• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB Sacked page 224

How many teams did we look threatening or score from counter attacks under AVB? It's something we were great at under HR. All the top teams can hit you on the break with pace, Liverpool did yesterday, Arsenal can, Emirates Marketing Project can.

How many teams did we look threatening or score from counter attacks under AVB? It's something we were great at under HR. All the top teams can hit you on the break with pace, Liverpool did yesterday, Arsenal can, Emirates Marketing Project can.

whoa whoa whoa

last season we were a decent counter punching team

we had one of the the most tactically inept front 6 in Spurs' history.
The above is from a post on another thread but I think it is interesting. If AVB was as good a coach as we wanted him to be, why oh why have we been unable to score this season?

Reading Jason Burt's article...I am astounded at the level of incompetence our board has shown.

Really is a strange time for me, because for ten years since we sacked Hoddle as endured a season of Pleat I have backed every decision Levy has made. I thought he had a plan, he was really the smartest guy in football and he would get us to where we want to be. But reading that, my patience with him has snapped. The guy is a joke.

He has stumbled upon the only two managerial appointments that delivered us actual progress in Jol and Harry, and he takes a risk with AVB but doesn't give him the support to be successful. I've defended him before from accusations that he is a money man but he completely is, this idea that he would be happy for PSG to pay us for our head Coach is ****ing ridiculous, and I totally believe it. Either he thinks the guy is good, and backs him and gives him the opportunity to be successful, or e doesn't rate him and let's him go. What did he do? Kept him on, didn't support him and expected a title challenge.

Absolute madness. My patience with him has snapped. I have zero faith we will ever get to where we want to be with Levy, unless he stumbles on something with a great deal of luck again. An absolute joke.

Can't remember if it was posted in this thread but I can't be bothered to trawl through 100 pages in various threads. But regarding Redknapp's tactics and subs, I think both him and AVB at times were inept when it came to both areas. Very rarely did AVB make good subs. Both were negative at times. Both were stubborn.

Just read a quote from Paul Clement(think his name has popped up in the 'Next manager Thread'). ‘Football is simple,’ he says. ‘There is a goal and you have to try to put the ball in it.' Its in relation to differences between Ronaldo & Bale. I think this is one thing that AVB didn't do. Strikes me as a bloke who thinks thers a perfect science to winning/playing football. Best managers imo whether with world class players on semi-pro players are the ones who don't over complicate it. I'm involved in a non-league club and our then manager a few years ago got asked to an interview for the Cambridge United job. He got asked 'What style of Football do you play?' his reply was 'Winning football'. I think this typifies football people get caught up in how to play it and forget the objective.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...stiano-Ronaldo-Gareth-Bale.html#ixzz2nfpuMcPp

A lot to be said for keeping it simple. Roy Keane tells the story that Brian Clough said to him early on "Irishman, get the ball off someone not in a red jersey and give it to someone in a red jersey and you will do okay."

That's far better that blinding him with science like "Irishman, rest until the 60th minute, then run like mad until the 70th because that 10 minutes are when this lot are week 63% of the time."

Reading Jason Burt's article...I am astounded at the level of incompetence our board has shown.

Really is a strange time for me, because for ten years since we sacked Hoddle as endured a season of Pleat I have backed every decision Levy has made. I thought he had a plan, he was really the smartest guy in football and he would get us to where we want to be. But reading that, my patience with him has snapped. The guy is a joke.

He has stumbled upon the only two managerial appointments that delivered us actual progress in Jol and Harry, and he takes a risk with AVB but doesn't give him the support to be successful. I've defended him before from accusations that he is a money man but he completely is, this idea that he would be happy for PSG to pay us for our head Coach is ****ing ridiculous, and I totally believe it. Either he thinks the guy is good, and backs him and gives him the opportunity to be successful, or e doesn't rate him and let's him go. What did he do? Kept him on, didn't support him and expected a title challenge.

Absolute madness. My patience with him has snapped. I have zero faith we will ever get to where we want to be with Levy, unless he stumbles on something with a great deal of luck again. An absolute joke.

I kind of agree with you.

The Moutinho saga (if true) is really disappointing as you get the feeling that AVB's plan was to put everything through him and he was his 'starting block' for our way forward so to speak. To be that close and to (apparently) cut off your nose to spite your face over €500k (a small percentage of the whole figure being discussed) just seems petty and egotistical when we're talking about the managers main target.

