• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

its a punt, he puts it out there now and its either forgotten about if we do well or he's a genius if we don't, a stopped clock etc etc

He could also have heard a more concrete source saying his earlier info was not as genuine as he thought and this is a way of back peddling.

these stories without genuine quotes really can be interpreted in so many ways that i don't really like to pay too much attention. Although i'll admit that if they fall in line with my way of thinking i'll be more ready to give them some thought :D

i think the Hoddle thing is solely because he was on sky saying smart things and two and two have been put together

feels more like 5 than 4 at this point to me

As much as I love the guy, I seriously doubt that. It would be entirely against character.

Glenn Hoddle would need to sort his barnet out before I would even consider accepting him back.

It makes almost no logical sense for Levy to want to appoint Hoddle. That's a big ego/character/name slotting into a job that's supposed to be subordinate (on paper) to the DoF and Chairman, and where the coach is meant to be somewhat expendable. Hoddle is an absolutely atrocious fit for that model. You could say Harry was too, but that was a crisis situation in many ways. There would be no such pressing crisis this summer to abandon Levy's wider objectives.

I would take Hoddle back, its a different dawn and I think the guy has a top job in him.

It makes almost no logical sense for Levy to want to appoint Hoddle. That's a big ego/character/name slotting into a job that's supposed to be subordinate (on paper) to the DoF and Chairman, and where the coach is meant to be somewhat expendable. Hoddle is an absolutely atrocious fit for that model. You could say Harry was too, but that was a crisis situation in many ways. There would be no such pressing crisis this summer to abandon Levy's wider objectives.

This is pretty much spot on, and kind of kills the idea once and for all to me.

Say he wants AVB gone now (for whatever reason) and he plans on waiting to bring his managerial target in during the summer. Who else would be able to get as caretaker that the crowd would take to? Hoddle is a DiMatteo not a Benitez.

Last edited:

why has this thing even come up?

AVB wins two on the trot , the second being a good display...albeit against the stand out bottom team. 3 points from second. 8 from the title. 23 games to go...

how does that equate to rumours about him getting dumped and hoddle being appointed?

why has this thing even come up?

AVB wins two on the trot , the second being a good display...albeit against the stand out bottom team. 3 points from second. 8 from the title. 23 games to go...

how does that equate to rumours about him getting dumped and hoddle being appointed?

Ask Duncan Castles...ask Levy apparently. Castles has been fairly reliable over the past year or so.

http://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/3875...boass-tottenham-future-still-in-doubt-as-levy

Villas-Boas's Tottenham future still in doubt as Levy tensions continue

Dec 9, 2013 4:00:00 PM

The Spurs chairman is considering Glenn Hoddle as a replacement for the Portuguese coach, who was unhappy with the club's purchases in the summer transfer market

EXCLUSIVE
By Duncan Castles

The relationship between Andre Villas-Boas and Daniel Levy has deteriorated to the point where Tottenham's manager is not expected to remain at the club beyond the summer, Goal can reveal.

According to a close friend, the Portuguese coach believes that he would already have been sacked by Levy had his contract not included a prohibitive penalty clause.

However, the scale of the pay-off, which commits Tottenham to ensuring that Villas-Boas earns an annual salary of at least €3 million (£2.5m) net until the summer of 2014, will have reduced by the end of the season. With that in mind, Spurs' hierarchy are already considering successors to the Portuguese coach.

Levy's advisers have floated the extraordinary strategy of replacing a coach who led the club to their highest Premier League points total in his first season in charge with Glenn Hoddle; himself dismissed as Tottenham boss a decade ago and out of top-level coaching since 2006.

For now, the chairman's preference is that Villas-Boas resigns his position, avoiding the cost of compensation, club sources say.

The long-standing discord between Villas-Boas and Levy was exacerbated by disagreement over the reinvestment of Gareth Bale's record €100m (£83.8m) transfer fee. Some of the club's seven summer signings were acquired against the manager's advice and the squad left imbalanced by the failure to follow it.

Integrating new players into the team has proved problematic, culminating in a 6-0 defeat at Emirates Marketing Project in November. Two away victories and a draw with Manchester United since then have moved Tottenham to within three points of a Champions League qualifying place without resolving the tension between board and manager.

A lack of support over Emmanuel Adebayor's behaviour within the dressing room – the under-performing striker has clashed with Villas-Boas on more than one occasion – and a refusal to help implement some of the manager's preparation methods have angered the 36-year-old.

