• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Replying to some of your points Suiyha (bold-face replies)...I have left the training ground one alone because it is a matter of pure opinion, but I would say anyone moving house or office, even when it's an upgrade, would attest that a 'bedding in/transitional period' is natural.

So, in the spirit of debate my friend...

The fact is neither manager has done as well thus far this season.

You don't replace Luka Modric. You find players to compensate/help you attain another type of midfield dominance. Remember, AVB wanted him at Chelski. Dembele is superb, but he is not a Modric-type player, which means our side has to get used to playing in a different way. Dempsey and Sigurdsson allowed us to sell VdV, and I'm not overly disappointed. As great as Rafa could be, we relied on him to just 'conjure' out of nothing too much. I would've been happy if he'd been here as an option, but not as THE option. So in that sense, happy with that situation. As for the filth signing two players that were massive backwards steps from VP, well mate, unless they spunked 60 mill on Falcao or Villa, that's how it was always going to be! I find it intriguing that you failed to mention Cazorla...not a bad player is he?! As for Chelski, they signed Oscar, Hazard, Marin and Moses to add to players such as Torres and Mata. They let Lukakau go on loan. They have spent massive amounts of money, thus if they haven't got it right it's because of the balance of their players versus decisions to let projected replacements play elsewhere. This then becomes a footballing matter. Theirs has not been due to lack of options, it's been due to some bizarre choices.

King was irreplaceable. I agree, last season, once he hit the wall, he hit it hard. It's a shame. The injury was being managed very well, and then he just overplayed a bit. Verts was a very clever signing and helped us maintain some quality, but I would dispute that we have moved forward more than managed to find a quality replacement for a player who really only started hitting the brick wall in January. Arsenal sold Song because Wenger, for some bizarre reason, felt that Diaby would be fit! He loves Diaby, and I can see why, for when he's fit he's excellent, but alas, it was not to be. Still, he has Wheelchair, Arteta, Cazorla, Ramsey, Oxeldade-Chamberlin and Walcott, so I'm not crying for him. Again, he made choices. Remember, AVB did not have ANY choice with Modric.

Sorry mate, you're wrong here. The stats show that Ade has started 4 Premier League games and come on as sub in 5. That's 9 out of 17. Not nearly most of our games. Dembele has started 8 Prem games and come on as sub in 2. That's 10 out of 17, a little closer as it is barely over half. In each case, take the sub appearances out and it is less than half. So far as Sandro is concerned, I love him, but we don't know whether AVB would've played Parker over him (player of the season last season remember!) and we will never know because AVB didn't have the choice and had to get on with it. again, I agree that it's turned out well (and again, I love Sandro) but the manager had no choice but to get on with it and make it work. BTW, Sandro didn't always miss games last season because of injury.

I don't want to discuss the merits or not of the goons. Personally, I feel we are a better side, something I am sure would've been proven during the derby had Adebayor not been sent off, but it's academic because they ended up coating us! What I will say is that Wenger has been there for what, 17 years or something? One thing the club cannot complain about, is continuity. They have that. They have continuity and fluency with regards to management and philosophy at the club. In fact, they've been consistently under-achieving for 7 seasons! I would again say that everything they're going through has thus been about choice! I understand they have money to send, so if Wenger doesn't then its because he doesn't want to. Having said that, Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla weren't bargain-basement. The situation there is VASTLY different to ours.

Liverpool would be the closest comparison for me (although even there Rogers came into a club who lost LESS in the summer and less to the treatment room than we did and have) but let's look at it. Lucas is a loss for them, agreed. Sahin does not make them tick mate, sorry, that's just not really true is it. I would agree that having to use Henderson for much more than running to make the tea at HT is a tragedy, so Rogers gets a sympathy vote there, and he also gets one in the striking dept as he was absolutely shafted, so yes, agreed. I think Allen will come good for them, and I think Rogers is working very hard to build something. He does still have, in Suarez, Gerrard, that prick Agger and 'possibly' Johnson (I say 'possibly because I don't like him personally) 4 players of supposed top top quality. But I would agree that they do not have as good a squad as us.

