• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB Sacked page 224

Bale saved him as much as he ruined him.

We were playing good stuff in the early stages in my view, not overly exciting end to end attacking power like under Redknapp, but we pressed magnificently and we didnt have problems scoring goals. Suddenly, Bale turned into a star and our aim seemed to be just get the ball to Bale and let him win us the game.

not entirely in agreement but i do think there's a lot of rewriting of last season going on, after the first run of games we generally looked a good team overall, lacking a bit of cutting edge but then we were without the creative players of years gone by.

not entirely in agreement but i do think there's a lot of rewriting of last season going on, after the first run of games we generally looked a good team overall, lacking a bit of cutting edge but then we were without the creative players of years gone by.

Agreed.

People seem to think we were playing like we did last year except we didn't have Bale. This isn't true at all. We were doing well last year. Especially up until the Arsenal game at home, everything just seemed to change after that.

Said after the West Ham game we need to write of this season. Cant lose 3-0 to west ham and then City 6-0. He was so far out of his depth. We need a manager with experience. AVB undid all of Redknapps work and whilst I am sad for him, I do not think he would have taken us far. Lets face it Bale saved him last year.

Good luck AVB as he seemed a nice guy, just tactically inept.

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but we're 5 points (+GD) behind 4th,6 points (+GD) behind 2nd and 8 points (+GD) behind the league leaders, we're in the knockout stages of the EL and quarter finals of the league cup. All of this with a very good, and big, squad at our hands.

Plenty left to fight for and play for this season. There's a couple of weeks left until the transfer window opens and most likely at least some funds available should a new manager feel like tweaking our already good squad. If we get a new permanent manager in within a couple of weeks we could be in for a great season still.

Said after the West Ham game we need to write of this season. Cant lose 3-0 to west ham and then City 6-0. He was so far out of his depth. We need a manager with experience. AVB undid all of Redknapps work and whilst I am sad for him, I do not think he would have taken us far. Lets face it Bale saved him last year.

Good luck AVB as he seemed a nice guy, just tactically inept.

Interestingly, at the time AVB started he said it was more a job of evolution rather than revolution and that he wanted to build on HRs team. 12 months later, he dismantled almost all of it. He talked of playing attacking football but sold our flair players to make us ultra solid. I just couldnt see the fans putting up with our style of play for too much longer regardless of results.

As poor as we were yesterday, and as disappointed I was with the performance and result, I find this decision ridiculous. Absolutley ridiculous. Who are we going to bring in who is going to do a better job? Do we really think Tim ****ing Sherwood is the man to do a better job for us than AVB? Even if it is just to the end of the season, will he do much better? We aren't that far off 4th place. Levy is really starting to wind me up with his constant trigger pulling of managers. Why aren't we successful? We have no continuity. We're almost turning into Chelsea in the way we chop and change. Get someone in charge and stick by them and give them a chance. Feels like this season has just been killed right now, because for the life of me, having Sherwood in charge until May doesn't excite me at all. Neither does the possibility of Capello. What exciting manager can we get midway through a season.

I pray he pulls something out the bag but the decision to kick AVB out today is a joke

Re: Avb done (official)

We should punish Ade by putting him in the reserves and leaving him to rot...oh wait...

War, huh what is it good for...

Fecking off Ade and BAE cost him his job.

Bringing back Rose when he was clearly not ready was just one of dozens of plain dumb decisions

He could have swapped Walker and Naughton instead of wasting the sub at 2-0 and of course 1 striker on the bench is just nonsensical.

I am delighted he has gone, absolutely delighted.

We're 5 points (+GD) behind 4th,6 points (+GD) behind 2nd and 8 points (+GD) behind the league leaders, we're in the knockout stages of the EL and quarter finals of the league cup. All of this with a very good, and big, squad at our hands.

Plenty left to fight for and play for this season. There's a couple of weeks left until the transfer window opens and most likely at least some funds available should a new manager feel like tweaking our already good squad. If we get a new permanent manager in within a couple of weeks we could be in for a great season still.

And now we can play our best players, too. Can we call back BAE?

And now we can play our best players, too. Can we call back BAE?

I'm guessing we can in January like we did when we recalled Walker from QPR to send him on loan to Villa.

If my memory serves me it's only PL full season loans that can't be recalled. But you're still limited to recalling players within the transfer window as their registration has to change. Or something along those lines.

fully deserved to be sacked in the end in my opinion.

performances were dire, our tactics and positioning of players was absolutely baffling at times.

