• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

I'll admit to having felt as though I was losing the will to live during some of our home games this season, and, with the players we've got, in common with some others, I can't believe that our style manages to be quite this stultifying without that being by design. We've seen evidence that it doesn't necessarily need to be so, and I have to confess that I'm at a loss to understand why we can't relax the terms more often and get ourselves into more comfortable places. We do seem to be at a certain stage in an experiment, like it or not. The question is whether we care to hang around for the result, bearing in mind that it may turn out to be a big, fat negative. Clearly, some are on board and some aren't. I'm genuinely ambivalent at present. I can see it improving as the pieces all start to fall into place; equally, I can see it all ending in tears before bedtime. In terms of the prospects for this season, I really don't know what to think at this point. I think I trust AVB to sort it, though.

Last edited:
***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

From the *put your tongue behind your bottom lip, screw your face up a bit and go "uuuuurrrrrgghhh"* thread:

Rossi22 said:
Got Baled out last season, now getting fluky penalties this. Would have significantly lower points tallies otherwise, he just fools people because he has a nice beard and makes up big words.

This isn't aimed at you Rossi, but this is why I don't think AVB can ever succeed properly in the eyes of football fans.

As a group, fans are largely working class and poorly educated. With that often comes an inherent distrust of those who are intelligent, educated, well presented, eloquent, etc.

That natural distrust will mean that AVB will always struggle to win over a noisy minority of fans no matter how well he does.

I'm not sure there's really a criticism there though - I'm guilty of the reverse when it comes to the likes of Redknapp. I have a natural distrust of fat, stupid people, and they have to be better than others to win me over.

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

An interesting quote from Dembele on why he lost his place under AVB this season:

Unfortunately for Dembele, he seems to have recently lost his place at White Hart Lane, withAndre Villas-Boas telling Dembele he prefers the more defensive Paulinho, and Sandro in the midfield.

“I can not be satisfied with it, of course, I just want to play as many games,” said Dembele. “The coach explained that he makes a tactical choice, he wants more defensive players in midfield.”

So Dembele confirms that AVB has moved us to an even more defensive stance than last season. Do some still believe that we're going through a "stage"? AVZb "prefers" more defensive players in midfield.

I think this is a real shame as Sandro/Dembele looked a real balanced/effective unit at times last season and was the catalyst behind our good run of form beginning with the win at Old Trafford.

I posted this a couple of weeks ago or more but will say it again, in bullet points.

1) AVB, as a 36 year old learning his trade under huge pressure, is absolutely making sure we are tight defensively first. And that is smart. Because look at the whinging as it is now…imagine what that would be like if we were leaking goals like a sieve!!!!!
2) It is obvious that whilst he has 7 new players to integrate, as well as the necessity of finding some 35+ goals he does not have this season (Bale and Dempsey) his stance has been to make us very difficult to beat whilst he works out the best way to attack.
3) He has absolutely come under more pressure in the last few weeks, and very unfairly IMO, thus yes, being the type of guy he appears to be, I'd say he's feeling pressure and thus getting even tighter.
4) I believe if he is TRUSTED he will DELIVER on ALL fronts in the coming months.
5) I am DELIGHTED that Dembele isn't happy he is not one of the first names on the sheet. Fantastic. Competition.
6) Paulinho gets into the box a lot more than people seem to realize. He is a more direct footballer than Dembele, and for me, that is the MAJOR difference between them (although I tab him as much as Dembele with the Newcash goal, that bottled-tackle in the middle was simply awful and cannot happen again).
7) I wholly trust AVB to find the creative keys/ways to get goals in the back of the net. In fairness, we should've beaten Saudi Sportswashing Machine by 3 or 4, and in games such as Norwich, we carved them open time and time again only for poor decisions/poor finishing.

The biggest problem we face is the restlessness of small factions of our supporters IMO...