Again, with Chelski it's choices!!!! Cahill and Luiz, between them, cost over thirty million quid I believe! Somewhere in that range anyway. And now Luiz is being used in midfield anyway ;-)...Lampard's experience could be the same as missing Parker's, except that it's largely been a choice not to play Lampard as opposed to a forced change, as for Sturridge, I'm not sure what the story is there. Has he been injured? But they've had options. Saudi Sportswashing Machine's injury problems have been bad. I feel sorry for Pardew. So yes, absolutely agree, not even close to last season due to injuries it would appear.

AVB doesn't ever complain, but he wanted Moutinho and didn't get him. Rumour suggests he also wanted Willian and we didn't get him. Rumour also suggested The Hulk and we didn't get him, though of those three that's the one that I would've thought was an absolute non-starter due to his astronomical wages! I also know he wanted Damiao, and the reason Ade came late was because we were still trying to get the Damiao deal done (a player he wanted and who we had provisionally struck a deal for pre-Olympics but Daniel dithered and the next thing, more money thus we didn't get it done). We did some good business for sure, but two of those players were in before he was and Dempsey was not a first-choice target. The goons and Song? Wenger made a choice, probably based on the fact that Song wasn't as important as some felt he was. You even said yourself that they were 'as close to a one-man team as you'd seen' last season mate, and that man was RVP.

Something that we have not had to deal with that our rivals have is a full scale fan revolt. Sure, we had a bit of booing at WHL in the early part of the season, it's nothing compared to the protests at Arsenal and Chelsea and the pressure from the media that has been thrown their way.

Most supporters have been smart, I agree, but some have simply not been able to move on and have dogged AVB's every step and move with some amazing criticisms without taking into context his situations. With regards to media pressure, I beg to differ. The man was under it every week for the first few months, with the media literally begging him to fail and looking for every excuse to try and make him crack/blow his gasket. The reason the pressure is off him is because of the work HE has done. You want a manager who's avoided pressure? Brendan Rogers. If he was anybody else, sorry, he'd have been massacred by now. With regards to Wenger, I think the criticisms are frankly ludicrous but I welcome them :) and as for cheatski, well, what can I say to that except yes, it helps when your rivals are run by madman.

The ONLY time people raise ANY of the things that AVB has had to contend with is when he is on the receiving end of ludicrous slaggings and observations which are made in the moment and without ANY context. Your spine...come ON duder! Lloris didn't play half the games due to some careful management, Daws is not a first-choice or has been hurt for most of the season, Walker has been until recently in some terrible terrible form (to the point where half the board wanted to drop him!). I agree, when fully fit and playing more than a few games together, Lloris, Walker, Verts, Lennon, Sandro, Bale and Defoe is a GREAT side (I don't count Caulker yet because I think we'll need to see whether he or Younes is considered the starter, but I agree, a great young prospect) but we have rarely been able to play them in back to back games. The fact remains that of all our rivals, we had the biggest upheaval in the summer. I don't think you could deny that fact.

You see, this final bit is where I realize we just view things with a fundamental difference. Last season Liverpool and Chelski were also not pulling up trees at this point of the season. Actually, neither were the goons! We've crept on them strongly the last two seasons, and what I think AVB deserves credit for is continuing that creeping up whilst having to deal with significant team shuffles from last season's starting 11 AND replacing an old philosophy with his own. THAT, to me, is worthy of praise.

I italicized a sentence of yours I did not understand. I'd love to know what you meant by it.

Best...

Sorry Steff, but Modric is not in the same class as Van Persie. I know they play in different positions, but Van Persie can win matches on his own, to say he has the midas touch would be an under statement! Modric is missed at WHL that's obvious, but were not the only team to have lost key players. They also lost Song who provided plenty of assists for the rapist last season.

I agree 100% Levy let AVB down by not getting Moutinho. But Rodgers was also mugged off by his bosses at Liverpool. He wouldn't have got rid of Carroll if he knew that he'd be down to 1 healthy senior striker.

