• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Som vs Everton

City also did that when they were already 2-1 up and had west ham chasing them

The issue we have had is we aren’t getting ahead and bringing the opposition out

But the way we played against Everton is exactly that

I agree there are compromises
But they come once everyone does it right. You don’t make compromises when people can’t do what’s asked first otherwise they will never get there
And that's the interesting argument. Does this get better as players get used to what Ange asks and he then dials it back a bit or are we simply just conceding too many goals and the system needs some pretty big tweaks.

It's a good argument. I'm obviously more on the side of the latter but, either way, this is a fun ride to be on.

And that's the interesting argument. Does this get better as players get used to what Ange asks and he then dials it back a bit or are we simply just conceding too many goals and the system needs some pretty big tweaks.

It's a good argument. I'm obviously more on the side of the latter but, either way, this is a fun ride to be on.
I think if we take our chances
Teams attack us
And we then get more chances
That’s simplistic of course
It only works if we don’t waste as many opportunities as we do.. and that includes making the right passes (we were really bad at that on Sunday)
As well as missing actual shots

People take the "we never change" thing from Ange way too literally. He changes things every week -- he changed it at half time against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and it worked to some extent (Kulusevski instead of Sarr in midfield). We played with 3 at the back to see out some games last season. These are tactics. Here's a much better explanation of some of the tactics he's employed over the years than I could ever produce: https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/ange-postecoglou-tottenham-celtic/

What doesn't change is the philosophy. Philosophy is not tactics. He wants his team to be exciting and to score goals.

To abandoned your philosophy at the first sign of trouble is surely the weakest thing you can do as a leader. It undermines everything you say. Ange has had great success with his approach. Every job he's had has followed a similar pattern to what we're seeing at Spurs.

People would do better to look at his career rather than painting him as this "Aussie Ardiles" who is constantly being "found out" and can only work in ones and zeroes.

Last edited:
My view on the 6 is that there is the player profile and there is the role. In my opinion, a pre-injury Bents was a perfect 6 in Conte's system. He constantly protected the back four and, if there was an exposure at the back, he ate up the ground and dealt with those holes. He also had the touch and passing to do some deep lying playmaking as well. Before that, we had all seen teams pass around Hojbjerg who didn't have the mobility to play the role. Then when I think back to the season before Bissouma joined and I remember him having 3 MOTM's against us for Brighton that season, even though they lost to us in the cup. In the 2 league games he just put the deep lying Kane in his pocket and let him out at the end of the game. He also dealt with his own marker as well.

I still struggle to understand what Ange wants from his 6. He seems to want them to play on the high press, also be box-to-box whilst covering gaps for the roving full-backs. It could easily be argued that Ange's 6 is setup for failure regardless of which player you bring in. Contrary to that thought process, perhaps he's waiting for his players to switch roles and have 3 or 4 number 6's in thought process. Then we would start to see Bissouma on the end of crosses and Madds dropping in to protect the back line. Right now, Biss would be running back past Madds on his way back. Madds doesn't think like prime Dele and just do that water carrying work so willingly. Son is probably the worst in the team for switching on defensively. He's always had that about him and I doubt it will change now.

My view on the 6 is that there is the player profile and there is the role. In my opinion, a pre-injury Bents was a perfect 6 in Conte's system. He constantly protected the back four and, if there was an exposure at the back, he ate up the ground and dealt with those holes. He also had the touch and passing to do some deep lying playmaking as well. Before that, we had all seen teams pass around Hojbjerg who didn't have the mobility to play the role. Then when I think back to the season before Bissouma joined and I remember him having 3 MOTM's against us for Brighton that season, even though they lost to us in the cup. In the 2 league games he just put the deep lying Kane in his pocket and let him out at the end of the game. He also dealt with his own marker as well.

I still struggle to understand what Ange wants from his 6. He seems to want them to play on the high press, also be box-to-box whilst covering gaps for the roving full-backs. It could easily be argued that Ange's 6 is setup for failure regardless of which player you bring in. Contrary to that thought process, perhaps he's waiting for his players to switch roles and have 3 or 4 number 6's in thought process. Then we would start to see Bissouma on the end of crosses and Madds dropping in to protect the back line. Right now, Biss would be running back past Madds on his way back. Madds doesn't think like prime Dele and just do that water carrying work so willingly. Son is probably the worst in the team for switching on defensively. He's always had that about him and I doubt it will change now.
I think the role of the DM is being over played
And we won’t see the system working unless we do the damage up front first… and you ain’t doing that with son as CF against a low block. We were missing our 3 CF options don’t forget

If Maddison make his press right or doesn’t even do it… they don’t make that pass for the second goal
The first was Romero doing his thing as was Lestahs.
These are DM issues

Do you see a 6 solving some of the problem given how high we press? Genuine question coz I know you've done a lot of coaching. To me, it seems that our problems come from the defence being left exposed and that seems to be a consequence of the system and how high we press.

Well there is no guarantee that it would solve all our problems but i am pretty sure it would help, you are right about our defense being left exposed but one of the main reasons[imo] is that we lack a M/F player who has the defensive mindset. Most of our CM players at the moment tend to be more attack minded. Now i have always been of a mind that any team must have a desire to go forward to win games but our M/F has to have a balance between attacking and defending and imo we lack a player in there who strengths lay in a defensive mindset.

We do press high as you say so if anything we are more in need of a player in there who knows how to read a game and see danger coming. To be honest [imo]the likes of Maddison, Sarr, Biss are more attacking minded then defending and at times our CM is missing when the oppsing side have the ball.

