players on the pitch. Eriksen grafts a hell of a lot harder off the ball, which reduces his time and space on the ball when he does get it. The bad news is that this means (necessarily) a reduction in attacking output relative to less defensively-inclined players - the good news is that this potentially makes Eriksen that rarest of things, a footballer who can both defend and create in equal measure. With Ozil, you're always going to have to accommodate him in your side to an extent - you make a tradeoff between the team's defensive solidity and its attacking intent, while hoping that Ozil's undoubted threat keeps teams pinned back and negates the somewhat looser press/defensive unit higher up the field that arises when he's out looking for space. Most managers would happily make that trade-off, of course (and Wenger seems to have settled on matching Ozil's less strenuous defensive efforts with Sanchez's relentless harrying/pressing high up) - but the really system-intensive ones, the Guardiolas, Bielsas, Klopps, (Pochettinos) and Mourinhos of this world, they might not.

But with Eriksen, if (if) he can become a bit more consistent with the creative aspect of his game, you're looking at a player every manager in the world would kill to have, without exceptions. He'll have no weaknesses in his game from a tactical standpoint - he'd fit a team that presses with discipline/sits back as easily as he'd fit one that just plays (a Redknapp side, for instance). And he'd be capable of creating, scoring and defending in equal measure - in the future, he could even be played deeper than he's currently being played and not look out of place. For me, those sorts of players are just *rarer* than the Ozil type of pure playmakers/forwards. And those sorts of players get their 'world class' tag not from their skill alone, but from the complete set of options they offer any manager, which completely (imo) nullifies their minor individual faults in productivity compared to the less involved #10s. They'll still score and assist a *lot*, but they'd also offer enough defensively that the team looks more solid for having them in than it would if they were out. And that makes them priceless.

Eriksen could be that sort of player. And I'm personally really happy to have him, because of this potential. As you've said, he's sort of like Modric in that regard - and I really do believe that he can become as good as Modric was, if given time. After all, Modric was 23 going on 24 when he signed for us, and prior to 2008 he'd spent his entire career in Croatia with Zagreb - by contrast, Eriksen's still only 24 now, and his history has involved playing for Ajax in the Eredivisie and the CL, and then in the PL, EL and CL for us - undoubtedly a harder challenge than what Modric had to face at the corresponding point in his career.

I agree, but I'd point out that Eriksen actually is capable of doing both - he grafts extremely well and he can (when on form) unlock defenses. It's what makes him potentially WC for me - I've accepted that he won't ever be as devastatingly effectual for us as Ozil currently is for Arsenal, but that isn't because of any limitation of his either technically or tactically. In my view, Eriksen's right up there with Ozil on both counts. The difference is that Ozil, when not on the ball, just drifts around looking for space a lot of the time - it's what allows him to be a second or two ahead of play when compared to most players on the pitch. Eriksen grafts a hell of a lot harder off the ball, which reduces his time and space on the ball when he does get it. The bad news is that this means (necessarily) a reduction in attacking output relative to less defensively-inclined players - the good news is that this potentially makes Eriksen that rarest of things, a footballer who can both defend and create in equal measure. With Ozil, you're always going to have to accommodate him in your side to an extent - you make a tradeoff between the team's defensive solidity and its attacking intent, while hoping that Ozil's undoubted threat keeps teams pinned back and negates the somewhat looser press/defensive unit higher up the field that arises when he's out looking for space. Most managers would happily make that trade-off, of course (and Wenger seems to have settled on matching Ozil's less strenuous defensive efforts with Sanchez's relentless harrying/pressing high up) - but the really system-intensive ones, the Guardiolas, Bielsas, Klopps, (Pochettinos) and Mourinhos of this world, they might not.

