• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

Raziak and Saha were very good lower EPL/upper championship players too. It's the next step up that they couldn't make.

We usually regret it when we do buy players in January - Alli and Dawson being about the only exceptions from the past 10-12 years.

Agree with it being expensive, but justifiable insurance in my opinion.

Disagree with Austin being Rasiak/Saha, the guy has a 1 in 2 goal scoring record (or better) for every club and at every level he has played, may not be pretty but he knows how to find the back of the net.

None of our options are likely to be that prolific (this season).

I'd be tempted to buy him, play him & Njie or him & Son in UEFA/FA cup until the semi's or better, as well as giving us the option to pull Kane 15 mins from end of games where we are leading comfortably.

If we don't buy someone, we will regret it ...

I agree with you that we do need someone. If the reports are to be believed then Poch turned down the chance to sign Austin on account of him not fitting to our system and he'd rather do with our existing options. I believe that he would fit into our system, but I trust Poch's judgment more than mine! I think he will go for another youngster, so perhaps Moussa Dembele the second is the one that will happen. I would imagine that Mitchell has been working on this since September so will be intriguing to see what happens.

I agree with you that we do need someone. If the reports are to be believed then Poch turned down the chance to sign Austin on account of him not fitting to our system and he'd rather do with our existing options. I believe that he would fit into our system, but I trust Poch's judgment more than mine! I think he will go for another youngster, so perhaps Moussa Dembele the second is the one that will happen. I would imagine that Mitchell has been working on this since September so will be intriguing to see what happens.

I get it, get what GB is saying ... I just think for once Poch needs to make a Harry type signing (point in time, for right now, no other reasoning)

Dembele or another youngster doesn't help us this season.

Someone like Austin could be the insurance of 3-5 extra points, buy for 8M and even if you sold in a year, probably get 5M back ... minimum risk vs, the alternative.

btw, not a huge Austin fan, just think proven is what we need right now, similar alternative (if there is one), would work just as well.

Agree that if Pochettino wants him and thinks he can mould him into the player we need then go for it! Our competence in the summer transfer window seems obvious.

I'm just not convinced that he actually is as much of a prime target as some seem to think.
If he wasn't a prime target then the size of our final bid on transfer deadline day suggests that we were in a huge panic.

Yeah I read somewhere if Burnley could prove we bid for Ings then they'd get £10m plus?

Regarding Berahino Im not convinced we will be back in for him - We went for him before we got Son, as has been previously mentioned we have so many similar types to him do we really want or need another one? Surely we need someone who like Kane can play up top on his own, I don't think Berahino is that player....
We also went for Berahino after we got Son. In fact all of our serious bidding for Berahino was done after we got Son.

Davy Klaassen was someone I was thinking of. He isn't even an out-and-out striker (attacking midfielder, essentially, who's used in utility man roles all across the middle: he was a defensive mid last season, for example), but Frank De Boer likes playing him there because he offers more movement and sharpness than his other options at present (Arkadiusz Milik), and he does fairly well playing a false #9 role, holding the ball up and bringing others into play before attacking the box late himself. He's captain of Ajax at 22, is a great person off the pitch apparently (humble, quiet leader, content to not kick up a fuss), works hard in games and apparently a demon in training ('never satisfied with himself', apparently).

I've come to accept that an out-and-out striker isn't necessarily someone Poch would like: versatility and off-the-field attributes (work-rate in training, desire, humility, etcetera) seem as important to him as pure backup for Kane. Maybe Klaassen fits the bill: after all, not only can he play up front, he can play nearly everywhere (across midfield and up front) without looking out of place.

I get it, get what GB is saying ... I just think for once Poch needs to make a Harry type signing (point in time, for right now, no other reasoning)

Dembele or another youngster doesn't help us this season.

Someone like Austin could be the insurance of 3-5 extra points, buy for 8M and even if you sold in a year, probably get 5M back ... minimum risk vs, the alternative.

btw, not a huge Austin fan, just think proven is what we need right now, similar alternative (if there is one), would work just as well.

I can't see how we could fail with Austin either. Like you I think this is the only area of the team to strengthen unless a ridiculous deal presents itself.

Davy Klaassen was someone I was thinking of. He isn't even an out-and-out striker (attacking midfielder, essentially, who's used in utility man roles all across the middle: he was a defensive mid last season, for example), but Frank De Boer likes playing him there because he offers more movement and sharpness than his other options at present (Arkadiusz Milik), and he does fairly well playing a false #9 role, holding the ball up and bringing others into play before attacking the box late himself. He's captain of Ajax at 22, is a great person off the pitch apparently (humble, quiet leader, content to not kick up a fuss), works hard in games and apparently a demon in training ('never satisfied with himself', apparently).

I've come to accept that an out-and-out striker isn't necessarily someone Poch would like: versatility and off-the-field attributes (work-rate in training, desire, humility, etcetera) seem as important to him as pure backup for Kane. Maybe Klaassen fits the bill: after all, not only can he play up front, he can play nearly everywhere (across midfield and up front) without looking out of place.

