• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Modric was out for 3 months, not half the season. He started 21 games and was used as sub in 4, whilst not at all once. 25 appearances and one non-used selection. I would argue that it was his return to health which helped us make the final push and take full advantage of the moment opening up around us.
Lennon made 20 starts and 2 as sub. I agree though, even though we missed him for easily less than half a season, his loss was noticable.

Both still hugely significant losses, as much as anyone we have missed this season, with the players missing in question being more important to the team back then.

Bale played 29 games in the Prem and 1 as sub, thus 30 out of 38. Not too shabby.

Not as bad as some of the others, but Dembele and Adebayor could both hit 30 games this season too, hasn't stopped people whinging about them not being fit.

Gallas, most of the season? He started 15 times and was an unused sub 3 times! That's less than half our games he was fit for. Kranjcar started 9 times, was a sub 3 times and was an unused sub 10 times!!!!!! Err, methinks he could've been used a bit more perhaps? Of course, but that's 16 games he was unavailable for, same as Parker this season Yes, Hudd missed a lot of games but wasn't first-choice (he was behind Parker, Modric and Sandro) He always featured when Harry was around, and would have brought something different to our play when things got predictable in the second half of the season whilst Sandro himself made 17 starts, 6 more as sub and 4 unused on the bench. He has already made more starts in all competitions this season and is the same in the Premier League. He had loads of niggling injuries last season and only managed to be fit enough to really hit form in the last few weeks Scotty Parker started 29 games, came on as sub in one and also took a couple of suspensions if I remember correctly (he was booked 8 times, he must have). The rotation argument though mate (even though that wasn't part of the initial discussion) please! Pienaar, didn't start once and on the bench unused 9 times! Danny Rose, unused 11 times. Bassong, unused 16 times. We've already discussed Niko. Pav, 11 times unused. Even Livermore was unused 11 times. Look, there were reasons not to rotate at times, not the least of which because it was the manager's choice and that's that. But we WERE able to rotate our squad mate.

Again you refuse to apply any context whatsoever to the fact he came into the club this summer and massive changes were happening all round. Why is that? I have done, and for the billionth time, I just don't think the changes that have taken place are anywhere near as bad and disruptive as some of you are making out, as we have been able to bring in new players and have still got some fudging good ones left over. The fact is, changes happen, and top managers deal with it, for example:

Everton 2004 - sold Rooney after finishing 17th - Finished 4th the following year despite also selling Gravesen in January
Tottenham 2005 - sold Kanoute who had been an integral part of our attack. Despite Defoe's form dipping without him, we finished 5th and only missed out on 4th because of a dodgy lasagne
Man Utd - 2006 - sold Van Nistelrooy - won the league after being miles off the pace in the previous 3 years
Arsenal 2007 - sold Henry - challenged for the title after two years of scrapping for 4th place
Liverpool 2008 - sold Crouch, Riise and Finnan, brought in Keane and Riera to play a more possession based and less direct style, they actually challenged for the title for the first time in years and only lost two games all season
Man Utd - 2009 - sold Ronaldo and Tevez - Still finished with 85 points and would have won the league if the linesman had noticed that Drogba's goal at Old Trafford was offside
2010 - It's hardly a fair comparison to point to Emirates Marketing Project getting miles better in this season after splashing big bucks, but nevertheless, lots of new players, style of play change, big improvements made.
Saudi Sportswashing Machine 2011 - Having sold Carroll in January, they were massively short of goalscorers. They also then sold Nolan who had been their second top scorer, Barton, Enrique and Routledge. I honestly thought they were going to struggle to stay in the division and I wasn't alone. They finished 5th.
Swansea 2012 - They have lost Caulker, Allen, Sinclair, Sigurdsson, basically all of last seasons best players except Vorm who has been injured and Dyer who hasn't even done that much this year. Oh, and they have a new manager too. They are currently higher than they finished last season. Norwich's new manager isn't doing badly either. No second season syndrome from either of these clubs.