As for injuries, once again, we are not the only ones who have suffered. You may argue ours have been worse, but it's all subjective. Liverpool as I mentioned have 1 available striker, Lucas missed virtually all of last season and hasn't featured much this season. Arsenal have had two keepers injured, plus Gibbs, Wheelchair, Diaby and Rosicky injured. Adebayor hasn't played because AVB hasn't been picking him and rightly so IMO, not down to injury.

I think AVB has done a good job so far, not a great job, not a bad job either. I've said all along that 5th place would be a good achievement for his first season, I won't go mad if we don't finish above Arsenal even though I feel we are slightly better because we haven't done it in so long, I really will be impressed if AVB pulls it off.

I'm all for fans getting behind the new manager, it would be stupid not to. But you say there are a number of fans who can't get over the sacking of the previous manager, probably true, but it works both ways, a lot of the fans who disliked Redknapp will leap to the defence of AVB anytime anything he does is questioned, you included. I'm still in the jury is out camp as to whether he will be a long term success at Spurs, but so far, he's done well.

Sorry Steff, but Modric is not in the same class as Van Persie. I know they play in different positions, but Van Persie can win matches on his own, to say he has the midas touch would be an under statement! Modric is missed at WHL that's obvious, but were not the only team to have lost key players. They also lost Song who provided plenty of assists for the rapist last season.

I agree 100% Levy let AVB down by not getting Moutinho. But Rodgers was also mugged off by his bosses at Liverpool. He wouldn't have got rid of Carroll if he knew that he'd be down to 1 healthy senior striker.

As for injuries, once again, we are not the only ones who have suffered. You may argue ours have been worse, but it's all subjective. Liverpool as I mentioned have 1 available striker, Lucas missed virtually all of last season and hasn't featured much this season. Arsenal have had two keepers injured, plus Gibbs, Wheelchair, Diaby and Rosicky injured. Adebayor hasn't played because AVB hasn't been picking him and rightly so IMO, not down to injury.

I think AVB has done a good job so far, not a great job, not a bad job either. I've said all along that 5th place would be a good achievement for his first season, I won't go mad if we don't finish above Arsenal even though I feel we are slightly better because we haven't done it in so long, I really will be impressed if AVB pulls it off.

I missed Modric the player but not Modric the man, thus far, eventhough I still like a more direct replacement player, but Dembele has greatly impressed me both on and off the field.

I guess the relative importance of Modric and RVP to their respective club is also a subjective opinion. As our team's two most important players last season were probably Bale and Modric, we didn't really rely on Ade/Defoe/Saha. Whereas, the Scum relied heavily on RVP's goals. Yes, we can argue that the Scum failed to adequately replace Song, but they have tried to fill two of the three holes (yeah, may be they would fare better had they spent the Podolski and Giroud monies on one super striker, but it's hard to do so in real world), and when compared to the other two holes left by Fad and RVP, and considering the back-up choice (albeit injury-proned), it is much easier to understand their decision. Also, bear in mind, we have to turn-over (either by choice, new manager/style or forced, Modric/King) the team in many other positions, hence I personally think in regards to the key-player loss, we probably suffered more than the Scum.

Rodgers had mostly used one striker (Graham) at Swansea, and somehow I don't think he really rates Carroll as various sources showed that he even wanted to sell Carroll (not loan), so I don't think Rodgers was mugged by his board. Fenway has released a number of indicators that they won't spend as lavishly as in years past when Rodgers took over. This compared to us, when the new manager took over, he would know that Modric is a gone case but he would have most of the funds generated to get replacement. Yet, we ended up breaking even (or even a net transfer surplus on paper, depends on sources) and Loserpool with a net deficit (only major departure was Adam). Action speaks louder than words.

I don't really want to go into too much on the injury front, this is a really subjective area. As we could also argue even if players such as Gibbs or Rosicky are fit, W*nker will use them as his first choice or not. I do agree Ade's missed games were probably not merely due to enforced injuries (and suspension!).

Last edited:
Last season the bare minimum was 3rd. Ourselves and Arsenal were close last year but Arsenal probably were the better side due to Van Persie, but there wasn't much in it. We are weaker than last season, but I think Arsenal dropped in quality further than we did. Chelsea are back from a terrible Premier League season last year.

