• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

See this is bad. Very bad. Either he lied to the fans, or he cannot get the team to play the attacking style of football that he wants. Either way - it's bad.

No what is bad is that we are without our best midfielder, our best central defender and our first choice central defender. We finished 4th last season and Parker was a key asset as well. Without important starting 11 players we will struggle, because we do not have an amazing squad

Already? That is sad and pitiful. You want him out after 11 league games and if the next manager does not start well in 11 league games time you would want him out too? Spurs fans never cease to do my head in on here

Answer my previous question

How long are you supposed to wait before you're allowed to have made the decision that somebody is not up to the job? What if they're doing things REALLY badly? When you take a job in the real world, even if you have an outstanding CV and you interview exceptionally well then you still have a probation period. Well if AVB worked for me, and he had a probation period in his contract (I know that doesn't happen in football), I would have decided not to retain his services after what I've seen so far.

Gung-ho - actually I am not sure I do know what you mean. I have read a few different meanings but nothing really negative, it is as if you want to mean something that it does not.

I think swapping Dempsey for Defoe would put them on the back foot as there defence is brittle.

SUIYHA with our history of sacking managers over the last 20 years I personally would give him the season at the very least. We sold Modric and failed to sign the one midfield player he really wanted. After losing so many key players this season I think it would is just daft to consider a change at this time. If I were his boss I would have to either bring in some players he wants or at the very least wait until some key players are back, and come what may I would have to give him the season at least.

If I made the decision to appoint him I would suggest it makes more incompetent than the AVB if I want to sack him after so few games

COYS

Gung-ho in this context i mean playing an attacking style away from home that doesn't take into account the clear advantage our very good opposition have at monopolising possession and outnumbering us when they attack us, especially on the counter. It's not as if 4-4-2 is ilegal or anything; clearly there is a time and place for it.

Perhaps if our 2 in the middle was a Modric or a Dembele with even better vision then it's a risk worth taking. With the current CM we can put out it would have ended up being even more defensive and even more toothless. We simply would have been overrun; you can talk all you like about City's dodgy defence, but you have to be able to get the ball to even trouble them. It would have been worse if it was 4-4-2 with the players we had available.

I'll ask again, when was the last time Ade and Defoe worked well in a 4-4-2 against a top side?

It's true that we are missing players, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse as much as it is. Dembele and Assou-Ekotto might, but Kaboul and Parker won't suddenly make us start creating chances. And it's not like we're the only club with injuries - Arsenal currently have Szczesny, Diaby and Gibbs who are all first choice players out, with Gervinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey and Rosicky who are all also important players all out too. They still scored 3 against Fulham and would have won the game if Arteta had taken a better penalty.

Even considering the injuries, I don't see how Dembele being injured has anything to do with macaronic decisions like putting Gallas at RB when you have a proper RB on the bench. And that's why I've lost patience. I'd lost patience by this point with Pleat and Gross, and I could tell something wasn't quite right with Santini. I was correct on all counts. And I don't see why AVB will suddenly stop making these ridiculous tactical errors when he hasn't learned from his mistakes yet. But at least after a few tactical nightmares he managed to turn things around in his last jo....oh right.

Last edited:
SUIYHA with our history of sacking managers over the last 20 years I personally would give him the season at the very least. We sold Modric and failed to sign the one midfield player he really wanted. After losing so many key players this season I think it would is just daft to consider a change at this time. If I were his boss I would have to either bring in some players he wants or at the very least wait until some key players are back, and come what may I would have to give him the season at least.

If I made the decision to appoint him I would suggest it makes more incompetent than the AVB if I want to sack him after so few games

COYS

I wouldnt sack him and will give him a bit more time - I just want to see some improvement i.e. if he has got us more expansive but not winning thats a start. Better than fudging being boring and losing. If he is gonna be less stubborn etc and start actually showing that he is learning from certain situations i.e. not waiting till the 78th mins to make a sub.

I will ask something though if Guardiola was ready to get back into football now - would you try to take him? Could be once in a lifetime type thing... Call it opportunism

I think the point of many people (me included) is that we played 5 in midfield and did get overrun so we might as well have gone with 2 strikers and caused them problems. And I am not saying this after the event I thought this before the match, especially after seeing Defoe looking lively on Thursday. Defoe seems to be our form striker so I would have played him alongside Ade

I thought this way too over the weekend and i am not a 4-4-2 fan and i am not pro-Harry either, just to make it clear i am not against AVB.
I certainly felt the time was right around the 60 min mark to get Defoe on for Dempsey. We could not possibly have been worse, it would have been impossible.
Oh, and don't get me started on bringing on Dawson for Walker. Naughton should have been on for yellow carded,hopelessly out of form Walker at half time.Why push Gallas out to full back? Why then bring on Naughton for Lennon? Did nothing to tighten up the game and ruined, along with the other subs any chance of us breaking on the counter and scoring again.
Absolute madness, all three subs.