Like I said, I'm not expecting miracles, but other clubs have experienced major changes before and have just got on with things, so I will not accept the changes, or the injuries, as a get out of jail free card when we still have such a strong squad that HAS been available. When we sold Carrick and replaced him with Zokora, people bleated on about a changing style of play and how it would take time, but Zokora, even though he was much faster and dynamic, was clearly a massive step backwards and of course we were going to struggle, that's not the manager's fault. But even if Dembele doesn't have Modric's first touch and passing ability, he has significantly greater physical attributes and is just as good if not better at dribbling with the ball, he has the potential to be just as good as Modric was for us. It all goes back to my point, we have lost good players, but we have signed good new ones, and we have a lot of very good players who are already settled and integrated into the side, so I don't see any need to write off the season as a transitional one.

I'm sorry, but what on earth would you say about last season then? Or the season before when we didn't even finish 4th? Or the season before that when we did? By your theory, this is the first season we should apply the 'if our rivals got their brick together we'd be far lower down the table' theory...which frankly doesn't hold any weight whatsoever beyond it's somewhat confusing academic conjecture! Tell you what, why not throw this variable into the mix? Once AVB fully gets his brick together, then our brick under him might well be stronger than their 'together' brick is anyway?!!!! It's all getting a bit messy isn't it?!!

Of course this isn't the first season that our rivals haven't got their brick together. Last year, before our rivals got their brick together, we were 10+ points ahead of them. If that was the case now then I would have my tongue far up AVB's arsehole. They have been even worse this time around so there was a great opportunity for us this time that I'd have hoped we'd seize with both hands.

You'd have to define what 'classy' means to you. Because I think a man stepping into a huge job this summer, with huge expectations HA, you're kidding right? Everyone assumed we'd never be able to carry on what we'd done post Harry and that we were finished. Credit to Levy for bringing in some excellent players to keep us competitive, with huge pressure from those wanting him to fail, with meagre backing in the summer window given what he wanted Most managers would kill to have been able to add Lloris, Vertonghen, Dembele, Sigurdsson, Dempsey and Adebayor to their squads, he knew we didn't have Chelsea's budget when he took the job, with injuries to key NEW signings who were there to help ease through the transition from key players yet who never ever bleated on and on about ANY of that AND still has us in 4th place despite some learning curves and poor performances along the way, well, that, to me, is classy mate.

Classy would be individual examples of things that other managers might not have been able to get out of their squad. A highly intelligent tactical switch. A rousing comeback from 2 goals down to win the game. A strong win away from home or against top opposition after getting a man sent off early in the game. Swashbuckling, attractive, attacking football, completely obliterating teams. A massively improved defensive record. A habit of always fighting to the death and scoring late goals. The only one of these I have seen from AVB was the very impressive change at half-time in the Emirates to go 3 at the back and pack the midfield, after the other gamble of going with an aggressive 4-4-2 away from home was also paying off - unfortunately I will remember his performance in that game more for the fact that when Adebayor got sent off he stood around gormlessly and waited until they had scored not one, not two, but three goals, before actually doing something about it, when it was clear to most of us that a change needed to be made as soon as the card came out of the ref's pocket. I can point to a lot more examples of tactical disasters this season from AVB too. So until I can figure out what exactly he has brought to the table, that Harry, Jol or even the likes of Pleat, Graham, Francis and Hoddle wouldn't have been able to do in the same position, I remain sceptical. That's not to say I rate them above AVB, just that...in true Glory-Glory style, AVB....what does he do?

In the spirit of debate my friend....

Last edited:
First of all I want to see us win, then we can work on our performances. As in all walks of life it takes weeks and months to turn a group of individuals into a well oiled team. We are seeing improvements in how we play and I'm not just optimistic, but excited about what the future will bring.

This is the importent point and why i could not understand all the knee jerk posts about AVB after a dozen games, losing King, VDV, Modric added to the injurys to players who would be starters Ekotto, Kaboul for so long was always going to make AVB's job harder.

We'll just have to agree to disagree! I think last season Arsenal were only just better than us, mainly down to Van Persie. Losing him is a bigger blow to them than losing Modric and VDV is to us. So if they've gone further backwards than ourselves and were only slightly better us in the first place, I'd say 4th place is very much ours to lose.

No probs, as you say we see it different. Let's see how things go, hopefully in March we'll both be agreeing we're favourites for 4th.

