• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Some of the club's seven summer signings were acquired against the manager's advice and the squad left imbalanced by the failure to follow it.

I don't get this part. We're just one LB and maybe a striker away from having a great squad. Or is it just that he got Lamela instead of Willian?

Soldado over Villa?
Chadli over Bernard?
Eriksen over Willian?

I don't believe it though. AVB's big demand for the summer was a DoF to take charge of all that and let him focus on coaching.

The report was that he wanted Lamela, but knew he wouldn't really be in contention for the first six months (hence probably holding on to both Lennon and Townsend).

The club aren't on the stock market anymore, so we don't have short-term valuation fluctuations like that.

And how does become perfection by shooting ourselves in the foot and kick starting the miserable groundhog day of the past 20 years help improve that?

Even if it was a concern, we're also not going to get a more marketable coach than AVB. Luis Enrique, Murat Yakin, Fabio Capello etc - they are all going to be great for branding!

market share isnt explicitly limited to the stock market though as i am sure you are well aware. The footballing industry and its near unlimited reach and opportunities being the market that we are operating in right now. Maybe money and investment could be directly linked to how we are perceived as a team within that game?

i dont know, i'm just saying stuff here to make sense of it all as it doesnt make sense to me to get rid..wo why would this accurate dude be spouting this stuff

what i do NOT agree with is the idea that we cant get a more marketable coach than AVB..... how do you know we cant do that? And how do you know what brand of football and unknown would bring?

Soldado over Villa?
Chadli over Bernard?
Eriksen over Willian?

I don't believe it though. AVB's big demand for the summer was a DoF to take charge of all that and let him focus on coaching.

The report was that he wanted Lamela, but knew he wouldn't really be in contention for the first six months (hence probably holding on to both Lennon and Townsend).

that was a report prior to the season kicking off?

Don't buy these stories for one minute. Surely if there was a time to sack him it would have been after the 6-0 drubbing that Emirates Marketing Project dished out to us. Why sack him after 7 points from 9? Then again he sacked George Graham after WINNING an FA Cup quarter final away from home and just before we were about to play Scum in the semis (who Graham had a decent ish record against for a Spurs manager at the time).

Abramovich is well known for wanting Chelsea to play an attractive brand of football, as well as Levy knows the Spurs fanbase, he really doesn't strike me as the sort who would out a manager just because his style of football is not the easiest on the eye, which AVB's isn't. He strikes me as pragmatic and results driven, absolutely no way he could justify sacking AVB if we finish top 4, even narrowly missing out and finishing 5th would be harsh. I would say anything lower than that and Levy would have a case for removing him.

To be fair it was pretty clear Harry wasn't sacked purely for finishing 4th...he attained some relative success with us but it was obvious he wasn't the 'type' of manager Levy wanted. He seemed to get that with AVB. I don't know how anyone could take him seriously if he goes ahead and sacks him too. We would be an absolute joke.

It seems to all stem from the fact the board expected us to be alongside Arsenal this year on account of all the transition at the other clubs...while completely disregarding our own. Madness.

Agree to an extent and sorry to rehash old debates, but it would have been nigh on impossible to sack HR after finishing 3rd. In fact, I would say he would have kept his job for another season if Chelsea had not had the luckiest run known to man and won the CL. But he would have gone eventually.

I don't get your point?

I asked if AVB should still be in a job if we finish 15th to which you replied "if he's progressing in the long term plan, yes". I then ask how could you possibly gauge this if we finish 15th and you're saying you don't know?

There is no way he still has a job at Spurs if we are lower than 6th at the end of the season in my view. All very well having plans and visions for the future but you have to get results from those plans.

Won't be suprised if he's gone in summer. We'll never have a long term manager in my opinion while the chairman sells the best players every summer just not an attractive job for people.

Won't be suprised if he's gone in summer. We'll never have a long term manager in my opinion while the chairman sells the best players every summer just not an attractive job for people.

No, especially not when the manager we currently have has gone out and said that he will only be coaching for another 5-10 years, and that he would like to coach in Spain and Brazil as well. He isn't a long-term solution, unless he changes his mind, of course.

market share isnt explicitly limited to the stock market though as i am sure you are well aware. The footballing industry and its near unlimited reach and opportunities being the market that we are operating in right now. Maybe money and investment could be directly linked to how we are perceived as a team within that game?

i dont know, i'm just saying stuff here to make sense of it all as it doesnt make sense to me to get rid..wo why would this accurate dude be spouting this stuff

what i do NOT agree with is the idea that we cant get a more marketable coach than AVB..... how do you know we cant do that? And how do you know what brand of football and unknown would bring?

I just don't think we're a very attractive option for a top coach at the moment. With building the stadium over the next 4-5 years there's going to be no money to spend, yet there's expectation that we'll finish in the top 4, competing against 5 clubs who are significantly richer than us. There's no way we're going to get a Klopp or whoever.

