• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

we know we need to strengten certain positions and should really go all in to get the ones we want as early as possible (will be difficult to sign players during the euros i'd imagine), in stead we sit and wait for the deal of the century while other clubs nick our targets from under our noses, ending up with sahas and nelsens!! been here so many times before and we never learn. Depressing.

but we did get some surprises success too. we cant always have it our way. Carrick, bargain. Berbatov, bargain, Davids, bargain, Modric, bargain, Bale, bargain, Ekotto, bargain, Walker, bargain, Dawson, bargain, sandro, bargain etc.

when was the last time we paid over the odds for any player? ok, we may have missed out on Marin and Podolski and maybe Vertonghen but thats not 100% dead but we arnt the automatic first option for players. especially with the squad being this good on paper - only top players will be able to dislodge our current 1st choices because Harry keeps his 1st team and dosnt rotate.

but we did get some surprises success too. we cant always have it our way. Carrick, bargain. Berbatov, bargain, Davids, bargain, Modric, bargain, Bale, bargain, Ekotto, bargain, Walker, bargain, Dawson, bargain, sandro, bargain etc.

when was the last time we paid over the odds for any player? ok, we may have missed out on Marin and Podolski and maybe Vertonghen but thats not 100% dead but we arnt the automatic first option for players. especially with the squad being this good on paper - only top players will be able to dislodge our current 1st choices because Harry keeps his 1st team and dosnt rotate.

I somehow missed the Marin transfer to Chelsea. Actually I'm not too bothered about Marin and Podolski. They've had mixed success at their clubs in recent years and I guess that might rule Chelsea out of any Modric transfer nonsense.

Hazard and Vertoghen have been on the clubs radar for a long time so either the groundwork is already done or it's never going to happen. CL is all important but other clubs can offer bigger wages so there's not much we can we can do on that front. Once the big boys (financially) come in we don't stand a chance. Our only ace was hanging onto to 3rd spot and now that will come back to hurt us in the transfer window too. But it's not all doom and gloom as 4th spot will persuade a few players to move also.

Thing is Marin and Podolski are the players we should be targeting, 2nd tier of players yet young enough and with enough talent demonstrated that they could fire us up the league. Both were cheap for today's standards and probably not on crazy wages either.

If Hazard ends up at City I really think we should make a concerted effort to get in Adam Johnson.

Presuming we keep hold of Bale and Lennon - Johnson and one of Jarvis/Hoilett would be good additions to fight for the wide berths imo.

If Hazard ends up at City I really think we should make a concerted effort to get in Adam Johnson.

Presuming we keep hold of Bale and Lennon - Johnson and one of Jarvis/Hoilett would be good additions to fight for the wide berths imo.

I agree with the intent, however Adam Johnson is probably on higher wages then Modric already. He would have to take a serious pay cut to join us.

Johnson is very overrated.

I would actually rather see us bring back Pienaar.

pienaar hasnt played well for us though

I agree, but neither has Adam Johnson ;)

This will probably sound very rude towards stinkfoot, but I get this feeling that anyone who rates Adam Johnson highly mostly have that opinion from watching highlights and little else.

Decent impact player, offers something a bit different. Problem is that he offers only that something a bit different, nothing else. Cut inside, fire shots from almost impossible angles, rinse and repeat, score the occasional wondergoal, but almost exclusively against fairly poor opponents when City are cruising anyway, look good on highlights.

This will probably sound very rude towards stinkfoot, but I get this feeling that anyone who rates Adam Johnson highly mostly have that opinion from watching highlights and little else.

Decent impact player, offers something a bit different. Problem is that he offers only that something a bit different, nothing else. Cut inside, fire shots from almost impossible angles, rinse and repeat, score the occasional wondergoal, but almost exclusively against fairly poor opponents when City are cruising anyway, look good on highlights.

Yes, but this is how city choose to use him. Whats to say he wouldn't be a different type of player if he player more?

His firing shots from impossible angles probably stems from him wanting to make some sort of difference despite only playing for 15 minutes every couple of weeks.

Not saying he could be world class, but it's difficult to really judge him under the circumstances.

Yes, but this is how city choose to use him. Whats to say he wouldn't be a different type of player if he player more?

His firing shots from impossible angles probably stems from him wanting to make some sort of difference despite only playing for 15 minutes every couple of weeks.

Not saying he could be world class, but it's difficult to really judge him under the circumstances.

I've seen him start several games for City, normally he starts reasonably well and then quickly fades. He's been at City for quite a while now, and hasn't really improved. He doesn't track back anywhere near enough for my liking, he doesn't really function as part of a team in attack either. Just doesn't seem to have a good footballing brain at all. Not the biggest Mancini fan, but he has developed quite a few of their players quite well while Johnson is still just the same.

Of course he could improve, as could any fairly talented, but overall mediocre player around and if we sign him I will of course hope that he does. I just don't see any reason to think that he will, or to think that he should be rated anywhere near as highly as some people seem to rate him.

Would rather have Downing.

that is possibly true, except i kind of have known about johnson for a VERY long time and also seen him full 90 mins

there is no denying his skills but i do agree that he is best used as an impact man. but i also feel that he would have offered more for if he were here rather than pienaar

With Brain on this one, Adam Johnson has had plenty of chances to shine outside of just 10 minutes in a game which has already been won/lost. Flattering to decieve on a regular basis. And also not disciplined or pacy enough to work as a winger in a 4-4-2 but not suited to a 4-3-3 either. Also has a really annoying face.

Ha! No offense taken mate.

Besides which, if we all had the same opinion this forum would make for an incredibly boring deviation from the work I should be doing...

In a sense, you're right of course. Then again, how many of us have seen Hazard play a full 90 in the flesh? Or Damiao?

Edit: oh and I want to add in my original post I described a scenario of Johnson being there to fight for a place with Bale & Lennon so most of the time he would be used as an impact player.

Last edited:
that is possibly true, except i kind of have known about johnson for a VERY long time and also seen him full 90 mins

there is no denying his skills but i do agree that he is best used as an impact man. but i also feel that he would have offered more for if he were here rather than pienaar

Pienaar could at least be trusted to work for the team and put a shift in. So when we needed him in some tough games last season we could put him on the pitch. I wouldn't trust Adam Johnson with being a part of a team in a big game at all.

He has some skills, good dribbler, fairly quick and strikes the ball well, very well with his left. That on it's own is far from enough though and he hasn't showed anything so far to indicate that he's ready to step up from that.

Would rather see us bring in Hoilett who is a lot younger so he has more time to improve and will be a lot cheaper. Let Johnson go to Liverpool like he should, that's where at some point probably talented overpaid players are supposed to go these days.

Ha! No offense taken mate.

Besides which, if we all had the same opinion this forum would make for an incredibly boring deviation from the work I should be doing...

In a sense, you're right of course. Then again, how many of us have seen Hazard play a full 90 in the flesh? Or Damiao?

Good :)

I certainly haven't watched either of those players enough to make anywhere near a good decision on how good they are. There's a difference between that and Johnson who I have watched quite a lot and who I think is proven to be not good enough.

Back