Just on 'second season Ange', looking at his last two jobs (Celtic and Yokohama).

At Celtic, they conceded 22 league goals in his first season. In his second, they conceded 34 so, defensively, it got worse albeit they scored more and got more points in the second season.

At Yokohama, he finished 12th in the first year and won the league in his second. The defensive record went from 56 conceded to 38. That's a 30% improvement so fairly impressive in fairness.

We conceded 61 last season. City conceded 34 I think and Woolwich 29. To get to that level, Ange needs a 45% improvement to get to City and 52% improvement to get to Woolwich.

Just on 'second season Ange', looking at his last two jobs (Celtic and Yokohama).

At Celtic, they conceded 22 league goals in his first season. In his second, they conceded 34 so, defensively, it got worse albeit they scored more and got more points in the second season.

At Yokohama, he finished 12th in the first year and won the league in his second. The defensive record went from 56 conceded to 38. That's a 30% improvement so fairly impressive in fairness.

We conceded 61 last season. City conceded 34 I think and Woolwich 29. To get to that level, Ange needs a 45% improvement to get to City and 52% improvement to get to Woolwich.
He doesn’t need to get to their levels
We just need to take the chances more and concede less
10 more both ways in the right games makes a massive massive difference
Both are affected by by doing the basics
We’re not conceding good goals

He does to get where he's talking about getting to.

For sure, he could get 4th playing like this (Villa conceded as many as us last season). But conceding 51 goals will never have you challenging for the league.

He does to get where he's talking about getting to.

For sure, he could get 4th playing like this (Villa conceded as many as us last season). But conceding 51 goals will never have you challenging for the league.

If you go back through recent history there is one season where Chelsea conceded 54 goals (19/20) and got 4th. The Villa 61 goals conceded is as much an outlier as the Chelsea one. Most top 4 team barely concede over 40 goals. It is clear that if we have top 4 aspirations we need to be thinking just over 40 goals as our absolute maximum. Ideally we'd be below 40 goals.

League aspirations would probably be less than 30 goals.

If you go back through recent history there is one season where Chelsea conceded 54 goals (19/20) and got 4th. The Villa 61 goals conceded is as much an outlier as the Chelsea one. Most top 4 team barely concede over 40 goals. It is clear that if we have top 4 aspirations we need to be thinking just over 40 goals as our absolute maximum. Ideally we'd be below 40 goals.

League aspirations would probably be less than 30 goals.
And I think that’s what it comes down to. What are our aspirations? Second season Ange isn’t going to have us anywhere near the league and there is little to suggest he ever will. But only one manager in almost 40 years has had us challenging so is that the dealbreaker for fans?

I think it’s more than possible that Ange could get us top 4 and that’d be huge success to me. Depending on the luck of the draw, he could win us a pot albeit I do have doubts there too.

It’s all about where you see us. Some fans seem to think he should or will build towards a title charge. I don’t believe so. But that’s not the benchmark for me.

And I think that’s what it comes down to. What are our aspirations? Second season Ange isn’t going to have us anywhere near the league and there is little to suggest he ever will. But only one manager in almost 40 years has had us challenging so is that the dealbreaker for fans?

I think it’s more than possible that Ange could get us top 4 and that’d be huge success to me. Depending on the luck of the draw, he could win us a pot albeit I do have doubts there too.

It’s all about where you see us. Some fans seem to think he should or will build towards a title charge. I don’t believe so. But that’s not the benchmark for me.
A title charge is years away
And we should never forget other teams will progress too
But this year I’m very confident of a CL finish

To be honest i think a title charge is above the team for a few years yet, my hopes are that we become more of a challenge for the top four and along the way win a trophy as its been too long since we have done that. IF we manage a pot or two then we can start thinking of a title challenge.

I think the reason I'm so watchful of our tactical system is because if those governance bodies do come down heavy on City, Chelsea etc then we need to be READY for that title challenge that can't currently exist. We know the lot from Woolwich are ready and waiting. Liverpool are also ready. Both clubs run on the same operating model as us. We need to grow into what they've recently become, and quickly.

I've always had the question in my head are Spurs optimised based on their resources. The answer has been NO for a long time. It really is so much closer now with the stadium, the budgets and the squad evolution. We can now peak much higher than before, if Ange gets this tactical system right.

When you think about the governance body cycles, it could be as early as next season when that window opens for us to challenge.

The goal should always be building towards a title charge. That won't happen in one or two seasons. We seem to finally have a long term strategy in place to get us there on the recruitment side. It will always need a bit of luck with a number of players really fulfilling their potential and staying injury free like has happened with Arsenal. If the likes of Moore, Bergvall, Moore and a couple of others all reach their potential then we will start to have the makings of a side that can challenge. For now the main thing is to see progress and hopefully win a trophy of any kind.

If he’s talking about winning things then we absolutely will need to improve our goals against record. Liverpool won diddly squat under Brendan Rodgers despite scoring plenty of goals and having a world class striker in Luis Suarez because they conceded circa 55 goals. You’re looking at conceding no more than 35-40 if you want to challenge for the league.

If he’s talking about winning things then we absolutely will need to improve our goals against record. Liverpool won diddly squat under Brendan Rodgers despite scoring plenty of goals and having a world class striker in Luis Suarez because they conceded circa 55 goals. You’re looking at conceding no more than 35-40 if you want to challenge for the league.

Do you think we should be challenging for the league this season?

Didn’t they finish second and were gonna win it if Gerrard didn’t slip ?
That is surely a team that challenged for the league

Back