What was most frustrating was he just kept persisting with the same strategy time after time. surely after a while you have to admit that it's not working and try something else? Especially when every time albeit by accident we lined up differently we looked a far better team.

I thought at the time redknapp deserved to go because he shot himself in the foot with the england thing, but right now he would get this group of players playing the sort of football we all want within a couple of weeks. All it would take would be putting players (wingers) in their proper positions and playing two up front for most games.

I'm guessing we can in January like we did when we recalled Walker from QPR to send him on loan to Villa.

If my memory serves me it's only PL full season loans that can't be recalled. But you're still limited to recalling players within the transfer window as their registration has to change. Or something along those lines.

Would be excellent to get Tom Carroll back too. But I do wonder with Sherwood being so close to Redknapp would he do it?

Would be excellent to get Tom Carroll back too. But I do wonder with Sherwood being so close to Redknapp would he do it?

I rate Carroll, I really do. Right now though I think it's more important that he keeps developing than for him to be in our near our first team squad as I still think at this point his impact for us in the PL compared to our other options in that position would be limited.

I don't think we should recall him unless we're planning on sending him on loan to a PL side.

I rate Carroll, I really do. Right now though I think it's more important that he keeps developing than for him to be in our near our first team squad as I still think at this point his impact for us in the PL compared to our other options in that position would be limited.

I don't think we should recall him unless we're planning on sending him on loan to a PL side.

If we're writing off this season, it would be worth starting him in the league now when there's no pressure on and not waiting for next season.
Lamela and Eriksen should start every game now too until it clicks.

If we're writing off this season, it would be worth starting him in the league now when there's no pressure on and not waiting for next season.
Lamela and Eriksen should start every game now too until it clicks.

Why on earth would we write off this season at this point? Would be absolute madness imo. See my post #4750 in this thread for further argumentation.

Re: Avb done (official)

It's so sad. We wall wanted AVB to be the answer. To be our Wenger or Fergie... but it's a results business and 0-1 Newc, 0-3 WHU, 0-5 Liverpool, 0-6 Emirates Marketing Project... and 3 wins against Palace, Swansea & Hull 1-0 penalties... isn't good enough. If we hadn't have got those 3 penalties AVB would have been gone in November.

We all love AVB, we love the man and he's a very good manager but right now we are absolutely ****e. Not even a shot on target yesterday...

I think it'll be Freund & Sherwood for the West Ham game and then who knows? JURGEN?!

I don't want the job.

Personally I am saddened that AVB has gone.

I find is astonishing that so much success is expected in such a small space of time. We have brought in 7 new players into the first team, all of whom are new to the league and our country/culture.

Success is not going to come instantly and if the base of success is by comparing it to last season then you are the one over expecting especially since we have lost our main scorer and heart of the team (that's without including Modric and Berbatov over the years).

Ferguson had two dreadful seasons before he created the squad he wanted and the success that came as a result. Is AVB to blame? No. He is mealy a lamb lead to the slaughter based on shocking decisions higher above.

No way should a squad change so drastically in a short space of time. No way should we have gone on for so long without focusing more on our goal scoring problems for the past seasons where most goals have come from midfield and our goal difference is way below that of teams in similar positions in the league.

I remember back to when we got into the CL that THAT was the time we should have forked out on our striker issue and by doing so we could have probably made players stay and become a regular contender. Instead we took the CL money and bought midfielders and defenders.

Players in over the years:

10/11
William Gallas, Rafael van der Vaart, Bongani Khumalo, Steven Pienaar

11/12
Brad Friedel, Cristian Ceballos, Souleymane Coulibaly, Scott Parker, Iago Falque, Louis Saha

12/13
Gylfi Sigurdsson, Jan Vertonghen, Grant Hall, Emmanuel Adebayor, Mousa Dembele, Clint Dempsey, Hugo Lloris, Lewis Holtby

What does that show? Mostly players either coming to the end of their career or rejected by other clubs (apart from the odd few). Again no real investment of focus on strikers.

So back to the start of this post. Is AVB to blame? No not in my view. Lack of investment from above over the years that would have introduced newcomers slowly into an existing squad would have been the better approach than simply coming into money from the sale of Bale to spend on 7+ new players to strengthen areas that had been neglected over the years. And to point out. Again. We have only brought in a single striker. That's without forgetting we maintain Adebayor and Defoe on our books whom are rarely seen these days.

AVB to blame? Try Levy.

Back