• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB Sacked page 224

THE WORD FROM HARRY:

Andre Villas-Boas deserved more time to work with and develop the Tottenham Hotspur squad, Harry Redknapp said on the day his successor was fired as manager.
Three heavy defeats in two months, the most recent a 5-0 mauling by Liverpool at White Hart Lane on Sunday, resulted in the sack for Villas-Boas with his expensively-assembled team lying a disappointing seventh in the Premier League table.
Spurs were also thrashed 6-0 at Emirates Marketing Project three weeks ago and suffered the embarrassment of a 3-0 home defeat by struggling West Ham United in October but Redknapp felt it was too early to jettison the young Portuguese.
"I think people are over-reacting too quickly," he told Talksport Radio on Monday. "You lose a couple of games now and you're in trouble, it shouldn't be like that.
"You either think somebody is good at their job or not and when you appoint someone you should give them time and let them do the job," added Redknapp, who is now in charge of Championship leaders Queens Park Rangers.
"It's far too early for people to start wanting to pull the plug on him. You've got to give him time and see what he can do," he said just before it was announced that Villas-Boas had been dismissed.

Public opinion is turning. I'm getting considerably peeved off with Levy. Haggling over 500,000 pounds for Moutinho is ridiculous, if true, as is telling AVB what to do and who to pick (a la Ade). And our mythical stadium seems further away than ever.

Even if it is true, it has clearly been over simplified.

There would have been arduous negotiations throughout the proposed transfer - right up to this so-called acceptable figure of £26M.

The final figure Spurs bid might have been £500k short of £26M, but there are so many things we don't know:

- Did Porto constantly play hard ball and keep changing their mind?
- Did the clubs actually agree £25.5M, only for Porto, at the last minute, try to squeeze another £500k out of Spurs?
- Was AVB given an overall budget, which he had already exceeded (even by declaring he also wants players X and Y), and so the extra £500k would have been way outside of budget?
- Did AVB or Baldini fail to identify any other players or make it too known he wanted Moutinho, giving the advantage to Porto?
- Were Monaco, or other clubs, involved at that point, distorting his fair value, or a price Spurs could reasonably afford or be expected to pay?
- Where should the club draw the line on an acceptable figure for a player? Just keep bidding and bidding?

THE WORD FROM HARRY:

Andre Villas-Boas deserved more time to work with and develop the Tottenham Hotspur squad, Harry Redknapp said on the day his successor was fired as manager.
Three heavy defeats in two months, the most recent a 5-0 mauling by Liverpool at White Hart Lane on Sunday, resulted in the sack for Villas-Boas with his expensively-assembled team lying a disappointing seventh in the Premier League table.
Spurs were also thrashed 6-0 at Emirates Marketing Project three weeks ago and suffered the embarrassment of a 3-0 home defeat by struggling West Ham United in October but Redknapp felt it was too early to jettison the young Portuguese.
"I think people are over-reacting too quickly," he told Talksport Radio on Monday. "You lose a couple of games now and you're in trouble, it shouldn't be like that.
"You either think somebody is good at their job or not and when you appoint someone you should give them time and let them do the job," added Redknapp, who is now in charge of Championship leaders Queens Park Rangers.
"It's far too early for people to start wanting to pull the plug on him. You've got to give him time and see what he can do," he said just before it was announced that Villas-Boas had been dismissed.

I just WISH he'd shut the **** up! He always has something to say. He was bashing him before. Then he wasn't. Then he sort of was. Now he's backing him. He should just concentrate on QPR and stop talking about is. It's embarrassing. Also interesting that he was in with this BEFORE confirmation when most people knew AVB was out the previous night. Seriously Harry, shut the **** up! Muppet.

Bit strong there Steff.. Think it's a fair call from Harry and he's talking real sense.. AVB did deserve more time and people do overreact these days, especially those in charge of football clubs.. Take off the anti-arry glasses off bud.

I just WISH he'd shut the **** up! He always has something to say. He was bashing him before. Then he wasn't. Then he sort of was. Now he's backing him. He should just concentrate on QPR and stop talking about is. It's embarrassing. Also interesting that he was in with this BEFORE confirmation when most people knew AVB was out the previous night. Seriously Harry, shut the **** up! Muppet.

Steff it's clear you don't like the bloke. I appreciate that. But he's obviously been asked a question, I doubt it's something he said off his own back.

And there's nothing in what he's said that is in any way controversial or wrong in my opinion.

THE WORD FROM HARRY:

I think that's pretty graceful from Harry. He gets undue disrespect too often IMO.

But I do think this talk of "more time" - which will be a big theme in paper commentary tomorrow - is missing the point somewhat. You can't give a guy more time to change and develop if inability to change and develop is the core reason for his sacking. That's like being criticised for not giving a rock more time to learn how to float. Sure, we can stand around and admire how sturdy and tough the rock is, but if we ultimately need it to float, more time ain't going to do it.