So what does the above mean? It means that we are favourites for 4th. I'm not sure it's a bare minimum requirement, that for me is 6th. But I genuinely believe that right now we do have the 4th best first XI in the Premiership....and probably the 4th best squad too. So 4th is the expectation, but not the bare minimum.

Hi P & R - we're not favs for 4th, Arsenal are and rightly so - we're favs for 5th.

Answers in bold mate within your quote block...

First off mate, I did not make any comparison between RVP and Luka directly, I referred to them with regards to their importance to their specific sides. Modric was the fulcrum point of all our play for two seasons. I acknowledged RVP's relative importance. Again, we go back to choices with regards to Song, and my point was pretty detailed on that front yet you haven't commented on it directly, thus I won't repeat it more than to say it stands as i wrote before mate.

Again, not sure what point you're trying to make I expressed sympathy for Rogers!!!!!!!!!

Again I'm not sure what your point is. Further, what has the injury to Lucas last season got to do with this? Again, I have expressed sympathy for Liverpool, something frankly scarce on this board ;-)...yes the Goons have had those injuries, but they have also had Cazorla, Walcott, Ramsey, Oxelade Chamberlain, Jenkinson, the list goes on. And again you've chosen to ignore the choices that their manager of 17-odd years made with his comings and goings in the summer! His club, his decisions, for 17 years. BTW, Ade hasn't played that much because for whatever reasons you wish to believe (injury/toys from pram) he was unavailable to AVB for large patches of the season thus far. He has not been fully fit for all 17 games this season, let alone half of them.

I'm all for fans getting behind the new manager, it would be stupid not to. But you say there are a number of fans who can't get over the sacking of the previous manager, probably true, but it works both ways, a lot of the fans who disliked Redknapp will leap to the defence of AVB anytime anything he does is questioned, you included. I'm still in the jury is out camp as to whether he will be a long term success at Spurs, but so far, he's done well.

You view it as you wish mate. I do defend him only when he is ludicrously nit-picked, without context, after a handful games as he was being nit-picked. Honestly, he's getting the same level of support and belief I gave Harry when he was appointed, and continued to give Harry through most of the shennanigans; I reached a breaking point. Give it some time and yes, perhaps criticisms and observations will be fully justified. But for now, it is my opinion that given the CONTEXT of his arrival/situation, the summer comings and goings, the sheer pressure on him due to his Chelski past plus the high-expectations, he has done very very well indeed.

I don't have time to reply to all the individual points again, I feel I've put my points across already and there's no point repeating them. What I'll add, is that the players I listed as injury casualties were players who have been available for less than half of the games, hence why I didn't count Adebayor and Dembele as they have played in more games than they haven't. Whereas Arsenal have had five first choice players miss more games than they have been available for. Hence why I feel their injury problems have been worse than ours.

Every team has injury problems every season. You just tend to notice and whinge about your own ones more. Let's go through some from some other seasons:

09/10 - Modric broke his leg and missed half the season, Lennon missed half the season, King missed half the season, Woodgate who had been first choice for the previous year and a half missed practically the entire season. We still finished 4th.

10/11 - King missed practically the entire season, Huddlestone who had started almost every game the year before missed most of the season, Defoe broke his foot and spent a good few months out, Bale missed a huge chunk of the second half of the season

11/12 - Gallas had been first choice the year before but missed most of the season, Dawson missed most of the season, Huddlestone missed most of the season, Sandro and Kranjcar missed huge chunks of the first half of the season so we couldn't rotate the squad, which meant our players tired in the second half. Lennon and Parker spent time out injured in the second half too.

It happens every year. To everybody. I will not accept the injuries as some sort of get out of jail card for poor tactical performances from AVB in many of our games this year.