We'll just have to agree to disagree! I think last season Arsenal were only just better than us, mainly down to Van Persie. Losing him is a bigger blow to them than losing Modric and VDV is to us. So if they've gone further backwards than ourselves and were only slightly better us in the first place, I'd say 4th place is very much ours to lose.

Are you TMK? I only say this because everything you post screams TMK to me, I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I don't care whether you think that though. Besides, Jetset isn't banned from this forum so whether I'm him(I'm not but whatever) then there's not really any problem anyway.

There is because TMK was banned and then came back under another name before being banned again.

So what? that's for the mods to act on it.

He hasn't posted anything that's worthy of a ban under his new username (if he is TMK). Just because you disagree with his opinion it pretty lame that you throw that out there in hope that mods act on it.

thing with Arsenal losing RVP is that they replaced him with the French leagues top goal scorer and the German national teams top goal scorer (...i believe) so it isn't as though they have purely lost RVP without replacement, like some are making it sound. they also brought in a player of top class quality in Carzola to strengthen their midfield. Song was allowed to leave rather than forcing a move through so you would have to believe that Wenger thought it was a decent deal in order for him to allow it to go ahead.

in my mind that's a fairly similar set of circumstances to us losing Modric & VdV and replacing them with Dembele, Dempsey and Sigurdsson (id say ours would be a bigger drop in quality overall tbf) - in losing Modric AND VdV in one window i would also say that it has a bigger effect to our style of play than Arsenal losing their main goalscorer, especially when you take in to account the disruption a new manager with new ideas will bring (as opposed to the same manager being there for 17 years or whatever and the continuity that brings) that's even without looking at the injury situation which, again, i also believe we have had a rougher time of than them.

had we had the same starting XI as last year as well as the same manager then i think it would be a lot more realistic to say that we should be aiming to finish above them (or that we are favorites to do so) as it stands i don't think we can say that we should be aiming to pip them to 4th - hopefully we can and it's not an impossible task by any means - but in order to do so i think it will mean us (&AVB) having a great season

André Villas-Boas is a master of communication but not of translation

The Tottenham manager could take a leaf out of José Mourinho's book when he uses Portuguese expressions but much criticism of 'AVBinglish' is facile

A recent piece in the Daily Mail delighted in examples of what it termed "AVBinglish" – that is, the display of linguistic acrobatics during TV interviews for which André Villas-Boas has now become famous. Some of Villas-Boas' statements are, of course, hilarious and sometimes downright weird. For instance, his claim that football is "a massive sport in which we are inserted" sounds odd in any language, as does his assertion that "it can go into the equation that the third place becomes nearer to us".

Also implicit in the article is the idea that Villas-Boas has succumbed to the disease that supposedly afflicts many a modern football manager – over-elaborate and meaningless use of technical footballing jargon. Reference was made to the former Burnley chief executive Paul Fletcher's recent autobiography, where it was revealed that he had rejected Villas-Boas's application for the managerial vacancy that arose following Owen Coyle's departure from the club. Justifying his decision, Fletcher quoted Tommy Docherty: "He used to say, he never said anything to his players his milkman wouldn't understand. I don't think any milkman would fathom the meaning of André's presentation."

Being published just after Villas-Boas's premature departure from Chelsea, Fletcher's revelation fitted nicely with the new narrative being written by some of his detractors, painting him as a man of style over substance, a man-child out of his depth desperately trying to sound like a grown-up. However, this sits oddly with the perception of Villas-Boas in his home country, which is by and large that of a very bright manager who expresses himself in an eloquent and coherent manner. Indeed, his successor at Porto, Vítor Pereira, even bemoaned his own difficulty in dealing with the media, acknowledging that he was not as strong a communicator as Villas-Boas.

In general, Villas-Boas's misuse of the English language has less to do with a desire to impress his audience with convoluted David Brent-style managerial-speak, than a well-meaning attempt to fully engage with the media. As far as foreign football managers go, Villas-Boas's English is exemplary – it certainly fares better than that of Jacques Santini, Claudio Ranieri or Fabio Capello.