I have no idea on Klaasen, but he certainly seems to have a good pedigree. A personal preference, but I want a proper 9 rather than a false one. It will be an interesting window that's for sure!

Son looked good at CF against Qarabag and Njie played CF yesterday (not ideal for a pacy forward to play against bus parkers). Harrison got called up to the senior squad the other day and Coulthirst is back from his loan too

I think it's useful to have someone more Kane-like who can deputise for him, but we do have options.

Austin really isn't a good player. He's another Rasiak/Saha, with a very risky injury concern, whose price will drop £8m in 5 months (he'll be free in the summer).
I don't think Son is suited to playing as a number 9. I also don't think N'Jie is suited to playing there.

Son looks like a player who would be comfortable playing in the 7, 10 or 11 positions. N'Jie looks like he is a 7 or 11 only.

I think that either player is probably capable as playing as a number 9, but only if Kane is behind playing as the number 10 (and that kind of defeats the purpose). While we are by no means a long ball team, our gameplan does involve getting passes into Kane who has to take those balls with his back to goal and hold the defenders off. Both Son and N'Jie instead play the game on the half turn. If either were up front on their own I think we would see the ball being over turned by the opposition far too often.

I'm not sure that Berahino is the answer either, as I'm not convinced that he could play as the number 9 without Kane playing 10 behind him.

IMO Coulthirst isn't good enough to play for our first team yet and I don't believe he will ever quite be good enough for that level. I think he'll have a playing career at Championship level. Harrison is also not ready to play for our first team yet, although I think he may become so in future. My thoughts are that it is at least 2 years away though and he needs at least one good loan move.

I agree that Austin is a risk in terms of injury and also his contract situation means we won't drop any real money on him. However you couldn't be further from the truth in comparing him to Rasiak. If you are comparing him to Saha then that is more fair, as long as you're comparing him to the mid 20s Saha and not the one on his last legs that Harry took for 6 months. While I know that you clearly don't rate Austin, I wonder whether you have actually ever bothered to actually watch him? He is probably one of the most Kane-like strikers that we could get.

My thoughts are that we need a player who is first and foremost a number 9, but who can also operate as either a 10 or a wide forward. I can't think of too many of those types of player however. Austin would suit us pretty well, but his contract situation means that Levy would never pay QPR's asking price for him. The player is also quite likely to want to see his contract out and pick up a very big wage going on a freebie in the summer. It is for that reason why I keep banging on about nabbing Dembele from Fulham as an investment for the future but leaving him at Fulham for the rest of the season, while we also take Negredo on loan to provide top class cover for Kane. We would then be catered for in the here and now as well as the future.

Raziak and Saha were very good lower EPL/upper championship players too. It's the next step up that they couldn't make.

We usually regret it when we do buy players in January - Alli and Dawson being about the only exceptions from the past 10-12 years.
I sometimes wonder whether you have actually watched the players you comment on? Saha a good lower EPL/upper championship player? Did you see him play when he was at his peak?... He was a fantastic striker who was sometimes impossible to defend against.

Saha was better than that. I also think that there are more exceptions to the players that we have signed in January. To name but a few:

Keane, Defoe (twice), Palacios, Woodgate. Even Chimbonda was good value! Holtby and even Ghaly contributed.
Mido was another one. A good loan signing at the time, I think probably brought to provide cover/competition for Kanoute.

Another option to consider - Islam Slimani?

6 foot 2", almost 1 goal every 2 games for Algeria and the same record for Sporting Lisbon.

I think he is also going into the last 18 months of his contract at Sporting. I think he would be well within our financial means both for the transfer fee and wage demands.

I have no idea on Klaasen, but he certainly seems to have a good pedigree. A personal preference, but I want a proper 9 rather than a false one. It will be an interesting window that's for sure!

I would too. But the thing is, when that Austin news came out, I actually sat down for a spare hour and a half and thought long and hard about what kind of striker Poch would prefer, and what strikers currently plying their trade in Europe's top leagues fit that bill. I came up with a bloody formidable list of requirements:

- Young, certainly not over 27-ish (see Lyall Thomas' tweets about that subject)
- Uber fit, stamina sufficient to run all day ('you need three lungs to play under Poch' as one Soton player once remarked)
- Willing enough to adapt to Poch's hard-running, excessively demanding style
- Good technical ability, to play short and long passes as the quick transitions demand
- Strong, to avoid being outmuscled when pressing/closing down
- Big enough to be competent in the air, to act as a substitute for Kane when he isn't available
- Enough of a record to show that he'd suceed in the Premier League
- Perhaps most importantly, a good person - reasonably humble, gets along with his team-mates, reasonably unselfish, willing to give his all for the team and his manager, not a prima donna.

That is as near to a 'complete' striker as you'll get, I think.

And then, on top of that, you'd have to add Levy's requirements: not carrying an injury which would impact on our ability to get insurance for him, resale value, not from clubs that would extract returns from our own club in the future (ie, United, for example: they'd likely insist that Kane/Lloris be included in any transfers of their players), not from clubs our chairman doesn't get along with (see Football Club, Southampton), etcera.