In the summer I was massacred by some for saying that assurances had been given Bale was staying and that Madrid were the ones who turned it upside down. I also pointed out that AVB was never given the players he really wanted.

I believe the time was right for everyone. It's sad. I would've given him the season, but it seems even he was happy to go given how badly the relationship had stagnated. I knew he was furious over Moutinho. I knew he was furious over the Bale situation and I knew he was furious over the Willian debacle (which in fairness might not have been our fault given Jorabchian.

Where he ultimately failed was in his inability to have a bedside manner in crisis and his inability to make short-term changes of style to appease (and kick-start) a very talented group of players.

It's very very hard not to feel sorry for him. Yesterday was a shocking display, but I believe had he been given even ONE of the four players he really wanted, things could've been very different.

Finally, and I say this not because I am some Levy apologist but because it's very possibly true. There is a board. And there is an owner. Levy is the figurehead hatchet man. I suspect that this particular sacking would not have happened right now were it not for Lewis. Levy doesn't enjoy being the frontman of all this anymore than we enjoy seeing it.

In the summer I was massacred by some for saying that assurances had been given Bale was staying and that Madrid were the ones who turned it upside down. I also pointed out that AVB was never given the players he really wanted.

I believe the time was right for everyone. It's sad. I would've given him the season, but it seems even he was happy to go given how badly the relationship had stagnated. I knew he was furious over Moutinho. I knew he was furious over the Bale situation and I knew he was furious over the Willian debacle (which in fairness might not have been our fault given Jorabchian.

Where he ultimately failed was in his inability to have a bedside manner in crisis and his inability to make short-term changes of style to appease (and kick-start) a very talented group of players.

It's very very hard not to feel sorry for him. Yesterday was a shocking display, but I believe had he been given even ONE of the four players he really wanted, things could've been very different.

Finally, and I say this not because I am some Levy apologist but because it's very possibly true. There is a board. And there is an owner. Levy is the figurehead hatchet man. I suspect that this particular sacking would not have happened right now were it not for Lewis. Levy doesn't enjoy being the frontman of all this anymore than we enjoy seeing it.

Steff, who were the four players?

Public opinion is turning. I'm getting considerably peeved off with Levy. Haggling over 500,000 pounds for Moutinho is ridiculous, if true, as is telling AVB what to do and who to pick (a la Ade). And our mythical stadium seems further away than ever.

Public opinion is turning. I'm getting considerably peeved off with Levy. Haggling over 500,000 pounds for Moutinho is ridiculous, if true, as is telling AVB what to do and who to pick (a la Ade). And our mythical stadium seems further away than ever.

Let's also add the acquisitions of Nelsen and Saha with HR was around. The hugely frustrating thing is we were so close to leap-frogging the Woolwich Wanderers a few years back (and last year).

Who put the curse on this club?

Here's the full article from Jason Burt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ger-Andre-Villas-Boas-had-become-distant.html

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy and manager André Villas-Boas had become distant

The article loses credibility for me over the Man Utd bit. I don't believe for a second that Man Utd have £100 million to spend on one player or that they would even consider Adebayor. But the rest of it (if we were to take it as true) leaves a particularly bitter taste in the mouth about how the club is run.

Let's also add the acquisitions of Nelsen and Saha with HR was around. The hugely frustrating thing is we were so close to leap-frogging the Woolwich Wanderers a few years back (and last year).

Who put the curse on this club?

Over the last 5 seasons, we've made quite a significant profit on players in transfers. At no point did we have a long term manager like Wenger with a set style of play to oversee such a period.

At 2 or 3 vital points during those 5 seasons, if Levy had loosened the money belt just a tad, we may have been looking at 2+ more seasons in the CL and a whole load more income/ exposure, maybe one or two more retained players.

Ah well, no point crying over spoilt milk eh?

Over the last 5 seasons, we've made quite a significant profit on players in transfers. At no point did we have a long term manager like Wenger with a set style of play to oversee such a period.

At 2 or 3 vital points during those 5 seasons, if Levy had loosened the money belt just a tad, we may have been looking at 2+ more seasons in the CL and a whole load more income/ exposure, maybe one or two more retained players.

Ah well, no point crying over spoilt milk eh?

No. I'm just sick of having to drink the ****ing stuff!!

Back