It is also thought that Levy would have been happy for Villas-Boas take up a lucrative offer to coach Paris Saint-Germain last summer, with Tottenham entitled to £12m compensation from the French champions.

Ask Duncan Castles...ask Levy apparently. Castles has been fairly reliable over the past year or so.

Fortunately though, fairly reliable in the world of football journalism simply means having been caught in fewer bare-faced lies than the rest of his ilk.

Could just be a way of dragging the story out over the season - after a couple of decent results they can't really ramp up the AVB out line so by saying this it gives themselves ammunition later on.

In fairness im sure the most likely scenario, if the twitter stiff is in someway genuine, is that Levy will assess the situation at the end of the season as im sure most managers have their performances evaluated in this way. If we're languishing in mid table with an incoherant mess of a team and players not reaching their potential then questions will need to be asked.

It's exactly that.

And likely Mourinho feels under pressure now since it has been pointed out he's doing worse this season than AVB did at Chelsea. So he gets his minion to try and deflect attention away from that.

I would take Hoddle back, its a different dawn and I think the guy has a top job in him.

Hoddle hasn't even been getting the championship jobs he's been applying for. He's been out of the game for 7 years now since being sacked by Wolves.

Say he wants AVB gone now (for whatever reason) and he plans on waiting to bring his managerial target in during the summer. Who else would be able to get as caretaker that the crowd would take to? Hoddle is a DiMatteo not a Benitez.

Well, I'm taking the Castles' story at face value that Levy would be waiting till summer anyway if he wants rid of AVB, so I don't think your scenario arises. But even if it did, Hoddle coming in as caretaker probably makes even less sense than him being the permanent replacement. Just way too many unknown variables and possible disasters for Levy to risk it IMO. As for who we would get in such a scenario, that is such a hideous decision that it's probably reason enough in itself for Levy to stick with AVB at least till summer.

Hoddle hasn't even been getting the championship jobs he's been applying for. He's been out of the game for 7 years now since being sacked by Wolves.

He resigned from Wolves didn't he? Maybe before he got pushed.

Out of the game wouldn't worry me so much as he's still been pretty hands on (until recently he's been doing far more media work) at his Academy.

you know what. Even though i think this is crazy...is there a chance that the board attribute our current market share to the TYPE of football we have been playing pre-AVB?

It would be unfair considering the personell AVB has at his disposal right now...BUT they might be thinking that we can play more attractive football with the current crop of players we have now.

maybe thats whats going on. Our branding is not as successful as projected to they may be looking for a change for that reason

its a shot in the sark but it could explain it.

He resigned from Wolves didn't he? Maybe before he got pushed.

Out of the game wouldn't worry me so much as he's still been pretty hands on (until recently he's been doing far more media work) at his Academy.

Yeah you are right. The fans had turned against him though and the board had stopped giving him any money.

It's a bit different coaching rich people's children on the beach, to working in the highest pressured league in the world.

I do rate Hoddle, but he needs to be coaching England U21s or in charge of the big academy in Burton. His time as a frontline coach has long passed.

Yeah you are right. The fans had turned against him though and the board had stopped giving him any money.

It's a bit different coaching rich people's children on the beach, to working in the highest pressured league in the world.

I do rate Hoddle, but he needs to be coaching England U21s or in charge of the big academy in Burton. His time as a frontline coach has long passed.

Ha, I get what you mean but it is a bit different to that! I agree and to be honest I think getting him involved at Burton would have been the best idea.

you know what. Even though i think this is crazy...is there a chance that the board attribute our current market share to the TYPE of football we have been playing pre-AVB?

It would be unfair considering the personell AVB has at his disposal right now...BUT they might be thinking that we can play more attractive football with the current crop of players we have now.

maybe thats whats going on. Our branding is not as successful as projected to they may be looking for a change for that reason

its a shot in the sark but it could explain it.

The club aren't on the stock market anymore, so we don't have short-term valuation fluctuations like that.

And how does become perfection by shooting ourselves in the foot and kick starting the miserable groundhog day of the past 20 years help improve that?

Even if it was a concern, we're also not going to get a more marketable coach than AVB. Luis Enrique, Murat Yakin, Fabio Capello etc - they are all going to be great for branding!

Some of the club's seven summer signings were acquired against the manager's advice and the squad left imbalanced by the failure to follow it.

I don't get this part. We're just one LB and maybe a striker away from having a great squad. Or is it just that he got Lamela instead of Willian?

Back