And to go even further, you'd have to find someone who was willing to rotate with Kane and spend some time on the bench: the first-choice CF position at this club, after all, is already taken.

And, running through all the strikers successfully plying their trade in Europe, I honestly came up very, very short: I found very few players that fit the bill. The ones that did were either impossibilities (Lewandowski, Giroud to an extent, Morata, etcetera), too expensive to pursue in January (Michy Batshuayi, Bas Dost, Kevin Volland), or (in the case of lesser-knowns like Depoitre, Milik and Khouma Babacar) too unproven to be worth the lesser-but-still-daunting price they'd command in January.

It's a punishing algorithm to pursue when searching for a player, and that's without factoring in Mitchell's basic statistical analyses, which no doubt will prune the list even further. The only one that really stuck in my mind after all that is Klaassen.

I don't think Son is suited to playing as a number 9. I also don't think N'Jie is suited to playing there.

N'Jie looks like he is a 7 or 11 only.

I cant see Njie making it at the really top level unless its as a no 9. He doesn't have the footballing ability (dribbling, control, crossing, passing etc) to play out there. As a no 9, if he beats his man for pace then he's through; out wide, if he beats his man for pace then he still has to do something else, whether play an accurate pass, cross or dribble with it. His pace is his real asset - CF is the best place for him to use that

Oh, and Stefan Kiessling, of Bayer Leverkusen: he's 31 (will be 32 in January), so he doesn't tick a lot of Levy's boxes (or, indeed, Poch's), but he's like the proto-typical Poch player. Big, strong, fit, crazy work-rate, nice guy, goalscorer, leader of the line in a Bayer Leverkusen team that did furious pressing and turnover attacks long before we did. And apparently he wants out in January if he can't get playing time at Bayer (Hernandez took his spot), so he wouldn't cost a bomb. But, like I said...there's drawbacks to him as well.

I would too. But the thing is, when that Austin news came out, I actually sat down for a spare hour and a half and thought long and hard about what kind of striker Poch would prefer, and what strikers currently plying their trade in Europe's top leagues fit that bill. I came up with a bloody formidable list of requirements:

- Young, certainly not over 27-ish (see Lyall Thomas' tweets about that subject)
- Uber fit, stamina sufficient to run all day ('you need three lungs to play under Poch' as one Soton player once remarked)
- Willing enough to adapt to Poch's hard-running, excessively demanding style
- Good technical ability, to play short and long passes as the quick transitions demand
- Strong, to avoid being outmuscled when pressing/closing down
- Big enough to be competent in the air, to act as a substitute for Kane when he isn't available
- Enough of a record to show that he'd suceed in the Premier League
- Perhaps most importantly, a good person - reasonably humble, gets along with his team-mates, reasonably unselfish, willing to give his all for the team and his manager, not a prima donna.

That is as near to a 'complete' striker as you'll get, I think.

And then, on top of that, you'd have to add Levy's requirements: not carrying an injury which would impact on our ability to get insurance for him, resale value, not from clubs that would extract returns from our own club in the future (ie, United, for example: they'd likely insist that Kane/Lloris be included in any transfers of their players), not from clubs our chairman doesn't get along with (see Football Club, Southampton), etcera.

And, running through all the strikers successfully plying their trade in Europe, I honestly came up very, very short: I found very few players that fit the bill. The ones that did were either impossibilities (Lewandowski, Giroud to an extent, Morata, etcetera), too expensive to pursue in January (Michy Batshuayi, Bas Dost, Kevin Volland), or (in the case of lesser-knowns like Depoitre, Milik and Khouma Babacar) too unproven to be worth the lesser-but-still-daunting price they'd command in January.

It's a punishing algorithm to pursue when searching for a player, and that's without factoring in Mitchell's basic statistical analyses, which no doubt will prune the list even further. The only one that really stuck in my mind after all that is Klaassen.
Excellent post Dubai.... What about the following as other possibilities....

Lacazette (too expensive? Too desired by other teams?)
Zaza (work rate?)
Icardi?
Alcacar (too expensive? Too desired by other teams?)
Embolo (too raw?)
Slimani (enough work rate?)
Negredo (too old?)

I cant see Njie making it at the really top level unless its as a no 9. He doesn't have the footballing ability (dribbling, control, crossing, passing etc) to play out there. As a no 9, if he beats his man for pace then he's through; out wide, if he beats his man for pace then he still has to do something else, whether play an accurate pass, cross or dribble with it. His pace is his real asset - CF is the best place for him to use that
I disagree. I don't think he has the physical attributes to play as a number 9. I'm also not convinced that his movement is clever enough.

We also went for Berahino after we got Son. In fact all of our serious bidding for Berahino was done after we got Son.

I don't believe that at all. It's what Levy perhaps wanted to portray, but I'm pretty confident all the Berahino bluster on deadline day was just for the cameras.

The exact zero net spend (again, 11th window in a row) and how similar a player Son is to Berahino, seems very strongly to suggest to me that he was instead of Berahino.

Back