I don't think AVB is a boring coach whatsoever, he's just building his team from the back by laying solid foundations first.

that was a report prior to the season kicking off?

No, its from here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...form-ahead-of-visit-of-Manchester-United.html

No, especially not when the manager we currently have has gone out and said that he will only be coaching for another 5-10 years, and that he would like to coach in Spain and Brazil as well. He isn't a long-term solution, unless he changes his mind, of course.

I read that a bit like the Manic Street Preachers saying in 1990 that they would make one album and split up in a blaze of glory.

I read that a bit like the Manic Street Preachers saying in 1990 that they would make one album and split up in a blaze of glory.

Except I can completely believe that AVB would do that after he left Porto, his hometown club, after one season and after telling them he wouldn't be leaving.

I don't believe a word of this nonsense but if any players were bought without AVB's consent, then it is Levy and not AVB that needs to go.

Would people prefer the dull football which AVB produces and us finish 4th OR more interesting football (can barely we worse) and finish 5th? Its a tough call.....however if your team is going to produce mind-numbing football then you have to achieve targets (ie CL football) or you're going to be toast. Pressure really is on AVB

Would people prefer the dull football which AVB produces and us finish 4th OR more interesting football (can barely we worse) and finish 5th? Its a tough call.....however if your team is going to produce mind-numbing football then you have to achieve targets (ie CL football) or you're going to be toast. Pressure really is on AVB

As much as I would like to see better football, I would take 4th all day as long as it isn't Tony Pulis style long ball, long throw ins football.

Some of the club's seven summer signings were acquired against the manager's advice and the squad left imbalanced by the failure to follow it.

I don't get this part. We're just one LB and maybe a striker away from having a great squad. Or is it just that he got Lamela instead of Willian?

I'd be surprised if he did feel that way as it wasn't exactly the club's fault after the secret deal between Anzhi owner and Roman.

The main problem we have in recruitment is that we're not in the Champions League and have only won the League Cup in the past 15 years. The only way we can get around this is buying top class players who we can get by sneaking under the radar like Van der Vaart which is very rare. Due to this we have to buy very young players with plenty of potential ala Bale, Lennon, Walker, Carrick etc as we have done whilst also buying players who are just under the top class bracket who have the potential to break into that above level ala Berbatov, Modric, Vertonghen, Lloris etc.

It's a very hard job but someone at the club has to do it and hats off to who ever does as it's a very hard juggle.

I don't find it dull. But then I like continental football that is a bit more purposeful and strategic.

I actually find the way English football has to be at 100mph to cover for the deficiencies in technique a bit embarrassing. It's always quite tragic in international competitions when opponents just give England time on the ball and watch us beat ourselves.

I also prefer Jean-Luc Godard to Michael Bay, so it might just be me.

I don't find it dull. But then I like continental football that is a bit more purposeful and strategic.

I actually find the way English football has to be at 100mph to cover for the deficiencies in technique a bit embarrassing. It's always quite tragic in international competitions when opponents just give England time on the ball and watch us beat ourselves.

I also prefer Jean-Luc Godard to Michael Bay, so it might just be me.

Worst.director.ever.

Just remembered Uwe Boll, so second worst.

I'm long past caring how we play as long as we win, it's not just the result it's that I'm not going to enjoy watching us however well we play, I'm to emotionally invested, we can be knocking it around like 1970 Brazil and I'm still gonna be primarily concerned with letting in a sloppy goal on the break, there is so much riding on every game now that carefree enjoyment is a thing of the past

even watching other team's games I can normally convince myself that one outcome is favorable to spurs so I'm then all in again on that

the only football I enjoy is the 5-a-side I play in

Funnily enough, I have always thought the same thing

as great as it was watching us at times in the 11/12 season the pain of missing out in the manner we did at the end kind of wrote it all off really.

i don't think the way we play, in terms of style, is as good as it is going to get under AVB - we have shown glimpses of entertaining football, although not at the level we did at times under Redknapp admittedly. i think we'll improve in this aspect and should that bring with it CL qualification and a trophy or two then i will be more than happy with sacrificing a little on the style front.

as great as it was watching us at times in the 11/12 season the pain of missing out in the manner we did at the end kind of wrote it all off really.

i don't think the way we play, in terms of style, is as good as it is going to get under AVB - we have shown glimpses of entertaining football, although not at the level we did at times under Redknapp admittedly. i think we'll improve in this aspect and should that bring with it CL qualification and a trophy or two then i will be more than happy with sacrificing a little on the style front.

I'm going to be totally honest....beside Norwich (home) i genuinely can't remember a game where we played brilliantly? and i'm talking about since AVB arrived and not just this season.

Back