Tactics aside, we really saw the effect of AVB insisting on playing strong teams in every competition today. The players looked absolutely knackered. Vert was clearly worn out

Can anyone point to anything positive that AVB has brought to the team?

For the life of me, I am struggling to see any improvement anywhere at all. His negative attitude and "have what we hold" tactic of ceding possession is not the way I want my team to play. One up front and two DMs at home has just proved turgid to watch. Losing goals in the last 10 minutes and not scoring any in that time is like having a constant kick in the gut.

Lets "To dare is to do". He talks that way but certainly isnt delivering it at the moment.

I really hope there is some method in the madness, but I cant see it yet.

If I have a world class restaurant where a master chef previously prepared Michelin star meals using prime organic ingredients from some of the finest gourmet suppliers in the world of food, and if I then sack this chef for whatever reason, hire a new one, and tell him he will be able to use ingredients only from Tesco and Iceland Foods, would you still expect the same gourmet approach to food preparation?

Judge the man when he has a full set of tools. Everyone is disappointed, I'm right there with you, but the sooner people stop berating Clint Dempsey for not being Rafa Van der fudging Vaart, the better!

BTW mate, you talk of 'negativity' and I have to say that whilst again, it is frustrating, what's even more frustrating is to see the negative attitude of some supporters. I'm not saying we should have a party with jelly and ice-cream, but what I am saying is that IMHO, we should show a little more understanding of context, perspective and the situation currently.

Nope, ignoring all the fault's of somebody holding back the club you love is.

How long are you supposed to wait before you're allowed to have made the decision that somebody is not up to the job? What if they're doing things REALLY badly? When you take a job in the real world, even if you have an outstanding CV and you interview exceptionally well then you still have a probation period. Well if AVB worked for me, and he had a probation period in his contract (I know that doesn't happen in football), I would have decided not to retain his services after what I've seen so far.

Nobody wants him to succeed more than I do. I would love to rub it in the faces of all my Chelsea mates if we were successful under him. But when I've been watching him make the same mistakes week in week out that everybody except him seems to be able to spot, why should I suddenly expect him to come good?

I am delighted he does not work for you.
Judge him when he has something close to a fit squad.

It's true that we are missing players, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse as much as it is. Dembele and Assou-Ekotto might, but Kaboul and Parker won't suddenly make us start creating chances. And it's not like we're the only club with injuries - Arsenal currently have Szczesny, Diaby and Gibbs who are all first choice players out, with Gervinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey and Rosicky who are all also important players all out too. They still scored 3 against Fulham and would have won the game if Arteta had taken a better penalty.

Even considering the injuries, I don't see how Dembele being injured has anything to do with macaronic decisions like putting Gallas at RB when you have a proper RB on the bench. And that's why I've lost patience. I'd lost patience by this point with Pleat and Gross, and I could tell something wasn't quite right with Santini. I was correct on all counts. And I don't see why AVB will suddenly stop making these ridiculous tactical errors when he hasn't learned from his mistakes yet. But at least after a few tactical nightmares he managed to turn things around in his last jo....oh right.

First off, the loss of Younes Kaboul has been fudging HUGE, and if you cannot see what it has meant both in terms of tightning up at the back/working with Walker as well as being an attacking presence then I suggest glasses. Secondly, of COURSE Parker would make a difference; when he is well-rested, he closes people down, retrieves the ball and feeds immediately to get our attack moving.

I said at the time breaking up our CBs when Naughton was a straight swap was weird, but until I hear why he did it I'm not going to demand his head for it.

As for your 'record' of knowing when managers are brick, first of all predicting that Pleat was over the hill and Gross not really up to it does not get you any prizes mate. Ditto Santini, which is a whole other discussion.

I know you're hurting, like everyone, but perspective, context and patience might well serve you well here. Let's say you sack him. WHo do you bring in?

If, of course, you do genuinely think you have some prophetic beat on our managerial chair, do us all a favor, contact the club and save them would you?

I thought this way too over the weekend and i am not a 4-4-2 fan and i am not pro-Harry either, just to make it clear i am not against AVB.
I certainly felt the time was right around the 60 min mark to get Defoe on for Dempsey. We could not possibly have been worse, it would have been impossible.
Oh, and don't get me started on bringing on Dawson for Walker. Naughton should have been on for yellow carded,hopelessly out of form Walker at half time.Why push Gallas out to full back? Why then bring on Naughton for Lennon? Did nothing to tighten up the game and ruined, along with the other subs any chance of us breaking on the counter and scoring again.
Absolute madness, all three subs.