We're still waiting on the 433 AVB is supposed to prefer because he played it one season in Portugal ;)

Actually the way i see it AVB is managing as if he's still in Portugal. He has his team set up to do well against rival teams, hasn't put any thought into playing lesser teams and expects us to pummel them into submission by default.

Have you visited the You Are The Manager thread? Go on. I want to see what you would do and how you'd do it. I always thought a key/core start to winning matches was to have control of the ball a lot more than the other fellas...

More defensive players in midfield? wow.

So to all the posters that kept asking why Dembele plays so deep and why he doesn't get forward as much...it's because he's been instructed to do so by the coach. The funny thing is Dembele is far more defensively solid than Paulinho anyway but like i've been saying...AVB loves Paulinho and the likelihood he will be dropped is very small indeed.

The pair of them gave Saudi Sportswashing Machine a goal, starting with Moussa forgetting he was 15 yards deeper than he thought and attempting to dribble from just outside his own box. That started it. Then Paulinho bottled the tackle which really ****ed me off (and I love the bloke)…comedy of errors…

From the *put your tongue behind your bottom lip, screw your face up a bit and go "uuuuurrrrrgghhh"* thread:

This isn't aimed at you Rossi, but this is why I don't think AVB can ever succeed properly in the eyes of football fans.

As a group, fans are largely working class and poorly educated. With that often comes an inherent distrust of those who are intelligent, educated, well presented, eloquent, etc.

That natural distrust will mean that AVB will always struggle to win over a noisy minority of fans no matter how well he does.

I'm not sure there's really a criticism there though - I'm guilty of the reverse when it comes to the likes of Redknapp. I have a natural distrust of fat, stupid people, and they have to be better than others to win me over.

Similarly I think some of us are still believing in AVB because he looks the part.
I was fullly behind AVB until recently because he looks the part.

They feel all the points can be discussed in this thread

but then why not merge it together

alot of points and entertainment is lost in that other thread now.

i might just copy and past a couple of goodies

but then why not merge it together

alot of points and entertainment is lost in that other thread now.

i might just copy and past a couple of goodies

I'm getting bored of saying this but if you want to discuss how we moderate the board please PM one of us.

beginning of the season, when Sandro was unfit it was Dembele paired with Paulhino - aren't these quotes suggesting that AVB prefers to field a more defensive CM next to Paulhino than to play both him and Dembele together? he hasn't said that Pualhino is defensive - we can see with our own eyes that's not the case (if anything Pualhino is more attack minded than Dembele)

Sandro becomes fit > AVB wants a DM ialongside Paulhino or Dembele > Paulhino deemed the better (in form) player so Dembele makes way for the more defensive midfielder.

I agree, this is what it says to me.

And I disagree that replacing Dembele with someone more clearly defensive like Sandro necessarily makes us a more defensive team. A proper defensive midfielder like Sandro can give others more freedom to attack.

Paulinho is not a natural defensive midfielder and he's not been playing as a defensive midfielder when next to Sandro/Capoue at least. When playing next to Dembele the two of them have more or less interchanged and taken turns in the different roles. Replacing that with a more dedicated defensive player like Sandro and a more dedicated box to box player in Paulinho doesn't make us more defensive either.

We're still waiting on the 433 AVB is supposed to prefer because he played it one season in Portugal ;)

Actually the way i see it AVB is managing as if he's still in Portugal. He has his team set up to do well against rival teams, hasn't put any thought into playing lesser teams and expects us to pummel them into submission by default.

He's had 73 games in charge. He has his 4-2-3-1 system which he used at Chelsea and now he's using here. He's been trying to get it to work for 2 and a half seasons, no sign of it ever doing so.

He's had 73 games in charge. He has his 4-2-3-1 system which he used at Chelsea and now he's using here. He's been trying to get it to work for 2 and a half seasons, no sign of it ever doing so.

If I accepted every premise and assumption you make for the sake of argument where do you get two and a half seasons from?