But with Eriksen, if (if) he can become a bit more consistent with the creative aspect of his game, you're looking at a player every manager in the world would kill to have, without exceptions. He'll have no weaknesses in his game from a tactical standpoint - he'd fit a team that presses with discipline/sits back as easily as he'd fit one that just plays (a Redknapp side, for instance). And he'd be capable of creating, scoring and defending in equal measure - in the future, he could even be played deeper than he's currently being played and not look out of place. For me, those sorts of players are just *rarer* than the Ozil type of pure playmakers/forwards. And those sorts of players get their 'world class' tag not from their skill alone, but from the complete set of options they offer any manager, which completely (imo) nullifies their minor individual faults in productivity compared to the less involved #10s. They'll still score and assist a *lot*, but they'd also offer enough defensively that the team looks more solid for having them in than it would if they were out. And that makes them priceless.

Eriksen could be that sort of player. And I'm personally really happy to have him, because of this potential. As you've said, he's sort of like Modric in that regard - and I really do believe that he can become as good as Modric was, if given time. After all, Modric was 23 going on 24 when he signed for us, and prior to 2008 he'd spent his entire career in Croatia with Zagreb - by contrast, Eriksen's still only 24 now, and his history has involved playing for Ajax in the Eredivisie and the CL, and then in the PL, EL and CL for us - undoubtedly a harder challenge than what Modric had to face at the corresponding point in his career.

Sorry, but I just don't see that defensive side anymore. The game is passing him by.
And he's stopped following passes up, he plays a forward pass and stops. Used to be he would at least keep level and occasionally go past the ball. Not now.
Not sure if he's struggling with his role or confidence but it's not happening at all for him.
Poch needs to work the same magic he worked with the moose.

Excellent post, if a little, shall we say, expansive.;) It's about time we had someone eulogising our Christian.

Re the bolded bits, I cannot quite envisage Eriksen eclipsing Modric though he is certainly capable of coming close. Neither can I see him in a deeper role alongside say a DM like Wanyama - if that's what you meant? Given his defensive limitations that might be too much of a stretch.

Good post and i agree with most of it, the only thing i would question is that i do not think Eriksen will be as good as Modric ( who is/was really world class). I hope i am wrong though.

Sorry, but I just don't see that defensive side anymore. The game is passing him by.
And he's stopped following passes up, he plays a forward pass and stops. Used to be he would at least keep level and occasionally go past the ball. Not now.
Not sure if he's struggling with his role or confidence but it's not happening at all for him.
Poch needs to work the same magic he worked with the moose.

He's had games this season where he made more interceptions/recoveries than any other player in the league on the week-end ...

Eriksen, like Modric/Carrick/etc, are types of player you have to spend a lot of time watching them when someone else has the ball to fully grasp impact/influence on game.

He's had games this season where he made more interceptions/recoveries than any other player in the league on the week-end ...

Eriksen, like Modric/Carrick/etc, are types of player you have to spend a lot of time watching them when someone else has the ball to fully grasp impact/influence on game.

Spot on, i never saw Carrick diving into tackles very often but he was and still is a top player.

On the other hand it's how Poch chooses to deploy Eriksen to get the best out of him for the team that is a big factor in his performances. He certainly looks like he isn't enjoying it out there as much.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Twice yesterday erisken ended up as our last man and then was the player instigating the attack

I thought he relished the freedom and looked much more like the okay we know he can be

I think this is starting to appear to split into camps where people feel they rate Eriksen and feel the others don't and vice versa. I want to make clear from my stand point that I do rate him and I do see what he does on and off the ball and my feelings on his suitableness are not something to hold against like not trying enough or just not having a clue where it can be coached out, I just think he by his nature can be a weak point once we have turned over possession especially if he has lost the ball personally.

I think from a physical and athletic point of view he can become our weak link in games and to that end if we are buying someone to compete with him then I want a different skill set, not just simply pay a shed load of money for Isco as an example which to me is just giving what I see as the same issue.

He can very well on occasion be the first person back preventing a break and then popping up providing the assist in the same move but he can also lose the ball unnecessarily when we have broke and then be totally unable to get back because he is just not able to by comparison to those around him. His carelessness at times in possession have left us open when he has been robbed and knocked off the ball. As I said in my earlier post as well, I don't think his poor form is just down to elements I have mentioned, I think Kane being out has hurt him in terms of a focal point for his game and the other two in his gang of three have rarely been up to scratch either which has hindered him as the movement ahead of him has been virtually non-existent at times.

Back