Walker got a knock.
Lennon got a knock.
Didn't understand breaking up the CBs myself.
Would've liked to have taken Dempsey off and left Ade on with JD, but he was cream-crackered and living dangerously on a yellow...

Sigh. How long have Arsenal had their manager for, pray tell?

And how many have we gone through in the same time period?

And, in regards to Arsenal's injuries, take out every player you've mentioned and they would still have:

------------------Mannonne--------------------

Sagna------Mertesacker-----Koscielny----Vermaelen

--------------------Coquelin--------------------

------------Cazorla---------Arteta------------

Walcott---------------------------------Podolski

--------------------Giroud--------------------

And that's without counting Wheelchair, Santos, Arshavin and Chamakh on the bench. (Even Oxlade Chamberlain, though apparently he's been injured)

Now, ten + years with a manager's system, and with that quality in the side, they will score against most teams.

Now, we won't use injuries as an excuse. Utterly ridiculous not to, considering Harry's defenders who often put the 'down to bare bones' thing in front of everyone, but let's ignore it.

----------------------------Friedel-------------------------------

Off-form walker---Unreliable Gallas---Caulker---Not an LB Vertonghen

------------------Sandro---------Unfit huddlestone---------------

Lennon--------------------Dempsey?----------------Bale--------

----------------------Unfit Ade/Defoe---------------------------

Against Aguero, Tevez, Dzeko, Silva, Toure and all the rest of them.

A team we lost 5-1 to at home last season. With Modric and Van Der Vaart, two players unavailable to AVB.

And the same team (minus Bale) against chelsea; a side that thrashed us 5-1 at Wembley last season.

While we still had Modric and Van Der Vaart.

And now, upcoming, the same team (possibly with Dembele) against Arsenal.

Last season, they beat us 5-2 at the Emirates, when we had; yup, you guessed it, Modric, a supremely inventive and surprisingly tenacious playmaker, and VDV, a master at finding the right spaces and making the right passes. Players again, unavailable to AVB.

We also lost 3-0 to United at OT last season. Without Modric, but with Van Der Vaart.

With the best team we've had for ages, our masterful manager achieved these spectacular results.
With a team stripped of many of the players who performed well last season, and arguably our weakest since 07-08, what the fudge do you expect of AVB?

He doesn't let players go out and express themselves, he makes a game plan that they have to adhere to. That takes time to implement.

But no, let's just sack him and bring in another poor sod who'll fail instantly before his system can take shape. And we'll sack him too, and the next guy, and the next guy. And then hire Tony Parks because no one else will take the job.

Ridiculous tactical errors, my arse. 4-4-2 at the Emirates was a tactical error. 4-4-2 at OT was a tactical error. Throwing away a ten point lead was the mother of all errors.

Not playing Defoe, or whatever other minor gripe you seem to have, is a doozie compared to the ones above. Still, let's sack him, because you have a gut feeling and as well know, having witnessed your wonderful judgement on Pleat, Santini and Gross (which I'm sure went against the grain; everyone else was obviously blindly supporting them while you alone expressed your doubts and predicted their failure), your gut feeling is never wrong.

Last edited:
Walker got a knock.
Lennon got a knock.
Didn't understand breaking up the CBs myself.
Would've liked to have taken Dempsey off and left Ade on with JD, but he was cream-crackered and living dangerously on a yellow...

Get out if here with your sensible talk and truth!!

If I have a world class restaurant where a master chef previously prepared Michelin star meals using prime organic ingredients from some of the finest gourmet suppliers in the world of food, and if I then sack this chef for whatever reason, hire a new one, and tell him he will be able to use ingredients only from Tesco and Iceland Foods, would you still expect the same gourmet approach to food preparation?

Not sure how this analogy follows really? He has some pretty good tools at his disposable at Chelsea and had them struggling to make the top 6. Mainly he seems to be getting the breaks because he's the new man and that is fair enough but lets just leave it at that because I agree that I can't see many major positives at the moment. We look far less than the sum of our parts and the injuries excuse is a well worn one.

Not sure how this analogy follows really? He has some pretty good tools at his disposable at Chelsea and had them struggling to make the top 6. Mainly he seems to be getting the breaks because he's the new man and that is fair enough but lets just leave it at that because I agree that I can't see many major positives at the moment. We look far less than the sum of our parts and the injuries excuse is a well worn one.

Que?

RDMAVB100512.jpg

Back