• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Not denying that it was onside and a poor call but find it slightly interesting that the first replay and freeze they did on MotD showed the ball beside Micky V as Salah played it forward and then every other line drawn is a frame or two earlier where the ball isn't visible.

Not sure it really matters but it smacks of trying to choose a frame where the onside was most obvious rather than necessarily when the ball actually left the foot.

As for the 2 red cards don't think there should be much argument. Jones went over the top of the ball and making contact with the ball makes no odds. it was dangerous if not malicious.

In real time it looks like Jota clipped Udogie and VAR isn't used to overturn yellow cards so all that pontificating at the slow-mos in the studio are meaningless and the 2nd Yellow was deserved.

Your missing out refs in my grandson league get £20 for kids games and £30 for senior games, some do two games, one after the other.

When I played for my U14 team back in 2008 our manager would always end up being the ref and he would say that the referee hadn't turned up. I found it odd that our manager was the ref for more or less every home game

The manager was in charge of arranging reffing locally for that level.

He got banned by the FA in the end because turned out he was purposefully fitting as many games into a Sunday with him as ref as he could so he could pocket the money!

When I played for my U14 team back in 2008 our manager would always end up being the ref and he would say that the referee hadn't turned up. I found it odd that our manager was the ref for more or less every home game

The manager was in charge of arranging reffing locally for that level.

He got banned by the FA in the end because turned out he was purposefully fitting as many games into a Sunday with him as ref as he could so he could pocket the money!

In my youth club team the bloke who run it bought one of our players boots as he only had plimsolls (no trainers back then), different world, different people.

So it looks like both the VAR and his assistant were not looking when the goal was given as offside.

Would be interesting to know what the fudge else they were doing instead of the world's easiest job.

Last edited:
Is there a lack of other options?
This isn't just an issue in England either. Poor officials are everywhere.
Scale it back to "clear and obvious errors" or "where the ref asks for a car help because he isn't sure", much like rugby. And judging by the audio from the weekend - some basic technology and communication abilities.

I have said it sooooooo many times, VAR was made to aid incompetent refs, the problem is it’s the incompetent refs who are in charge of VAR.

Back