Just because Sky Sports has to show our formation as a 4-2-3-1 to make all the pretty graphics fit, it doesn't mean that's what we play.

In order to play a 4-2-3-1 you need one of the following:

2 DMs
1 DM and 1 deep-lying playmaker

We don't own a deep-lying playmaker and we've only got 2 DMs in our entire squad - Sandro & Capoue. They have never (to my knowledge) played together.

Just because Sky Sports has to show our formation as a 4-2-3-1 to make all the pretty graphics fit, it doesn't mean that's what we play.

2 DMs

We don't own a deep-lying playmaker and we've only got 2 DMs in our entire squad - Sandro & Capoue. They have never (to my knowledge) played together.

Some might argue that Paulinho and Dembele have been deployed as DM's. Dembele certainly has and Paulinho has also been playing in a deep position.

Some might argue that Paulinho and Dembele have been deployed as DM's. Dembele certainly has and Paulinho has also been playing in a deep position.

Some might argue that the sky is green - it would make them very wrong though. I'd argue that neither have - hence our improved performances with Sandro in the team.

Dembele has been picking the ball up from deep but not staying there. Paulinho's been playing in front of whoever he has paired with - whether that's Sandro or Dembele.

**EDIT**

The below picture looks to me like the very definition of a 'box to box' midfielder. In fact he goes past that line of the edge of the opposition's box quite a few times.
0G3Hb.png

2 DMs

I disagree, perhaps pedantically.

I think what we have been playing can be described as a 4-2-3-1 and that a 4-2-3-1 can contain a defensive midfielder and a box to box player (Sandro and Paulinho for example) or a "double pivot" system (Dembele and Paulinho). (Double pivot described by zonal marking as: The use of two holding midfielders, taking it in turns to move forward, rather than one being given the job of staying in a defensive position at all times.)

This assumes that formations are more described by how a team defends when organized than how it looks when attacking. When we have been defending it's been with two deep midfielders considerably deeper than the one player in the hole (Eriksen/Holtby) most of the time.

Some might argue that the sky is green - it would make them very wrong though. I'd argue that neither have - hence our improved performances with Sandro in the team.

Dembele has been picking the ball up from deep but not staying there. Paulinho's been playing in front of whoever he has paired with - whether that's Sandro or Dembele.

**EDIT**

The below picture looks to me like the very definition of a 'box to box' midfielder. In fact he goes past that line of the edge of the opposition's box quite a few times.
0G3Hb.png

This I agree with fully. The description of Paulinho as a defensive midfielder or his role for us being that of a defensive midfielder continues to baffle me. It's been brought up quite a few times and I'm yet to see anyone put together a to me even half way cogent argument supporting this assertion, although that doesn't mean one hasn't been made of course.

Last edited:

tbh i don't care one bit for these dashboard stats and prefer to use my eyes. Paulinho collects the ball from deep an awful lot...yes he also bursts forward i agree and yes there were games where he played slightly forward but he's also been used as a defensive player and that is clear to me.

How anyone can argue that Dembele isn't being deployed as a dm i will never know. Picking it up from deep but not staying there? that's not true.

tbh i don't care one bit for these dashboard stats and prefer to use my eyes. Paulinho collects the ball from deep an awful lot...yes he also bursts forward i agree and yes there were games where he played slightly forward but he's also been used as a defensive player and that is clear to me.

How anyone can argue that Dembele isn't being deployed as a dm i will never know. Picking it up from deep but not staying there? that's not true.

Those dashboard stats are what you see with your eyes but with the bias and memory failings removed.

Vs West Ham:
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszon...er-stats/39104/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

Vs Chelsea:
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszon...er-stats/39104/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

Vs Cardiff:

In all of those he was the most deep-lying of the two midfielders we used but as you can see was a long way from being played as a DM in any of them. The only match I could find where he was played as a DM was Saudi Sportswashing Machine and he was taken off pretty early then.

Back