• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronaldo and Messi out on the same day. One less challenger to Harry for the golden boot, with Cavani or Mbappe to fall in the next round

Uruguay V Portugal, attack of the thunder cnuts. What a dilemma, Uruguay just shaded it in terms of cnutisness. Portugal were very poor and a bunch of show boaters. What's the go with Quasimodo, or whatever his name is? He's an embarrassment. What a diver! And a tattooed freak show to boot.

I like Messi better than Ronaldo, but the big question mark is how he'd fare in a different team/league. He's been great for Barca, but would he cut it in England? Germany? Ronaldo has delivered both in England and Spain, and has arguably performed better for his country than Messi too. With inferior players.

While it is a silly exercise to compare the two, if I had to choose, I'd pick Ronaldo for the above mentioned reasons. But most of all I try to appreciate them both - they will be remembered as two of the game's very best for years to come, and I was there to see them. (only on TV, but still)

Not sure Ronaldo has been better for his country than Messi. They have both got to numerous finals whilst playing for their country. Everyone gives Ronaldo credit for winning the Euros, he wasn’t even on the pitch when they won it! No way would Messi’s critics give him credit in a similar scenario, Argentina winning the Copa América in his absence for example.

For me, the key difference is the overall play and what Messi gives to the team. Messi scores just as many as Ronaldo AND creates chances for his team mates. He often provides more assists than those whose main job it is to provide chances/assists whilst being the top scorer. He is also one of the best passers of the ball in the history of the game. The pass he made for Aguero’s goal for example, no one will remember because he didn’t score the goal and they lost the game but it was a great pass.

Also don’t agree that Messi wouldn’t cut it in another league. He’s proved his worth in the CL which is the highest standard of club football, including the premier league. When English people say “Messi needs to prove himself in another league”, what they really mean is he needs to prove it in the premier league cos we have an inflated opinion of our league. If any player fails to perform in this league then he’s automatically brick regardless of their achievements in other leagues.

Last edited:
Messi kinda scored one today, internationally deflecting it off of Mercado so Lloris couldn’t get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back