• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Canning Town Bingo Club

Fair play to them, if we'd beaten Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and City in our first ten games I'd be pretty confident aswell. They have made a great start, question is, how long will it last? Do we see them as contenders for the top four?, or will they fade away like last year?

Very impressed with West Ham thus far. They must be given the credit they deserve for some good football and excellent results.

They look a better for a top six finish than Liverpool, Southampton and Everton.

Last edited:
Fair play to them, if we'd beaten Chel53a, Ar5ena1, Liverpool and City in our first ten games I'd be pretty confident aswell. They have made a great start, question is, how long will it last? Do we see them as contenders for the top four?, or will they fade away like last year?

This .. people forget they got out the block quickly last year as well.

top 10 for them is a good finish, top 4 is just stupidity statement wise, the inevitable dip in form will come, other teams will do more research and quite honestly, the lesson in the PL (which we have failed to learn from the Scum for a decade) is ...

its not how good you do against the top 4-6 teams (as much press as wins against City/Cheat$ki get you), its how you do against the bottom 14 teams (where they have actually not such a good record).

Very impressed with West Ham thus far. They must be given the credit they deserve for some good football and excellent results.

They look a better for a top six finish than Liverpool, Southampton and Everton.
Not a chance.

They're running at 150% of their xG. They'll never stick it out. For a more realistic example of where they should be, take away about 9 goals and add a couple in the against column.

They also started competitive football a month or so earlier than the rest of the league - you quite often see Inter-toto clubs come flying out the traps (though not always) only to run out of steam at Christmas and nose dive

West Ham’s David Sullivan dreams of double – or top-four finish
• Team are currently third in Premier League, two points off top
• ‘I’m not talking it down. I want to talk it up. I believe it’s achievable’

West Ham’s joint-chairman, David Sullivan, is dreaming of winning the Premier League and FA Cup double this season.

The side have made a fine start to the campaign under their new manager, Slaven Bilic, and are third in the Premier League after 10 games, only two points off the top. Sullivan accepts going on to take the title may be a long shot but that is not preventing him from thinking big.

“We’re very, very optimistic,” he told the club’s website. “I’m not talking it down. I want to talk it up. I believe it’s achievable. Look at what’s gone wrong with Chelsea – that looked an impossibility – so why shouldn’t the opposite happen to us?

“In football, we’re here to dream. At the start of the season we were in four competitions and the aim was to win those four. Now we’re down to two – we’ve got the big double left – and it’s very, very unlikely but not impossible.”

West Ham have bold ambitions for the future with the club moving into London’s Olympic Stadium next season. Taking Champions League football to that arena is an obvious future target but, given current form, Sullivan thinks it could be possible from next year.

He said: “If you’d asked at the start of the season, I would have said it’s impossible this year. That said and done, it’s not impossible this season. Forget dreaming in the future. The unfortunate thing is that if you finish fourth you have to play a qualifying game – and no doubt we’d get a real toughie – like the fourth best team in Spain or Italy.

“Realistically, I’d love [to finish] fourth now and we’d take our chances. I know it’s unlikely but it really is possible. One more win and we’d be top of the table, looking down. I’m not sure how clever that would be as it’d really put pressure on people – it’s not bad to be two [points] off the lead.”

http://gu.com/p/4dmnp

West Ham’s David Sullivan dreams of double – or top-four finish
• Team are currently third in Premier League, two points off top
• ‘I’m not talking it down. I want to talk it up. I believe it’s achievable’

West Ham’s joint-chairman, David Sullivan, is dreaming of winning the Premier League and FA Cup double this season.

The side have made a fine start to the campaign under their new manager, Slaven Bilic, and are third in the Premier League after 10 games, only two points off the top. Sullivan accepts going on to take the title may be a long shot but that is not preventing him from thinking big.

“We’re very, very optimistic,” he told the club’s website. “I’m not talking it down. I want to talk it up. I believe it’s achievable. Look at what’s gone wrong with Chel53a – that looked an impossibility – so why shouldn’t the opposite happen to us?

“In football, we’re here to dream. At the start of the season we were in four competitions and the aim was to win those four. Now we’re down to two – we’ve got the big double left – and it’s very, very unlikely but not impossible.”

West Ham have bold ambitions for the future with the club moving into London’s Olympic Stadium next season. Taking Champions League football to that arena is an obvious future target but, given current form, Sullivan thinks it could be possible from next year.

He said: “If you’d asked at the start of the season, I would have said it’s impossible this year. That said and done, it’s not impossible this season. Forget dreaming in the future. The unfortunate thing is that if you finish fourth you have to play a qualifying game – and no doubt we’d get a real toughie – like the fourth best team in Spain or Italy.

“Realistically, I’d love [to finish] fourth now and we’d take our chances. I know it’s unlikely but it really is possible. One more win and we’d be top of the table, looking down. I’m not sure how clever that would be as it’d really put pressure on people – it’s not bad to be two [points] off the lead.”

http://gu.com/p/4dmnp
This is why statistics and probability need to form part of compulsory education in this country.

If anyone wants a laugh, listen to Talkbrick right now; they're discussing the Spammers and whether they can make top 4....many of their fans stating that their squad is clearly better than ours.

This is why statistics and probability need to form part of compulsory education in this country.

On a more serious note, you are right.

Some of the nonsense posted on here by people who do not know how to interpret data or understand probability drives me mad.

What is even more maddening is that our politicians and journalists are no better and when they get it wrong it has an impact.

David Sullivan: "The unfortunate thing is that if you finish fourth you have to play a qualifying game – and no doubt we’d get a real toughie – like the fourth best team in Spain or Italy."
Unlike the Europa League where they got to play the fourth best team in Romania. How did that go David?

On a more serious note, you are right.

Some of the nonsense posted on here by people who do not know how to interpret data or understand probability drives me mad.

What is even more maddening is that our politicians and journalists are no better and when they get it wrong it has an impact.

Not sure who that is directed at but you are right sometimes, mind you I get driven mad by those who think that statistics and probability are the answer for everything. ;)

Not sure who that is directed at but you are right sometimes, mind you I get driven mad by those who think that statistics and probability are the answer for everything. ;)

Not directed at anyone in particular. Selective use of stats to support prejudices gets my goat. Stats are best used to challenge your preconceptions.

Not directed at anyone in particular. Selective use of stats to support prejudices gets my goat. Stats are best used to challenge your preconceptions.

I do agree with that, but they are a tool no more no less. ( however I am not getting into that again ;))

The importance of sample size and natural variation are the other two common mistakes.

Back