Lloris, Walker, Dawson, Caulker, Vertonghen, Lennon, Dembele, Sandro, Bale, Adebayor, Defoe. That's a strong XI and all of those players have been available for more games than not, is anyone really saying that's not a team that should be challenging for a top 4 spot? Now if I told you that all of our rivals have massively flopped and are all having their worst seasons in years, would you not think we should be capitalising on it? Because if you feel that that team is good enough to challenge for a top 4 spot, then why do we need all of our rivals to flop for us to just about be in 4th place? If we were in 4th place but were ahead of teams that were on say 33 points which is typical for a top 4 side at this stage of the season, then I'd probably be a bit more tolerant, but I feel that the only reason, well ok not the only reason, but a reason I cannot ignore nonetheless, for us being in 4th place is because our rivals have sucked even harder than we could possibly have imagined.

I am more than happy to give AVB credit where it's due. Read my posts after the Swansea or West Ham games for example. But there are far more games that I can point to where he has made inexcusable errors that cost us points. If Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool had got their act together we'd be far lower down the table than we are. So given that I feel we have a strong squad, and that our rivals have been brick, I'll wait until I see something genuinely classy about AVB's performance before raving about him.

Lloris, Walker, Dawson, Caulker, Vertonghen, Lennon, Dembele, Sandro, Bale, Adebayor, Defoe. That's a strong XI and all of those players have been available for more games than not, is anyone really saying that's not a team that should be challenging for a top 4 spot? Now if I told you that all of our rivals have massively flopped and are all having their worst seasons in years, would you not think we should be capitalising on it? Because if you feel that that team is good enough to challenge for a top 4 spot, then why do we need all of our rivals to flop for us to just about be in 4th place? If we were in 4th place but were ahead of teams that were on say 33 points which is typical for a top 4 side at this stage of the season, then I'd probably be a bit more tolerant, but I feel that the only reason, well ok not the only reason, but a reason I cannot ignore nonetheless, for us being in 4th place is because our rivals have sucked even harder than we could possibly have imagined.

Strong XI, yeah, but my Loserpool mate thinks they also have a squad that is not that far from ours, and most of their team has played longer together than us. That's why he confidently predicted they could finish above us this year. It's all persoanl view.

Any new manager that came in will be measured against the yardstick set by 'Arry, and for me, it's unfortunate that we couldn't continue our development under 'Arry, he just have to go after the England-manager-elect fiasco.

I guess, the main critisms on AVB are two, one relating to playing style (we want our Tottenham back) and another relating to expectation (4th at the end of the season?). Personally, if you look at the total wages and net transfer spendings this summer, we are not even on the same level as Loserpool. Hence, personally, I won't expect AVB to overtake Scum this season yet but look at Loserpool as our closest challenger (teams like WBA, Everton and Norwich are punching above their weight). At this stage, we are much closer to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel than Loserpool and I would even dare to say, better football on the field too.

So, based on our current points total (I do agree, current league position is not a big deal) and the signs shown thus far, I would think it's only fair we give AVB some tolerance and hopefully Levy will back him with $$$ too.

Last edited:
I don't have time to reply to all the individual points again, I feel I've put my points across already and there's no point repeating them...

Fair enough mate. I responded in the detail I did at your invitation in a previous post, so all good...;)

Strong XI, yeah, but my Loserpool mate thinks they also have a squad that is not that far from ours, and most of their team has played longer together than us. That's why he confidently predicted they could finish above us this year. It's all persoanl view.

Any new manager that came in will be measured against the yardstick set by 'Arry, and for me, it's unfortunate that we couldn't continue our development under 'Arry, he just have to go after the England-manager-elect fiasco.

I guess, the main critisms on AVB are two, one relating to playing style (we want our Tottenham back) and another relating to expectation (4th at the end of the season?). Personally, if you look at the total wages and net transfer spendings this summer, we are not even on the same level as Loserpool. Hence, personally, I won't expect AVB to overtake Scum this season yet but look at Loserpool as our closest challenger (teams like WBA, Everton and Norwich are punching above their weight). At this stage, we are much closer to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel than Loserpool and I would even dare to say, better football on the field too.

So, based on our current points total (I do agree, current league position is not a big deal) and the signs shown thus far, I would think it's only fair we give AVB some tolerance and hopefully Levy will back him with $$$ too.