Villas-Boas's problem is that in many cases, these well-meaning attempts leave him open to ridicule whenever (quite often) he literally translates from Portuguese into English, but fails to translate culturally what he really means to say. When Villas-Boas said that Jermain Defoe can "smell" crosses, he is literally translating a commonly-used Portuguese idiom. Hulk, Nuno Gomes and Oscar Cardoso are all strikers who have been praised in the Portuguese media for having an ability to "smell" goals, without this being taken to be a reference to their olfactory abilities. Likewise, his praise of Michael Dawson for having great "human qualities" is not a reflection on the Tottenham captain's biological classification. In Portuguese, as in most Romance languages, references to a person's "humanity" are a perfectly acceptable form of praise, relating to a person's qualities in terms of people skills, approachability and empathy.

Villas-Boas is by no means the first foreign manager to mistranslate or to export foreign idioms into English football. Gianluca Vialli once bizarrely asserted that teams "must be strong in March, when the fish are down" – fiche is Italian for gambling chips. Villas-Boas's compatriot and mentor José Mourinho came up with a few zingers himself. Possibly the most famous of these was his "parking the bus in front of the goal" comment, made in the aftermath of a dour draw against Tottenham in the 2004-05 season. The expression elicited much amusement from the British media, to such an extent that the term has now become part of the global football lexicon.

However, Mourinho did preface his "park the bus" comment with an acknowledgement that this was a Portuguese expression. Herein lies a main difference between Villas-Boas and Mourinho: Villas-Boas probably has a wider grasp of English vocabulary but Mourinho has a stronger mastery of the English language in its cultural context, meaning that he was better able to use the media to his advantage. More importantly, Mourinho seems acutely aware at all times of the importance of projecting an image of himself that is tailored to his particular audience. His press conferences may seem hectic, off-the-cuff events, but the suspicion is that every word is measured and thought through.

This is something that can be seen throughout Mourinho's career. In his first press conference upon joining Internazionale, after proclaiming that he had learned Italian in a mere three weeks, he went on to wow his audience by displaying an impressive grasp of the Italian language, even going so far as to use Milanese slang. Later on, after joining Real Madrid, Mourinho gave an interview to the Spanish newspaper El País, in which he was asked to comment on his influences; the journalist noted that Mourinho related his life as if reading his CV from a teleprompter. The image is that of a man who strives to always be in control of the image he projects to the outside world.

Of course, the use of language in its correct cultural context only takes you so far. Language only really becomes an issue for managers if they are not successful. Juande Ramos's lack of proficiency in English was not flagged as an issue when he was leading Tottenham to a League Cup success. However, when his side embarked on an eight-match winless streak in the subsequent season, his communication skills were pointed out as one of the reasons for the team's failure. Luiz Felipe Scolari often gave long and protracted press conferences in his approximate English during his time at Chelsea, making a number of gaffes. While his early references to "Chelsea-a" and the many "mens" on his management team caused nothing more than a titter at the time, once Chelsea's performance started slipping they were seen as evidence of his incompetence and inability to adapt to a new cultural and footballing environment.

The Villas-Boas experience is quite telling in this respect. Had Paul Fletcher's autobiography been released one year earlier, when Villas-Boas was being feted as one of the most accomplished young managers in Europe, the decision not to appoint him might have looked foolish. Luckily for Fletcher, his book was released at a time when Villas-Boas's stock was at a low. Nevertheless, it is interesting to consider that a club such as Porto readily appointed Villas-Boas while Burnley discarded him as too cerebral. Fletcher's explanation that Villas-Boas's language and concepts were too complex to be understood by the club's players appears to be based on an assumption that football is a simple game for simple people. It's not just that his ideas were deemed overelaborate, it's also that the players were not considered to have the faculties to understand these ideas.

From this perspective, Burnley's dismissive attitude towards Villas-Boas's language may be more reflective of a clash in footballing culture. And this culture clash is not necessarily one that opposes the British to their continental counterparts. The same attitude can be seen with regard to Brendan Rodgers, a manager who only last season had been praised for his progressive views on football, but whose insistence on sticking to a particular tactical philosophy in post-match interviews appears to be wearing thin with some fans.