Guys…appreciate those opinions…Mulletperm, I disliked him when he arrived at ours, put it aside BECAUSE he was with us, loved some of what he did with us and despised how he treated us for the last season and a half. So it's a fair shout on your part. He broke my heart and didn't have the decency to cop to being partially accountable. I just wish he would stop talking about us. I understand he was asked a question, but there are many ways to answer it. And I did NOT see him coming out with sympathetic, supportive comments post-City or any other time AVB has been under pressure. I do remember the 'bull**** can baffle brains' comment. Sorry chaps. I'm cynical.

No doubt we'll still have people worshiping the man making up stupid little pictures saying 'you got levyed' soon people work out the only people getting 'levyed' is the manager and fans with increasing ticket prices the better.

THE WORD FROM HARRY:

Redknapp is saying this as he wants to appear graceful and classy towards the club/avb and not bitter at all. However if you really want to hear what his actual opinion is, look no further than Jamie who is his true mouthpiece. The stuff that Jamie was coming out with during the England saga were Harry's true thoughts as well. No doubt he is expressing his opinion through Jamie's sky sports punditry.

On the notion of him not getting the four players he wanted, I don't think that can be an excuse. Every single manager on the planet has to deal with that (except possibly Real Madrid and even then players choose Barca from time to time).

It's up to AVB to identify the gaps in the team he wants to fill. We are saying here he wanted

Moutinho - Mordic type player, makes the team tick
Villa - Crafty goalscorer with a bit of skill about him
Willian - Skillful creator
Contreao - Attacking Left back

So what did AVB & Baldini do

Modric Type Player - signed noone, infact loaned the nearest thing we had (Tom Carroll) out to QPR
Crafty Goalscorer - Soldado
Willian - Lamella or you could argue Eriksen also
Contreao - Brought Rose back and loaned out Benny

If not getting Moutinho was such an issue for AVB, why did we make absolutely no attempt to sign anyone else in a similar mould. Either AVB thought we had the players to cover, Baldini/Levy put a stop to signing anyone, or AVB asked Baldini to go get someone and he didn't do the business.

All this does beg the question (for me anyway) why has Levy gone back to a structure that we have actual concrete evidence didn't work in the past. At least Redknapp was fully accountable for everything. Everytime we've ever had a DoF, this 'who signed the players' arguement has come up. Levy seems like a man who is too stubborn to learn from his mistakes.

I think Levy must have been fuming Lamela and Adebayor were not playing considering the money paid (wages/transfer fees)

Sacking AVB at this juncture was a mistake that I hope Levy doesn't compound by putting the wrong man in his place. That's all I'll say on this topic.

COYS

On the notion of him not getting the four players he wanted, I don't think that can be an excuse. Every single manager on the planet has to deal with that (except possibly Real Madrid and even then players choose Barca from time to time).

It's up to AVB to identify the gaps in the team he wants to fill. We are saying here he wanted

Moutinho - Mordic type player, makes the team tick
Villa - Crafty goalscorer with a bit of skill about him
Willian - Skillful creator
Contreao - Attacking Left back

So what did AVB & Baldini do

Modric Type Player - signed noone, infact loaned the nearest thing we had (Tom Carroll) out to QPR
Crafty Goalscorer - Soldado
Willian - Lamella or you could argue Eriksen also
Contreao - Brought Rose back and loaned out Benny

If not getting Moutinho was such an issue for AVB, why did we make absolutely no attempt to sign anyone else in a similar mould. Either AVB thought we had the players to cover, Baldini/Levy put a stop to signing anyone, or AVB asked Baldini to go get someone and he didn't do the business.

All this does beg the question (for me anyway) why has Levy gone back to a structure that we have actual concrete evidence didn't work in the past. At least Redknapp was fully accountable for everything. Everytime we've ever had a DoF, this 'who signed the players' arguement has come up. Levy seems like a man who is too stubborn to learn from his mistakes.

That's an incredibly interesting take on what concrete evidence is.

No doubt we'll still have people worshiping the man making up stupid little pictures saying 'you got levyed' soon people work out the only people getting 'levyed' is the manager and fans with increasing ticket prices the better.

Took the words out of my mouth there fella. Absolutely spot on.

That's an incredibly interesting take on what concrete evidence is.

It promotes the hire and fire culture by giving Levy something to hide behind. When Jol lost his job he came out and blamed Comolli. Comolli didn't decide the time was right to go for Ramos, Levy did. Comolli apparently 'rowed with Ramos' becuase he let Keane and Berbatov go. He didn't let them go, Levy did.

Papers are now insinuating that AVB didn't want these players that Baldini spent 107m on, if he did (which actually I doubt) Levy sanctioned that money to be spent and essentially rated the opinion of his DoF over that of the manager.

You could argue (and I think that's what you are getting at) that we've been fairly successful on the pitch with a DoF in place, but at the height of that success we had Redknapp in charge of everything.

Is what I've described above really a viable way to run a football club?

Back