Mate,

You have, with this bit I've highlit, possibly helped the debate move into a whole new arena, and one which I think would make some really interesting discussion.

What is 'our Tottenham'?
Is it the swashbuckling entertaining troupe of balladeers who have so often enchanted us with their wizardry, romance and beauty, yet who have never been rewarded for it in the appropriate way since the double side?

I LOVE my Tottenham, but I will also absolutely admit that I would love my Tottenham to continue introducing a bit more pragmatism a la AVB and a bit more steely adaptability so as we can juxtapose the beauty with some 'beast'...enough to eventually see us (hopefully) do what is considered impossible in these times of oligarchs and oil men, and win the title!

I have seen some passages of beauty in our play, and yes, I have seen some pragmatism and steely adaptability. I have also seen some brick as we get to grips with the melding of the two in our overall quest to become entertaining winners who rely on the game/preparation over money to grab trophies. I'm prepared for a trade-off as long as it can bring glory.

It's a really interesting question, and I'm interested to hear others views on it.

BTW, can I just say i always enjoy your posts mate.

So Spurs, 2 points clear of Arsenal, Everton and West Brom, are now favourites for 4th place???:eek:

I wonder what the bookies say....

We're not favourites for 4th as I say, Arsenal are - the bookies have them clearly in the lead over us and rightly so, given their track record. We're favourites for 5th.

Re playing style, as long as we don't play like Stoke or the Wimbledon of old I don't really care as long as we win.

It's lovely when we win with style, but it's also lovely when we win through dour determination, grit, whatever.

I still can't see us winning the title under ENIC whichever way we play, BTW.

Sorry mate...I understand that 'everyone has injuries' but when recounting ours from PREVIOUS seasons, it helps not to exaggerate IMO.

09/10 - Modric broke his leg and missed half the season, Lennon missed half the season, King missed half the season, Woodgate who had been first choice for the previous year and a half missed practically the entire season. We still finished 4th.

Modric was out for 3 months, not half the season. He started 21 games and was used as sub in 4, whilst not at all once. 25 appearances and one non-used selection. I would argue that it was his return to health which helped us make the final push and take full advantage of the moment opening up around us.

Lennon made 20 starts and 2 as sub. I agree though, even though we missed him for easily less than half a season, his loss was noticable.

10/11 - King missed practically the entire season, Huddlestone who had started almost every game the year before missed most of the season, Defoe broke his foot and spent a good few months out, Bale missed a huge chunk of the second half of the season

Bale played 29 games in the Prem and 1 as sub, thus 30 out of 38. Not too shabby.

11/12 - Gallas had been first choice the year before but missed most of the season, Dawson missed most of the season, Huddlestone missed most of the season, Sandro and Kranjcar missed huge chunks of the first half of the season so we couldn't rotate the squad, which meant our players tired in the second half. Lennon and Parker spent time out injured in the second half too.

Gallas, most of the season? He started 15 times and was an unused sub 3 times! Kranjcar started 9 times, was a sub 3 times and was an unused sub 10 times!!!!!! Err, methinks he could've been used a bit more perhaps? Yes, Hudd missed a lot of games but wasn't first-choice (he was behind Parker, Modric and Sandro) whilst Sandro himself made 17 starts, 6 more as sub and 4 unused on the bench. Scotty Parker started 29 games, came on as sub in one and also took a couple of suspensions if I remember correctly (he was booked 8 times, he must have). The rotation argument though mate (even though that wasn't part of the initial discussion) please! Pienaar, didn't start once and on the bench unused 9 times! Danny Rose, unused 11 times. Bassong, unused 16 times. We've already discussed Niko. Pav, 11 times unused. Even Livermore was unused 11 times. Look, there were reasons not to rotate at times, not the least of which because it was the manager's choice and that's that. But we WERE able to rotate our squad mate.

If we were in 4th place but were ahead of teams that were on say 33 points which is typical for a top 4 side at this stage of the season, then I'd probably be a bit more tolerant, but I feel that the only reason, well ok not the only reason, but a reason I cannot ignore nonetheless, for us being in 4th place is because our rivals have sucked even harder than we could possibly have imagined.