That football managers are criticised for their team's bad performances on the pitch is natural, but the ease with which critics will prey on the use of novel language by managers when they are struggling perhaps reflects a deep-seated mistrust towards new approaches in football, or more simply towards managers who are willing to express themselves beyond the safe haven of the traditional football stock phrases used by managers, players and pundits. It's not just the possibility of the message being lost in translation with which managers such as Villas-Boas must contend, it's also the danger of opening the door to mockery when that message or the manner in which it is delivered does not conform to what the prevailing football culture expects from its managers.

www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/dec/20/andre-villas-boas-avbinglish

Great article on AVB and translation, I think he's always got far too much stick considering English isn't his first language. If he's been taught it a certain way that is how he will be. Once he's been here a few years of course he will probably adjust to the cultural intracies a bit better.

Rodgers deserves stick. His first language is English and he sounds more ridiculous than David Brent while actually trying to be totally serious! I'm amazed that players take him seriously.

Really good article, that.

About time that someone in the media accurately analysed the subject from that angle.

Great article on AVB and translation, I think he's always got far too much stick considering English isn't his first language. If he's been taught it a certain way that is how he will be. Once he's been here a few years of course he will probably adjust to the cultural intracies a bit better.

Rodgers deserves stick. His first language is English and he sounds more ridiculous than David Brent while actually trying to be totally serious! I'm amazed that players take him seriously.

article-2216654-1577C7C4000005DC-685_468x286.jpg

Anyone else think our defence is getting the knack of this 'high line' malarkey? The commentators love to slate AVB for it but we were incredibly successful at catching Swansea offside on the weekend. If we can hit form in 2013 we will be a serious force to be reckoned with.

Arsenal are dog brick. Do not let the Reading result fool you. I have never - and I mean never - seen a defensive display as poor as the one exhibited against Arsenal by Reading on Monday night. McDermott getting punished for being so naive as to barely improve on the squad that won him the Championship. There is no room for sentimentality in this business. Cazorla is the only player they have that I am envious of, and the only player I really respect. Sagna too actually. You can't repeatedly sell multiple of your best players and get away with it. RVP, Song, Fabregas, Nasri and Clichy would all walk straight in to this Arsenal side.

Anyone else think our defence is getting the knack of this 'high line' malarkey? The commentators love to slate AVB for it but we were incredibly successful at catching Swansea offside on the weekend. If we can hit form in 2013 we will be a serious force to be reckoned with.

Arsenal are dog brick. Do not let the Reading result fool you. I have never - and I mean never - seen a defensive display as poor as the one exhibited against Arsenal by Reading on Monday night. McDermott getting punished for being so naive as to barely improve on the squad that won him the Championship. There is no room for sentimentality in this business. Cazorla is the only player they have that I am envious of, and the only player I really respect. Sagna too actually. You can't repeatedly sell multiple of your best players and get away with it. RVP, Song, Fabregas, Nasri and Clichy would all walk straight in to this Arsenal side.

I think Reading did the opposite of QPR. Tried to maintain the spirit in the squad of the players that got them up without disrupting it, but didn't add enough quality. QPR signed a whole new team that is obviously there for the money.

Norwich and Swansea did excellently looking back. They got promoted, signed quality but kept a core team spirit.

AVB learned English when he was a kid because he had an English grandmother. He once said:

“I have a big nose, I have red hair and I love wine. So I have a lot of English roots.”

What's far more impressive is that he's also fluent in Italian (I'm guessing from when he was at Inter), French and Spanish.

It's a good article and I think it's a key point that you should remember who your audience is when speaking. I am from London and have lots of friends from different backgrounds. I couldn't say things like "Allow it bruv, bare longting linkin them manz innit" to some of my more upper class friends, but at the same time there are certain ways I wouldn't be able to speak to my more "street" friends too. Not all footballers are stupid, but a lot of them are, and you need to take into account that even if you have this genius idea you need to make sure the person you are speaking to understands what you're saying.

A lot of the Chelsea players remembered AVB from his days as Mourinho's scout, they thought of him as this geeky youngster. Then he stepped into the dressing room as their boss and spoke in a way in which half the brick he said went straight over their heads. Mourinho wasn't a footballer, but you can tell he bonded with the players and they probably thought of him as "one of the lads" even though he was a strict boss. Ancelotti probably wasn't as close with the players but given his background as a player they respected him as one of their own. With AVB? He was a geek. And they were jocks. And they didn't like the way he spoke to them. He kind of dug his own grave a bit by alienating Anelka and Alex who were popular members of the squad, but this didn't help either.

