• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

So if we finish 15th he should still have a job?

It's more a case of wondering what Levy expects? He hires a coach to build a long term project. He sells his best player and gives him a load of new ones and almost anyone who's anyone in football says coming from outside English football takes 6 months to settle. Within this 6 months, we are 3 points off of second.

Of course if we tumble to 15th something will have gone very wrong, but if we beat Liverpool on Sunday we are level with second. Why on earth should there be plans already to sack him? Madness.

I think if this is happening then Hoddle would be just a caretaker ala Pleat.

Also who else can he bring in that wont be booed? Its a PR decision not a footballing one.

As if someone as astute as Levy would make a decision like that now with not even half the season gone.

It would be hilarious if we finished 4th and sacked AVB after doing the same to Harry. Absolutely hilarious.

hmmm yeh so how exactly would you be able to gauge whether or not he's progressing in the long term plan if we're languishing in 15th?

It'll be obvious within the club. Burkinshaw got relegated in his first season, but everyone could see the structural reforms he was making. He obviously then became our 2nd/3rd successful manager in our history (cf Rowe) with 3 major trophies.

As if someone as astute as Levy would make a decision like that now with not even half the season gone.

The fact that he's so astute leads me to believe he probably is doing it (or at least thinking about it). I'd rather he draws up a list of alternatives now should things turn sour rather then wait it out, sack AVB, and then start panicking in the summer.

We always need a back up plan even if things are going swimingly and we're top of the table.

I wouldn't. Neither am I claiming that I could.

I don't get your point?

I asked if AVB should still be in a job if we finish 15th to which you replied "if he's progressing in the long term plan, yes". I then ask how could you possibly gauge this if we finish 15th and you're saying you don't know?

The fact that he's so astute leads me to believe he probably is doing it (or at least thinking about it). I'd rather he draws up a list of alternatives now should things turn sour rather then wait it out, sack AVB, and then start panicking in the summer.

We always need a back up plan even if things are going swimingly and we're top of the table.

In that case (and I agree) I'd expect him to already have had a plan B in place for months right? In which case, the story is still nonsense.

I don't get your point?

I asked if AVB should still be in a job if we finish 15th to which you replied "if he's progressing in the long term plan, yes". I then ask how could you possibly gauge this if we finish 15th and you're saying you don't know?

Yep. I'm not privy to the huge amount of information required to make that kind of decision so why would I try? We do know from quotes at the time of his employment that both AVB and Levy see the appointment as the basis upon which they can build for the future so there's clearly more involved than the tiny proportion of that information we, as fans, can see.

It'll be obvious within the club. Burkinshaw got relegated in his first season, but everyone could see the structural reforms he was making. He obviously then became our 2nd/3rd successful manager in our history (cf Rowe) with 3 major trophies.

No GB it wouldn't be obvious in the slightest. It's a money game now, everything revolves around money and not much else. If we finish 15th you think Levy will be thinking 'oh well i can see what AVB is trying to implement so i'll keep him'? i can tell you he won't. He'll sack him as soon as the final whistle on the last day of the season is blown.

Yep. I'm not privy to the huge amount of information required to make that kind of decision so why would I try? We do know from quotes at the time of his employment that both AVB and Levy see the appointment as the basis upon which they can build for the future so there's clearly more involved than the tiny proportion of that information we, as fans, can see.

Pull up one of Levys quotes after appointing Jol, Santini, Ramos, Hoddle, Redknapp and i'm sure there's a bit about long term success and building for the future. Didn't stop him getting rid in a ruthless fashion (Santini being the exception). The point i'm making is that i really wouldn't pay much attention to what he said when appointing them.

Pull up one of Levys quotes after appointing Jol, Santini, Ramos, Hoddle, Redknapp and i'm sure there's a bit about long term success and building for the future. Didn't stop him getting rid in a ruthless fashion (Santini being the exception). The point i'm making is that i really wouldn't pay much attention to what he said when appointing them.

To be fair it was pretty clear Harry wasn't sacked purely for finishing 4th...he attained some relative success with us but it was obvious he wasn't the 'type' of manager Levy wanted. He seemed to get that with AVB. I don't know how anyone could take him seriously if he goes ahead and sacks him too. We would be an absolute joke.

It seems to all stem from the fact the board expected us to be alongside Arsenal this year on account of all the transition at the other clubs...while completely disregarding our own. Madness.

Pull up one of Levys quotes after appointing Jol, Santini, Hoddle, Redknapp and i'm sure there's a bit about long term success and building for the future. Didn't stop him getting rid in a ruthless fashion (Santini being the exception). The point i'm making is that i really wouldn't pay much attention to what he said when appointing them.

Hoddle was clearly a way of getting the fans onside from the outset - a very clever one too.

I certainly don't remember any comment like that about Jol, from memory it was more about how we were able to keep continuity because of the system in place - that Jol was a product of that system rather than the architect.

I don't remember any comment about that with Redknapp either - those comments were mostly about shoring things up and "getting the best out of the players available" etc.

There were comments like that about Santini though, who I genuinely think was brought in with a view to a long-term plan but Arnesen's view was clearly different.

Could just be a way of dragging the story out over the season - after a couple of decent results they can't really ramp up the AVB out line so by saying this it gives themselves ammunition later on.

In fairness im sure the most likely scenario, if the twitter stiff is in someway genuine, is that Levy will assess the situation at the end of the season as im sure most managers have their performances evaluated in this way. If we're languishing in mid table with an incoherant mess of a team and players not reaching their potential then questions will need to be asked.

its a punt, he puts it out there now and its either forgotten about if we do well or he's a genius if we don't, a stopped clock etc etc

its a punt, he puts it out there now and its either forgotten about if we do well or he's a genius if we don't, a stopped clock etc etc

Castle's was peddling the 'Levy is thinking about Hoddle to replace AVB' story only a week or two ago. I think there's something in it. He's getting too invested in it to hope it will be forgotten about.

i think the Hoddle thing is solely because he was on sky saying smart things and two and two have been put together

feels more like 5 than 4 at this point to me

Back