Again you refuse to apply any context whatsoever to the fact he came into the club this summer and massive changes were happening all round. Why is that?

I am more than happy to give AVB credit where it's due. Read my posts after the Swansea or West Ham games for example. But there are far more games that I can point to where he has made inexcusable errors that cost us points. If Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool had got their act together we'd be far lower down the table than we are.

I'm sorry, but what on earth would you say about last season then? Or the season before when we didn't even finish 4th? Or the season before that when we did? By your theory, this is the first season we should apply the 'if our rivals got their brick together we'd be far lower down the table' theory...which frankly doesn't hold any weight whatsoever beyond it's somewhat confusing academic conjecture! Tell you what, why not throw this variable into the mix? Once AVB fully gets his brick together, then our brick under him might well be stronger than their 'together' brick is anyway?!!!! It's all getting a bit messy isn't it?!! :eek:

So given that I feel we have a strong squad, and that our rivals have been brick, I'll wait until I see something genuinely classy about AVB's performance before raving about him.

You'd have to define what 'classy' means to you. Because I think a man stepping into a huge job this summer, with huge expectations, with huge pressure from those wanting him to fail, with meagre backing in the summer window given what he wanted, with injuries to key NEW signings who were there to help ease through the transition from key players yet who never ever bleated on and on about ANY of that AND still has us in 4th place despite some learning curves and poor performances along the way, well, that, to me, is classy mate.

In the spirit of debate my friend...

Mate,

You have, with this bit I've highlit, possibly helped the debate move into a whole new arena, and one which I think would make some really interesting discussion.

What is 'our Tottenham'?
Is it the swashbuckling entertaining troupe of balladeers who have so often enchanted us with their wizardry, romance and beauty, yet who have never been rewarded for it in the appropriate way since the double side?

I LOVE my Tottenham, but I will also absolutely admit that I would love my Tottenham to continue introducing a bit more pragmatism a la AVB and a bit more steely adaptability so as we can juxtapose the beauty with some 'beast'...enough to eventually see us (hopefully) do what is considered impossible in these times of oligarchs and oil men, and win the title!

I have seen some passages of beauty in our play, and yes, I have seen some pragmatism and steely adaptability. I have also seen some brick as we get to grips with the melding of the two in our overall quest to become entertaining winners who rely on the game/preparation over money to grab trophies. I'm prepared for a trade-off as long as it can bring glory.

It's a really interesting question, and I'm interested to hear others views on it.

BTW, can I just say i always enjoy your posts mate.

Cheers, I also enjoy reading your posts. Missed the discussion here when I have to go through a lengthy absence earlier this year.

I have two mates who are so into this playing style issue that they have questioned AVB’s every moves and will start to mention that this game is so boring a quarter of hour after kick-off.

Though I could understand where they are coming from, our history and style of play was part of the reasons that made me became a fan in the first place.

But I am a fan of Tottenham Hotspur, not the mystical Spurs Way (which will not be the same for all fans anyway). I guess having bear with some of the worst Dark Age in our history (Francis, Gross, GG - how could a team that have no. 14 be so negative, Santini etc) in my lifetime as a supporter and witnessing how even Brazil has to learn to become more disciplined in order to win another world cup might have something to do with that. It’s a realization to me that the beautiful game is not just about swashbuckling skills, dazzling dribbling and great goals. Team spirit, bulldog mentality and kick-ass defending were much needed when we were referred to as a London soft touch. Maybe that’s why Leeds supporters are as proud of their past heroes as how we adore our past greats.

There’s no right and wrong as to which way is better. It’s just which side you are supporting. And who is to say neutrals won’t be attracted by blood and steel football?

I still keep my collection of video clips from the aforementioned Spurs Dark Age, they are highlights to remember and they are part of Tottenham Hotspur. Winning with eye-pleasing football is like icing on the cake, no matter how much I love icing cake, I will take the cake (win) over the icing (style) anyday.