The players at Spurs have mostly been positive about AVB's man management which suggests he's learned his lesson a bit. Also probably because there aren't the egos in our squad that there were at Chelsea's.

Answers in bold mate within your quote block...

First off mate, I did not make any comparison between RVP and Luka directly, I referred to them with regards to their importance to their specific sides. Modric was the fulcrum point of all our play for two seasons. I acknowledged RVP's relative importance. Again, we go back to choices with regards to Song, and my point was pretty detailed on that front yet you haven't commented on it directly, thus I won't repeat it more than to say it stands as i wrote before mate.

Again, not sure what point you're trying to make I expressed sympathy for Rogers!!!!!!!!!

Again I'm not sure what your point is. Further, what has the injury to Lucas last season got to do with this? Again, I have expressed sympathy for Liverpool, something frankly scarce on this board ;-)...yes the Goons have had those injuries, but they have also had Cazorla, Walcott, Ramsey, Oxelade Chamberlain, Jenkinson, the list goes on. And again you've chosen to ignore the choices that their manager of 17-odd years made with his comings and goings in the summer! His club, his decisions, for 17 years. BTW, Ade hasn't played that much because for whatever reasons you wish to believe (injury/toys from pram) he was unavailable to AVB for large patches of the season thus far. He has not been fully fit for all 17 games this season, let alone half of them.

You view it as you wish mate. I do defend him only when he is ludicrously nit-picked, without context, after a handful games as he was being nit-picked. Honestly, he's getting the same level of support and belief I gave Harry when he was appointed, and continued to give Harry through most of the shennanigans; I reached a breaking point. Give it some time and yes, perhaps criticisms and observations will be fully justified. But for now, it is my opinion that given the CONTEXT of his arrival/situation, the summer comings and goings, the sheer pressure on him due to his Chelski past plus the high-expectations, he has done very very well indeed.

Basically, you are always citing injuries as an excuse for AVB, but that didn't wash with previous managers. People didn't use that as an excuse when we finished 5th two seasons ago. I accept we've lost key players and it will take time to replace them.

I believe that posters will make excuses for managers that they liked, but won't do the same for managers they didn't like. Take Jol for example, the official line is we would have "DEFINITELY" finished 4th if it wasn't for a "dodgy lasagne", they just assume we would have rocked up and turned West Ham over that day, and considering the fact that they hate us above all else except for Millwall and would have been bang up for it regardless as it's their cup final, that is a pretty arrogant line of thinking. They desperately wanted to deny us CL football. And people will conveniently forget all the late goals we shipped that season that the manager must be accountable for in part at least. Those late goals cost us more than the lasagne did. Funny how people never say we were only denied CL football last season by a totally inept performance in goal from Martin Fulop. It's no secret I was a big fan of Redknapp, but I would never say Fulop and Fulop alone cost us a place in the CL because Harry clearly made some big fudge ups last season which also cost us.

Again, I'm not saying AVB doesn't deserve some time and patience from the supporters, but It really gets my goat when people make excuses for him EVERY TIME we drop points. There were definitely extenuating circumstance in some games, Arsenal away being a prime example, but I could cite numerous games where the manager deserves a bit of blame for the final result.

Last edited:
I think Reading did the opposite of QPR. Tried to maintain the spirit in the squad of the players that got them up without disrupting it, but didn't add enough quality. QPR signed a whole new team that is obviously there for the money.

Norwich and Swansea did excellently looking back. They got promoted, signed quality but kept a core team spirit.

Yeah, but now with Arry in, QPR will probably stay up and with that squad plus a few more will be looking at a top half finish before long. Better to go down that route (if you can afford it) than to field a completely sub-standard team with Championship-quality players starting in 9 or 10 positions. I expect QPR will hit form in the new year, while I am pretty sure Reading will come bottom. Having said that I am sure we'll lose to them at home with myself in attendance on New Year's day!

Back