• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andros Townsend

You're essentially accusing the board of collective racism?

I wonder why we're not seeing the same with Bentaleb? Could it be because he's playing to a much higher level?

Not at all, I think the issue is he's a direct rival of Lamela, the pin up boy - and let's be honest, Lamela is better for the global brand image of Tottenham and more likely to sell shirts, and Andros, with his large forehead, just looks less cool by comparison.

Not at all, I think the issue is he's a direct rival of Lamela, the pin up boy - and let's be honest, Lamela is better for the global brand image of Tottenham and more likely to sell shirts, and Andros, with his large forehead, just looks less cool by comparison.

Yeah. Everyone who disagrees with you just have some irrational biases and you're being all reasonable and ****...

Yeah. Everyone who disagrees with you just have some irrational biases and you're being all reasonable and ****...

No, you're misunderstanding me.

Why did Real Madrid sign David Beckham? Because of his footballing ability? Of course not. Handsome players bring added value in terms of marketing exposure and revenue, and a less handsome player often has to make way for them for non-footballing reasons, such as a more effective player at Madrid had to make way for Beckham and his, Beckham's, contribution to matches was often overstated to justify this. And we see this phenomena to certain extent with Lamela and Townsend.

<iframe style="width: 1px; height: 0px; border: medium none; position: absolute; visibility: hidden;" allowfullscreen="" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Andros Townsend hasn't created a chance in the Premier League since the opening day of the campaign on August 16th. pic.twitter.com/0YzFIR696k
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) December 28, 2014
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

No, you're misunderstanding me.

Why did Real Madrid sign David Beckham? Because of his footballing ability? Of course not. Handsome players bring added value in terms of marketing exposure and revenue, and a less handsome player often has to make way for them for non-footballing reasons, such as a more effective player at Madrid had to make way for Beckham and his, Beckham's, contribution to matches was often overstated to justify this. And we see this phenomena to certain extent with Lamela and Townsend.

And because of this, Andros Townsend is now an easy target for posters on a message board when they're evaluating player performances?

Or perhaps people disagree with you for other reasons than what you assume...

Rooney is pretty good for shirt sales iirc. Even though he has left-over muff hair sewn into his fat, ugly head.

He is quite good at football though.

<iframe style="width: 1px; height: 0px; border: medium none; position: absolute; visibility: hidden;" allowfullscreen="" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Andros Townsend hasn't created a chance in the Premier League since the opening day of the campaign on August 16th. pic.twitter.com/0YzFIR696k
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) December 28, 2014
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>
What about the clipped ball into Kane at the start of the last game? That has to go down as a chance created surely?

As I've said previously, it's the whole "looking like a Somalian Pirate" thing.

View attachment 2234

Nacer Chadli has the physique of a demi-GHod, and was once called 'beautiful' by his coach at Twente. Arjen Robben looks like one of the sadistic nutcase doctor extras in WWII concentration camp flicks: you know, the ones with no hair who look like they've never seen the sun and mutter things about measuring skull sizes for Aryan-ness.

I would have Robben over Chadli every single day of the week. I would have Shelvey over Paulinho every day of the week, and Rooney over Soldado.

I don't think people are judging how Townsend looks when declaring him to be worse than Lamela/not worth as much to the team: I'd like to think that appearances don't matter when measuring the ability of someone to do the job they claim to be able to do.

Now, if you'd said that people unfairly judge him in comparison to Lamela because 'Lamela cost 30 million quid, so he has to be better than Townsend'.....then I think you may have a point. But I think almost no one looks at Townsend and goes 'oh, he looks like a Somalian pirate, so Erik Lamela must be better than him (notwithstanding the fact that Erik's got a touch of the llama about him as well).

Don't agree about the somalian pirate thing, but I do think that lamela gets so much more of an easy ride than tounsend, I think both have the ability to become very good players, not great but very good.

Don't agree about the somalian pirate thing, but I do think that lamela gets so much more of an easy ride than tounsend, I think both have the ability to become very good players, not great but very good.

The Lamela thread says otherwise.

Townsend is absolutely ****e. he was okay on Sunday, but that is the maximum of his ability. okay. And he rarely reaches that. The guy can't score, can't assist, can barely take people on... How many goals and assists has this guy got in the league? I seriously doubt he can be effective at all for us. I want this goon gone in January.

Townsend is absolutely ****e. he was okay on Sunday, but that is the maximum of his ability. okay. And he rarely reaches that. The guy can't score, can't assist, can barely take people on... How many goals and assists has this guy got in the league? I seriously doubt he can be effective at all for us. I want this goon gone in January.

GrimsbyYid is the type of football fan I refer to, who judges players for non-footballing reasons and his swayed by Lamela's dashing looks and hefty fee, then seeks out statistics to confirm his opinions.

More enlightened fans such as myself make judgement on the players techniques and attributes. As I've previously said, Townsend's ability to use both feet combined with his ability to dribble at a high pace makes him a very effective player, not a world beater, no, and we'll never take a call from Real Madrid or Man Utd enquiring about his availability, but he'll have a good career in the premiership, maybe at a lesser club than ours in the end, but with Lamela I'm not entirely sure he'll manage any career in this country.

He gets a lot of unfair stick and is an easy target. In both of his last two starts he's gone outside and put in quality crosses with his right, and his best shot against Man Utd was also with his right - the ability to do these things make him preferable to Lamela in my opinion - cut inside and pass it to Eriksen, cut inside and pass it to Eriksen ad infinitum, would be a description of his performance against Leicester.

Wait wait wait. In the first half against United at one stage he was clear down the right with space to cross with his right foot but cut back and passed it to Chiriches.

GrimsbyYid is the type of football fan I refer to, who judges players for non-footballing reasons and his swayed by Lamela's dashing looks and hefty fee, then seeks out statistics to confirm his opinions.

More enlightened fans such as myself make judgement on the players techniques and attributes. As I've previously said, Townsend's ability to use both feet combined with his ability to dribble at a high pace makes him a very effective player, not a world beater, no, and we'll never take a call from Real Madrid or Man Utd enquiring about his availability, but he'll have a good career in the premiership, maybe at a lesser club than ours in the end, but with Lamela I'm not entirely sure he'll manage any career in this country.

How do you define effective?

Wait wait wait. In the first half against United at one stage he was clear down the right with space to cross with his right foot but cut back and passed it to Chiriches.

It's about mixing it and being unpredictable - in his last two starts he's shown the ability to go inside or outside. He put in absolute peach of a cross against Saudi Sportswashing Machine on his right and a decent one against Man Utd - He's a lot less predictable than Lamela in terms of his shooting and crossing.

How do you define effective?

Do something specific and difficult - that an alternative player could not necessarily have done equally as well - that changes the outcome of a football match.

Back