Looking at the trend set by Barca/Spain and Bielsa’s Bilbao, there seems to be the new direction that modern football is evolving. When height, size and may be a bit of pace seems to dominate modern football, the possession and pressing football (or tiki taka) offers another venue to success (think it's quite popularly reported that Barca has the shortest first team in Europe).

I believe the way we played against Swansea was in the tradition of AVB's style at Porto: possession, pressing and high speed break-away (sadly, with Swansea defended in deep, this wasn’t very successful) and through pass behind the defense. It's impressive because we don't really have a lot of passing midfielders or dribblers (I know Barca didn't dribble often, but I love to watch footballers dribble) in our team and yet we pressed and forced 39 interceptions (highest ever in EPL for 3 or 4 seasons) against the best practitioner of tiki-taka in England.

Will it work for Spurs? I don't know. We don't really have the players eg. Defoe and Ade may not be suitable for this style (both Barca and Swansea using converted attacking midfielders Messi/Michu that can pass and kill the game)...may be it will work better if we can get Moutinho and Ba. But eventhough it might carry us into top four, I still don't think with just one or two additions, due to our team depth/quality issue, a change in style will be sufficient to carry us to the top.

The other thing I surely don’t agree is the claim that AVB’s developing team is the most boring Spurs team in years, I have seen worse with my own eyes. :-"

Last edited:
Really nicely stated mate...i think we're seeing AVB manage short-term expectations with long=-term plans. It's why I think the transfers will be by committee, will revolve around the younger player model of pre-Redknapp days and will see AVB do well in the long run. Time will tell...

Re playing style, as long as we don't play like Stoke or the Wimbledon of old I don't really care as long as we win.

It's lovely when we win with style, but it's also lovely when we win through dour determination, grit, whatever.

I still can't see us winning the title under ENIC whichever way we play, BTW.

i'm quite happy with the boring but systematic win, but if we lose, I'd like us to lose with style :)

First of all I want to see us win, then we can work on our performances. As in all walks of life it takes weeks and months to turn a group of individuals into a well oiled team. We are seeing improvements in how we play and I'm not just optimistic, but excited about what the future will bring.

Hi P & R - we're not favs for 4th, Arsenal are and rightly so - we're favs for 5th.

We are better than Arsenal are at the moment (let's see what they do in the January transfer window however), and I believe we are also better than Everton. Come the end of the season I believe it will be between ourselves and them two for 4th place.

Totally agree with all of this.

RvP's departure was the final nail in the Arsenal coffin I think. He is a world class player and he was the difference between us and them last year. They miss him a lot more than we miss Modric/VDV combined.

We are better than Arsenal are at the moment (let's see what they do in the January transfer window however), and I believe we are also better than Everton. Come the end of the season I believe it will be between ourselves and them two for 4th place.

I'm not convinced we're better than Arsenal ATM. Thy're two points behind, have a home game to our away game and have a much better GD, that seems pretty equal to me. And the bookies have them as clear favourites to finish above us, so they and the punters who drive the odds don't see us as better either I would suggest.

I think we are better than Everton and in the end it will be between us and Arsenal for 4th. ATM, I fancy Arsenal to pip us again, but with players coming back that can change. AS you rightly say the transfer window window could be decisive too.

It's beginning to look like we need another striker, but Ade can change that assumption over the next few weeks.

I'm not convinced we're better than Arsenal ATM. Thy're two points behind, have a home game to our away game and have a much better GD, that seems pretty equal to me. And the bookies have them as clear favourites to finish above us, so they and the punters who drive the odds don't see us as better either I would suggest.

I think we are better than Everton and in the end it will be between us and Arsenal for 4th. ATM, I fancy Arsenal to pip us again, but with players coming back that can change. AS you rightly say the transfer window window could be decisive too.

It's beginning to look like we need another striker, but Ade can change that assumption over the next few weeks.

We'll just have to agree to disagree! I think last season Arsenal were only just better than us, mainly down to Van Persie. Losing him is a bigger blow to them than losing Modric and VDV is to us. So if they've gone further backwards than ourselves and were only slightly better us in the first place, I'd say 4th place is very much ours to lose.

Back